AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-27, 19:34   Link #61
thefeared

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I find the lower ratings odd since I'd assume NoitaminA shows are usually geared towards people who want and need to use their brains more often than other shows.
What does that tell you about the number of people who want and need to use their brains?
thefeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 08:41   Link #62
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Being Blunt POST is Subjective. Lets all agree to disagree ^^

The character designs are quite refreshing I really liked Akashi . She is bubbly and weird which is a welcome change to the anime cliches . My main bone of contention is with the background designs . The settings scenario is disturbing and distracting which is not good . I actually liked the unique designs in Ayakashi/Mononoke/Hakaba but the backgrounds here set a very stark mood . Which ruins ? or distracts from the ongoing content .

The other character I liked the most is Ozu he is fun and life of any party . The main character is a wimp someone you would find in a harem . Strangely gives me Vibes of Nozomu from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei which is a very bad things .

Other than that I agree with everything what Haak said esp Akashi part ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

Quote:
Ittookmelikeanhourtogetthroughthisepisode.Wtf?Seri ously?Ican'tjustwatchaloadofsubtitlesspeedingbybec ausethat'saboutallI'mseeingwithoutpausingitevery2s econdsand-OHSHIT,NOWI'MTALKINGLIKETHISTOO!!!!!
Akashi is a very amusing character. She's pretty much the sole reason I'm sticking to this anime for now...

EDIT :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Even the talking super fast part? That seriously wasn't good for me. .
That was also irritating for me too . Felt like back in the day when I first started watching subs . Never have I paused, this much while watching an anime episode in recent years .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2010-04-28 at 09:07.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 08:59   Link #63
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Even the talking super fast part? That seriously wasn't good for me.

All day yesterday I kept having this voice in my head speaking non-stop super fast gibberish in a Japanese accent, as well as random Japanese phrases that I know.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 09:37   Link #64
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In my case I'm used to having to read fast so actual reading wasn't a bother, but it was the sheer volume as the episode went on that was mind-boggling.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 09:39   Link #65
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

In case anyone is curious, it was about 4500 words.

A usual anime episode is more like 2500. Action filled shows with little talking can be less than 1800.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 10:36   Link #66
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
That was also irritating for me too . Felt like back in the day when I first started watching subs . Never have I paused, this much while watching an anime episode in recent years .
Not even to Zetsubou-sensei and its walls of text?

Personally I didn't have to pause during Yojou-han but I admit twenty minutes straight of reading superfast was a little tiring. I hope they'll slow down a bit in future episodes.
Old 2010-04-28, 18:23   Link #67
Fevvers
a regular van veen

I don't think you're not supposed to skim some of the dialogue. Most of them seem to be excess verbiage coming from the protagonist's inner monologues (like constant stream of thoughts from a novel). I personally think less is more, but hey, I'll take what I can get. in other words I'm Yuasa-biased
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 19:14   Link #68
Theowne
耳をすませば

I didn't pause either, though I may have a missed a word here or there, but it seems to me like pausing and reading line by line sort of misses the point. It's kind of like transcribing those popular Zero Punctuation reviews - you could do it, and it'd be clearer, but then that misses the reason why they were popular in the first place. Similarly I think the pace and stream-of-consciousness style of narration is supposed to be part of the appeal here, and was for me.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 03:26   Link #69
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I didn't pause either, though I may have a missed a word here or there
Same here, and it's why i rewatched the first episode later in the week. Did catch a few things i missed during the first viewing, so i'll be doing that each week now.
Old 2010-04-29, 10:24   Link #70
Zwill
Young Padawan
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Zwill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
In case anyone is curious, it was about 4500 words.

A usual anime episode is more like 2500. Action filled shows with little talking can be less than 1800.
Man, I sure know what you mean! It was no easy task to convert the english to my native language. I can't remember any show that gave me such a headache.

But then again the dialogues were awesome, I laughed my ass off and for my second watch I could even enjoy the awesome animation. Both the opening and the ending song are kinda catchy and I love Maaya's role. Hoping that the further episodes will be as awesome as this one and maybe with a little slower or less speech.

Also hoping to see more Akashi, who actually reminds me of a girlfriend who I used to date when I was a freshmen, and maybe a little more
Spoiler for random whining:
Zwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 04:41   Link #71
Serpit

No talk about the new episode?

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Serpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 07:28   Link #72
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpit View Post
No talk about the new episode?

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Spoiler for WHY?!:

upd: damn, I need to learn to read one's post till the end before posting reply
Old 2010-04-30, 16:22   Link #73
Kunagisa

Episode 2 is about the same as episode 1 in terms of enjoyment for me.

Spoiler for 2:

I am still uncertain what direction this story is going. I think for the most part for now is trying to keep track of the few key elements that is present every episode and try to find meaningful differences between them.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 05:23   Link #74
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Hahaha, Akashi has a force field! What's next!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 10:52   Link #75
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Wow, just wow. I had high hopes for this--but not this high. It was so unexpected it caught me completely off-guard and I laughed really loudly throughout the whole episode. Very good stuff. Fujiwara Keiji in particular was really surprising in a role he usually doesn't cover, and with a voice I hadn't really heard before yet.

Quote:
I didn't pause either, though I may have a missed a word here or there, but it seems to me like pausing and reading line by line sort of misses the point.
Yeah, me too. I missed a great part of the dialogue, partly due to the fact that my Japanese, while good enough, is not that good, and also the fact that I was lying down on my bed and that makes subtitles harder to read. But the stream of consciousness narration was excellent and one of the keys of the comedy.

I'm now wondering how the hell did they get the US publishers to license this. It's not like it's going to be an instant win amongst the Western fans.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-01, 11:07   Link #76
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I wish I could watch episode two, but apparently FUNimation is still IP blocking SEA countries.

Goddammit.
Old 2010-05-01, 21:25   Link #77
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm now wondering how the hell did they get the US publishers to license this. It's not like it's going to be an instant win amongst the Western fans.
My guess.

As for the story itself, while it's obviously very witty and spectacularly animated, I'm not sure I can hang in for twelve weeks of replays. It must make the accountants happy since they get to reuse scenes from week to week! Still I'm not really sure I want to see Groundhog Day redone as a Noitamina comedy and stretched to a dozen weeks.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 12:44   Link #78
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

After finishing the first episode, I must say I am impressed. I've always appreciated bildungsroman in anime, and I've also liked spiritual transcendence: this anime appears to offer both, and despite its black comedy is quite affecting because of the characters, especially Akashi-san. It will probably go under most people's radars, but don't get me wrong: this show has much potential to be a masterpiece.

I've also paused through the episode about five or ten times, but the reading hasn't been much of a bother since I'm a fairly speedy reader. The story is great, though.

Here are my thoughts after the first two episodes and after re-watching both episodes: The Tatami Galaxy 1-2.

Last edited by physics223; 2010-05-03 at 02:37.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 05:11   Link #79
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

After episode 2, I can easily conclude that they are already pulling off the rewind concept very, very well. In certain cases it's pretty much the same thing with only minor variations in some events, how these play out, and even perspectives, which is pretty much how a good chunk of a certain series that will not be named by me played out last year...

This show however is really pulling off the "What if?" scenarios with the rewinds through a simple basic alteration in the beginning (difference in college clubs), and everything else seems to follow smoothly based on the unnamed (he's still unnamed right?) character's personality and how he deals with everyone else around him in the club. The show is pretty much solely character driven and very excellently so.
Old 2010-05-03, 08:03   Link #80
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
After episode 2, I can easily conclude that they are already pulling off the rewind concept very, very well. In certain cases it's pretty much the same thing with only minor variations in some events, how these play out, and even perspectives, which is pretty much how a good chunk of a certain series that will not be named by me played out last year...

This show however is really pulling off the "What if?" scenarios with the rewinds through a simple basic alteration in the beginning (difference in college clubs), and everything else seems to follow smoothly based on the unnamed (he's still unnamed right?) character's personality and how he deals with everyone else around him in the club. The show is pretty much solely character driven and very excellently so.
Are you going to be a second-year student this coming June? :P

Masaaki Yuasa creates his characters excellently. I was also impressed with Kemonozume. This is something more realistic; nevertheless the characters are fleshed-out well.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funimation, noitamina