AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-09-09, 03:37   Link #41
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

The only place outside of Mexico I have ever travelled to is the US.

Wouldn't mind checking other places like Australia and such.
Old 2009-09-09, 04:33   Link #42
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Venice first of all. Of course I'd probably be disappointed that the real thing doesn't live up to Neo-Venicia, but I'd still like to see it.
I've been in Venice, since it's just 2 hours of train from my place. Let me tell it's actually wonderful, I mean you don't get to see such views that often. My favourite attractions must be the Bridge of Sighs, although there's admittedly plenty. I even visited "La Fenice" theatre from outside when it had just burnt. (1996 or 97 I guess). Of course now they've rebuilt it and it's all another thing.

A few inconveniences:

- There are a lot of very tight allies (the "calli") whereas the air stinks. I think it's just to due the city's constitution and connected to the sewage system. Since those are almost closed spaces, the air is very slow in going up, hence the bad smell.
- If possible, avoid "high season" periods, because there'd be so much tourists you'd even have problem to stand up (especially in S.Marco's Square). I usually go there in April or May, when the temperature is already good, and not much tourists yet.
- Bring supplies (food and drinks) from outside if possible. Prices are obscene (like 5 euros for a water glass).
- Remember there are indeed gondoliers, but not Undine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
I've always thought of Venice as more of a romantic city, and I don't know how well that would work seeing as I would probably be travelling alone.
Personally I agree. It's a very romantic city and I'd never go there alone. Of course going there with a (girl) friend would be ideal, but if not possible at least have someone. Romanticism-aside, it's one of those kind of experiences you can't do alone, you need at least another person with you to share and discuss the emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
- Italy (You talked about Venise, but cities like Florence are great too.
Good call, Italy often is associated to Rome and Venice but, especially if you're into arts, Florence can't be missed. It's a wonderful city, it was the head city of Renaissance in Italy, and the best artists flowed in there leaving their mark. The good thing is that almost everything is still there. I'd say that Rome aside - which can't be compared because of its historical weight - Florence is the italian city with the highest concentration of artistic manufactures (being them buildings or churches, sculptures or paintings) left.
Old 2009-09-09, 07:14   Link #43
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
I heard the food is bad/expensive and the people have crappy manners.
There are some bad restaurants, but also a lot of excellent ones. On the whole, French cuisine is good and famous. Not only in restaurants, but also a lot of "normal" people know how to cook (but I admit the young generations like girls my age are less interested)

For the crappy manners, like other people said, you'll find some jerks in every countries. Now there are also nice people in France

Last edited by Narona; 2010-02-09 at 09:14.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 09:24   Link #44
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I've been in Venice, since it's just 2 hours of train from my place. Let me tell it's actually wonderful, I mean you don't get to see such views that often. My favourite attractions must be the Bridge of Sighs, although there's admittedly plenty. I even visited "La Fenice" theatre from outside when it had just burnt. (1996 or 97 I guess). Of course now they've rebuilt it and it's all another thing.
Must be nice to live so close to so much historic architecture.

Quote:
A few inconveniences:

- There are a lot of very tight allies (the "calli") whereas the air stinks. I think it's just to due the city's constitution and connected to the sewage system. Since those are almost closed spaces, the air is very slow in going up, hence the bad smell.
Yeah, this is the main thing I was talking about when I said the real thing couldn't live up to neo-Venicia.

Quote:
- If possible, avoid "high season" periods, because there'd be so much tourists you'd even have problem to stand up (especially in S.Marco's Square). I usually go there in April or May, when the temperature is already good, and not much tourists yet.
- Bring supplies (food and drinks) from outside if possible. Prices are obscene (like 5 euros for a water glass).
Those two are expected for any popular tourist area. Still, 5 euros for a glass of water?

Quote:
And that'd be my second reason. Still, when and if I get married, I'll try my hardest to convince whoever it is to go there for our honeymoon. I doubt it'll be hard to convince a girl of that though, unless money is a major issue. Explaining why I want to take a picture of the coast from one particular location that doesn't really have much around it on the other hand... I'm not sure "But that's the view from Aria Company" is going to make much sense unless she's also a fan.
Old 2009-09-09, 11:46   Link #45
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Italy, huh?
Well... it's just too bad that UK isn't a Schengen country, and even if it was, my BN(O) passport's not getting me anywhere.

Damn. And to compound matters, it's a diplomatic tangle as my parents worked in the British High Commission in Singapore, HK and US (and now, Japan) so I have both BN(O) and US passports, been to Singapore, lived in Japan, yet. I don't remember having a proper citizenship.

In any case, I use the BN(O) more often. It's "jumbo" size (though the Singapore ones are WAY THICKER! - this isn't even biometric, in case any Singaporean wants to come after me for that!)

Well, so visiting Italy could be a little far-fetched for me. Surprisingly for a internationalized person like myself, I have a part-time job, but live with parents. Or relatives.

That's why I liked playing Persona4. I can understand the main character well.

Hey that's offtopic.

For me, I'd say, maybe a random anime pilgrimage. Lasting 14 days. But I lack time.

EDIT: BN(O) qualifies for Schenegen. But not US' visa waiver...

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-09-09 at 12:03.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 16:56   Link #46
JMvS
Rawrrr!

If your passport allows you to freely travel within Schengen, try Switzerland!

A country packed with world heritage sites, charming cities, beautiful landscapes, ski resorts. Also a country where you can experience the popular germanic, french and italian cultures.
You can either go across the whole country in less then a day, or spend months exploring it.
Old 2009-09-09, 23:47   Link #47
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
If your passport allows you to freely travel within Schengen, try Switzerland!

A country packed with world heritage sites, charming cities, beautiful landscapes, ski resorts. Also a country where you can experience the popular germanic, french and italian cultures.
You can either go across the whole country in less then a day, or spend months exploring it.
Well, families of diplomats have been there at least there once, and mine's no exception.

In fact, I'd recommend Germany. Where speeding can be perfectly LEGAL.
Old 2009-09-10, 04:10   Link #48
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Well, families of diplomats have been there at least there once, and mine's no exception.

In fact, I'd recommend Germany. Where speeding can be perfectly LEGAL.
Well Geneva doesn't count: It's Geneva (those guys are differents I swear!).
Old 2009-09-10, 05:59   Link #49
AnimeFangirl

I've been wanting to go to Hong Kong for a while. Also Singapore but I hear they hang people there so umm... But I have a good friend there I'd love to visit. Everywhere else I've either been to or don't want to go.
Old 2009-09-10, 21:37   Link #50
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well Geneva doesn't count: It's Geneva (those guys are differents I swear!).
Yeah. The taxis have a high refusal rate for infant-in-arms...

But, I've been to Zurich too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I've been wanting to go to Hong Kong for a while. Also Singapore but I hear they hang people there so umm... But I have a good friend there I'd love to visit. Everywhere else I've either been to or don't want to go.
First, arm yourself with cash. Seriously.

And, they only hang for either drugs or murder. So, leave all sharp objects and medication at home. ESPECIALLY COUGH SYRUP. I ALMOST got into trouble with the K9 unit at Changi once. FOR COUGH SYRUP. And the patrol guard are not policemen, it's the MILITARY POLICE, dammit. The Interior Minister there (Wong Kan Seng) must have been spooked by Mas Selamat.

EDIT: Hey, I'm in Singapore, in transit. Seems they aren't half as paranoid now. It's normal police and cough syrup is OK again, as long as I've got a doc's note. They must have read my feedback form.

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-09-11 at 03:35.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 06:54   Link #51
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Your travel wishes

So I couldn't find any thread to do with this. If there is, sue me.

As there's quite a few people from all over the world around here, mostly yanks but with a healthy interaction of europeans, a few asians and orientals, what have you, I'm wondering if there's anyone around here who's actually been around some places in the world and share some experiences, or just talk about places you'd like to visit

As for me, I've been in Italy, the US, Spain, Austria, Saudi Arabia, France and now living in the UK and will probably be here for another long while. I'd really like to visit Japan _obviously_ as well as Russia even.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 07:08   Link #52
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
So I couldn't find any thread to do with this. If there is, sue me.
You shall be sent to jail then

Anyway, the usual advertising from me, think about visiting Slovakia~~
Old 2009-10-24, 10:10   Link #53
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
You shall be sent to jail then
=(

Apparently, I have distant relatives in Slovakia, tho I've never actually met them.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 10:11   Link #54
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
=(

Apparently, I have distant relatives in Slovakia, tho I've never actually met them.
Whatever, just visit it at least once in your life. *Proud of her country*
Old 2009-10-30, 01:58   Link #55
chipi

i wish 2 travel 2
japan ,Spain , Australia and Egypt
it's an interesting countries
chipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 09:39   Link #56
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Why you must go to France :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=722522

Old 2009-11-15, 10:33   Link #57
silencer.001
In a mobile suit behind u

Well, right now I am living in South Africa ^_^ but have traveled to practically everywhere that I want to go to..

Like Dubai, Qatar, Spain, France (multiple times I might add), Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Bahrain, and was born and raised in Scotland

So really, the only places that I want to travel to right now is Asia, Japan and China specifically for the History more than anything. US to see what all the fuss is and yeah, that is about it right now :?

Oh, and more of South Africa, I love this country ^_^
Old 2009-11-15, 12:19   Link #58
Haladflire65
*Artist

I've been to Korea, Canada, the U.S. and Japan... I'd like to visit Europe for sure, and also, Thailand. And I want to go to the Arctic and see the aurora before everything melts down...
Old 2009-11-15, 17:00   Link #59
LeoXiao
思想工作

I want to go to Russia again. That was awesome.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 17:38   Link #60
xKeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Awww,Just when I had my hopes up Anyway,I want to go to dubai because of : Discovery channel and comments from people.The buildings look great there...

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote