AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2007-08-13, 02:45   Link #201
Reinhard

Having watched Higurashi Season One one episode at a time as they were released, I decided this time to be a little more patient, wait till I had each arc/chapter downloaded, and watch it as a chunk. That said, I need to find out how many episodes are in each arc without getting any spoilers. So I figured I'd ask here.

So... how many episodes will there be in each of the arcs? If you don't know for all of them, then at least can you tell me how many were/are in the first arc?

Anyhow, thanks
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 02:47   Link #202
Reinhard

Chiibi;

Long story short, if you don't like blood, gore, horror, murder, and dismemberment, then Higurashi/Higurashi Kai is probably a poor choice of anime for you.
Old 2007-08-13, 03:09   Link #203
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Chiibi;

Long story short, if you don't like blood, gore, horror, murder, and dismemberment, then Higurashi/Higurashi Kai is probably a poor choice of anime for you.
I agree with Reinhard. It sounds like you should try reading the manga instead of the anime; so you can 'skip' the gorey parts. But Higurashi in general just has that kind of aura about it: someone/something goes insane and takes it out on friends/familiars/etc in the form of a massacre.
Old 2007-08-13, 03:12   Link #204
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
x もちをかえり (MOCHI WO KAERI)
o お持ちかえりぃ♪ (OMOCHI KAERIi [musical note])
Thanks for clarifying. :]
Old 2007-08-13, 03:29   Link #205
Reinhard

SSJiffy;

"Omochikaeri desu ka?" is the way they'd ask you, in a fast food place in Japan, wether you'd like that to go. So, though I haven't seen the episode in question yet, my guess is that Rena is saying: "I'll take you to go!" in a way that has a hint of "You're so cute I could just to take you home and eat you up".
Old 2007-08-13, 04:28   Link #206
MarthX

Quote:
Having watched Higurashi Season One one episode at a time as they were released, I decided this time to be a little more patient, wait till I had each arc/chapter downloaded, and watch it as a chunk. That said, I need to find out how many episodes are in each arc without getting any spoilers. So I figured I'd ask here.

So... how many episodes will there be in each of the arcs? If you don't know for all of them, then at least can you tell me how many were/are in the first arc?

Anyhow, thanks
First episode is stand alone. It's the epilogue to the last season's arc, Tsumihoroboshi.

Yakusamashi: 2-5

Minagoroshi: 6-13

Mastsuribayashi: 14-24

Last edited by MarthX; 2007-09-12 at 19:09.
MarthX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 04:34   Link #207
Reinhard

Which one was Tsumihoroboshi again? The last one?
Old 2007-08-13, 04:48   Link #208
MarthX

Quote:
Which one was Tsumihoroboshi again? The last one?
That's right.
MarthX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 09:57   Link #209
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Chiibi;

Lol I know I know. I was waiting for someone to say that. But unfortunately, this anime won't leave me alone....it intrigues me as much as it horrifies me. So part of me wants to watch it and part of me doesn't and they're like...arguing with each other.

In short, Higurashi HAUNTS me and that is creepy in itself!!
Old 2007-08-13, 10:37   Link #210
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

huh? actually, it isn't exactly that anyway.
you could always try to skip onikakushi (first 4 episodes).

but truely enough, the creepiest "scariest" part of the anime is only the first chapter, that's it. (in some extent, maybe Watanagashi-hen, chapter 2, but it is much more "insane" based rather than creepy)
if you just can stand the first chapter, then you shouldn't have any problem with the rest.

but if you are THAT scared cat, i'm just wondering how you could stand elfen lied then.
I repeat : the gore you can see in higurashi is extremely "soft" compared to elfen lied. everything is much more psychological, though really, it is gradually toned down the more you follow the series. so, being afraid to see "innards" and fancy stuff won't do, since you won't see anything of that sort (well, at the very best, 2 shots, nothing more)

ah and before you still think it is really horrifying, the "scary" and gore part worth only at most 20-30% of the whole season 1.

as for season 2, no, no way you can classify as creepy and/or gory. and again, it doesn't make sense to watch it prior season 1.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-08-13 at 10:53.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 13:11   Link #211
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Sure there is. =D Who said there has to be a point to watch something?
That's analogous to viewing Star Wars Episode 6 without watching 4 and 5.

Other examples include:
Watching Evangelion The Movie without watching Ep. 1-26 of Evangelion TV series (even though one still doesn't get it then www)
Gunbuster 2 before watching Gunbuster 1 (you won't understand the ending)
Alien 3 before Aliens and Alien
Terminator 2 before Terminator
Godfather Pt. III before Pt. II and Pt. I (though I believe you can skip III altogether because that was utter crap)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 22:35   Link #212
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
but if you are THAT scared cat, i'm just wondering how you could stand elfen lied then.
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure either. I guess I just got used to it...and it wasn't as freaky...because you DID know what was going on for the most part.
At first it was like "EW! Must cover eyes!" but by the sixth episode it was like "Oh...look at the fountain of blood shooting from the policeman's neck....LOL!"

I may attempt to watch Higu again...the only big problem is, it takes away my appetite and I am too underweight...
I s'pose I could just cover my eyes....
Old 2007-08-14, 01:31   Link #213
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Well, there are some cringe worthy scenes scattered out through the episodes, but they are not frequent and gets lesser towards the end.

Spoiler for Cringe worthy scenes IMO:
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 02:43   Link #214
chrno_the_sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
That's analogous to viewing Star Wars Episode 6 without watching 4 and 5.

Terminator 2 before Terminator
I did that.... Still haven't seen more than 20 minutes of the first Terminator.

Still, Higurashi builds off itself so much. The second season isn't so much a new series as much as it is a direct continuation.
chrno_the_sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 12:13   Link #215
Kryptik

The real big thing between Elfen Lied and Higurashi's level of violence and blood is that Elfen Lied, out of a few moments, the bloody spectacles really don't mean much other than to show that Lucy is cold killer. Aside from the first episode, and the bit with the dog, you kind of get desensitized because it just doesn't become shocking anymore.

Higurashi, the deaths mean something, and they're built upon with suspense. Each event is lead into with weight, making them happen with greater impact, making them all the more shocking. Not to mention that the setting helps, considering the idyllic village and the ages of the main characters.
Kryptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 06:41   Link #216
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I have a very basic question about Higurashi I + II. I haven't seen it yet because as much as I gathered Higurashi I alone is an unfinished work and because I was scared away by the effort it apparently takes to understand it. Higurashi II will conclude the story(s) if I got that right so that settles the first problem.

What remains is the second one: Is the show penetrable and enjoyable for a moderately intelligent, moderately attentive person who just watches the show? Or are all the hints and FAQs actually necessary to not leave you with merely a string of "What?" "Huh?" "Eh?" and "WTF?" moments?

Mind you, I'm not expecting the interlectual level of Coyote Ragtime here. My question simply is: Is the show (both seasons) understandable as a standalone work or not? Should I watch it or spend my precious time on other anime?
Old 2007-08-20, 06:53   Link #217
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
What remains is the second one: Is the show penetrable and enjoyable for a moderately intelligent, moderately attentive person who just watches the show? Or are all the hints and FAQs actually necessary to not leave you with merely a string of "What?" "Huh?" "Eh?" and "WTF?" moments?

Mind you, I'm not expecting the interlectual level of Coyote Ragtime here. My question simply is: Is the show (both seasons) understandable as a standalone work or not? Should I watch it or spend my precious time on other anime?
While the first season lacked of various points, the second season proved to be quite insightful so far. The first chapter of the second season helps to cover some points skipped in the first season and is a nice bridge between the first season and the "true" second season.

For the relative enjoyement of the series themselves, it depends of your tastes. I believe you just have to fetch some "non spoiler" information for the "structure" and development of the said story. Aside of this, you can follow this anime without any problem or required aid.
Mind you, I believe it is quite a waste to not consult the translated informations on AS. (at least TIPS are really a good plus, and not spoiler at all)

Granted, again, considering how successful the season is so far, you can definitely give the whole series a try, as long as you are enjoying psychological thriller, drama, wrapped with some touch of moe and comedy. (fear not the contrast isn't half assed or uncalled for)
Old 2007-08-20, 13:55   Link #218
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Sure there is. =D Who said there has to be a point to watch something?

Specifically, I don't really like to see people's organs hanging out of their bodies or a cute little girl stabbing herself in the head...or a bishounen clawing out his throat...yeah....stuff like that... That's why I didn't want to watch "-koro ni" Corpses lying in blood pools don't bug me that much but...innards...are EW.
What you just explained is most of the gore that happens in the first season. There's only two other scenes I can think of. And you'd be missing out on the majority of the story, which is really important in Kai.
GyroidFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 04:51   Link #219
haiz123321
Obey me world!

I wanna know sth...

If lets say that in each world, rika presents the ohagi to keiichi, will kei remember the part about the needle? Or was is by "coincindence' again? It seems to much of a "coincindence" that 3 people remember the past

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
haiz123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 05:01   Link #220
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Considering the comments of Rika about Keiichi's memories, it is more like a coincidence, or rather "miracle".
Before Tsumihoroboshi-hen, which is supposed to happen just before Minagoroshi-hen, no one has ever remember of the "past", or rather the other worlds.

thus, the answer is kinda a "no", if we consider the timeline of the story.
but as you can see, the more Rika "loop", the more the others actors can have stealth glimpses of the previous events, even unconsciously. but the rate and information are extremely low.