AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-02-15, 13:36   Link #2041
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I highly doubt this will ever rise to the top and base off early results, there's no way you can say that it would. The series has gotten better, but there's still much better out there.
Old 2010-02-15, 14:19   Link #2042
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I highly doubt this will stay on the bottom forever and base off early results, there's no way you can say that it will. The series has gotten better, and will continue to do so.

Anyway, when I think of things like Naruto and Bleach being near the top, it's hard for me not to see this having a legitimate shot at rising through the ranks. I know Bleach is riding off the popularity of the SS arc and all the characters it has. I'm sure Medaka will be able to pull off at least one arc as entrancing as Bleach's SS arc, and it looks like we'll definitely have lots of characters to fall in love with after awhile.

I'm obviously being optimistic, but between expecting Bleach or Naruto to turn around, or Medaka to get more popular, I think it's more reasonable to assume the latter will happen before the former.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 22:26   Link #2043
aahhsin

Just because it's at the bottom of the rankings doesn't mean it'll get canceled.

It could suffer from To-Love Ru symptoms. People that vote never put it anywhere near the top and it stays on the bottom. But when the volumes sells, it sells tons.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 22:58   Link #2044
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
Just because it's at the bottom of the rankings doesn't mean it'll get canceled.

It could suffer from To-Love Ru symptoms. People that vote never put it anywhere near the top and it stays on the bottom. But when the volumes sells, it sells tons.
That's what I'm expecting myself, though it's not the ecchi that will sell volumes. Instead, it's more for light reading and wacky characters... plus the author's name that will get it sales.

Right now, I just want to see if Zen being put in the spotlight will raise the rankings at all or if people just don't care either way anymore, as the obvious focus on Medaka vs. the Bad Guy isn't doing it for people.
Old 2010-02-16, 00:51   Link #2045
Xion Valkyrie

Hmm, one thing I don't like about the art is the eyelashes on Zen and Akune. It makes them look like they have really heavy eyelashes, which you usually get on girls or effeminate guys, and doesn't fit with their body/face types at all.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 03:39   Link #2046
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

I'm kinda reading it again. The series became decent. o_O It still isn't what I'm expecting from, but it's enough not to make me rage. o_o
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 08:11   Link #2047
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post

Or it could be like Ane-Doki - volumes sell well and it still gets cancelled because of low rankings.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 10:22   Link #2048
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

You mean the series they canceled without even waiting to see how the volumes sell? Seriously, if people want to keep bringing that up they should blame Hunter x Hunter for killing it right when vol. 1 was releasing.

Sales can not factor into a decision that has already been made.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 18:48   Link #2049
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
You mean the series they canceled without even waiting to see how the volumes sell? Seriously, if people want to keep bringing that up they should blame Hunter x Hunter for killing it right when vol. 1 was releasing.

Sales can not factor into a decision that has already been made.
It just shows that sales do not pay such big role as many of us seemed to think. Because they choose to cancel it even without sales number (which proved to be rather good).

To Love-Ru example shows that the sales play bigger part in manga surviving while at the same time example with Ane-Doki denies that.
Old 2010-02-16, 19:11   Link #2050
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

There's a difference between TLR, Ane Doki, and Medaka. TLR is ecchi, very ecchi. It's probably one of the most ecchi mangas around when it was still being produced. The ecchi factor being so large, Jump understood people would be embarrassed to vote for it. You can't really say that about Ane Doki or Medaka. Both series started being a little ecchi, but quickly lost that aspect. It's fine with Medaka, because no one really cares about seeing that exhibitionist half-naked, but Ane Doki was a series that really needed that ecchi push to survive, and gave it up. I don't know why, but no one seems to point out that Ane Doki was a pretty crappy manga. I enjoyed it just as much as the next person, probably, but I can't say I even remotely cared that it ended. The plot and characters weren't going anywhere, and I'm glad something better can replace it. Medaka, on the other hand, had potential from the start, and is going to get better the longer it stays around. Ane Doki would have only gotten worse.

tl;dr
Ane Doki and Medaka aren't TLR.
Ane Doki sucked.
Medaka will definitely improve.
Get over it already.
Old 2010-02-16, 21:05   Link #2051
Darknemo2000

Lol all that is just groundless opinion of fanboy trying to present it as an argument.

You cant really say that it will improve, it may go down to the rock bottom again, there is no such thing as definite when we talk about future and some people liked Ane-Doki, yes it was voted down but so is Medaka. For your info it is still in the bottom 5 after all.

The bigger difference is that Medaka Box seems to have Nishio's name protecting it rather than any other reasons.
Old 2010-02-16, 21:49   Link #2052
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It just shows that sales do not pay such big role as many of us seemed to think. Because they choose to cancel it even without sales number (which proved to be rather good).

To Love-Ru example shows that the sales play bigger part in manga surviving while at the same time example with Ane-Doki denies that.
Explain to me how sales can play ANY kind of role when there were NO FIGURES for them to look at when they made the decision?

The issue Hunter x Hunter literally returns in is the issue before Ane-doki had its final chapter. That chapter would have had to have been decided on 4-6 weeks before that issue. That same time period is right when the volume was about to be released.

They would have had no clue that this series could do 100K until literally 3 weeks after they made their decision and they set several weeks chapters of the magazine in motion and ready for print.

If they had those numbers to work with beforehand they would not have made that decision. Clearly they underestimated Ane-Doki's potential, did not expect it to sell as well as it did(they probably weren't even expecting it to chart), and they got bitten in the ass for it. Not to mention that Ane-doki was already tanking and showing no signs of improvement even in bottom 5 rankings, which is not the case for Medaka. They get early results for where a series ranks in the magazine. Not hard for them to figure out where Ane was falling if it was already last in those too.

Ample reasons have been given for why Ane-doki's sales can not be used as an argument against this series. Medaka Box already has enough sales data behind it to justify keeping it around over the other series in the bottom 5. Or did you just miss how a series that never got below 4th from last got canceled while Medaka Box was lower than it a handful of times? There is already a precedent for this in the ranking archives of recent years.

There are already recent Jump examples of Nurarihyon no Mago and To Love Ru surviving in the bottom 5 for long amounts of times while other series got canceled. You think it is just a coincidence those series also happened to have high tank sales in comparison to everything else that was in that bracket with them?

Last edited by Rejuvenation; 2010-02-16 at 22:00.
Old 2010-02-16, 22:03   Link #2053
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Lol all that is just groundless opinion of fanboy trying to present it as an argument.

You cant really say that it will improve, it may go down to the rock bottom again, there is no such thing as definite when we talk about future and some people liked Ane-Doki, yes it was voted down but so is Medaka. For your info it is still in the bottom 5 after all.

The bigger difference is that Medaka Box seems to have Nishio's name protecting it rather than any other reasons.
Groundless? Lolwut?

I assume you're only talking about Medaka improving being opinion, so let's run with that.

I can't say for sure that it'll improve, just like no one in this thread could accurately predict it being canceled, because I'm not psychic and don't know the future. I can say, however, that in all likelihood it will improve. This isn't just me wanting it to get better, especially when you consider the fact that I never had a problem with it to begin with. I was perfectly happy with how it was the first 15 or so chapters, and beyond. This is a guess anyone could easily make, and should assume when you consider the author of the story.

This isn't a debut manga by a new mangaka, it's a first effort by an experienced and established author. Light novels are different than manga, yes, but writing is writing, and he'll get the hang of it eventually.

When you compare it to Ane Doki, a story written by an author that is known to have crappy stories, and eventually mess things up more often than not, it's not hard to see why Ane Doki was cut over Medaka Box.

You also can't mention Medaka's author as if Ane Doki doesn't have one. They both have authors, but one's name has clout and the other doesn't. That isn't dumb luck, you know. It's because one has shown skill in their craft, and the other hasn't. One was in a position to be given a chance, and the other has not only had many chances, but doesn't rise to the occasion when given those chances.
Old 2010-02-16, 22:18   Link #2054
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post

This isn't a debut manga by a new mangaka, it's a first effort by an experienced and established author. Light novels are different than manga, yes, but writing is writing, and he'll get the hang of it eventually.

When you compare it to Ane Doki, a story written by an author that is known to have crappy stories, and eventually mess things up more often than not, it's not hard to see why Ane Doki was cut over Medaka Box.

You also can't mention Medaka's author as if Ane Doki doesn't have one. They both have authors, but one's name has clout and the other doesn't. That isn't dumb luck, you know. It's because one has shown skill in their craft, and the other hasn't. One was in a position to be given a chance, and the other has not only had many chances, but doesn't rise to the occasion when given those chances.
Kawashita gets massively overrated by people for Ichigo 100% which in hindsight, isn't even that great of a series even though it is also her best one from a success standpoint. Hatsukoi got animated mainly off of her name alone and everything else she has churned out isn't even worth mentioning.

It is hard to say this is an author's name protecting this series. If WSJ fully recognized just what Nishio's name as an author meant, they would have done a better job of trying to pimp this in 2009. Hell, people would have been screaming "editor love!" like they did with Toriko a couple years back and like what they currently do with Beelzebub and Kuroko. There are several factors that got it to this point.

I'd say it won out over the likes of most other canceled series fairly by actually succeeding where it counts, which is sales. That and lasting long enough to be measured by its sales. Even if something is made by an author, if people really don't like that particular story they aren't going to be spending their money on it unless it appeals to them in some way. They could just as easily pirate it just like the overseas community does. Hell, the sales are increasing as opposed to Ane-Doki's which are practically stagnant. That says something as well.

Not to mention this series really has the devil's luck. It came in a year where several older hits(DGM, Eyeshield, Neuro, To Love Ru) either moved or were ending which freed up room for it. If people can't see the kind of circumstances that separate this series from both Hatsukoi and Ane-doki(which people love comparing this to), then they are blind.
Old 2010-02-16, 22:31   Link #2055
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
Not to mention this series really has the devil's luck.
Devil's luck? Or conspiracy...after all it was serialized in the same year its one shot came out, not too long after it actually, when compared to others. (I smell another grassy knoll) Such "luck" would certainly surpass any editor love, but I'm just joking around.

Ane doki can't possibly be compared to Medaka Box, we have to just leave it at that since the last few posts have touched upon that already. The fact that it received a Vomic and a colour page despite its current standing is clearly a way to show that it has staying power and that they have some kind of confidence in the series. It's more or less the Sket Dance effect, as Sket Dance was also in low standing for most of its early life, but out lived many of the new series that came out afterward and now has an establish fanbase that is keeping it alive.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2010-02-16 at 22:43.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 22:39   Link #2056
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Speaking of that color page, am I the only one that was extremely disappointed in it? Maybe I'm too used to the epicness of One Piece and Bleach color pages, but this one just seemed so lacking. Hmmm, was it the first one, though? I don't remember any before this. Hopefully they'll get better and be more dynamic.
Old 2010-02-16, 22:43   Link #2057
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Technically it's the third, because the first two chapters have obligatory colour pages. Anyways, the newest colour page would have made a better cover for the tankobon.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 02:57   Link #2058
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Looks like it will live. It's not good and the plot is weak (Flask plan?? ok) but at least it had something I guess. So really you can't compare it to Ane Doki and TLR which pretty much had zero attempt in creating a story. Although I really do miss the latter since there's nothing that can satisfy my guilty pleasure as good as TLR (have Yabuki-sensei to thank for that).
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 03:24   Link #2059
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Groundless? Lolwut?

I assume you're only talking about Medaka improving being opinion, so let's run with that.

I can't say for sure that it'll improve, just like no one in this thread could accurately predict it being canceled, because I'm not psychic and don't know the future. I can say, however, that in all likelihood it will improve. This isn't just me wanting it to get better, especially when you consider the fact that I never had a problem with it to begin with. I was perfectly happy with how it was the first 15 or so chapters, and beyond. This is a guess anyone could easily make, and should assume when you consider the author of the story.

As an manga author Nishio is nothing impressive. Two not particularly popular one-shots and now medaka. You should know that novels and manga are two different spheres and just because you are successful in one (Nishio is currently ranked as the third between light novel authors) doesn't mean you will do it well in the other.

But it seems like bakemonogatari's sucess is good enough to forget anything.

And you can't say that Ane-Doki is a crap because it's sales are high. If it was as bad as you try to portray, surely it would not have such respectable sales.
Old 2010-02-17, 03:36   Link #2060
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post
It's more or less the Sket Dance effect, as Sket Dance was also in low standing for most of its early life, but out lived many of the new series that came out afterward and now has an establish fanbase that is keeping it alive.
And lets not forget that Medaka 3 (72,000) just outsold Sket Dance 12 (70,000). FWIW Sket Dance 11 sold 102,000 but Sket Dance 10 did 78,000.

Quote:
And you can't say that Ane-Doki is a crap because it's sales are high. If it was as bad as you try to portray, surely it would not have such respectable sales.
Bleach has been crap ever since SS ended, yet its the 3rd best selling manga in WSJ.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council