AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-10, 21:50   Link #21
Monkey D. Luffy

Yeah the fist episode was a bit slow but hey it's the first episode I expect it to pick up but I thought it was a nice episode, now I'm just waiting for the subs.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 06:30   Link #22
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I just followed along using the translated manga from here: http://wmexpressway.net/
Old 2007-06-11, 13:53   Link #23
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Being an Initial D fan, I may like this one.
Artwork & CG are better than Initial D, at least.

However, it's going to be painful watching two episodes per month.
But Initial D 4th stage was like 2 episodes per 2 months???
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 17:04   Link #24
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Ah, this is one of those rare times that I artificially inflated my thoughts of a series before it was aired. I'm not exactly impressed with the character designs or the CG car action, but the sound effects killed it for me. The Devil Z barely sounds like it has a bolt-on muffler, let alone the 600+ hp beast that it really is. The Blackbird sounded like a Porsche should, but like a stock Porsche, not a highly modified one. And let's not forget the ever-accelerating sound with numerous shift changes that yield no change in speed, a la the Fast and the Furious (/me cries).

I'm disappointed, but for now I'll withhold final judgment.
Old 2007-06-11, 17:43   Link #25
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
The Devil Z is missing the distinct BOV sound it had, but I'm hoping that we hear that in the later episodes.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 18:05   Link #26
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

It seems to share its BOV with the one from Nakazato's R32.
Old 2007-06-11, 19:53   Link #27
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

idk merines, initial D 4th stage almost made it to my list of failures, and I actually own an FD.

actually i thought wagan midnight was based off the video game, but its good to see it was actually a manga series first. this might make it really worth watching instead of a cheap cash in spin off oVA.

i would have liked this series to focus more on 'classic' cars. the older nissans were a true enthusiasts car. Im not interested in a show about exotic high class vehicles that no one can actually afford.
and im also a big best motoring fan. that old guy who loves hondas, he is such a fruit cake.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 20:50   Link #28
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
IDS4 was only good for the races. Fortunately, by then they'd gotten quite good at the touge setting and concentrated on racing only. WM doesn't really seem to have the 'feel' of speed that is so important. The portrayal of the Devil Z and BlackBird swerving between box trucks, and then suddenly being over 220 km/h, tends to stretch the imagination quite a bit. The editing of the race clips aren't done particularly well, only appearing to show the cars streaming along at top speed... and yet the tone of the engine seems to be constantly increasing in speed. I don't know, this kind of technical stuff bothers me quite a bit.

Unfortunately, the only older car in WM is the S30 Fairlady Z. The 964, R32 GTR, FD3S, etc., are all from the more modern age of Japanese sports cars. And there's the Testarossa... But that truly is/was an exotic.

The old guy... Gan-san? I'm not sure, I usually stick to the Hot Version segments.
Old 2007-06-11, 21:08   Link #29
slidingk1

Wangan Midnight I'll reserve judgement till I see more episodes. I honestly don't expect much out of it as an anime like I didn't expect much out of the manga. To be honest there will always be those that try deperatly to capture the tuning lifestyle. However, it always gets lost in either being a "corperate bling off" or a "Dukes of Hazard moment" where the car defies physics.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 21:23   Link #30
monir
cho~ kakkoii

There hasn't been a show for the car-nuts in a while.. and looky here. We now have a small gathering of us nuts/bolts. I quite liked the first episode though the similarity with Initial D is just too striking to shake of the Deja Vu. Either way, don't care even if it's a rip off as long as there are races accompanied by engaging techno and convenient physics to bend some of those universal rules.

Oh, and thank you OMF (One Man Fansub) for such a blazing-ly quick release.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 21:37   Link #31
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

I thought the Devil Z car was familiar. This series is related to the video game Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, an arcade game popular in the Philippines. I occasionally play the sequel (Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2), and my cars are the Toyota Supra RZ Mark IV and the Mitsubishi Lancer GTO Twin Turbo, both now at the 2nd storyline and now maxed out at 720BHP.

Here are my game cards (the upper 3 are "discarded cards", the bottom two are my active cards):

I gotta admit I kinda have a "crush" on Reina Akikawa, who is no slouch and does put up a challenge in the games (and spews out a few sexy taunts while she's at it). Can't wait to see her animated and voiced .
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 21:39   Link #32
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
as a car buff, th first episode did nothing for me. I enjoyed Initial D for it's entertainment and characters. Also having owned an FD, an AE86, S13, 180sx, S14, and 2 Corvettes, I appreciate listening to the different engines and exhausts.

Hoping this one picks up, but so far not holding my breath.
Old 2007-06-11, 22:02   Link #33
Monkey D. Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil View Post
I thought the Devil Z car was familiar. This series is related to the video game Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, an arcade game popular in the Philippines. I occasionally play the sequel (Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2), and my cars are the Toyota Supra RZ Mark IV and the Mitsubishi Lancer GTO Twin Turbo, both now at the 2nd storyline and now maxed out at 720BHP.

Here are my game cards (the upper 3 are "discarded cards", the bottom two are my active cards):

I gotta admit I kinda have a "crush" on Reina Akikawa, who is no slouch and does put up a challenge in the games (and spews out a few sexy taunts while she's at it). Can't wait to see her animated and voiced .
Nice cards, man.

Anyway thanks One Man Fansubs for subbing this so fast, I look forward to episode two. To everyone saying that they're a bit dissapointed or that it has too many Initial D similarities lets wait fot the story to develop.

I do wish that the cars had better sound effects some of thyem just sounded like it was from another car.

Last edited by Monkey D. Luffy; 2007-06-11 at 22:12.
Monkey D. Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 22:03   Link #34
italidesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil View Post

This game has play all over the world! the US included. I'm A HUUUUGE car nut. Especially Japanese cars. This show did not feel dast at all...and i prefer what initial D had with something called a turn! I'm surprised because suposely Keichi Tsychiya is supose to be the technical director of this show...I'm willing to give it more of a chance though. Now that reminds me I better make sure my girlfriendbrings me home that DVd from Japan. The new hot version.
italidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 23:19   Link #35
slidingk1

Ok I saw the first episode and I have my grips about this anime. Where is the sound of the blow off, the turbo spooling the high pitch exhaust. That note that a Inline carbed six will make as it screams at redline. Where are those items that make driving so fun. Sometimes its not just the thrill of speed but the noise it makes. Aside from that this anime is now on my to watch list. Though I don't expect much plot from it still good watch for the action scenes.
slidingk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 23:30   Link #36
motoman

I watch it already, don't think it is very interesting, but yes, give it sometimes and see what happen.
motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 00:10   Link #37
jtrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
I'm not exactly impressed with the character designs or the CG car action, but the sound effects killed it for me. The Devil Z barely sounds like it has a bolt-on muffler, let alone the 600+ hp beast that it really is. The Blackbird sounded like a Porsche should, (/me cries).
Hi, only know what i've read in this thead about the idea - series - show so far. Looks interesting. We get to hear the F1 racing engines and a few other sports. Why wouldn't they go in person to an area where some race was happening an grab some sound bites of engines starting up, warming up and running? I know the little 'euro racing engines' can generate some horse power in those little packages.

I used to build big block oh 1970 engines. The real HP like 525 streetable but the torque was more like 800 foot pounds. Locally a retired police chief and his family made sure I couldn't build any more since once started you can feel it like a 1/2 mile away, they (here in deep south texas) brought in a whole sabatage crew to mess every thing up every time I left it in the drive way or parking lot anywhere out of sight from me.

So, not sure how much noise a speaker on tv or surround sound system could handle either for that matter. Not much different than a funny car engine in a way or a open headder nascar engine. Not a car alarm or security system for a mile NOT going to go of when it goes by, see.

If the story is good I can live with muffled noises over attempted real car engine ones.

/waves at mranderson
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 02:42   Link #38
rageguy

i played mt2 in the arcades often. and am pretty excited to see that wangan midnight the anime is out! watched the first episode subbed by OMFG. i know fully well that this is an anime, not a simulation. so of course, dont expect much realistic sounds and physics going on. rather, expect some impossible stunts, and unrealistic car sounds.

the first ep was pretty interesting, and i do look foward to ep 2.
rageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 03:47   Link #39
Nomake Wan
One Man Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan
Thanks for the support guys. I'm Nomake Wan of the One Man Fansub Group. Honestly I didn't think that I'd be subbing this... but when I checked Tosho yesterday morning and found nothing, I was bored... and hopelessly addicted to the raw... so I decided to share.

This weekend episodes 1 and 2 air on PPV in Japan, so hopefully the raws that come out then will be even higher quality. When those air, OMFG will be releasing v2 of episode 1 (with some fixes listed below) as well as episode 2. We plan on following this series to its conclusion, if only as speedsubbers.

I'm kinda a n00b to fansubbing, so I can't do fancy things like a.f.k. and others do (replacing on-screen text, karaoke, etc), but hopefully that'll still be okay.

The errors in v1 of episode 1 are:
1.) The episode title was left out. It's "The Devil Z."
2.) The text at the beginning where you meet Akio with his old Z31 says, "Several Months Earlier."
3.) At 21:00, the text should read "Asakura was famous on the Wangan until two years ago."
4.) I'm not sure what happened in post-processing, because the raw was 120FPS @ 180 MB and the fansub is 29.97FPS @ 308 MB. I'll figure out what's wrong and get the filesize down for future releases, though, no worries.

Thanks again, guys.

Nvis: It's two episodes every 1 month, thankfully. Not as much of a wait as ID4S.
Nomake Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 04:54   Link #40
Barry

Like it's already been mentioned, it's only the first episode. Don't expect WM to leave any sort of tremendous impact, I for one found the first episode very entertaining. I'm not a huge car nut, but WM is fresh and that's what's needed in anime now-a-days.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racing, seinen