AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-12, 04:46   Link #41
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Who a character is related to is pretty darn critical information for a profile. You shouldn't make it too obvious for the character in your fics (unless that's part of your character's personality) but for a profile stating who your characters ancestor is (if he has one) is pretty important if you want people to write fics involving said plotpoint.
Old 2011-05-12, 05:32   Link #42
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

That just leaves me puzzled. Those were profiles, and I opted to hint the ancestor/descendent in name and in profile, rather than have an nyaa-ing loli that is a Holmes descendent in name only.

It wasn't going to be obvious in what I will be writing about so... why the big fuss?
Old 2011-05-12, 06:18   Link #43
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
That just leaves me puzzled. Those were profiles, and I opted to hint the ancestor/descendent in name and in profile, rather than have an nyaa-ing loli that is a Holmes descendent in name only.

It wasn't going to be obvious in what I will be writing about so... why the big fuss?
This part. The descendants are just that: Descendants. Not clones. They are their own people, with their own personalities and skills. They might have some skills of their ancestor, but they are not them.
Old 2011-05-12, 06:33   Link #44
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
I just had to do it too

<.<

CVR Instructor : 1 of Many

"Maestro" Amy Noless

just testing the waters for now
Old 2011-05-12, 07:37   Link #45
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Who a character is related to is pretty darn critical information for a profile. You shouldn't make it too obvious for the character in your fics (unless that's part of your character's personality) but for a profile stating who your characters ancestor is (if he has one) is pretty important if you want people to write fics involving said plotpoint.
I disagree totally, particularly if the idea is reveal it at some point during a fic. There is no need, nor is it necessarily a good idea to reveal all of a characters background and past in a profile. Particularly if it might spoil some planned plot point, all that's needed really is to provide an overview of the characters basic characteristics at some point in time.

Old 2011-05-12, 07:46   Link #46
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
This part. The descendants are just that: Descendants. Not clones. They are their own people, with their own personalities and skills. They might have some skills of their ancestor, but they are not them.
This is where we differ. After finding out that Aria was from Holmes, I was very much put off. There was no friggin' way she's anything like Holmes, not even in abilities! Not everyone shares my taste it seems...

I created Class 1-10 because of the abundance of reference licence created by the source material, so those descendents/ancestors and paranormal powers have to stay. I'll just subvert the personality. So far, I'm glad to achieve that with Jim and Alis. Xavier will need a lot of work. M is fine. I feel Nemo and Quade may ride on a line of clone a little, but are sufficient as they are for the roles they play in the fic while being their own men.

From my notes for upcoming characters of the team, they are much more unique. Again, similarity in ability only. I doubt you'll even notice who that person is related to if I didn't state it. So, stay tuned I say.

And bury the hatchet while ur at it.
Old 2011-05-12, 08:14   Link #47
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I disagree totally, particularly if the idea is reveal it at some point during a fic. There is no need, nor is it necessarily a good idea to reveal all of a characters background and past in a profile. Particularly if it might spoil some planned plot point, all that's needed really is to provide an overview of the characters basic characteristics at some point in time.
Point. Perhaps critical was a strong word. Yes, if you plan it to be some surprise reveal in your point in a fic, then having it in the profile would spoil the surprise. However if you don't plan to have it be a plotpoint in your fic (or if you don't care about the spoiler), then writing such information in the profile gives other authors more options in their works should they choose to.

Personally, I see these profiles as wiki pages. They provide background information for people to work with.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-05-12 at 08:44.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:13   Link #48
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Right, well here's my OC.

Spoiler for Jonathan W. Davis, profile:

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2011-05-19 at 02:36.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:51   Link #49
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
This is where we differ. After finding out that Aria was from Holmes, I was very much put off. There was no friggin' way she's anything like Holmes, not even in abilities! Not everyone shares my taste it seems...
You mean all the Baker Street clues and a shading of a gentleman with a pipe in the OP isn't enough hint of her identity ?

Beside, she did mention offhandedly that she didn't inherit the most important thing, which was Robert Downey Jr's deductive skills. Note that the characters are descendants and not parodies/reference/genderbend.

Some people aren't their father's son... Or in this case, Great Grand Father's daughter.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:55   Link #50
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Jack the ripper's descendant anyone?
Old 2011-05-12, 11:09   Link #51
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Jack the ripper's descendant anyone?
Assuming he actually left a woman alive after he's done...
Old 2011-05-12, 11:14   Link #52
tsunade666

jack the ripper rips apart every girl in every story of jack the ripper. he wouldn't be JTR if he doesn't rip it apart though it reminds me of one of the conan movies with Jack the Ripper descendants.

conan doyle's descendant will sue you for holmes copyright
Old 2011-05-12, 16:31   Link #53
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Jack was never caught, but his MO was that of an organized killer he arranged the crime scenes, removed evidence, and seems to have stalked or carefully picked victims and he was clearly educated to some degree due to how he mutilated the bodies, he may have even been an actual doctor given the methods (more or less surgical dissection). It's unlikely he could have remained unseen if he had been some crazed street person or the like, most people believe he was probably a seemingly respectable gentlemen hence he could blend in and lure women without setting of alarms. Given that it's entirely possible that like some modern killers, BTK for instance, he may have had a wife and family that knew nothing of his crimes, but helped further his facade of normalcy.

Old 2011-05-12, 18:10   Link #54
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You mean all the Baker Street clues and a shading of a gentleman with a pipe in the OP isn't enough hint of her identity ?
That was back in episode 1, when this thread did not exist. I had no room to lament about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Beside, she did mention offhandedly that she didn't inherit the most important thing, which was Robert Downey Jr's deductive skills. Note that the characters are descendants and not parodies/reference/genderbend.

Some people aren't their father's son... Or in this case, Great Grand Father's daughter.
But on the other hand, I don't want to deliberately subvert a personality just for the sake of being different. I feel that some parts have on-paper chemistry, and so I keep them.

I've worked out a balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Jack was never caught, but his MO was that of an organized killer he arranged the crime scenes, removed evidence, and seems to have stalked or carefully picked victims and he was clearly educated to some degree due to how he mutilated the bodies, he may have even been an actual doctor given the methods (more or less surgical dissection). It's unlikely he could have remained unseen if he had been some crazed street person or the like, most people believe he was probably a seemingly respectable gentlemen hence he could blend in and lure women without setting of alarms. Given that it's entirely possible that like some modern killers, BTK for instance, he may have had a wife and family that knew nothing of his crimes, but helped further his facade of normalcy.
Idea kha-jacked for Dr. Bashir, Ambulance. (name dropped above)
Old 2011-05-13, 01:47   Link #55
mechdra

The Milky Holmes set is not complete. We only have Holmes, where is the other 3? And Riko need the Gentleman thievis LOL.
Old 2011-05-13, 03:20   Link #56
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Seriously, somebody needs to play this at some point:

And I suppose it goes without saying that Jon's favorite movie is Bad Boys 2.

Regards the holmes, given that Aria's name is Kanzaki I'd think that Holmes had a daughter or something who married outside the family.

Kanae might be Holmes III; there's mentions of Grandmother, who was a skillful detective, which lends credence to the above thought...

.... but I heard Holmes is still alive, blind and leads EU, the bad guys?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-13, 07:23   Link #57
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I suppose he hurt his head when he fell down that waterfall.

Anyway. after episode 4, Aria should feel that she has it easy. She only needs 1 partner to fully empower herself. Alistair however either needs an army of X-ceptional talents...

...or a round dinner table.

~~~New Intelligence Data Updated~~~

If Alistair gets her own spinoff, this is the title card:

青鞘のアリスター
Aozaya no Alistair
Alistair of the Blue Sheath

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2011-05-13 at 09:00.
Old 2011-05-13, 09:07   Link #58
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Something that has been bugging me.

Why oh why did you go and name your (apparently) female OC with a male name?

Because if she's really from London, that's just silly. And in-universe it'd be silly.

Also....

Spoiler for Snippet:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-05-13, 09:52   Link #59
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Something that has been bugging me.

Why oh why did you go and name your (apparently) female OC with a male name?

Because if she's really from London, that's just silly. And in-universe it'd be silly.
We have a WINNER!

Yes, it isn't her real name. Everything else is a plot point, and related to her ancestor, and her power.

The time Jim discovers her real name is a "flag" event.

And now...

Suzumeno Manami (雀の 愛海)
Affiliation: Butei - B. SSR - 11.
Voice: Taketatsu Ayana

The first thing you notice about Manami is the canine ears on her head and the full tail peeking out from her skirt. Her body may be small, but she’s actually the oldest in class; werewolves age much more slowly than humans, almost twice as slow. So while the proud wolfgirl is 28 years old, her body is that of a 14 year old. She also has her puppy moments, like scratching her back by rolling in the grass or taking a nap in Alis's lap. Resist the urge to cuddle her however, for one cannot tell whether her bark or bite is worse, especially when both hurt as much as hell. Just ask Jim, who suffers the brunt of her assaults for everything from his laidback way of life to his constantly getting in her way to how Alistair “misplaces” so much value upon him. This is because Manami is completely loyal to Nakamura, and considers it her 'duty' to be Alistair's "guardian hound". It is obvious that she finds Jim unworthy of Alistair’s attention. And there’s more; Manami’s tribe are werewolf-pirates that roam the Seven Seas seeking treasure and high adventure. People associate them with mafia and international crime, when in actual fact they are anti-heroes that pose as villains to throw the underworld off their scent. Nevertheless, werewolf-pirates take what they need and leave nothing for their victims. Which then explains why Manami has barged into Jim’s life lock stock and barrel, hijacking everything under the guise of keeping an eye on him. In battle, she alternates forms between fully physically-reinforced wolf, fully hydrokinetic human, and werewolf which has a balance of both. In this manner, Manami juggles the different strengths and weaknesses of each form to maximal effect.

~~~~~~

I salute you if you could even guess who her ancestor is.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2011-05-13 at 22:59.
Old 2011-05-13, 10:24   Link #60
mechdra

After a long consideration, I decided to share this guy.

Name Fujita Shusuke
Division: Assualt
Height: 180cm
Hair color: black
Personality: laidback, observent and analytical
Weapon: double edge katana and Stechkin APS
Technique: Tennen Rishin-ryū, Shinsengumi-Kenjutsu and boxing
Closed Thread