AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-07-03, 00:15   Link #2061
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
My friend has a sub only Tekkaman Blade Boxset, and I have Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar VHS tapes that are sub only (obviously only one audio track was possible). It was more common to see sub only stuff back in the VHS days.

@4Tran:
Coordinator: "Alright ship the Zeta Gundam DVD's"
Next Day
Spokesperson: "Your DVD's have shipped, but I'm afraid there's some bad news, we changed the opening theme, the show is dubtitled and er....some of the discs might be duplicates or may not even work at all, thanks for spending 200 dollars on this boxset that given it's rarity and limited edition nature should have had more effort put into it. Oh and for no real reason we changed the english cast from Mobile Suit Gundam that everybody seemed to like to cold readers, K thanks."

Just hope that ADV Films doesn't pick it up like they did PPD and give Carl Macek the dub direction. Although in all honesty it will probably go to Kadokawa/Bandai if it goes to anyone.
Gotta watch the box sets you get now adays so many china made DVD sets,it seems Tekkaman box set was released by media blasters,I thought the Dub was done a lot like Roin warroris,but I guess it was either to choppy ot lost in time.

Another series I can think of is macross it got a full sub release for that reason,however I can not think of a new series besides CCS that got a full sub only release.

frankly if they do a sub only release and sale it for 6-15 a disc I might start being more interested in what domestic anime is doing.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 09:01   Link #2062
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
frankly if they do a sub only release and sale it for 6-15 a disc I might start being more interested in what domestic anime is doing.
This is going further and further off-topic, I guess, but it's probably worth pointing out that what Media Blasters is doing is actually not too far off (see, for example, their release of Kashimashi at online retailers). That being said, I don't think it'll become the norm for most shows, as shows without dubs generally don't sell as well. These boards aren't a very good example, since its focus is fansubs, but in the broader market, a lot of people just don't like reading subtitles. When they do a subbed-only show today, it's basically because they don't think adding a dub will increase the amount of interested people enough to compensate for the added cost. I don't think that'd be the case with Lucky Star.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 09:11   Link #2063
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This is going further and further off-topic, I guess, but it's probably worth pointing out that what Media Blasters is doing is actually not too far off (see, for example, their release of Kashimashi at online retailers). That being said, I don't think it'll become the norm for most shows, as shows without dubs generally don't sell as well. These boards aren't a very good example, since its focus is fansubs, but in the broader market, a lot of people just don't like reading subtitles. When they do a subbed-only show today, it's basically because they don't think adding a dub will increase the amount of interested people enough to compensate for the added cost. I don't think that'd be the case with Lucky Star.
Well I for one have lost total interest in 19+ "localized" discs but I am not a normal shepple LOL ,they will make more content watering the content down for the US public not for anime fans, dub ranting aside,LS has its on jenasaqua that will translate pretty good even if the dub has been "localized".
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 11:08   Link #2064
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Out of curiosity, what other series have been released without a dub? I don't know of any except for Card Captor Sakura, and the reason that was released dub-less is because of Cardcaptors (which was brutally chopped up and released only as a dub), and fans demanded the original series subbed.

Other than that, I can't think of any series that was released without a dub... however, I don't buy a whole lot of DVDs. (BTW, years ago I bought the entire CCS set for $11 a disk... I was very, very pleased. )

Simoun will be released subtitled only. Another Media Blasters title.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 14:12   Link #2065
nanafan
horo fan

from my experiences some dubs are good like the dubs in fruits basket, full metal panic, fumoffu, pretear, and studio ghibli all their subs are good. i tried watching escaflowne dubbed and i switched it off, so annoying.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 16:16   Link #2066
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^I actually loved the Escaflowne dub for the same reason why I loved the Gundam Wing dub as they both share A LOT of VAs, but I guess to each their own. On the other hand, I didn't like FMP's dub as much; not because the VAs are bad, but because FMP isn't FMP IMO without Tomokazu Seki's "Mondai nash". ^^;

Of course, nothing still beats Steamboy as my favorite dub so far. Even though the part he plays isn't one of the main characters, Patrick Stewart just freaking rocks. I hope they sign him up for more dubbing in the near future. (Though admittedly, I'm behind in my Miyazaki DVD collection and so haven't heard him in Nausicaa yet) Also doesn't help that the red headed girl's seiyuu was too over the top that I wanted to strangle her, which is kinda odd since she's a good actress otherwise... >_>

Overall I like subs better, but that's only because from what I have seen so far, the average seiyuu has a lot more experience than the average VA. Just looking at the extreme end of the spectrum, compare how long and how many shows the likes of Hocchan, Kawasumi Ayako, Tomakazu Seki, Morikawa Toshiyuki have done to the English VA counterparts of their roles and you'll see what I mean. Heck, even this show's Hirano Aya is still considered a 'newcomer' despite the fact that she was already dubbing 5 years ago.

I however would never buy sub only DVDs. I have maybe seen 95% of shows before they're even licensed, and buying one with no-subs would be just a waste of money for me since once you think about it, its just better quality video with another take on the translations. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't 'share' better; if there's a show I have to show to my friends, it better be in english dub otherwise they wouldn't even touch it. This is especially true when kids of other families come to my house, I'd pop in something like Kaleido Star in my entertainment system and they wouldn't be able to keep up with the subtitles.

But anyone here know how much does dubbing actually costs? I find it hard to believe that having no dubs actually makes a big of a price difference. Just judging from one series I have an eye on (Macross), Animeigo's sub only DVDs are relatively the same price as ADVs.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 16:22   Link #2067
nanafan
horo fan

seki was awesome as sousuke! i don't have only dub anime i have both and i usually use both if i can handle the dub. sometimes the dub is terrible and you can't stand hearing it.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-03, 16:31   Link #2068
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um.... thread topic check, eh?

(steers the out-of-control wagon back towards the oncoming train...)
Old 2007-07-03, 17:54   Link #2069
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Last post on this topic, I swear, but just to answer the question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
^But anyone here know how much does dubbing actually costs?
The most recent estimate I've read was $10,000 per episode. You do the math.
Old 2007-07-03, 23:10   Link #2070
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I however would never buy sub only DVDs. I have maybe seen 95% of shows before they're even licensed, and buying one with no-subs would be just a waste of money for me since once you think about it, its just better quality video with another take on the translations. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't 'share' better; if there's a show I have to show to my friends, it better be in english dub otherwise they wouldn't even touch it. This is especially true when kids of other families come to my house, I'd pop in something like Kaleido Star in my entertainment system and they wouldn't be able to keep up with the subtitles.

But anyone here know how much does dubbing actually costs? I find it hard to believe that having no dubs actually makes a big of a price difference. Just judging from one series I have an eye on (Macross), Animeigo's sub only DVDs are relatively the same price as ADVs.
Dude. That is the sort of reason which will kill fansubs. If you refuse to support originals by buying even sub-only DVDs of anime you love, there is a price to be paid. Of course, everyone tries to free-ride the system. I'm saying that while you seem to have valid reasons and preferences, your sentiment is immoral. It's not just "better quality video with another take on the translations", it's ORIGINAL work licensed by the company that actually produces profit and contributes to the salary of workers involved as well as the revenue of the animation industry both in North American and in Japan.

Dubbing is obviously not that cheap. I'm not sure whether the attempt to set up a union for Voice Actors (which was 2 years ago) has finally succeeded; at that time I heard the rates were very variable. Remember that dubbing is not only pay for the voice-actors but also the renting (possible) of the recording studios, casting director, actual voice-acting director, agent fees and etc etc etc. It all adds up to be a small industry by itself, so yes, it should make a price difference.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 10:57   Link #2071
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Spoiler for for OT ness:

Now that begs the question, since it costs Kadokawa next to no money to license one of its own shows, would't it better for some of its lesser known shows would be more profitable as no dubs? BUT riding on the coattails of Haruhi (and to a lesser extent, KyoAni) is enough to most probably garner Lucky Star a dub once it gets licensed.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 17:33   Link #2072
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Breaking my promise already... but I'll be brief.
Spoiler for Reply to DragoonKain3 (leads back to topic):
Old 2007-07-04, 19:49   Link #2073
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

In... response to this post...

[Original Lyrics]
---- ----
Kagami, Kagami, Miko-chan.
Spank me real good as much as you want.
Whip it and slap it and mark it with your arms.
Just one more of your personality's charms.

~~~~ ~~~~

For the record... the trigger that inspired this was the words "pancakes"; and no... don't ask me how it led to S&M.

Cheers.
Old 2007-07-04, 20:11   Link #2074
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

ano nei... let's not going to this dub vs sub thingie....

Question: why is it that kona is at least 10cm shorter than the rest of the girls, yet in the OP their legs are shown as being approximately the same length? Discuss.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 20:17   Link #2075
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Question: why is it that kona is at least 10cm shorter than the rest of the girls, yet in the OP their legs are shown as being approximately the same length? Discuss.
lolol, I think most of us have decided to just not think about that... There's also an image floating in the image thread (go fig ) that "explains" that part; it's quite humorous.

Can't seem to find it... <_<;

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-07-04 at 20:21. Reason: Mouu... I'll keep searching
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 22:54   Link #2076
vaizard_ruler
Lucky☆Star Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vaizard_ruler Send a message via MSN to vaizard_ruler Send a message via Yahoo to vaizard_ruler
dang it Risaa >.> i wanted to see it

because thats how they roll ... or she could be standing on something,lower camera angle,or something along those lines
vaizard_ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 23:38   Link #2077
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its pretty much unexplainable (I remember the pic she refers to ... it has 4 possible solutions showing the off-camera part --- all zany).

Originally, I thought it was just "realistic style" girls... but now I pretty much tag it as a pretty significant goof up. Wonder if we'll see it changed for the DVDs?
Old 2007-07-05, 00:17   Link #2078
robertness

I hope we don't get that little flub straightened out for the DVD. I think it's a charming little production quirk. Part of the animators using the OP to subliminally tell the audience not to take L*S too seriously because they haven't.
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 01:08   Link #2079
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Found the 4 pics.

http://www.raki-suta.com/img/res/446.html
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 01:21   Link #2080
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Thanks! I love the Kona Copter.

Wouldn't it be funny if, the last Lucky Channel of the last episode of L*S, this was addressed and given an explanation?

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-07-05 at 02:46.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen