AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 13:14   Link #41
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There's more than just the problem of specific computers at hand - I mean, unless the MCs (Goldblum, Smith) in the original movie were DDOSing the main computer to death, then how in the nine hells did they manage to create an executable that is compatible with the alien OS and vice-versa?

Do aliens have Itanium or RISC/CISC microprocessors? Are they using 8-bit, 16, 32 or 64? Are they using a ternary language instead of our ole binary one? Do you need to install Java Runtime Environment (Java was released in 1995, ID4 was in 1996 IRC) to make the code work or should you use a highly portable C++ application instead? Unless they used Perl scripts? XD

That was one hell of a big plot hole...

But then again, since the US recovered the crashed space fighter some time before the ID4 (the so-called Roswell incident), they could've reverse-engineered some of the alien computer tech AND cooked up a compiler able to create apps compatible with the alien framework...but to get there, you'd still need one heck of a long time to even understand the basic 1s and 0s of alien computer programming. This isn't like deciphering hieroglyphics (we had the Rosetta stone to help us along) - this is trying to understand a completely different type of logic. I mean, people have been using computers to try and decipher the Phaistos Disc, for decades already, without success - so what are the odds of us figuring out the mere basics of alien programming?

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-03-28 at 17:21.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:20   Link #42
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The alien tech at Roswell seemed to not function until the aliens arrived again.

However the aliens had haxed into the Earth's communication satelites to coordinate their own efforts. So the aliens had to conform with Earth standards to use it. The theory is that the humans just used the alien's own signals against them. Using the captured alien fighter for testing until they found something that worked, then used in large scale. Because they found the alien signal, they probably could at least figure out some of the aliens methodology.
Old 2013-03-28, 13:31   Link #43
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The small alien crafts are likely actually powered by proximity to the large vessels. So since they have several significant samples of the large ships, they should have the power sources analysed. They might not be able to copy it, but they definitely would be able to find out its weaknesses.
Old 2013-03-28, 14:07   Link #44
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

We’re back to this then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Lightyears of advanced technology and those aliens never develop any kind of computer antivirus...
With all the network those aliens have, there’s no way in hell that they haven’t realized that they need some sort of defense system for their software against hacking and whatnot considering god-knows how many high-tech civilizations they already crushed under their tentacles .
Old 2013-03-28, 14:50   Link #45
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is of course possible that they've not come across any other civiliations that are higher tech. Or they just happen to use a method that was convienient to them this time and didn't suspect the humans to counter them so quickly. (maybe other species surrender quicker?)

One would assume that for a more advances race, they wouldn't use such a system to coordinate, and instead go for a frontal attack in mass, or avoid them entirely. They just happened to hit Earth at an akward point. Early contacts showed early atomic technolgy and no satelites in orbit. Later they find early space technologies and a communications satelite network. They return with the fleet and find the planet even more advanced in computers than they expected.

Maybe they don't care (with their shield technology. Maybe they've become complacent with so many easy kills. Maybe they stole this technology and don't understand it completely themselves (thus not even thinking about viruses and the like).

Or maybe it just sounded cool to the writer back in the 1990s.
Old 2013-03-28, 15:39   Link #46
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

There was always the possibility that the particular alien fleet leadership was incompetent.

Humans are not the only ones allowed to make mistakes.
Old 2013-03-28, 16:04   Link #47
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Maybe they don't care (with their shield technology. Maybe they've become complacent with so many easy kills. Maybe they stole this technology and don't understand it completely themselves (thus not even thinking about viruses and the like).

Or maybe it just sounded cool to the writer back in the 1990s.
Or maybe it's just one big plot hole (big enough to fit a mothership in it) like many movie critics already said more than a decade ago .

*off topic* Just like how the technologically-advanced aliens in Spielberg's War of the Worlds casually drank water from a sewer pipe. No wonder the bacteria get them . With all the super-advanced technology they have (a technology that able to demolish our modern military power with eons-old machines buried within the Earth), there's no way they know nothing about bacteria or any kind of microorganism. If they do, then they are one extremely ignorant species, just like Shyamalan's aliens in Signs (water, anyone?).
Old 2013-03-28, 16:09   Link #48
Kyuu
=^^=

The biggest plot hole of Independence Day...

Spoiler:

Call me a cynic... but consider how long the War in Afganistan has been going on... But of course, this IS a movie.

Having said that... who cares about plot holes in this movie? It was supposed to be an OMG, followed by a hooray humans win sort of plot to begin with. The concern about a sequel -- they're gonna take that -- and actually make a larger scale story out of it. Dare I say... Starship Troopers?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 00:43   Link #49
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The biggest plot hole of Independence Day...

Spoiler:

Call me a cynic... but consider how long the War in Afganistan has been going on... But of course, this IS a movie.

Having said that... who cares about plot holes in this movie? It was supposed to be an OMG, followed by a hooray humans win sort of plot to begin with. The concern about a sequel -- they're gonna take that -- and actually make a larger scale story out of it. Dare I say... Starship Troopers?
Not to get political about a fictitious piece of entertainment, but, to be fair, we didn't actually see the aftermath.

Look at the US forces in Iraq. Overthrew the regime in record time, but the plan for what to do after was one of the most incompetent plans ever in the history of the Armed Forces.

For all we know, something similar occurred in the fictional world of Independence Day, offscreen, and ID 2 deals with those issues.

I doubt it, but...still!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 02:24   Link #50
sky black swordman

I just found out about this, got to say I'm excited and looking forward to the film
But I can't help but worry as well that this movie will not be able to meet expectations and or will just turn horrible.

Last edited by sky black swordman; 2013-03-29 at 02:34.
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 07:55   Link #51
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

As THE movie that me and my siblings associated with a good time, so much so that we had memorized entire parts of the script ("I've been saying it! I've been saying it for ten damn years! Ain't I've been saying it huh, I've been saying it!"), I have mixed feelings about this sequel, more on the negative side due to Hollywood Sequelitis.

But we'll see how it goes. Having more movies about alien invasions never hurt

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 08:56   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Having more movies about alien invasions never hurt
Tell that to Battle LA. The shaky-cam style of that damn movie hurt my eyes and my head . Is there a Razzy nomination for worse cinematographer or something like that? If there is, the guy responsible for the camera in Battle LA (as well as the director who approved it) should’ve win that Razzie nomination by a landslide that year.
Old 2013-03-29, 13:57   Link #53
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Not to get political about a fictitious piece of entertainment, but, to be fair, we didn't actually see the aftermath.
I'd have to say -- after an experience like that -- in which, an entire species comes to Earth, with the intent of wiping us out...

Politically, the world will not take a stand for it; and I would actually speculate a world government to come out of it, where the collective resources of Earth would be pooled to defend against such a threat. On top of that, the world has access to the alien technology, and with 20 years... that's actually plenty of time to examine and try to invent versions of our own. It's your basic - "stand together or die" aftermath.

Would mankind develop means of extra-stellar travel? Not yet.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 15:16   Link #54
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I'd have to say -- after an experience like that -- in which, an entire species comes to Earth, with the intent of wiping us out...

Politically, the world will not take a stand for it; and I would actually speculate a world government to come out of it, where the collective resources of Earth would be pooled to defend against such a threat. On top of that, the world has access to the alien technology, and with 20 years... that's actually plenty of time to examine and try to invent versions of our own. It's your basic - "stand together or die" aftermath.

humanity would be
paranoid
mad
and arm to the teeth
Old 2013-03-30, 22:50   Link #55
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:

You're so young, so I forgive you for your naive idealism.

(Then again, it is a movie....hrm).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 04:56   Link #56
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Nearly 17 years after the original hit theaters
I just need to get past this part first and then deal with the fact that they wanna 'remake' another sequel.

Seriously, I know it's been over a decade of sequel trends in Hollywood, but couldn't we just have an original, amazing blockbuster for once without necromancing well made movies in the late 90's, early 2000's again x.x;;

Holy Hell, it really did come out in 1996, was in bloody high school then x.x;;

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 07:16   Link #57
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
has it already explained that there are no alien survivors left stranded on our planet during the aftermath? i mean i sorta found that question in an article at Cracked.com i hope this does not turn into a District 9 movie with the Navy Seals masquerding as the Men in Black wannabes thrown in
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 07:16   Link #58
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Holy Hell, it really did come out in 1996, was in bloody high school then x.x;;
I blame the internet, it warps space-time just like ID4 black hole technology

It's scary how time flies, in two years Marty should drop by from 1985.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 20:01   Link #59
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Will Smith is too expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Daily News
Following word this week of an official July 3, 2015 release date for 20th Century Fox's Independence Day 2, director Roland Emmerich has dropped a few hints about what to expect from the much-anticipated sequel.

"Will Smith cannot come back because he's too expensive," Emmerich told NY Daily News while promoting his latest, White House Down, "but he'd also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much."

The 1996 original also starred talent like Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, Randy Quaid, Mary McDonnell, Brent Spiner, James Duval and Vivica A. Fox. Although it's not specified as to exactly who might return for the sequel, Emmerich confirms that a number of the original film's characters appear in the script by Dean Devlin and himself.

"We have like maybe half of the people that you would know from the first film," he says, "and the other half are people who are new."

Pullman confirmed earlier this year that plans call for the return of his character, Thomas Whitmore, but no talent has been officially locked as of yet.
Strange, I thought his price went down a bit after that bomb of a movie After Earth .
Old 2015-06-09, 21:05   Link #60
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Official poster:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Nothing fancy. Just a re-used image from the first movie with the UFO zapping the Earth from space this time.