AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-14, 01:13   Link #81
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I don't find much of a problem with profanity. It has its moments where it can be appropriate.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 12:27   Link #82
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Yeap, I'll curse from time to time, usually in anger, sometimes in fun. I try not to get carried away with it though, no need for an 'f' bomb every other word.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 13:39   Link #83
M!rage
~Queen of evil~

i don't swear unless it is something v. importanat ..... & i hate cursing it is really bad 2 swear or curse ... but sometimes i say damn when am really angry ...even that this is wrong><
M!rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 20:53   Link #84
GreatTeacherKen

Normally I don't swear that much (especially in public though that might because I don't talk that much. ) unless I get particularly angry; though sometimes I use it in a joking manner.

My mother, however, seems to swear a lot more now that she has a firmer grasp on the English language.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 01:00   Link #85
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
That's assuming you're in a polite well mannered environment. In my current job, cursing and swearing is very common especially with the field engineers. Most of us swear and curse to unwind or destress. Just to let out some of those trouble bottled in us. It's a sort of camaraderie among us.
It is very culturally-based, and by "culture" I'm really referring to "microcultures" (a work environment culture at a specific company, for example). I understand that, but I also feel that a lot of people are under the impression that it isn't a big deal - it doesn't affect anyone - everyone does it - and so on. I'm just speaking out to say that there are still some of us who are not desensitized and who do not appreciate it.

This isn't aimed at Jazzrat, but at anyone reading: if you want to know how it feels to be on the receiving end of someone who curses incessently over nearly every little thing, I can tell you. Just imagine that, instead of cursing, a person got into the habit of stating violent things that they felt the urge to do to something. Say they tripped over a cat - in anger they'd be saying, "right now I'd really love to get my knife and stab that cat a dozen times, and then I'd rip its head off and set it on fire!" Aside from being terribly disturbing, you'd probably be thinking "woah, buddy, calm down - you didn't break anything, it's not a big deal, really, don't let it ruin your day..."

When some people use strong curses over really minor things, it's somewhat similar. The cursing person comes across as being someone with a very short temper, foul mood, negative outlook, or any combination of those. It's unpleasant to witness such a person, as they highlight every little setback in life and make it seem as if each one is truly terrible. You can only wonder how far they'll go when something really bad happens.

At least, that's my take on it. If you're in company that doesn't mind cursing, go right ahead. Just be aware that not everyone appreciates it, even if they are (seemingly) in the minority.
Old 2009-06-15, 02:18   Link #86
Clarste
Human

I never swear at all, although that has nothing to do with being polite. I just never learned how to because my parents went out of their way to avoid swearing in front of me or letting me watch movies with swearing, etc, so it just doesn't come naturally at all. When I quote people who swear, it feels somewhat awkward, like using a word from a foreign language. I know what it means, but it's not my word.

I've actually got a pretty bad temper that comes out every so often, so I'd argue that swearing has absolutely nothing to do with aggression or anything. Plenty of calm people swear jokingly and plenty of angry people rant incoherently using "polite" language. Of course being unable to switch to polite language when necessary can cause social problems, but the use of the words themselves means nothing in terms of personality, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, I do sometimes make up words or say nonsensical phrases in situations where people might normally swear (like when things are going horribly wrong), so I guess in terms of meaning I do swear, just not using words that are normally considered swearing. Only to myself though, in the sense of "swearing under your breath."
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 16:27   Link #87
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I swear when I'm upset / angry. I have a lot of temper sometimes so no wonder. Even a small person like me can be rather intimidating when ticked of
I'm not really proud of it, but that's how I am . Maybe I'm just too passionate about some things.
I do try not to do it in front of people where I need to watch my reputation, e.g. boss at work, family members of friends, in front of kids etc.
But I'm not really extreme, I behave, normally .. I just explode sometimes.
My friends never think to much of it thankfully xD

My mother swears a lot more heavier, though. Mostly in tagalog or english so not many understand. And no one starts too think too bad of her .. maybe a little scared, but you automatically respect my mum .. she has that authority aura about XD (Even so she isn't really a strict person)
She also has a very bad temper and gets ticked of by the slightest bull, like an red light.

I once remember she slipped one of her heavy curses in philippines on a market, where EVERYONE understood her and a whole crowd looked at her with their eyes wide open That was pretty embarassing XD ... and I laughed my ass off

I guess cursing can be a real relief sometimes - you just have to watch out not to overdo it or to do it where it's not appropriate.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 01:52   Link #88
User91411
Disabled By Request

I think people should be allowed to say what they want, including swear words. Hell I swear quite often IRL and on the internet.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 07:17   Link #89
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
I think people should be allowed to say what they want, including swear words. Hell I swear quite often IRL and on the internet.
It's not, for example, *i*, who should choose what can possibly annoy/offend/outrage people, so I have to watch my words since *I* care about the other people.

You are allowed to swear and curse, but I think it's more about being well-mannered or not. For example, if you know that you'll have to cook for a bunch of people, and that you are unaware of some of those people tastes, you will not try to cook a dish that is often only liked by a few people, instead you will cook something that is quite popular among most of the people.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 07:25   Link #90
User91411
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
As it was pointed out by some people, it's not, for example, me who should choose what can possibly annoy/offend/outrage people, so I have to watch my words since *I* care about the other people.

You are allowed to swear and curse, but I think it's more about being well-mannered or not. For example, if you know that you'll have to cook for a bunch of people, and that you are unaware of some of those people tastes, you will not try to cook a dish that is often only liked by a few people, instead you will cook something that is quite popular among most of the people.
Yeah, I get ya, but I do keep my language down in social areas where I'd look like an idiot for my foul mouth, and in front of my mother and sister. But when they're not around...FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 07:47   Link #91
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Personally, I rarely use swearing as a means for attacking someone.
Rather, I use it to make comic relief of some situations espescially at the workplace. I swear with a smile.

For example:

Scene 1:

It's raining hard outside, then a patient walks in with muddy shoes.
Footprints all over the white floor of the clinic...

After patient leaves.

Me: Serious shi-!!, someone go get the blue mop and clean up the mess please.

Scene 2:

An unbehaved kid plays in front of the mirror by blowing saliva on it and writing his name (disgusting >_<!!).

After patient leaves.

Me: Damn that kid!

*gets a clean wiper from the supply drawer and a bottle of ethyl alcohol to wipe the mirror clean

Yes, I'm a neat freak.
If the other staff are busy, I will clean things myself. xD

Of course, I NEVER swear if there are patients still around.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-06-16 at 17:17.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 12:21   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
Yeah, I get ya, but I do keep my language down in social areas where I'd look like an idiot for my foul mouth, and in front of my mother and sister. But when they're not around...FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
heh... I'll just say this -- no matter where you go, there's a fair chance SOMEONE that knows you might be watching you and word gets back

I'm always struck by how often I encounter people I know in strange cities, airports, parks, festivals... once I was climbing a ladder in the Native ruins of Mesa Verde and encountered the mother of one of my high school chums at top.

But yeah.... adjusting your speech somewhat to fit in with the group you're with is just good social tactics.
Old 2009-06-17, 20:22   Link #93
prometheus126
king of the fire

Location: The land of tourist traps, old people and oranges. oh! and also spaceships!!
I curse like a sailor and don't care what people think about my mouth. It's my mouth and I'll decide what comes out of it.
prometheus126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 20:28   Link #94
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus126 View Post
I curse like a sailor and don't care what people think about my mouth. It's my mouth and I'll decide what comes out of it.
So you do it whenever you want, in front of anyone?

You might change your mind if you ever work for a company who doesn't allow that kind of behaviors at work, or you will change job
Old 2009-06-17, 20:34   Link #95
prometheus126
king of the fire

Location: The land of tourist traps, old people and oranges. oh! and also spaceships!!
Quote:
So you do it whenever you want, in front of anyone?

You might change your mind if you ever work for a company who doesn't allow that kind of behaviors at work, or you will change job
Funnily enough, I act as barney at the barney show sometimes so of course I don't curse at work or performing (unless it's in the script.) but off stage or backstage or in my personal life, It's all good.
prometheus126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 21:16   Link #96
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Funnily enough, I act as barney at the barney show sometimes so of course I don't curse at work or performing (unless it's in the script.) but off stage or backstage or in my personal life, It's all good.
Be more precise next time then :3

Old 2009-06-17, 21:17   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Aye, and then other people will decide if they want to be around you or not. Communication is a two-way street
Old 2009-06-17, 21:24   Link #98
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, and then other people will decide if they want to be around you or not. Communication is a two-way street
It might be far-fetched, but it's the same about smokers. Those who don't care about the ones who dislike smoke will not befriend any non-smokers, while those non-smokers could be really nice people (beside the fact that they dislike smoke).

We rarely meet people who shares exactly the same opinions/passions/hobbies/etc as ourself. So many people do some compromises.
Old 2009-06-17, 21:30   Link #99
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
It might be far-fetched, but it's the same about smokers. Those who don't care about the ones who dislike smoke will not befriend any non-smokers, while those non-smokers could be really nice people (beside the fact that they dislike smoke).

We rarely meet people who shares exactly the same opinions/passions/hobbies/etc as ourself. So many people do some compromises.
I agree, i personally detest smoking because it hurts both the smoker and those around him/her...so i actively try to help my friends who do smoke and remind them that there are other forms/ways to relieve stress.

Some of my best friends smoke, and they're great people, despite the fact that i hate people who smoke...well i guess i hate the "smoke" more than i do the people. But it certainly does "turn me off" from really interacting with a smoker upon first meeting.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 21:38   Link #100
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I agree, i personally detest smoking because it hurts both the smoker and those around him/her...so i actively try to help my friends who do smoke and remind them that there are other forms/ways to relieve stress.
Erh, that's not what i said

Quote:
Some of my best friends smoke, and they're great people, despite the fact that i hate people who smoke...well i guess i hate the "smoke" more than i do the people. But it certainly does "turn me off" from really interacting with a smoker upon first meeting.
If the person doesn't smoke in front of you, because he respects you, then it's enough to think about befriending him/her.