AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-01, 05:52   Link #441
Laevatein

Got the DVD boxset! Unfortunately, I have to share the TV...
Old 2008-12-01, 15:54   Link #442
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Wish mine would hurry up and ship already.
Old 2008-12-01, 16:11   Link #443
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Huh, the thread seems to be littered with a few complaints on DVD issues (timecodes mostly) and translation inconsistencies (Arf/Alf/Aruf). Well, hope the A's release will be better.

Edit: Hmm...according to the tracker it should be delivered today or tomorrow. Looks like I'll be giving it a go on my other monitor as I run around Azeroth :P
Old 2008-12-02, 15:53   Link #444
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My copy of first season just dropped in.... will take a look as I eat lunch...

First two episodes looked okay, nothing evil stood out. I'd kind of forgotten how cutesy the opener episodes were before Fate showed up. Though the "what the hell kind of outfit is this????" reaction from Nanoha still made me smile.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-04 at 02:09.
Old 2008-12-03, 21:49   Link #445
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Well, I put it on my Christmas list. Here's hoping Santa delivers... *crosses fingers*

I'll have to content myself with audio clips on Youtube for now, whenever I can find them.
Old 2008-12-04, 16:15   Link #446
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My copy of first season just dropped in.... will take a look as I eat lunch...

First two episodes looked okay, nothing evil stood out. I'd kind of forgotten how cutesy the opener episodes were before Fate showed up. Though the "what the hell kind of outfit is this????" reaction from Nanoha still made me smile.
I like the bit when she couldn't remember the whole phrase to set up and Raising Heart just went ahead and self-started. Those two were clearly meant to be together.

(My set arrived yesterday, and I promptly consumed the first eight episodes. Disk One has "Raging" Heart throughout, but that's about it for complaints...and since I don't watch the DVDs on a computer, the timecodes discussion went right over my head as a happy irrelevancy. I don't get why the Japanese mandated "Aruf" as a name, but...hey, their show, right?)
Old 2008-12-05, 02:14   Link #447
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A-ru-fu is about as close as it gets in japanese syllabary. At least *we* know its meant to be "Arf" (and I haven't bothered with the dub yet).

Gah, just imagining a future S&W dub; personal bet that the Holo/Horo stupidity will arise again.

Gotten through the 3/4 eps. Yay for Fate arrival into the story which changed my view of "mahou shoujo" forever (ok, yeah its really kind of a "boys tech-magic wt cute girls" but so it goes...). Pre-teen girls with planet-cracking weapons for the win.... they must have been absolutely nuts when they approved that project
Old 2008-12-05, 09:20   Link #448
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A-ru-fu is about as close as it gets in japanese syllabary. At least *we* know its meant to be "Arf" (and I haven't bothered with the dub yet).
That name was unfortunately inconsistent in the dub script in each volume; it pretty much went in this order: Alf, Arf, Aruf. Even the English VA for Fate was wondering why it was inconsistent.

On the another note, Cristina Vee was such a doll as Nanoha! I really want to hear more of her once Nanoha A's gets released.
Old 2008-12-06, 07:02   Link #449
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I heard a clip from episode 2 on Youtube, and Cristina Vee sounds excellent as Nanoha. Gotta give props to the English VA for Yuuno, too, she did a good job (I can't recall her name, though...). Now I just want to here what Fate, Arf, and Precia sound like in English.

Why is Christmas so far away? ;__;
Old 2008-12-09, 14:56   Link #450
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(sigh) I'd probably use the dubs for pre-teens to watch (hmmm, yes mam, I did let your daughter watch a young magical girl get tortured by her mother.... ehhhhhh, maybe not) but most of the english VAs *sound* like they're sitting in a booth reading the lines rather than "in the moment". It just a problem I have with many of the "usual cast of VAs" and how they get recorded by the US studios. I actually have the same issue with many recent Western cartoons.
Old 2008-12-09, 17:32   Link #451
darkchibi07

Here's an unofficial Episode 5 VA commentary which is fun to listen to!

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthrea...03#post1481703
Old 2008-12-09, 18:25   Link #452
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I heard a clip from episode 2 on Youtube, and Cristina Vee sounds excellent as Nanoha. Gotta give props to the English VA for Yuuno, too, she did a good job (I can't recall her name, though...). Now I just want to here what Fate, Arf, and Precia sound like in English.

Why is Christmas so far away? ;__;
English Yuuno sounds too manly I think. It doesn't have that tone that makes it sound girly so the gender isn't as obvious.
Old 2008-12-09, 19:05   Link #453
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
English Yuuno sounds too manly I think. It doesn't have that tone that makes it sound girly so the gender isn't as obvious.
Jr. in the anime version of Xenosaga had the same problem--male voice actor for a kid (well, physically) character originally voiced by a female. Odd hole in the dub world, for some reason, since American animation and video-game voicing never seems to have a problem using a female VA for a male child...

...ah, well, it's not like I'll ever listen to the dub, anyway.
Old 2008-12-09, 19:06   Link #454
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Jr. in the anime version of Xenosaga had the same problem--male voice actor for a kid (well, physically) character originally voiced by a female. Odd hole in the dub world, for some reason, since American animation and video-game voicing never seems to have a problem using a female VA for a male child...

...ah, well, it's not like I'll ever listen to the dub, anyway.
It's mainly because female VAs can sound like little kids. Male VAs have a harder time pulling it off (In English anyway). And it's hard to use an ACTUAL kid due to child labor laws.
Old 2008-12-09, 19:11   Link #455
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
It's mainly because female VAs can sound like little kids. Male VAs have a harder time pulling it off (In English anyway). And it's hard to use an ACTUAL kid due to child labor laws.
Oh, I understand it. I just don't see why dub studios don't cast a female to do the dubbed kid voice, too.
Old 2008-12-09, 20:24   Link #456
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Oh, I understand it. I just don't see why dub studios don't cast a female to do the dubbed kid voice, too.
They did. For whatever reason Yuuno still manages to sound manly (My box came three days ago cha!). I think the only man I've ever heard do a child decently is Greg Ayres.

Not too fond of the dub as a whole some individuals I really like (I enjoyed the woman who does Arf) This is one I'm gonna keep watching subbed.
Old 2008-12-11, 11:46   Link #457
Furyou Miko
Equal-fatalities Employer

Send a message via AIM to Furyou Miko
It says in the episode 5 commentary the VAs for Shiro, Yuuno and Arf did that Mary-anne's voice was hoarse because of her night job while they were recording, hence the cracking and 'voice breaking' kind of effect for Yuuno's lines.

Actually, Yuuno's probably one of the ones I'm happier with. Watching the clips that went up on YouTube, most of the others seem to lack emotional engagement with the scene.
Old 2008-12-12, 07:03   Link #458
darkchibi07

Here's a dub review of this series:

http://www.mania.com/eigo-kudasai-en...le_111688.html

Give it a read! I actually agree with some odf the points.
Old 2008-12-16, 15:28   Link #459
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Got mine in the mail yesterday yay me.
Old 2008-12-17, 18:01   Link #460
Seraph42
Too much Caffine

Finally finished all of S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

On the another note, Cristina Vee was such a doll as Nanoha! I really want to hear more of her once Nanoha A's gets released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I heard a clip from episode 2 on Youtube, and Cristina Vee sounds excellent as Nanoha.
Really She annoyed me, at least at first anyways then I just got used to it.

Percia on the other hand sounded like a guy trying to sound like a woman (at least to me). But her laugh was what really got me, that was just HORRIBLE!

Every thing else though was fine.

I am however in love with the Devises new voices
they sound alot cleaner then before and just overall better, they're now the voices I hear when I read Nanoha stories