AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-07-01, 02:29   Link #621
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Er no... Welkins is too old to be done by the usual ladies, unless you're talking about Ogata Megumi, Saiga Mitsuki or Pak Romi, the ladies who sound very much like men.
Old 2009-07-01, 03:56   Link #622
jwai

Urgh, I went on a bit of a massive run with VC today, but didn't get very far.

I did a couple of the reports gained at chapter 15, but have not yet succeeded with War Without Weapons or Flower of the Battlefield. It is very easy to fatally overextend with Flower of the Battlefield, with so few guys to hold the line, and I haven't yet got an adequate game plan for War Without Weapons.

Spoiler:

I think I might grind some more to get a better chance at it, and try not to play for too long. Apart from increasing stress levels, I also don't think too well after playing for a while.

Question - what things trigger Metal Allergy? I suspect tanks are the major trigger, but I've never actually seen it go off myself.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 04:16   Link #623
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, yeah. When your mind is not very clear, you shouldn't play tactical games. Case in point: World in Conflict.
Old 2009-07-01, 04:43   Link #624
kalbron

I think tanks and possibly those barricades trigger Metal Allergy. Also possibly the gattlings and anti-tank placements.

Spoiler for War Without Weapons:
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 07:34   Link #625
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
That's the first time I've ever heard the word "grinding" in relation to VC. Yeah, I did have my characters maxed out long before the end of the game but I didn't really consider it grinding even when I had to run through a Skirmish 5-6 times just to get Shocktroopers and Scouts up one level each. I felt it was kinda fun to do speed runs of Barious Desert and other things.

I guess it really is grinding; I just never thought of it that way.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 08:39   Link #626
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That's the first time I've ever heard the word "grinding" in relation to VC. Yeah, I did have my characters maxed out long before the end of the game but I didn't really consider it grinding even when I had to run through a Skirmish 5-6 times just to get Shocktroopers and Scouts up one level each. I felt it was kinda fun to do speed runs of Barious Desert and other things.

I guess it really is grinding; I just never thought of it that way.
You maxed out before beating the game? Huh. I still haven't reached max level, and I'm on my second playthrough! (I only played skirmishes to get everyone to their Elite forms. Then I didn't grind at all)

As for War Without Weapons and Flower of the Battlefield,
Spoiler for strategies:
Old 2009-07-01, 10:42   Link #627
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I stopped at Max's tank in one of the earlier chapters. Just a pain in my ass as I still am having a hard time adjusting with my tactics. I don't think the kind of tactics and strategies that I'm good at, are adaptable at this game unfortunately.
Old 2009-07-01, 11:12   Link #628
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I stopped at Max's tank in one of the earlier chapters. Just a pain in my ass as I still am having a hard time adjusting with my tactics. I don't think the kind of tactics and strategies that I'm good at, are adaptable at this game unfortunately.
The Batomys? That's a really hard mission. Took me several tries to come up with something that would work. I think there are a few strategies in this thread on that mission...
Old 2009-07-01, 11:53   Link #629
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
I think there are a few strategies in this thread on that mission...
Use mine, use mine! But yeah, even aside from my "amazing" strategy I didn't like that mission much in general. Shooting at a bunch of turrets was kind of boring and I had some really bad luck with my lancers. I think Largo actually missed 3-4 consecutive shots in a single turn. I also still had a turret up when the second radiator died, despite having 4 lancers. It's actually even still annoying on a clear data playthrough because you have to wait for the radiators instead of charging in and slaughtering everything like the other maps, and it's a pretty long wait. This is why I wanted to see this thing die in the anime so much, shame they just skipped it.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 16:43   Link #630
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
You maxed out before beating the game? Huh. I still haven't reached max level, and I'm on my second playthrough! (I only played skirmishes to get everyone to their Elite forms. Then I didn't grind at all)
I think I was maxed out around Chapter 14, part II. I am a psychotic leveler. I always want to have as best of characters as possible. Basically in regular RPGs if I can't 1-turn a boss I'm too low in level.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-01, 17:15   Link #631
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Doesn't that kinda take the fun out of the game though? Yeah, it is fun destroying everything with insanely powerful characters but I at least like some challenge. I guess you could say there is challenge in having the patience to actually get the characters that high though. My snipers and engineers were still only lv 11 and 12 when I beat the game.
Old 2009-07-01, 18:31   Link #632
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

The only reason I'm bothering to level them up in my clear game at all is I get a damn medal for it.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:55   Link #633
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Doesn't that kinda take the fun out of the game though? Yeah, it is fun destroying everything with insanely powerful characters but I at least like some challenge. I guess you could say there is challenge in having the patience to actually get the characters that high though. My snipers and engineers were still only lv 11 and 12 when I beat the game.
I prefer to overpower my enemies the first time around. My first time in, I'm not in it for the challenge, but for the story. Which is KILLING me right now in VC, that I can't fully enjoy the story as I keep hitting road block after road block in the missions.

I ALWAYS over-kill my levels the first time. Later on, I'll try and beat the games on much harder circumstances to bring out a challenge(and by then I've already figured the game out so I'll have more fun experimenting). I hate hitting big challenges the first time around as it just frustrates me and kills my enjoyment.
Old 2009-07-01, 21:08   Link #634
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I prefer to overpower my enemies the first time around. My first time in, I'm not in it for the challenge, but for the story. Which is KILLING me right now in VC, that I can't fully enjoy the story as I keep hitting road block after road block in the missions.

I ALWAYS over-kill my levels the first time. Later on, I'll try and beat the games on much harder circumstances to bring out a challenge(and by then I've already figured the game out so I'll have more fun experimenting). I hate hitting big challenges the first time around as it just frustrates me and kills my enjoyment.
Heh, I'm kinda the opposite. The story is a major motivating factor for me to play a game and once I know the ending I'm much less eager to go back and try to do things the harder way. Same with the actual game content itself really, the first time through is always the best experience for me because everything is still fresh, and I get bored much quicker on subsequent playthroughs, even if I am doing things differently. I pretty much try to get as much as I can out of a game the first time through. I find this game entertaining enough that it may be one of the few I do finish multiple times and try to complete 100% though.
Old 2009-07-08, 08:24   Link #635
jwai

Gah, still haven't found time to have another crack at War Without Weapons or Chapter 15.

For something different, what extra things would you like to have seen in either VC or a possible sequel? I've got the following:

- Being able to crouch behind more objects.
- More destructible terrain pieces. Even the possibility of creating cover from rubble.
- More realistic ragdoll physics. I've seen some really strange things from that.
- Mission rankings being based on more than just sheer speed.
- A female tank commander? That'd be pretty damn sweet.
- There was a Gallian APC in one mission (which suspiciously looked like a Sdkfz 250/251). Having access to transports would be pretty neat, especially if mission maps became much bigger.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 08:47   Link #636
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Gah, still haven't found time to have another crack at War Without Weapons or Chapter 15.

For something different, what extra things would you like to have seen in either VC or a possible sequel? I've got the following:

- Being able to crouch behind more objects.
- More destructible terrain pieces. Even the possibility of creating cover from rubble.
- More realistic ragdoll physics. I've seen some really strange things from that.
- A female tank commander? That'd be pretty damn sweet.
- There was a Gallian APC in one mission (which suspiciously looked like a Sdkfz 250/251). Having access to transports would be pretty neat, especially if mission maps became much bigger.
  • Be able to crouch anywhere, to make yourself a smaller target and get accuracy bonus from the bracing, but no defensive bonus (i.e. can still be headshotted) if not in cover.
  • More cover than sandbags and trenches
  • Better aiming around objects in order to thwart counterattacks better.
  • Mission rankings being based on more than just sheer speed. (Let's repeat this ad nauseum; it can't be said enough.) I say it should be based on several factors: Speed of clearing, Casualty rate, kills, bases taken/lost...
  • Nerf the Scouts so I don't use them almost exclusively. Not sure what would be the best way to rebalance them, though...
  • Give us APCs and then give us HUGE MAPS!
  • More interesting Potentials, more status effects, more [useful] orders.
  • Gas grenades. Ragnite explosives that aren't grenades. Hand-to-hand combat options to quietly kill soldiers you manage to sneak up on.

I like how my ideas can be summed up as MOAR!
Old 2009-07-08, 08:56   Link #637
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Definitely this. Would add a lot more strategy and give a lot more incentive to actually kill enemies and use more than just a few of the units you deploy (in the interests of speed usually at least half my units never even left their starting point). Sometimes it just feels wrong running by all the enemies to grab their flag, especially when it can be done on the first turn very easily (Alicia's extra mission is quite possibly the easiest A in the game). I'd like there to actually be some benefit to using the strategies mentioned on maps like Vasel Bridge or Kloden Wildwood. With speed being the only factor you're very likely to actually get a WORSE ranking when using the riverside strike force or trying a pincer attack on the supply base.

On a similar note, I'd also like to see either the radius of camps extended, a change to capture mechanics, or just better enemy placement. It's too easy to just capture camps without even dealing with nearby enemies since they aren't within the radius of the camp. For example, the 2 tanks guarding the final camp in Marberry shore - you can pretty much ignore them completely since they aren't even in the camp. It's kinda lame to be able to just run in and grab the flag while the camp is completely surrounded by enemies who are shooting at you but can't stop you from capping because they are just outside the actual camp radius.

Quote:
Hey, I like watching defeated enemies or even my own units fold completely in half with their heads stuck in their crotches and then start twitching repeatedly. I laughed pretty hard the first time I saw that.
Old 2009-07-08, 18:06   Link #638
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

dang, Selvaria with a minigun is crazy..
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 19:59   Link #639
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
dang, Selvaria with a minigun is crazy..
That could quite be considered the longest and/or hardest mission in VC for me, if not tied with the Jeager chapter.
Old 2009-07-08, 20:34   Link #640
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
That could quite be considered the longest and/or hardest mission in VC for me, if not tied with the Jeager chapter.
It's a bit easier the second time through. I actually managed to do it in 2 turns. Only had one Double Movement activation too heh.

Hardest for me is probably the second Naggiar mission because I'm a moron and fail at positioning my tanks. Had Edelweiss get 1-shot from behind about 3 times in a row. And then I realized how strong Ultimate Anti-Armor potential really is and 2-shotted those things from the front...