AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-09, 20:32   Link #14701
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Indeed. In my line of work, I hear a lot of investors putting money into things like Emerging Market Debt. A lot of it has to do with future projections on what these investments will yield (or what they think will yield). What I think this means is they're basically spending money on debt investments in the hopes of gaining something out of it in the future. It's the same is if you would invest in Equities or Fixed Income, except they have a negative value rather than a positive one. I could be wrong, but I'm sure Saintess would be able to explain this better.
I'd say those investors should just go turn themselves into soylent green - TRADERS can do that, but not INVESTORS.

Debt is something one should not hold for long, as simple logic dictates. An EMD is still a debt, and as much interest as one can collect from buying the bond, there isn't any point in holding it for too long because your capital is at stake there.

And your capital is always larger than the total interest earned in the bond. It is compounding that makes big money, but the longer a debt is owed, the more likely it is going to be a bad debt; there isn't any time for the compounding to churn out a 500% profit.

While one may argue that this isn't a problem because the investors are pooling in their money, they forget that most, if not all investors, use something called leverage. And where does the proportionate money from the leverage come from? Central banks. And where does the money from the central banks (as of 2009) come from? The government.

And where does the money from the government come from? *sarcastic*

I wonder if this is the cause of math being taught in school around the world - the East teaches drilling, while the West simply skim over it. Nobody is teaching the application of critical thinking and case studies to it - just formulae and concepts.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-07-09 at 20:42.
Old 2011-07-09, 22:07   Link #14702
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Pakistan army says New York Times report is a "direct attack"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7681SM20110710
Are they serious ? The more inneficace they are, the biggest the ego, or what ?
Old 2011-07-09, 22:14   Link #14703
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In light of of the abortion discussion I was actually planning to to post a video of an illegal abortion done using a coat hanger and no anesthesia. It's one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen. Medically justifiable abortion has it's standards, and abortion itself comes with a metric f-ton of possible dangerous complications even in the most well equipped hospitals.
Old 2011-07-09, 22:34   Link #14704
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I wonder if this is the cause of math being taught in school around the world - the East teaches drilling, while the West simply skim over it. Nobody is teaching the application of critical thinking and case studies to it - just formulae and concepts.
I'd say you're very right about this. I'm an engineering student, and I have to take significantly more math than business majors. Not just different math, but more math. And my math is applied. I have to learn the formulae and concepts, but I also have to learn how to apply it to real problems.

And they only need one semester of statistics... what?

Derp.
Old 2011-07-10, 00:03   Link #14705
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
I'd say those investors should just go turn themselves into soylent green - TRADERS can do that, but not INVESTORS.

Debt is something one should not hold for long, as simple logic dictates. An EMD is still a debt, and as much interest as one can collect from buying the bond, there isn't any point in holding it for too long because your capital is at stake there.

And your capital is always larger than the total interest earned in the bond. It is compounding that makes big money, but the longer a debt is owed, the more likely it is going to be a bad debt; there isn't any time for the compounding to churn out a 500% profit.

While one may argue that this isn't a problem because the investors are pooling in their money, they forget that most, if not all investors, use something called leverage. And where does the proportionate money from the leverage come from? Central banks. And where does the money from the central banks (as of 2009) come from? The government.

Right, well, we know where all the companies I've been calling for the past year are gonna end up in a while. It's not good to keep money that's constantly coming out of thin air. Debt of any kind shouldn't be held for long, but of all the things they invest in, I'm really surprised that it's one of the more popular options after Equities.

But yeah, the problem is precisely that nobody teaches using proper case studies and applications of the theories and formulae that's taught in textbooks. Really doesn't give people the opportunity to think about what they're studying and simply being taught to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Derp.
Statistics is nothing but tables and record-maintenance, really. Especially when it comes to something of a more practical nature.
Old 2011-07-10, 00:36   Link #14706
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I'd say you're very right about this. I'm an engineering student, and I have to take significantly more math than business majors. Not just different math, but more math. And my math is applied. I have to learn the formulae and concepts, but I also have to learn how to apply it to real problems.

Derp.
It's great when "Derp!" is actually a total and complete response Not just business majors, but the "Arts and Letters" of many degrees... appalling by Renaissance standards
Old 2011-07-10, 04:30   Link #14707
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Australia to tax nation's worst polluters
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-10-05-24-38
Quote:
SYDNEY (AP) -- Australia will force its 500 worst polluters to pay 23 Australian dollars ($25) for every ton of carbon dioxide they emit, with the government promising to compensate households hit with higher power bills under a plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions unveiled Sunday. ...
Old 2011-07-10, 04:52   Link #14708
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Right, well, we know where all the companies I've been calling for the past year are gonna end up in a while. It's not good to keep money that's constantly coming out of thin air. Debt of any kind shouldn't be held for long, but of all the things they invest in, I'm really surprised that it's one of the more popular options after Equities.
The money flow went towards equities from bonds and commodities this year. Many people are expecting growth after an economic shock, hence their funds went into something that has the potential to grow over time.

IMO, the flow seems to be significantly slower this time round because I am still seeing alot of money in commodities. Sugar usually takes a nosedive at this part of the year, but it isn't trending as much as it should be even close to the second week.

Quote:

Derp.
Quote:
Statistics is nothing but tables and record-maintenance, really. Especially when it comes to something of a more practical nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It's great when "Derp!" is actually a total and complete response Not just business majors, but the "Arts and Letters" of many degrees... appalling by Renaissance standards
I took two modules in math, one in statistics and one in college math. And I'd say both are pretty junk - their idea of "application" is to do a set of questions for the former, and a survey project for the latter. In the latter, only 2 marks are given for the "identify cause of anomalies" section.

And the course is supposed to be a pre-requisite to progress to the University of London. Standards certainly stooped so low and syllabuses certainly took a turn for theory rather than practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Australia to tax nation's worst polluters
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-10-05-24-38
Does this cover News Corp agencies as well? *sarcastic*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-07-10, 05:13   Link #14709
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Does this cover News Corp agencies as well? *sarcastic*
I am usualy saying than tabloids are shity newspapers but to tallk of them as ''polution''... the classified advertissement section can't be as bad as the others sections, no ?
Old 2011-07-10, 05:26   Link #14710
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
I took two modules in math, one in statistics and one in college math. And I'd say both are pretty junk - their idea of "application" is to do a set of questions for the former, and a survey project for the latter. In the latter, only 2 marks are given for the "identify cause of anomalies" section.

And the course is supposed to be a pre-requisite to progress to the University of London. Standards certainly stooped so low and syllabuses certainly took a turn for theory rather than practical.
There's a reason for that. Universities are trying to lower their standards so that more students get a higher grade, and that in turn makes their rank in the listings even higher. The uni I went to, for instance, hardly ever changed the question sets in every exam year after year on purpose so that students knew ahead of time what would come for them. There would be some differences in the questions themselves, but the topics covered in the exams would never change. This was done so that students would have better chances of getting higher grades. It surprised me quite a lot that people still got C grades in exams because of that.
Old 2011-07-10, 05:29   Link #14711
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

Actually there are situations where holding long term debt is acceptable, and even desirable. If you have low enough interest rates, and you know any excess capital you have will accumulate more income if you invest it, then there's no point in paying off your debt. The only point when you should start paying off your debt is when you make more income by paying it off then by investing your profit elsewhere.

If you ever play a game like Railroad Tycoon 3 this is quite apparent. I often max out my loans when the interest rate gets low enough.

In this way it's very easy for a company to accumalate large amounts of debt.

Of course you shouldn't be taking out debt to cover actual regular expenditure, and you should be careful with the type of debt you take out (fixed rate is likely a much better choice).

I recall a guy who built himself a "buy to let" empire during the boom, whereby he'd buy properties, charge rent on them, and use that income from previous properties to secure against 100% loans to get even more properties. In all cases his income from rent was always greater then his expense in interest, so he just kept on buying more properties with money he essentially didn't have. A clevel scheme, but unfortunately he used variable loans and when interest rates went up....
Old 2011-07-10, 11:17   Link #14712
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

White House: US suspending $800M in Pakistan aid
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-10-10-05-36
It's about the third of the help than the US give to them.
Old 2011-07-10, 17:16   Link #14713
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Rep. Michele Bachmann had been the first GOP hopeful to sign “The Marriage Vow,” which included in the introduction a section that lamented that “the Institution of Marriage in America is in great crisis.”

One piece of evidence it offered was the claim that a black person born into slavery “was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American president.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z4
got a real winner here.
Old 2011-07-10, 17:20   Link #14714
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So... Is there some way to make them sign a check, or maybe a bank transfer order by titling the thing "Marriage Vow" or something?
Old 2011-07-10, 17:48   Link #14715
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Tea Party sure forgot what "libertarian" means, didn't they?

Bachmann is just Palin v2.0. And she can't seem to stop sticking her foot in her mouth, just like her predecessor.
Old 2011-07-10, 19:32   Link #14716
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
The Tea Party sure forgot what "libertarian" means, didn't they?
That implies they knew what it meant in the first place. I think you're giving them too much credit here.

Me thinks a used condom is more useful at running the country than them.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-10, 20:00   Link #14717
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Why do Americans die younger than Britons?
Old 2011-07-10, 20:42   Link #14718
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Too bad corporations are hell bent on making sure that health care reform is repealed or heavily watered down... (Yeah... even more watered down than it already is).
Old 2011-07-10, 21:47   Link #14719
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gaddafi government in talks with France: report
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76A00020110711
Is France changing his position ?
Old 2011-07-10, 23:49   Link #14720
killer3000ad

Australia to impose carbox tax

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international