AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-12, 22:16   Link #101
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Was this show always this good? People treating each other well is always great to see. And so is averting disaster. As others have said, the headman crying and the mushi flying were both good scenes. But I also particularly liked the scene when the headman came to the door and stood outside the door-curtain asking the fisherman and his daughter to come back. I also liked how economically and effectively they placed and revealed the pearl.

I only watched a few episodes of the first series, and they never really reached me. Ginko still doesn't do that much for me, except maintain the quiet, solid mood. I guess that's something.

In any case, these first two eps have been excellent.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 22:47   Link #102
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Was this show always this good? People treating each other well is always great to see. And so is averting disaster. As others have said, the headman crying and the mushi flying were both good scenes. But I also particularly liked the scene when the headman came to the door and stood outside the door-curtain asking the fisherman and his daughter to come back. I also liked how economically and effectively they placed and revealed the pearl.

I only watched a few episodes of the first series, and they never really reached me. Ginko still doesn't do that much for me, except maintain the quiet, solid mood. I guess that's something.

Go back and give the original series another chance, if you have the time. I watched the first couple of episodes ages ago and it didn't catch on with me for whatever reason, but I went back a few years ago and it blew me away how good the series is. I still think the first three-four episodes of the original series are fantastic in retrospect, but if it isn't clicking for you, stick it out. These last two episodes of the new season are the standard quality level from the first season, and there are a handful of truly exceptional episodes that are even better than this. It's one of the best anime I've ever seen.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 23:08   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

I actually don't think these first two eps, good as they are, would rank in the elite tier of the first series. Yes, it's always been this good - and it's incredible how little has changed between the two seasons considering almost 9 years have passed.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 01:20   Link #104
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:

Yes. It was. But there was a variety of angles they would present the content from. Perhaps the ones you tried just hapoened to not work with you at the time or you were unlucky or something, whereas the angles of presentation for eps 1 and 2 of season two just did work?
Old 2014-04-13, 05:28   Link #105
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Ginko is a character that you slowly grow attach to since he's rarely the focus of the show. He doesn't grow as a character and only one episode in season 1(ep 12) dealt directly with Ginko's origin.

He's mostly there as the catalyst and info dump for the mushi.

As for the good endings, you'll definitely see some pretty tragic ones soon if the first season was an indicator.
Old 2014-04-13, 06:39   Link #106
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I actually don't think these first two eps, good as they are, would rank in the elite tier of the first series. Yes, it's always been this good - and it's incredible how little has changed between the two seasons considering almost 9 years have passed.
I agree, these first two episodes don't even rank among Mushishi's best. I'd say they're average for the series, but average by Mushishi standard is still ridiculously good. If you like them, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't like the first season. Every episode is different so you're going to like some more than others (I'm sure we all have our favorites), but they're all fantastic in their own way. Mushishi is one of those rare episodic series that manages to remain constantly great.

Please, Kaoru, do give the first season another try. It's a masterpiece no anime fan should miss.
Old 2014-04-13, 08:33   Link #107
cupumanager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The only bad thing about Mushishi is that every episode is so perfect and self-contained there isn't much to discuss every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
"There's really not much else I can say about Mushishi anymore except go watch it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
Yeah, I had the feeling that every week most of the posts would consist of "wow, that was great". But it really was. And that ending was quite powerful as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Seriously this is so good that we're going to run out of superlatives to describe it...
That is my main gripe with this series, That I lost for words but praises.

And I bet, This thread will ended up filled with that. A Praise thread, if you like.
Mainly.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 10:35   Link #108
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

This series, along with Kino no Tabi, has always been in my top 5 anime of all time and I don't think it will ever change.

I really don't want to repeat anything in this thread, but seriously I don't think I can speak anything else besides praising the episodes.

Quote:
Try it again, I think you miss a lot of great stories which will only be told later in the first season. In my case, epidode 4 of the first series was the first episode that truly grabbed me, and starting from episode 8 onwards, I only see praises everywhere for the series.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 08:56   Link #109
blewin

just finished episode 1. It's so great to see Mushishi make a return!
the first episode basically contains all basic information needed to explain what the series is about, but in terms of emotional impact, I don't think it delivers as well as some of its older episodes. I know it varies, that there will definitely be better episodes. I just question whether it's wise to use this as a starting episode to draw in new viewers.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 09:05   Link #110
Archaeon

Definitely a better second episode.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 19:58   Link #111
XGeneral2000

Man, 4 years after watching the first season, I still don't know why I like this show. I always try to objectively pin down why I like what I like and why I don't like what I don't like, and evaluate shows without bias. I've run Mushishi through my usual gamut of litmus tests, but they all turn up mostly blank. And reading through threads like these, I find out a lot of people seem to be in the same boat I am.

The only thing I can think of is that unlike nearly anything else I've seen, Mushishi doesn't seem to have any kind of agenda. It's not trying to push a certain theme, or tell a certain story, or even sell. There's no real plot, or theme, or moral divisions, or philosophy. It just is, like some kind of unbiased documentary. There seem to be messages and stories under every rock, but in the end, they all end up just being threads in some large tapestry of unknown purpose.

And it never tries to teach me anything, but I always feel like I learn something anyway.
XGeneral2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 22:40   Link #112
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's one of those series where I always ask myself if I still have the energy, or if I'm in the proper mindset to enjoy or 'consume' a 'serious' show like this after a long day.

And guess what? The answer has been, and is always yes... even when I'm doubting it would be so.

Once that opening starts, all of a sudden I'm in. I have no idea what it is. The themes certainly aren't light-hearted or universally enjoyable—not always, as sometimes it can be bittersweet and even sad. But it's not a heavy show that wears down my mood. I can sit back and listen to these characters just speak in their carefully focused and calm manner and just be drawn to it, as they reflect and even despair at their mysterious predicament. Slices of life unravelled, both the good and the bad, and a little bit of hope at the end.

This show is like crack, but in a good way.

Years have passed, and this show still affects me as if I were still watching it nine years ago. Truly, a very precious gem as far as TV shows go.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 00:37   Link #113
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rather than crack, for me Mushishi is like meditation. It requires a little effort but takes you to amazing places.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 00:41   Link #114
kujoe
from head to heel

Meditation... Actually, that would indeed be a better word to describe the overall experience.

I use "crack" to describe how much I find it hard to let go when I'm drawn to it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 04:01   Link #115
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Not bad....gives something like the warm feeling I feel from stuff like Cossette no Shouzo
Old 2014-04-16, 18:07   Link #116
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Even though the first two have been rather tame so far, Sadder episodes are coming.
Old 2014-04-17, 02:27   Link #117
TheSpoilerAlert

I just want to say that I'm really glad to see new Mushi-shi episodes. This series is just so calm and relaxing sometimes. Plus I dig that opening.

Follow us on Twitter: @AnimeSAP
TheSpoilerAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 02:48   Link #118
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Try it again, I think you miss a lot of great stories which will only be told later in the first season. In my case, epidode 4 of the first series was the first episode that truly grabbed me, and starting from episode 8 onwards, I only see praises everywhere for the series.
For me it was episode 2 ("The Light of the Eyelid") that hooked me, but episode 4 ("The Pillow Pathway") was definitely one of the best of the series. What a punch in the gut...
Old 2014-04-17, 12:55   Link #119
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was hooked right away, but it was also episode 4 that made me realize what I was watching was no ordinary anime. It left me utterly speechless with awe. I wasn't expecting to see that kind of stories in this series.
Old 2014-04-18, 05:35   Link #120
blewin

just finished episode 2, mulling over what the flock of birds means besides hope of being finally being released from the past. ok, maybe that's just what it means.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote