AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-04, 04:08   Link #301
Xenosnake
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If they stated they would censor any of the Monogatari series, go complain to the licensing company till they change their minds. It worked with FUNi when people complained about them wanting to censor Vampire Bund (which also had some stuff in it that might not have flown well with Westerners), so I don't see why this can't happen with others as well. Or just don't buy/watch it if they persist.

As for me, the only question on my mind is: when will this friggin' region block practice die?
Probably never.
Xenosnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 04:23   Link #302
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Bakemonogatari has close to 100k sales, that alone implies that its appeal crosses beyond the 10k otaku domestically. Now given the amount of cultural references and ignoring how lame they will turn out in an american localization, unless one is at least a little familiar with the culture (not necessarily from anime/manga), I also can not see it working.

Save for Hitagi/Koyomi relationship the other stories will be hard to explain, and even Hitagi's background will be incomprehensible without knowing how religion and cults are viewed and treated in Japan.

That's not implying that it can not sell overseas, but in order to do so the content must radically change to a degree that it won't be Bakemonogatari, but a show using its animation and adapting its dialogues. Similar attempts were done before for J-horror, as well as Mexican and Spanish films, with commercial success, but very questionable artistic results.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 04:25   Link #303
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
As for me, the only question on my mind is: when will this friggin' region block practice die?
There's probably little we can do about the streaming blocks, unless you want one huge company to dominate across the world, which probably isn't particularly good for consumers...

As for the DVDs/BDs, I was going to say that, if they follow what they did with Bakemonogatari, the Nise BDs will be region free too...

But when I look on amazon now, they say that they're region A.

Then again, that's what amazon says for the studio Ghibli Blu-rays too, and AFAIK, those are region free...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 04:38   Link #304
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
What I'm trying to get at here is that since the show is being licensed, what does that say about the content? Is "certain" scenes going to be censored or outright not animated? Only time will tell but I have a really bad feeling about this.
It's not like even in Japan there aren't regulations. Nisio stated books are less regulated than anime, so that's why he could get away with that stuff, but nevertheless there is some limit to what you can show in television. Shaft will have to resort to their usual tricks. With Kizu they will probably have more free hand because it is a movie, which is already less regulated than a TV series.

And I don't think Shaft mind their shows being licensed abroad in any way. There are plenty of fanservice shows that already made their way on the American market, after all (I see the aforementioned Queen's Blade was licensed, for example).
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Bakemonogatari has close to 100k sales, that alone implies that its appeal crosses beyond the 10k otaku domestically. Now given the amount of cultural references
You may not get a joke, but you still can get the story. And even if you don't get the joke the images may be amusing. You are overplaying this.
Quote:
Save for Hitagi/Koyomi relationship the other stories will be hard to explain, and even Hitagi's background will be incomprehensible without knowing how religion and cults are viewed and treated in Japan.
Sorry, but cults that con people are everywhere. I mean, IIRC there was even an episode of the Simpsons where Homer enters a sect. There is nothing uniquely Japanese in that.

I see no problem with the other stories as well.

Last edited by Shikijin; 2012-01-04 at 04:50.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 06:50   Link #305
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As I alluded to before, I think some people are being way too paranoid about the potential foibles of licensing and releasing this show. The show is renowned enough in fan circles that they can just keep it exactly as is; it's not so Japanese that foreign audiences can't understand it, or else at least half the people talking in this thread would have not understood the show either. The amount of anime that have been altered to be released in International markets these days are extremely minimal. And thoughts that they'd alter the anime in Japan in order to keep international audience in mind are again just paranoid, especially given how small the international market is compared to the domestic one.

Anyway, this is a Nisemonogatari thread, and so far the only thing they've announced is that the show will be simulcast. If you don't like the fact that it'll be simulcast, you can just ignore it. They're not going to ruin the show just virtue of being there; the show will still exist. If the show gets a full license, we can create a new thread and discuss it again in there, but for now let's just stick to the actual show in question.
Old 2012-01-04, 10:09   Link #306
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Two days.....
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 12:56   Link #307
sa547
*Author

^
Dang, she's so sweet and rosy right there.

I wouldn't mind about the licensing or whatever, I still look forward to this show.
Old 2012-01-04, 15:56   Link #308
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think you're severely over-playing both a) the "uniquely Japanese appeal" of the show (the franchise is quite popular here on this English anime forum, no less -- who do you think the target audience is if not anime fans?), and b) the extent of the "localization" you think either Crunchyroll or a home media licensor would have to do to make it palatable (and the perception that whatever translation you did see was somehow not being "localized", or was more "pure").

Aniplex has said in the past that licensing negotiations for Bakemonogatari were on-going, and the fact that Nisemonogatari is streaming is likely a good sign. I don't think there's any particular reason why it wouldn't be released in some form (whether it's the form people want notwithstanding).
Well I don't consider it more "pure" but CR does have a really hard tendency to over-localize which I said before I'm OK with even if I'm not a fan of some of their decisions. And yes, I am fully aware Bakemonogatari has a large following amongst the more "experienced" anime watchers outside of Japan but even that doesn't make the show much easier to follow since it does rely quite a bit on culture-specific jokes and plays with the Japanese language.

I will however concede that I may be overly negative in analyzing the marketability of Bakemonogatari outside Japan since I've been know to be overly negative before.
Old 2012-01-04, 17:11   Link #309
Candyshark

I knew this hairstyle may suit her evn better than old one.

On localization subject to be honest Bake is so dialog-heavy part of me wished rather hear it in dub than constantly pause to read subs. As long general idea of joke, pun, gist is conveyed. I don't really need to get every minor detail across.

So tomorrow sister's image.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 10:00   Link #310
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

One day....
Old 2012-01-05, 14:10   Link #311
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

http://www.nisemonogatari-anime.com/...ndex.html#n023

On Saturday we are getting 6 different CMs leading up to the premiere. Starting from as early as 6:00am.
Old 2012-01-05, 14:40   Link #312
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Holy shit. And awww, Shinobu. :3
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 22:31   Link #313
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
http://www.nisemonogatari-anime.com/...ndex.html#n023

On Saturday we are getting 6 different CMs leading up to the premiere. Starting from as early as 6:00am.
Maybe we'll actually get a glimpse at Shinobu this time.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 03:03   Link #314
zato_1one

WOW! Tsubasa is surprisingly cute in that pic. She should use that hairstyle from the start.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:10   Link #315
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Those images...I just died and went to heaven's heaven.

P.S. Senjougahara wins by far for me in that collection of wallpapers.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-01-06 at 03:56.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 03:53   Link #316
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
WOW! Tsubasa is surprisingly cute in that pic. She should use that hairstyle from the start.
She couldn't There was the nekomata motif, so two braids to symbolize a cat with two tails.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 04:01   Link #317
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post

The timid bookworm look (glasses + twin braids) fitted her personality perfectly, before the cat took over (and she look changed accordingly). Now that she is free from both, she can reflect it in her appearance.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 05:37   Link #318
Pacify

Dang only one day to go already! Jeez, that so awesome
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 05:56   Link #319
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
Dang only one day to go already! Jeez, that so awesome
Yeah, this is gonna be the greatest thing ever.
Old 2012-01-06, 06:17   Link #320
Xical
Phantom User

I´m the only one who think there is something strange in those images?
Xical is offline   Reply With Quote