AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-01-23, 22:50   Link #2181
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Or Moriarty. Unfortunately, he or his descendants appear to not exist in Hidan no Aria universe.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 02:43   Link #2182
tsunade666

Holmes is in the beginning of the story. A prolong which been over for 400 year already. A relic of the past. It's the time of the current generation and not the past. That's why the current know people are from the descendants of the past and not themselves.

Holmes acts as a teacher or master or a way for the past to move on because the war for irokane was stuck or rather the research was stuck on him so he past it into Aria which then be called hidan no aria. That's the title of this series.

Sure Holmes might be haxed opponent that even combine Tohyama siblings can't beat easily. Well he can unleash lightning, blizzard or control the darn weather at that antarctic battle field. But in the end he choose to fight kinji as a butei and not a choutei which makes it an epic battle.

And G III is not a choutei but a butei rank R or royal butei. He doesn't have an irokane in possession. His just pure strong just like Kana.
Old 2012-01-24, 04:06   Link #2183
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I can't imagine someone like Holmes (think the Robert Downey Jr. incarnation) taking up magic lessons, lol. [Darn, Robert Downey Jr. changes my outlook of Sherlock Holmes so much that I can't help but compare other Holmeses in fiction. Downey Jr.'s just that good.]

As for you, tsunade666, if you can change the plot of Hidan no Aria, which aspect of the light novels would you change? I know you're quite well-versed with the LNs, and I wanna know how a reader would think about its concept.

I'm also curious as to what caused Yoake no Hikari to stop translating the light novels. According to (not sure if her), the story is becoming uninteresting.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2012-01-24, 05:01   Link #2184
HasuMasu
*Artist

Author having trouble in power-level consistency isn't something that bothers me, I'm a Naruto fan after all.
Old 2012-01-24, 06:45   Link #2185
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Marcus, I don't see why Holmes being defeated so early in the story would bother you; Touma defeated the Number One Esper in the third volume, and this was before we learnt how huge the World is so that was also a pretty big deal for the early readers.

Maybe Sherlock just isn't the toughest cookie in the jar anymore.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 06:47   Link #2186
HasuMasu
*Artist

Wait, is it confirmed that we've seen the last of Holmes?

If not, he could always appear again later...though I doubt that.
Old 2012-01-24, 06:58   Link #2187
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Marcus, I don't see why Holmes being defeated so early in the story would bother you; Touma defeated the Number One Esper in the third volume, and this was before we learnt how huge the World is so that was also a pretty big deal for the early readers.
Well, Holmes is supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective of all time. Considering his track record, he should be a Butei's biggest hero — or their biggest nightmare, if ever he becomes the enemy. Compared to Holmes, Accelerator is a nobody who relies on his power; Holmes already had the advantage of several hundred years of respect.

On another topic, was there any mention of any noted Armed Prosecutors? Are they more powerful than GIII? I seriously hope they aren't, because it just turns the powerlevel consistency even more absurd. (I think the only way we can get gun fights from the first volumes of the light novels is through a strictly-controlled duel in which no superhuman abilities must be used.)

Old 2012-01-24, 07:23   Link #2188
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Well, Holmes is supposed to be the Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective of all time. Considering his track record, he should be a Butei's biggest hero — or their biggest nightmare, if ever he becomes the enemy. Compared to Holmes, Accelerator is a nobody who relies on his power; Holmes already had the advantage of several hundred years of respect.
Po-tay-toes, Po-tar-toes, it's still the same thing that the top of the top character that is final boss material gets defeated before the final.
Old 2012-01-24, 07:29   Link #2189
HasuMasu
*Artist

This reminds me of a time long before any of you were born, when some dude went over to the IS novel thread and started making To aru comparisons...it really didn't work.

Holmes =/= Accelerator, especially since Accelerator is moe.
Old 2012-01-24, 07:59   Link #2190
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
This reminds me of a time long before any of you were born, when some dude went over to the IS novel thread and started making To aru comparisons...it really didn't work.

*Looks at the dates we joined*

Meh, it's probably MeisterBabylon...

Quote:
Holmes =/= Accelerator, especially since Accelerator is moe.
I'm talking about their status as final boss material, nothing to do with their background or design =_=
Old 2012-01-24, 08:10   Link #2191
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
*Looks at the dates we joined*

Meh, it's probably MeisterBabylon...

I'm talking about their status as final boss material, nothing to do with their background or design =_=
I'm even more of a joker than Meister, so son't mind it too much.

I don't think Accelerator is quite the same as Holmes when it comes to status, as Marcus mentioned.
Old 2012-01-24, 08:15   Link #2192
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I don't think Accelerator is quite the same as Holmes when it comes to status, as Marcus mentioned.
The problem is you guys are comparing two worlds with each other when you're suppose to be viewing each character in the individual series.

The Number One Esper in a world full of Espers (setting-wise, I don't mean literally of course)
The Number One Detective in a world full of Detectives/Buteis.

This isn't hard to see the connection.

Bah, I don't want to fight about this- It's just weird that this bothers Marcus.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-01-24 at 09:07.
Old 2012-01-24, 09:37   Link #2193
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
As for you, tsunade666, if you can change the plot of Hidan no Aria, which aspect of the light novels would you change? I know you're quite well-versed with the LNs, and I wanna know how a reader would think about its concept.

CHOUTEI!!!!
I probably ignore if Choutei is on the same level as butei but it's not. Your butei rank doesn't mean your choutei rank and it's pretty screwed up in this verse because everyone can copy the moves of the others if they knew the mechanics or secret behind it.

Sherlock Holmes is indeed a big figure because since the early volume until his confrontation. Sherlock Holmes = god in Aria's perspective or other butei. They even had a subject of history for Sherlocks noble works. But that's in the past already. His in history book. This old man that keeps on living thanks to Irokane which can make you grew slower for 400+ years is an old relic of the past and considered dead already. That's why it's a surprise when he shows up to messed up with Kinji though the main objective of him is to pass onto Aria the Scarlet Bullet Irokane.

And indeed Sherlock Holmes is pretty prominent butei in this verse we got other prominent being from historical heroes to ancient ayakashi or youka which is still okay for me................ I keep saying to myself (it's okay it's just added cast plus Tamamo is cute ..... . >.>) The author did screw up when he started to spread it from normal views of the world into fantasy world but it's already been foreshadowed for me because in vol 2 we got witche and miko priestess spamming magic and in vol 3 we got ogre vampire hybrid that looks like a werewolf..... so still okay ( or so I wish -_- ) it's interesting as long as the characters are interesting which is the case though in battle. Kinji is always get curb stomp. He manage to fight in equal grounds in the first few volumes but since CHOUTEI was introduce or been spread well.... Hilda teleports in shadows >.> or so I wish bullets would hit it but still Kinji being Kinji and his awesome Hysteria mode though not so awesome anymore can still manage to win.

And Kinji sparkles ( I hate to say that word ) when he fights against a guy. Since the nature of Hysteria mode is to protect the girls. He can't really hurt his enemy if it's a girl which limited a LOT his options. Since butei can't kill and Kinji can't hurt a girl then what option does our hero got >.> well he got submission moves, awesome taijutsu and god speed moves for one attack and lightning fast reflex. I did say that Hysteria mode looks uncool compare to magic clad Choutei and it looks weak but with the help of his teammates which was been the whole point already since volume 1 that they are partners! he still manage to win. Kinji just truly shine when it's a guy because he can fight without holding back and just slice the living hell out of you.

The armed prosecutors are dangerous because they are from the government. Not powerwise because I still think kinji in hysteria mode can outwit them because he can even take down 100 fbi agents in that mode though it's noted that armed prosecutors are strong and even in hysteria normale he would be having a hard time but that's not the point. Armed prosecutors are from the government and they have back up while Butei are mercenaries which is hired to take on a crime. They are paid and given privileged to capture criminals but you know how government works. A government official is still hard to take on specially with all their connections.
Old 2012-01-24, 10:28   Link #2194
azziz

i may have misunterstood something but,with my bad english,i'll try to clarify something:kinji didn't really beat holmes,holmes only make it look so:all appened exactly(save for the hadbutt)as he planned.
sherlock is so smart he can know the futur(thus>supercomputer)and foresee aria birth decade before with her ability to become hidan no aria;he wanted her to have a worthy partner(like him with watson)who would do anything to protect her so he had his organisation put false charge on aria mother-in japan-wich resulted in aria transfering to kinji school;sent riko as the butei killer so they would get closer.
jeanne aka durandal follow=shirayuki join the gang;lastly there was vlad who made riko fall for him(while earning jeanne respect) and so on until the final confrontation-after cleopatra incident)who happened exactly as S.H. foreseen(getting aria to use her hidan so he could shoot irokane and the 7 layer of golden shell 3 years in past.
he even had aria wear twin tail after his supposed "defeat" so she and kinji would no die and have a safe landing.
holmes was dying and thus he choose aria&kinji to be his successor;kinji just wanted to lead a boring life as aE-rank butei so he had to make it look as if he was defeated(as GIII said,us satellite fimed everything) so that would be impossible;all of this was to make kinji grow and strenghten his bond with aria and add all the powerful girl who were defeated by him or fell in love with him(reki,watson,kaname,perhaps hilda)as aria protector-be it for their friendship with her or for hid sake.
if you read vol.5,then this post shoul be unnacessary,but then why are you discuting the credibility of sherlock defeat while no only he could have won if he wanted(all his power+his ability to anticipate all kinji's actions make it certain)but it would have been against his interest:in other word,by accomplishing all his goal(like dismantling IE)he's the one who achieving true victory;kinji,kana and aria were just puppet playing under his tune all along.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 10:54   Link #2195
tsunade666

Marcus probably didn't read it and also other members here even though they are here didn't read it -_- they said they stop reading in some point even though it's still fun and all.

And like I said to me Sherlock Holmes is a teacher and a guide to the new generation and just a relic of the past.

I think you should put the way Sherlock planned it all because it's spoiler which is weird for me to even ask because this a novel thread and expect to be spoiled by info's when you go to this thread but with the current affairs in discussion regarding why Sherlock was beaten already even though it's just beginning to for correction it didn't even begun.

The story actual begun after the battle with Sherlock Holmes. It's a long overdue overture or prologue.

Well let's just leave your post like that. It might give a positive note too.
Old 2012-01-24, 15:36   Link #2196
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

All the posts above were tl, so I dr: Holmes wasn't defeated, he just let Kinji win after he got headbutted in the face. If he wanted to, Kinji would be splattered all over the metal grate.

And when I scrolled to the top of the page:

I stopped translating for the reason you stated. I started again though. Despite that, the reason I'm not translating now is simple inability to.

このときに、この二人は独自の世界を展開・・・
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 17:26   Link #2197
Flere821
Lurker

On the topic of Holmes being taken down too easily and should have been a 'final boss'... didn't he say his time is up soon, even with the Irokane prolonging his lifespan? I'm sure there was also the reason that he 'stepped down' was to pass on the Irokane, AKA 'Scarlet ammo' or 'Hidan' to Aria so she can perfect the Irokane techniques. Holmes was too calm and too analytical in his personality, and when Crimson Irokane is about passion he doesn't have the right temperament for it. Hence he gave it to Aria, knowing she can finish what he started.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 18:51   Link #2198
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Has the Scarlet Irokane been used against the opponent?
If she failed once using it, what would be its upgrade (especially in a world where people can outmatch guns)?

Old 2012-01-24, 19:02   Link #2199
Flere821
Lurker

Aria was mentioned in the previous novel trying to find a way to harness the power of the Irokane against Kaname, after she got defeated. Aria haven't consciously used the Irokane to date however, apart from that time against Sherlock (or that time against Cleopatra, and this one's arguably not 'consciously controlled').

In theory, Aria with full control over her Irokane is on the level of a God according to G III. A special/powerful ability-user among espers and whatnot, high above them like how espers/magicians/youkai are more powerful compared to normal people.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 19:22   Link #2200
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ So the story finally bids farewell to the world of guns.

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen