AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-27, 04:38   Link #321
Chimuts
Call me Anego!~

Location: In a room as blue as the sky, as cool as the autumn wind and as quiet as the desert
Send a message via MSN to Chimuts
Didn't expect Yuzuru to confess like that, nor was I expecting Kanade to be the one who received Yuzuru's Heart @_@
Kanade's personality had somehow changed 180° @_@
The ending was great, but they did not show the other members' past and how did they disappear (curious about TK especially).
I hope there's a Season 2 or OVA for this!

Last edited by Chimuts; 2010-06-27 at 05:51.
Old 2010-06-27, 05:00   Link #322
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Well because if Kanede does not settle out Otonashi feeling. He will be just like the Programmer himself (an amnesia guy who lived his life fulfilling the dreams of others, then wandered into the Purgatory and fall in love with a girl. But then that girl moved on before him).

If Otonashi still hold more regrets of not telling Kanade more how much he loves her. He may attempt to stay there waiting for her again just like the Programmer
In that sense, it's even more the case that she should settle his feeling by giving him a reply, may it be positive or negative, otherwise he would just keep waiting in that world for that tiny chance to run into her again for an answer. Otonashi already expressed his feeling, so by simply asking him to repeat it just for the sake of repeating doesn't really change anything. Her response of accepting his feeling, both verbally and physically (don't forget Otonash hugged her for quite a while and she never pushed him away or showed a single sign of dislike), should be good enough of a sign. You don't just accept someone's feeling if you don't have an answer for it, and in this case, I don't think it's negative.
Old 2010-06-27, 05:08   Link #323
tsunade666

their wouldn't be a 2nd season for this type of anime but an ova... they pretty much put everything up and ended it with it.

I had mix emotions while watching this. The first part was... meh... huh? and what!? then kawaii but lol.

The ending at first I though while watching the beginning part is pretty plain for an ending of key and no emotional back drop!! like their past works and it's kinda rushed but I like that rushed because they did put time on my favorite character.

But the near end with kanade and yuzuru. I can't say... I love their pairing but never see it comes to true in a sense I was shock specially when he suggested that he wants to stay with kanade.... pretty twisted hey YOU!!! he help others to go away but he stays with his girl oh great. I lost respect for you yuzuru. But that first emotion has been ignored or forgotten as it goes emotional though at the middle when kanade said she got her heart from yuzuru, I lost track in time... huh!? how did that happen? but the story goes on. Kanade disappear then left yuzuru. I was going to stop watching yuzuru cries as his alone their but I notice the ending seems different with everyone present then slowly but surely everyone disappear then I stay tuned to the point yuzuru and kanade are the only ones and if you look at it. They are looking at each other but kanade disappear I though that would end it with yuzuru staying their but he disappear too.... what? wtf!? then a reincarnation state when kanade listening in gdm music but how did that happen? did they create a band in real life too? but the most disturbing is when yuzuru shows up and tried to grab kanade when she's walking away.... I find that romantic but then again what if kanade is waiting for someone and what if their s a police around and he got arrested for attempt against a loli.......... messed up story.
Old 2010-06-27, 05:13   Link #324
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
In that sense, it's even more the case that she should settle his feeling by giving him a reply, may it be positive or negative, otherwise he would just keep waiting in that world for that tiny chance to run into her again for an answer. Otonashi already expressed his feeling, so by simply asking him to repeat it just for the sake of repeating doesn't really change anything. Her response of accepting his feeling, both verbally and physically (don't forget Otonash hugged her for quite a while and she never pushed him away or showed a single sign of dislike), should be good enough of a sign. You don't just accept someone's feeling if you don't have an answer for it, and in this case, I don't think it's negative.
What is a clearer response than paying her gratitude, accepting his feeling then moving on without a direct answer (other than "Thank you for loving me...")? Well there is saying "no", then disappear, but it will be a bit too straight forward then, the fans won't be able to ship them if so

If she really love him like Yui to Hinata. She will at least promise that they will still love each other when they meet again. Even in the end, it was only Otonashi who got his emotions triggered in the sight of Kanade after all.

SP: I loled at tsunade666's "if there's s a police around and he got arrested for attempt against a loli.......... messed up story. "
Old 2010-06-27, 06:04   Link #325
Thoguht

OK, final thoughts after rewatching the last ep a few times and some other eps as well.

First, why do so many people call AB world "purgatory"? Purgatory is a sort of hell-lite dreamt up by the church because they didn't really believe what the Bible said about sins having been truly forgiven. So, depending on how much sin you committed in your life, you'd have to spend a certain amount of time in purgatory to have your sins purged before you were good enough to go to heaven. AB world is nothing like that, it's a limbo (but not in the Roman Catholic sense) between one life and another. It's where you free yourself of your attachments to your former life, in this case your regrets, before moving on with the next one. It's far more Buddhist than anything Christian. (And yes, I have recanted my former heretical belief that AB world was a virtual reality for the living, but it is still evidently a place created by something like the Yggdrasil system of the Oh! My Goddess universe.)

The main thing though is that Otonashi and Kanade shouldn't have been there. Otonashi died without regrets (although he couldn't remember that at first because his heart had retained his final memories), and Kanade wasn't even dead. Let's look at Kanade first:
  • We already knew that she behaved so differently from both the "standard issue dead human" and the NPCs that the SSS had assigned her to a third category
  • If she had simply died after a sickly childhood with an unfulfilled desire to thank the person whose heart she had received then she would have arrived in AB world quite naturally, but instead she says that she "got lost and wandered" there because of the sheer force of her desire
  • She thanks Otonashi for his gift of life, which would be a somewhat meaningless thing to do if she were dead
As for Otonashi, he eventually got dragged there by Kanade's desire (confirming that the timelines of the real world and AB world are completely independent and cannot be compared).

So, back in episode 7, Otonashi says that he can keep on living if somebody thanks him, and now, in the final episode Kanade unknowingly fulfills this prefiguring by thanking him. She disappears and resumes her life (no time actually having passed in the real world while she was "AWOL"); Otonashi, having now no reason to stay in AB world, disappears shortly afterwards. And now the miracle occurs (this is Key, right?). Otonashi resumes his life too - he doesn't die in the train wreck, but to allow Kanade to survive, her heart condition is cured. Because neither of them were supposed to be in AB world in the first place, they retain some vestige of their memory of it - Kanade sings Iwasawa's song, and Otanshi recognizes it. Good end. And it really can be a good end, because now their relationship can grow naturally rather than being skewed by Kanade's debt obligation to Otonashi (not to mention that it also avoids the otherwise insoluble problem of "2 people 1 heart").

One last thing - I realise now that Kanade is so small because of her heart problem. It's a common side effect of some childhood cardiac conditions.
Old 2010-06-27, 06:06   Link #326
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuts View Post
I hope there's a Season 2 or OVA for this!
From what I heard, there will be an extra episode with the vol. 7 DVD, I think. I just hope it's about Yuri. With this last episode, it just crosses out all pairings for her that I can accept...
(i.e. Hinata->Yui, Otonashi->Kanade)

EDIT: Thought of this just now, but does this mean that Otonashi has disappeared as well?
Old 2010-06-27, 06:13   Link #327
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Mmhm.

They've all gotten over their past regrets...
Old 2010-06-27, 06:15   Link #328
Thoguht

Quote:
Originally Posted by roankun View Post
Thought of this just now, but does this mean that Otonashi has disappeared as well?
I would like to think so (see above), but there are those who say
Spoiler for a future part of the franchise, perhaps:
Old 2010-06-27, 07:08   Link #329
Auron Requies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
I would like to think so (see above), but there are those who say
It would be interesting if that was a parallel story, but (imo) both the ED and the Epilogue give the impression that Yuzuru eventually passes on and is then reincarnated.

But what I was thinking for a moment, some have figured that the timeline of Yuzuru and Kanade's deaths seem out of place if he died and his heart was transplanted to Kanade, extending her life for a short while, but eventually passes away.

Since the rules of the AB/purgatory world is never shown in every single detail, the above might be feel like a retcon (since they imply he got amnesia by getting hit by a vehicle, but that was clearly just an assumption), the possibility for this to work was:

What if God sent Yuzuru there?

Kanade has been there the longest, and the only way for her to move on is if she met Yuzuru, since that's what stopped her from moving on in the first place and Yuzuru also helped the others moved on as well. The only thing is he developed deep feelings for Kanade, which made the departure bitter/sweet, but I for one believe that he'll know deep down that he did a lot of good, there are no more people to help move on, and that living truly is wonderful, which he excepts shortly after.

Now, an OVA is announced, but its far too long a wait. The manga heavenly door is beginning by showing the events of Track Zero in manga visual (which is alright, though I sorta wish they'd have given more material since I know what was in store, but the visuals did help picture the scene right), but I hope they end up revealing more about the other characters, maybe even the Programmer, Shadow NPC and maybe even God.
Old 2010-06-27, 07:16   Link #330
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

The end is similar to School Days (related to bad end) ?
Old 2010-06-27, 07:58   Link #331
Key Board
Carbon

Yui kills Hinata for cheating with Yuri/Otonashi?

Naoi decapitates Otonashi?
Old 2010-06-27, 08:01   Link #332
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lold.

No, there is no yandere'ing here.
Old 2010-06-27, 08:58   Link #333
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
They should put up a scene where they are at school and they lead normal lives pity Naoi won't have his hypnotizing powers... I wish Yurippe got hypnotized one more time... and Hinata...

Naoi: Now realize, you are lower than a clown. You will praise me forever and ever...

Spoiler for smiles:

Spoiler for a cookie for one who can vector and make this a certifcate:

Last edited by bhl88; 2010-06-27 at 09:45.
Old 2010-06-27, 10:04   Link #334
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
They've all gotten over their past regrets...
Has he really? Shouldn't he have more regrets because of the Kanade thing (whatever that is)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
For some reason, I actually want that to happen.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:01   Link #335
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
or a cookie for one who can vector and make this a certifcate
I'll cookie as well. I'd certainly would like a certificate like that.

Quote:
For some reason, I actually want that to happen
Me as well.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:18   Link #336
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well there were lots of people speculating at the start that Otonashi might just be a mole sent by God to deal with the SSS. Considering what's happened that may actually be true.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:23   Link #337
Silver Dragon
SHOW DOWN
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
I would have still liked to see more pasts, especially Kanades, like when she got Otonashi's heart and how she died. I'm just gonna guess that maybe his heart was rejected by her body?
Old 2010-06-27, 11:43   Link #338
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Like School Days, there a bad end, but no yandere character.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:48   Link #339
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Like School Days, there a bad end, but no yandere character.
School Days didn't have a bad ending. All the idiots killed each other. That was a good thing.
Old 2010-06-27, 12:03   Link #340
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

But Angel Beats! has one of 2010 anime series who receive a bad end.
Closed Thread