AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-18, 22:51   Link #1661
Darthtabby

Despite the old saying about curiosity killing the cat, I'm still wondering how on earth you can consider Sheryl -or practically just about any character imaginable- worse than Louise...
Old 2011-08-19, 10:46   Link #1662
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I locked this thread temporarily so that I can clean up the mess!

The previous discussion is done.

EDIT: mess cleaned up, thread re-opened.
Old 2011-08-19, 13:49   Link #1663
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I locked this thread temporarily so that I can clean up the mess!

The previous discussion is done.

EDIT: mess cleaned up, thread re-opened.
Maaaaybe you should also remove the post from LMK which started the whole thing. Just saying.
Old 2011-08-19, 13:58   Link #1664
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Maaaaybe you should also remove the post from LMK which started the whole thing. Just saying.
I am actually praying to God almighty for the sake of having a conversation about anything Macross without Ranka!

JUST ONCE!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-19, 14:51   Link #1665
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But... but... Ranka is Yakh-Deculture!

Happy now?

Last edited by BetoJR; 2011-08-19 at 15:07.
Old 2011-08-19, 15:02   Link #1666
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But... but... Ranka is Deculture!
Missing the "Yakh" in front.
Old 2011-08-20, 02:04   Link #1667
Thess

Hey didn't Kawamori confirmed he was a Grace fan in the Macross F Appreciation Festival? But he would have picked Sheryl in the past? Or I'm imagining things? Grace's hot. He has good taste.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-08-20, 03:24   Link #1668
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Just like a Sheryl/AruSherri fan: forget Ranka even exists in the show and you're happy... sure, we'll do that, and Sheryl can die in Ep.25 without ANY help. Or have you forgotten that she helped inspire Sheryl as well?
Riiiiggghhhttt... because you know, Ranka convinced the bird-human to depart in ZERO, defeated the Zentradi in SDF, hacked Sharon Apple in PLUS and definitely scared away the Protodevlin in Macross 7...

My perspective of Ranka was relatively positive, until it was utterly and definitely ruined by people.like.you. May I kindly remind you that you were the one who thrust Ranka into our previous SDF discussion, when it was uncalled for and unnecessary?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-20, 04:56   Link #1669
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Good God, make it stop...

Old 2011-08-20, 05:11   Link #1670
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^inorite? >___>
Old 2011-08-20, 05:13   Link #1671
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Good God, make it stop...
I think you're forgetting this thread is called "your favorite character." So I just named quite a few of the things that make me love Ranka.
Old 2011-08-20, 06:21   Link #1672
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
All I see is some Goddess-ifying a character than putting forward how you loved a character, to be honest. (のワの) I can see Ranka's good qualities without putting Goddess Google (tm) and people hammerring the upped to eleven d-- err, fangirling, tyvm.

/pops out popcorn, munching because she lost the ability to think with that fluff...ey descriptions.

Old 2011-08-20, 06:31   Link #1673
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@LoveMeKags

Seriously, please, just STOP.

You worship Ranka and dislike Sheryl. Fine, it's not like it wasn't obvious from which pairing you ship.

But you don't have to say that you dislike Sheryl when you talk about why you love Ranka, do you? This isn't a "Character you hate/dislike and why" thread, so leave it off.

My opinion of Ranka had actually improved earlier this year, partially because of the Frontier rewatch. But you, yes, you, are well on the way to making me seriously dislike her again.

--------

On a different note, I find that my opinion of Alto fluctuates a lot. Just a few weeks ago, I'd wished I could add a vote for him in this poll...but the newest readings I've come across of his actions have me a bit more ambivalent...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-08-20, 08:46   Link #1674
Irisiel

*Opens mouth, glances at mods, closes it again.*
...Yeah, Alto!
I kinda like Alto, I mean, he has his drawbacks and all, but they are pretty consistent and logical and the only thing I wish he'd do better is communicate clearly, something that's been addressed in the movies.

Something I like when I re-watch Frontier is that throwaway lines ends up being very important when it comes to Alto's character, and that his actions and timing are often very telling about what goes on in his head, but I do wish that he had been a bit more vocally clear about things in the series. (Dear Alto, I know that as a professional actor it is your job to deliver subtle, evocative lines that doesn't feel like the audience is being slammed over the head with a giant mallet with Hint written on it, but when there's over three different interpretations for most of your major statements, it's a time to lay off the metaphors and just be blunt and specific. Sincerely, Me.)
Old 2011-08-20, 09:30   Link #1675
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
*Opens mouth, glances at mods, closes it again.*
...Yeah, Alto!
I kinda like Alto, I mean, he has his drawbacks and all, but they are pretty consistent and logical and the only thing I wish he'd do better is communicate clearly, something that's been addressed in the movies.

Something I like when I re-watch Frontier is that throwaway lines ends up being very important when it comes to Alto's character, and that his actions and timing are often very telling about what goes on in his head, but I do wish that he had been a bit more vocally clear about things in the series. (Dear Alto, I know that as a professional actor it is your job to deliver subtle, evocative lines that doesn't feel like the audience is being slammed over the head with a giant mallet with Hint written on it, but when there's over three different interpretations for most of your major statements, it's a time to lay off the metaphors and just be blunt and specific. Sincerely, Me.)
Pretty much, yup. I felt when I watched Frontier the second (or third... fourth?) time that I saw a little bit more in Alto each time. His character does actually stay consistent, and he's got depth that he rarely spells out, which is frustrating from time to time, but once we see the whole story it seems like some details became a little more clear. I feel he's an underrated character, or possibly a character that got shortchanged by the writers on character development. You're right, though, I feel the movies so far (still haven't seen Wings) tried to fix that some. I don't know if they were trying to work within typical anime series standards or what in the series, but the first movie at least made a lot of things more clear, even from the series. They let him open up a bit more, while in the series I sometimes felt they intentionally bottled him up.
Old 2011-08-20, 10:55   Link #1676
wisteria233

I didn't really care much for Alto on my first watch of Frontier. It was only through re-watching it a few months after the series ended that I ended up liking him.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:29   Link #1677
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I didn't really care much for Alto on my first watch of Frontier. It was only through re-watching it a few months after the series ended that I ended up liking him.
Same here, I didn't think anything of him the first time through other than he had an inconsequential backstory and was basically an audience avatar for the girls and explosions.
Old 2011-08-20, 11:55   Link #1678
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
Same here, I didn't think anything of him the first time through other than he had an inconsequential backstory and was basically an audience avatar for the girls and explosions.
Then later he gradually discovered that going on a date with Sheryl wasn't bad, and holding her by the waist felt really good...

Slowly but surely, Sheryl made him straight again...

Other than that, Macross' best pairing was Max & Milia. Don't mess with M&M!

- Tak

Old 2011-08-20, 12:32   Link #1679
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Y'now who I like? Nanase.

She's got glasses an' shit. That's HAWT.
Old 2011-08-20, 12:42   Link #1680
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I felt as though he's the kind of character that you really had to pay attention to, and even then it takes a while to warm up to him.

As for female characters, Sheryl and Klan Klan are my girls.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, favorite