AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-10-18, 10:57   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1064 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

That time is upon us! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Egghead Lab Phase". The ministory confirms that Van Augur and Kuzan (aka former admiral Aokiji) have kidnapped Pudding! What's more, it's confirmed that Kuzan is a member of the Blackbeard crew!!!

-Law vs. Blackbeard continues! In addition to using his awakened powers against the emperor, it's revealed that his crew are experts at fighting in the sea, since they grew up around the cold waters of North Blue! They back up their captain during the fight, who manages to land a nasty blow on Teach! Augur suggests retreating to the ship, but the emperor refuses.... as Blackbeard's way is to only move forward. We then cut to BB's ship.... where we see Pudding is held hostage. Her third eye is visible (no confirmation yet whether her hidden ability is awakened or not), and she seems to imply that Big Mom may be dead, since she threatens that Linlin would have crushed them if she were still alive. Back outside, the two captains are still in the heat of battle. We then briefly cut to the marine HQ, where Akainu receives a report about the battle between both pirate crews, which is taking place at "Winner Island".

-Meanwhile, back at Egghead, Bonney, who's still upset about Kuma, turned the rest of Luffy's group into different ages so they could give the Pacifista the slip! Jinbei then summarizes what he knows about Kuma: He was reputed to be the evil tyrant king of the Sorbet kingdom, until he was forced into exile by his own country's people.... which led to him becoming a pirate. He then joined the Revolutionary Army, but was eventually caught by the marines and sentenced to death. However, he was saved by Vegapunk, who was impressed by his great strength, and in exchange for becoming the doctor's test subject, the former king was spared and allowed to return to sea as one of the warlords. However, in Bonney's eyes, becoming a cyborg practically WAS a death sentence for her father. She also objects to the rumor of him being a tyrant, saying he simply hated the World Government.... which makes her believe he was coerced into working with them. She also notes her father told her that he's part of a special race.....

-Back to Zoro's group, Zoro and Brooke stay on the Sunny while the rest disembark at Egghead's "Lab Phase" with Vegapunk Lilith. The environment is essentially a recreation of the sky islands, interestingly enough. The crew then get a change of clothes before entering the lab. Within said lab, Vegapunk Shaka gets in touch with.... Dragon! He tells the RA leader that Vhe feels his own death is near.....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-10-20 at 14:17.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 11:16   Link #2
cyberdemon

Vegapunk seems to be dipping into all factions lol
Old 2022-10-18, 11:30   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Vegapunk seems to be dipping into all factions lol
Well. Vegapunk didn't get nitpicky about who he's working with. It would be worthwhile if he could sell every inch of his creation. As for Vegapunk and Dragon's relationship, I think it can serve as a motive for Gorosei to send CP-0 to remove him.

Assuming Big Mom was confirmed KIA, how about Kaido?

Furthermore, it would be a fight between Sweet Commanders for the Big Mom Pirates Captain position. But my bet would be on Katakuri since he's the best among the Charlotte Siblings.

As for Aokiji, I hope he will make his appearance soon. He's been missing in the story for too long. Hopefully, we will see his official appearance since Punk Hazard.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 12:09   Link #4
Rainbowman

Surprised that the former ice admiral has joined Blackbeard’s crew. Glad to see Nami is unharmed so far. Sure hope we learn the name of Bonney’s Devil Fruit when more of this chapter is revealed. Papa Vegapunk being on his deathbed is worrisome though.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 12:13   Link #5
grecefar

huh, I never imagined kuzan as antogonist but he must has his reason to join the BB crew.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 12:34   Link #6
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
huh, I never imagined kuzan as antogonist but he must has his reason to join the BB crew.
Almost 100% sure he is a spy.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 14:25   Link #7
Gerard07

Seen the spoilers, Law vs Kurohige started, the Heart pirates seem more active, Aokiji confirmed that he joined Kurohige and Vegapunk and Dragon..., something interesting can happen there, wait for more spoilers.
My crazy theories;
-The fight between Law and Kurohige will be interrupted by a third party who is probably Kataguri and the rest of the Big Mom Pirates.
-A member of Law's crew ate the Big Mon fruit, and through that, Law will keep the territory of TottoLand and get his 3rd Road Poneglyph (confirm me if I'm wrong, but he shouldn't have this Poneglyph, should he?).
-Aokiji is a spy, who is also a member of SWORD, which is a Marine unit NOT attached to the World Government.
-Aokiji will die at some point and Koby will eat the fruit from him.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-18, 17:14   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Almost 100% sure he is a spy.
Even Blackbeard knows it. If I recall, he and Burgess talk about how he can't be trusted back in Dressrosa.
Old 2022-10-18, 21:34   Link #9
Gerard07

I had forgotten, but Big Mon should have some Vivre cards, right? With that his children should have confirmed if he died or not, although I don't know if Pundding will have one.
I have a question; It's a bit off topic but, do you know where Law got the katana from and how long has he had it?.
Old 2022-10-20, 14:32   Link #10
marvelB

Bit late, but OP updated! Well, this chapter explains why Law's crew weren't of much help at Wano.... they're more suited for naval battles. Also, wonder which race Kuma is? I don't think he's a Lunarian, since he lacks their distinctive traits (darker skin, wings, white hair, etc.). But I imagine his bloodline is the reason why Vegapunk was able to mass produce all those pre-Seraphim Pacifistas. I suppose this is the Lineage Factor coming into play, once more....?

BTW, I still have my doubts about Big Mom being dead.... the main reason being Zeus. Wouldn't Linlin's demise basically mean his end, as well? But then again, maybe "deactivating" DF powers isn't that simple, since Hancock claimed just a few chapters ago that killing her and stealing her ability wouldn't return those she turned to stone back to normal. If true, would that apply to ALL DF powers, as well? Quite the mystery, indeed.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 09:01   Link #11
Ramero

In my opinion, if Big Mom does survive Wano, she doesn't have the strength to fight at this moment. The damage she sustained is far more than we could imagine.

Queen Mama Chanter suffers damage at the keel after King and Marco smack it to knock it off before entering Wano. Even Smoothie, as one of the Sweet Commanders, can't do anything about it.

If I remember, if she was knocked out, then the DF effect would dissipate. We had already seen the effect of Doflamingo, Sugar, and Van Der Decken's DF when they were knocked out. If Big Mom was knocked out, then the entire islands around Whole Cake Island would lose homies as the soul dissipates back to its owner.

We could see what happened to Sugar after her DF power dissipated when she was knocked out. Every toys she built for over ten years was gone with one single knock-out from Usopp.
Old 2022-10-21, 09:24   Link #12
grecefar

Yeah, I doubt Big Mom is dead after this chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 12:39   Link #13
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, it is confirmed that Aokiji joined Kurohige, Law's crew is fighting, a bit of Kuma's past was revealed and Dragon is in contact with Vegapunk, things look interesting, waiting for the next chapter.
Regarding Big Mom, I think if she died, not all akuma no mi work the same way; his fruit allowed him to take the "soul" of other people and if she wanted to give it to objects, but I don't think its effects disappear if the user dies, it would not seem strange to me that these objects continue to live until their life expectancy is exhausted, but hey, Oda will reveal the answer eventually.
Old 2022-10-21, 17:49   Link #14
itachi-san314

I like how Oda tied the cover story to the chapter. Very nicely done. Great chapter all around although I certainly hope we've seen the last of Big Mom and Kaido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I still have my doubts about Big Mom being dead.... the main reason being Zeus. Wouldn't Linlin's demise basically mean his end, as well? But then again, maybe "deactivating" DF powers isn't that simple, since Hancock claimed just a few chapters ago that killing her and stealing her ability wouldn't return those she turned to stone back to normal. If true, would that apply to ALL DF powers, as well? Quite the mystery, indeed.....
Sounds like we're about to get an explanation from Vegapunk about DFs finally.

If the Zeus question comes up, I think he'll say that Zeus developed his own life force and Big Mom/Hera actually did take back their original soul energy. I don't think we've ever seen an active DF power after death, just the effects of the powers.

Of course, Big Mom might be alive too.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-22, 08:36   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Someone please save Pudding
I'm curious at how welcoming Vegapunk to Strawhat. It is still too early to guess Vegapunk's real intention.
Law is putting up a good fight.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-22, 18:53   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm not sure how growing up in North Blue means Law's crew is as good if not better than fishmen in the water. That makes zero sense.

Everyone's been thinking it but Law pointing out how stupid it is for Blackbeard to have made his entire crew eat DFs was great. But I guess Blackbeard can break the fourth wall and is aware that absolutely no DF user in the series has died from drowning.
Old 2022-10-22, 22:01   Link #17
Gerard07

Seeing the chapter, Shachi and Penguin maybe they belong to some special race or are descendants of Gyojin (as Dellinger is a descendant of fighting fish) or something like that, and with respect to the rest of the crew I guess they are used to fighting with a submarine for his way through the North Blue and the Grand Line (by the way, is it known which way his crew took when they entered the Grand Line?).
Regarding Kurohige's crew, it's true that it seems that most of the commanders are Akuma no mi users and do most of the hard work, but there are also normal pirates among the crew, if there is an emergency I guess they could swim to help users.
Old 2022-10-23, 02:46   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Everyone's been thinking it but Law pointing out how stupid it is for Blackbeard to have made his entire crew eat DFs was great. But I guess Blackbeard can break the fourth wall and is aware that absolutely no DF user in the series has died from drowning.
Some of their DFs could save the crew from hitting the water though, like Aokiji freezing the water surface or Van Auger teleporting them to safety
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-23, 07:53   Link #19
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Seeing the chapter, Shachi and Penguin maybe they belong to some special race or are descendants of Gyojin (as Dellinger is a descendant of fighting fish) or something like that, and with respect to the rest of the crew I guess they are used to fighting with a submarine for his way through the North Blue and the Grand Line (by the way, is it known which way his crew took when they entered the Grand Line?).
Regarding Kurohige's crew, it's true that it seems that most of the commanders are Akuma no mi users and do most of the hard work, but there are also normal pirates among the crew, if there is an emergency I guess they could swim to help users.
Remember Chimney? She's a descendant of fishman and she's excellent at swimming. There could be more hidden descendants of fishman, or there was another scenario.

The place where Law established his pirate could be a place that requires the citizens to swim, which earns them a proficiency possibly on par with fishman.
Old 2022-10-24, 15:39   Link #20
necrolyte

BB is staying in character and I really like that. He is fighting without any plan in mind and just leaving everything to fate/luck/whatever, laughing his arse of and focused on his final goal, knowing nothing can stop him. He is great character if you ask me even thou he is the main antagonist. I also like how Law is able to counter him for now but I know he is nowhere near beating an emperor alone.
On the part about Kuma, I am also curious what is his race and if Bonney has something of it in her. If she really is his biological child she should have some unique characteristics I guess.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote