AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 22:19   Link #1181
fanimanga

There's nothing much to say about the sparkling fairy dust... different people, different stroke. Personally, I like it. As the following people said:

Quote:

sleepypenguin: Blood is too mainstream for Hisoka

fuckyeahhisoka: That’s exactly what I thought. He has motherfuking stars intead of blood.

fatefuljoke: Please, He is a Diva.

sleepypenguin: ^AGREED. I kinda imagined his mutated arm doing the finger snap.

fuckyeahhisoka: ^
Man, I love this side of the fandom. And in case other people read/watched his experimental series - Level E, that's Togashi humour right there.

-------

"Their aura's flow like a serene rivers." - Wing

MANGA

HXH 2011

HXH 1999

-------

Ten, Zetsu, Ren, Hatsu in the new hxh anime respectively (models: Kastro and Killua):

TEN

ZETSU

REN - (massive) white aura, HATSU - colored aura (hands)

Ten, Zetsu, Ren, Hatsu in the old hxh anime.... none. They're all depicted like this:

/nuff said

Credits: images provided by SHINOBI-03
fanimanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 11:55   Link #1182
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanimanga View Post
There's nothing much to say about the sparkling fairy dust... different people, different stroke. Personally, I like it. As the following people said:

Man, I love this side of the fandom. And in case other people read/watched his experimental series - Level E, that's Togashi humour right there.
*snrk* Yeah, from that angle it does make it rather awesome.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 12:25   Link #1183
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Hisoka is a major diva. Tons of his lines are packed with sexual innuendo too. For example, you know the line he says at the end of the episode? Crunchyroll translated it as "I think I have a little motivation now." But it's also a pun; the line also means "I think I want to do it with you a little now...<3."

The heart is in the original text. CR should consider adding Hisoka's suit symbols into their subtitles.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 12:43   Link #1184
bbsbwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What fights? You mean this fight? Your memory is way off.. It definitely wasn't skipped but I can't remember it being pretty gory either .. Still, an obvious censorship like this with sparkles is just outright retarded.
No, the 1999 series skipped 90% of the Hisoka vs Kastro fight, that is a fact. It featured more blood in those few glimpses but what's the point if the actual fight wasn't even animated and shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanimanga View Post
[mod edit: large quote from previous post removed]
Thank you so much for these. I love how the 2011 paid more attention to details and break down, explained and executed the Nen system with a lot of respect and effort. They distinguished very clearly the differences between the 4 modes, and on top of that they still manage to give individualism with the color coded "Hatsu" (yes i love that Hisoka's is pink).

I was totally blah on the 1999 series handling of nen, it's just one-note cheap looking glowy colors and I find it strange how attached some 1999 series fans are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Hisoka is a major diva. Tons of his lines are packed with sexual innuendo too. For example, you know the line he says at the end of the episode? Crunchyroll translated it as "I think I have a little motivation now." But it's also a pun; the line also means "I think I want to do it with you a little now...<3."

The heart is in the original text. CR should consider adding Hisoka's suit symbols into their subtitles.
Yes I love the sexual innuendos Togashi packed in Hisoka's dialogues, there's even some in his fighting poses (a recent one in the latest manga comes to mind). The sexual innuendos in his dialogues works best with Japanese's language system, as they would most likely be lost in translation. Japanese borrowed a lot of words from Chinese, but a lot of Chinese words can have multiple meanings, they would also assigned a Japanese reading (Kunyomi) to those Chinese words in a smaller side-note type to put the word into context. That's where a lot of the fun can be hidden. The vocabulary in Hisoka lines would be written in Kanji (Chinese) form that has a certain meaning, yet the hiragana reading assigned to that kanji word would have completely different meaning. That's where a lot of the sexual innuendos comes in.

Hisoka's skills "Bungee Gum" is one example. In the Kanji written form it means "Elastic Love", but the Japanese reading saids "Bungee Gum". Most English translation would just take "Bungee Gum" as the translation, but that means English readers would miss the awesome "Elastic Love" name.

I can think of another recent example is when he threatened to kill Killua, even though the written Kanji word saids 'kill', the 'kunyomi' reading that goes with it didn't use the conventional reading "koroshite". Instead it uses a reading that meant 'violate/rape', and given Hisoka's sexual hand gesture as he made that threat, you put the two into context...

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-05-14 at 20:32. Reason: do not triple-post
bbsbwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 16:00   Link #1185
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I must put myself to watch this anime
Old 2012-05-14, 16:07   Link #1186
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbwk View Post
I was totally blah on the 1999 series handling of nen, it's just one-note cheap looking glowy colors and I find it strange how attached some 1999 series fans are.
Nostalgia's pretty much the only reason. It's just something we're so used to it feels weird to see it changed. Most of us will probably get used to it and wonder why the heck we protested against it in a dozen or so episodes.
Old 2012-05-14, 21:38   Link #1187
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm not sure whether or not the sparkles are meant to replace blood though. I do seem to recall this match being rather bloodless despite the arm-rippage.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:08   Link #1188
SHINOBI-03

I've been following this thread for ages and I saw it was time to join and bring more activity here.

First things first, I'm mainly on the manga side. I've read the manga before the new series has started and now I'm up to the Chimera Ant arc, and no I don't read scanlations and I save it all to the official volumes.

Second, I'm on the side of the new series. If it wasn't for the remake, I would watch the original. But after reading negative views on it and how it contradicts the manga a lot, I decided to follow the more faithful adaptation.

More to come in the future.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:17   Link #1189
SHINOBI-03

Dear complainers, haters, vampires and gore lovers who got disappointed by the lack of blood and usage of "pixie sparkles" in episode 31...

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-18, 22:43   Link #1190
leokiko

Yep, I will still complain. Bleach sucks, and it's mostly for kids/teens as in there is almost no mature themes.

At least censore it in a better way. The show is colorful enough already.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:57   Link #1191
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Yep, I will still complain. Bleach sucks, and it's mostly for kids/teens as in there is almost no mature themes.

At least censore it in a better way. The show is colorful enough already.
Yes, BLEACH's censorship is miles worse than HxH, which is why you should be thankful for not getting to their level. Hisoka lost his arm and that's the main idea. The blood did not play a major role to be needed.

Plus, the manga did give an explanation to why he didn't bleed and hopefully the new version will carry it out.

Spoiler for explanation:
Old 2012-05-19, 23:46   Link #1192
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Yes, BLEACH's censorship is miles worse than HxH, which is why you should be thankful for not getting to their level. Hisoka lost his arm and that's the main idea. The blood did not play a major role to be needed.

Plus, the manga did give an explanation to why he didn't bleed and hopefully the new version will carry it out.

Spoiler for explanation:
They didn't explain here, but it was implied when Machi healed his arm.

About the episode:

Even though I complain a lot, this episode was miles better than the original. It simply put that one to shame, no kidding. Plus, Machi. And Hisoka asking her on a date xD

@edit

Wow, found the sillhouete of the Chimera Ant characters on the first opening...hmm, HOLY SHIT CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-05-20 at 01:31.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 01:16   Link #1193
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hisoka overload this ep. What a wonderful twisted freak of a man he is.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 03:20   Link #1194
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep32:
Old 2012-05-20, 05:19   Link #1195
SHINOBI-03

Another magnificent episode.

Spoiler for Episode 32 - Anime vs Manga:

Spoiler for Episode 32 - Old vs New:

Last edited by SHINOBI-03; 2012-05-20 at 06:03.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:22   Link #1196
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I didn't really like the explanation of Hisoka's fight. In the manga, it was done in narration, which admittedly wouldn't have worked either in anime. But having those two do the exposition just seemed out of place.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 10:15   Link #1197
SHINOBI-03

You know what's great about the anime? It pays attention to little details that we usually overlook in the manga. Prior to this episode, I thought the scene when Hisoka pulled the card out of his arm was unnecessary and it could be avoided. However, now I understand the motif behind it.

Hisoka tells Kastro that his doppelganger cannot replicate the blood and dirt he get on himself during the battle, and we see blood stains on him. The question is where did the stains come from? The answer is Hisoka's trump card. When he threw it, Kastro swatted it away with his hand and we see some blood splattered from it. So, we could assume the splattered blood got on Kastro without realizing it and so, he got marked as the real one by Hisoka. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my thought.

Old 2012-05-20, 11:28   Link #1198
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

This episode was very enjoyable, since it showed lots of stuff that was left out of the 1999 version. Machi's new hair color and voice are easy to get used to (well, for me at least) and I do like how this new version shows a bit more emotion.

The continuation of the blood censorship was to be expected (aired my grievance about that last week, moving on), but I'm pleasantly surprised at the sound effects used with the card-in-arm trick. Those leave little to the imagination. And the arm-sewing scene was actually less censored in this version. Not much, but at least you get to see the arms.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-05-20 at 12:37.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:44   Link #1199
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Oh man Hisoka is so awesome. He's even pretending to be apart of the troupe. Those nen stitches were pretty sweet as well.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:57   Link #1200
ookamigirl

Kastro vs Hisoka!
Hisoka was just amazing.
Sacrificing both of his arms like he didn't care at all.
Seems like no one can beat him.
That doctor girl and her Nen stitches were pretty cool.
The explanation of the fight was really interesting.
Killua and Gon still have a lot to learn.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen