AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-06-06, 05:19   Link #2261
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Warg: compared to Curry, Jordan actually made an entertaining spectacle out of basketball. Curry's game is mostly about smothering the enemy team with threes, and there's nothing exciting about that.

That's why I compare him to Floyd. Both of them stick to the rules and their playstyle is even complemented by some experts. It, however, just hurt the game in general.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 05:27   Link #2262
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Well, no offense, but comparing Curry's impact in the game and Mayweather's negative impact on boxing shows a dictinct lack of appreciation for both sports
Old 2016-06-06, 14:19   Link #2263
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I'd be content for just one game to be an actual contest.

This Finals series has turned into a clown fiesta. Just show up for at least one game, Cleveland....

Was it really only a week ago the possibility Golden State wouldn't even make the Finals was tangible?
Old 2016-06-06, 14:26   Link #2264
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Warg: compared to Curry, Jordan actually made an entertaining spectacle out of basketball. Curry's game is mostly about smothering the enemy team with threes, and there's nothing exciting about that.

That's why I compare him to Floyd. Both of them stick to the rules and their playstyle is even complemented by some experts. It, however, just hurt the game in general.
I may be rooting for the Cavs, but I appreciate Curry's style as well. His 3-pointers are beautiful to watch, as is GS's style in general. How much practice does it take to even be able to consistently shoot those threes?

And how is he "hurting" the game? Are you saying he should purposely hold back so as not to "hurt" the other teams' feelings? That would be an even greater insult to the players and to Curry himself. These players aren't twelve, and this isn't Kuroko no Basuke.

As for excitement, these are professional athletes playing to win. While a thriller would be more exciting for the casual audience, I reckon the actual players would rather put it away than draw it out. Put yourself in their shoes. If you were out to win something, would you potentially squander it to cater to someone one else's idea of entertainment? The same applies to other sports. When Federer or Rafa were in their heyday, did people complain about how it was "hurting" tennis? I think not. Rather, it'll be interesting to see what other teams come up with in response to this wall.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 18:42   Link #2265
sayde

The warriors performance and their recent game 2 win has inspired me to type this somewhat lengthy essay in response to some of Marcus H's points on Curry. Though I admit, I've also been looking for an excuse to express some sentiments I've kept bottled up all year from watching this team play.

At the end of the day, what's exciting and what's not exciting to watch is a completely subjective matter. And to that end, I can see where Marcus H is coming from. Watching someone make it rain from 3 point range all day may not be as exciting to witness for someone who prefers to watch a more physically dynamic style of play featuring someone who can dominate inside the 3 point line with fast slashing stylish layups, dunks, and mid range jumpers. I'd imagine seeing someone who seems to effortlessly chuck up 3 point shots would be very boring for someone who describes themselves as a casual fan of the game who may not watch often and play the game even less (or not at all).

With that said, if all Curry's game amounted to was "smothering the enemy team with threes", he wouldn't be the leagues 1st unanimously chosen MVP. I mean anyone can chuck up 3's. However, it's the range, versatility, accuracy, frequency, and consistency at which he makes 3's which is so awe-inspiring to witness on a nightly basis. Curry's not just a catch-and-shoot 3 point maker who can't create his own shot. He can create and then make those shots from virtually anywhere past the half court line. And as if that wasn't enough, he's insanely clutch about it--which goes beyond just being difficult. I'd argue most people would've thought it to be virtually impossible to be THAT good not too long ago. And so many of these almost look like chucked shots that have no business going anywheres' close to the basket, much less inside it. And yet they magically do.

And as if that wasn't enough, the guy doesn't just shoot 3's. He shoot's foul shots at over a 90% clip. He's got the ball handling and passing skills to compliment his shooting range, plus he's every bit as effective at making layups and finishing inside the paint against stronger, taller players as someone like Kyrie Irving does. He's the complete offensive package without having the same dominant physique of Jordan or Lebron.

So I think that's what makes him so loved and fun to watch for a lot of people. The things he does while mesmerizing, aren't beyond what all fans who like and are able to play the game can aspire to. At the same time, it's precisely because of his relatability (in terms of the things that he excels at) that fans are better able to appreciate just how difficult it is to do the things he can do. He's essentially a shining example of the results that hard work and practice can produce.

In the 90's, MJ used to have those "I wanna be like Mike" ads that came on all the time. But the sad truth is that, no matter how hard you try, you could never be like Mike if you weren't born with the physical traits to make it happen. This means that there are some aspects to the game that you can only imagine and dream about dominating. Many of us can't possibly fully comprehend just how easy or difficult it is to do many of the things Jordan could do because we're not built to do so. So while that makes him fun to watch, it also makes him unrelatable, like a super hero to a lesser degree. We're impressed with his feats, but many of us don't ever realistically ever try to aspire to do things he can do because we know that we're not physically cut out to do it.

But the things Curry can do and the things that make him great, are things anyone in theory can practice and become better at (regardless of your gender or build). He's not known for his high flying dunks or for being a physically dominating and imposing presence by any means. And yet, in a league composed of strong, fast athletes, well over 6 feet tall, Curry continues to do things that seem impossible without having the same physical advantages that most of his opponents have on a nightly basis.

So while Curry is indeed changing the game, I don't feel he's necessarily hurting it. Quite the contrary. Not too long ago, the common train of thought was that this was a game where the big men had a natural advantage. But that train of thought is starting to shift. And that can only be a good thing for the game of basketball.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 23:56   Link #2266
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, we may finally have a series.

Cleveland goes from losing game 2 by 33 to win game 3 by 30.

They got into the paint way more, they set up better jump shots, no more of intentionally leaving Green open.

They will have to do it again in Game 4, but it's definitely believable that it can happen.
Old 2016-06-10, 21:19   Link #2267
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

So not only Warriors aren't playing to their full potential, but also the refs are doing their best to help Cavs even out the series, it's ridiculous, any little brush against them is a foul, while they can actually hit you when defending you and it ends up with the refs calling a technical on you for protesting
Now is getting more leveled as to what side the ref fucks up for, but really, the refeering is abismal

Last edited by SuitUp; 2016-06-10 at 22:37.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-10, 23:57   Link #2268
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, Warriors took Game 4. The revival didn't last long.
Old 2016-06-11, 00:05   Link #2269
sayde

Looking back at it, my crackpot theory is that the Warriors intentionally threw game 3 to prolong the series just enough to win the championship in front of their fans back on their home court.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-11, 21:03   Link #2270
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's over. I really don't think Cleveland can be the first team in Finals history to go back from 3-1.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 00:37   Link #2271
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Cleveland strike back. Regardless of how this series ends, at least they kept fighting. Winning at Oracle is almost non-existent this year if you're not Golden State.

Game 6 back in Cleveland. Thank flock this wasn't the whitewash that seemed plausible after Game 2.
Old 2016-06-14, 00:43   Link #2272
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Cleveland strike back. Regardless of how this series ends, at least they kept fighting. Winning at Oracle is almost non-existent this year if you're not Golden State.
The NBA got what it wanted with the suspension of Draymond Green.
Old 2016-06-14, 00:55   Link #2273
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
The NBA got what it wanted with the suspension of Draymond Green.
Pretty much. Hard to deny that.
Old 2016-06-14, 01:31   Link #2274
Westlo
Lets be reality

It was a joke he wasn't suspended in the OKC series anyway.....
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 01:35   Link #2275
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It was a joke he wasn't suspended in the OKC series anyway.....
Glad I'm not the only one that felt that way.....The one in this series is up in the air. But against OKC he deserved a flagrant 2 and was hell lucky to only get a 1.
Old 2016-06-14, 07:18   Link #2276
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

So, no more gentleman 's sweep for GSW?
Old 2016-06-16, 01:07   Link #2277
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Bogut is out of the remainder of the Finals due to a knee injury. Golden State just lost their main defensive presence in the paint.
Old 2016-06-16, 08:28   Link #2278
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

^ And Australia just lost one player for Rio.
Old 2016-06-17, 03:29   Link #2279
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

We're going to Game 7!

James goes for 41 again. Curry dropped 30, fouled out then got ejected for throwing his mouthguard into the crowd and hitting the son of one of the Cavs' minority owners. Cleveland's support cast way outdid Golden State's.

Whoo, this is tense....This has turned into an epic.
Old 2016-06-17, 04:26   Link #2280
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

At this point I'm sure GS does not want to be the first team in Finals history to blow 3-1. That will be a huge stain on Curry's career he'll never be able to live down.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote