AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 14:24   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is a good, free torrent client (other than utorrent)

Edit: The problem is no more. I'm going to re-purpose this thread. I was curious to know what is a good, free torrent client, other than utorrent.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2013-04-23 at 15:12.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 14:40   Link #2
Tiberium Wolf

Concerning about the torrents not showing up. Do u see the groups in top left corner? Maybe you have one selected that doesn't show any.

Magnet link (got it from a site)
Quote:
When you download a .torrent file, you're essentially downloading a small file that contains information on the larger files you want to download. The torrent file tells your torrent client the names of the files being shared, a URL for the tracker, and more. Your torrent client then calculates a hash code, which is a unique code that only that torrent has—kind of like an ISBN or catalog number. From there, it can use that code to find others uploading those files, so you can download from them.

A magnet link does away with the middleman. A magnet link is essentially a hyperlink containing the hash code for that torrent, which your torrent client can immediately use to start finding people sharing those files. Magnet links don't require a tracker, nor does it require you to download a separate file before starting the download, which is convenient.

If you re-add a torrent it will just see if there is new trackers to add to the one already open. No big deal.
Old 2013-04-23, 15:11   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

D'oh! I found where they went. I clicked on one category in the filter frame and found a "hidden" category. They were there. I don't know why they went there.

Well, I'm going to re-purpose this thread. I was curious to know what is a good, free torrent client, other than utorrent.
Old 2013-04-25, 20:05   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I use qBittorrent. Open-source, no fuss, high compatibility. Just works.

There's the old favorite Vuze (formerly Azureus), Tixati for the configuration freaks -- albeit what the hell are you trying to configure so much about torrents anyway? -- and Transmission for non-Windows users. But I like things to just work, with minimal clutter, so qBittorrent for me.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 22:02   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I guess qBittorrent sounds like a winner. I remember reading a few months ago that utorrent was forcing something upon their users with new updates. What was that about? Anyone recall?
Old 2013-04-26, 00:41   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Mm. Something about ads.

That and there were some software bloat for unnecessary functions and the like. uTorrent became super popular because it was a lightweight, Just Works client unlike how Azureus was, so as it "grew" people started asking questions. Many have experiences that uTorrent 2.x is faster than 3.x (I didn't really notice myself*). There is also the "sellout" aspect as the original Bittorent, Inc. bought uTorrent.

*DO NOT, however, use anything older than 2.2.1. There are well known security exploits.
Old 2013-04-26, 17:26   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Since you didn't specify operating system, I'll throw in a recommendation for Transmission, a Mac and Linux client. I've been using it for the past few years and like it quite a bit.
Old 2013-04-26, 18:42   Link #8
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
*DO NOT, however, use anything older than 2.2.1. There are well known security exploits.
uTorrent 2.0.4 (stable) is still the oldest uTorrent version free of known security exploits as far as I remember.

uTorrent builds older than 2.0.4 (stable) contained known security exploits.

uTorrent builds newer than 2.0.4 (stable) but older than 2.2.1 (stable) contained known security exploits.
Old 2013-04-26, 21:32   Link #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I was curious to know what is a good, free torrent client, other than utorrent.
BitTorrent
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 23:41   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Since you didn't specify operating system, I'll throw in a recommendation for Transmission, a Mac and Linux client. I've been using it for the past few years and like it quite a bit.

I have Windows 7 64-bit.
Old 2013-04-29, 07:45   Link #11
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I have Windows 7 64-bit.
The following are a list of BT clients:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...orrent_clients

Since you're using Windows, there's Free Download Manager (no ads), which also acts as a BT client. Or there's Deluge.
Old 2013-04-29, 12:03   Link #12
flying ^

tixati is super-light, super clean and easy on eyes (black background + colored texts)
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 21:22   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So recommendations are qBittorrent, BitTorrent, Free Download Manager, and Tixati.

Now I'll have to find out which one to choose. Maybe there is an article on a site rating the top torrent clients of 2012.

Thanks for the recommendations to those who gave one.
Old 2013-04-29, 23:03   Link #14
Eragon
Still Alive

Anyone ever used zbigz ? For people behind stringent proxy, like myself, this is a godsend.
Old 2013-04-30, 01:21   Link #15
Haiprbim
Banned

Laddies and gentlemen, I hope you haven't forgotten about our main focus - BitTorrent.
AnimeSuki as a site focuses mainly on those, so if a question is any Torrent besides uTorrent, you might want to be interested in BitTorrent.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 03:53   Link #16
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
So recommendations are qBittorrent, BitTorrent, Free Download Manager, and Tixati.
Free Download Manager can do torrent, but it's not a dedicated bittorrent client. It has other functions, features, and things that...you might not want. Or you might. Personally I think download managers are so 2005. :/

BitTorrent, the official client, is being developed by the same company (Bittorrent, Inc.) that is developing uTorrent. I have no idea why people would choose the "official" client as a genuine alternative to uTorrent with the circumstances being so -- whether good or bad, one would expect them to be quite similar. Of course, I don't know myself how much code they actually share between them under the hood, given then they are both proprietary software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim
Laddies and gentlemen, I hope you haven't forgotten about our main focus - BitTorrent.
AnimeSuki as a site focuses mainly on those, so if a question is any Torrent besides uTorrent, you might want to be interested in BitTorrent.
Your post is really hard to understand. Are you sure you're not confusing the bittorrent protocol -- the filesharing "medium" that every torrent program out there is created to work with -- and the client program named BitTorrent?
Old 2013-04-30, 04:36   Link #17
monster

Quote:
BitTorrent, the official client, is being developed by the same company (Bittorrent, Inc.) that is developing uTorrent. I have no idea why people would choose the "official" client as a genuine alternative to uTorrent with the circumstances being so -- whether good or bad, one would expect them to be quite similar. Of course, I don't know myself how much code they actually share between them under the hood, given then they are both proprietary software.
Since Urzu 7 didn't state any problem that he/she is actually having with uTorrent, BitTorrent is a semi-tongue-in-cheek suggestion from me since I personally think that uTorrent is still currently a good client. Urzu 7 might just prefer purple over green.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 11:10   Link #18
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Your post is really hard to understand. Are you sure you're not confusing the bittorrent protocol -- the filesharing "medium" that every torrent program out there is created to work with -- and the client program named BitTorrent?
BitTorrent is a Torrent-based program besides uTorrent, and I was just answering the 1st post's question.
More focused the question will be, more focused answer you can expect.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-05-02 at 13:57.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 11:38   Link #19
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Any good Free Torrent Client that is Ad free?
Old 2013-05-04, 06:03   Link #20
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

uTorrent, once you turn off the ads (and it's really quite simple).

Preferences -> Advanced -> everything under "offers.*" set to false or blank.
You may wish to set "gui.show_plus_sell" to false as well.