AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-07, 04:29   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Chaos Wars (Unholy Bad Voice Acting)

Chaos Wars is a PS2 Strategy RPG by Idea Factory that was just recently released in North America and probably would have gone under the radar but for it getting nailed by sites like Kotaku for having some of the worst in-game voice acting since the 90's. Check it out:

You've gotta love it when not only is the quality of the vocal track is so low that you can hear a distinct change and distortion in the overall volume of the audio itself whenever somebody speaks, but the voice actors can't even match their pitch and tone to the context of the scene nor pronounce simple words like Summon and Mountain nor not rush their sentences awkwardly, nor even appear to give a damn. To top it off the voices are so miscast to the characters appearances and the script so bizarrely matched to the vocal track and what is happening on screen that one has to wonder if it wasn't deliberate in someway.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 05:31   Link #2
Asceai
MINMES ;_;

Chaos Wars has non-sucky voice acting. While it's nothing special, the seiyuu are fairly noteworthy folks such as Hiro Shimono, Kōsuke Okano and Harumi Sakurai.

However, I'm talking about the original version. O3 dropped the ball on the localisation. Pathetic. Reminds me of dubbed anime.
Asceai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 05:34   Link #3
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

all the english VAs are related, lol. I saw somewhere that most of them had the same last names. It was hilarious, to find that out.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 06:05   Link #4
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

English Yoichi creeps me the fuck out and how do you get Ahhh from Keee
Old 2008-06-07, 06:17   Link #5
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Chaos Wars has non-sucky voice acting. While it's nothing special, the seiyuu are fairly noteworthy folks such as Hiro Shimono, Kōsuke Okano and Harumi Sakurai.

However, I'm talking about the original version. O3 dropped the ball on the localisation. Pathetic. Reminds me of dubbed anime.
If Shimono-kun is the biggest name in there (I haven't heard of the other two), even the original version has something to improve on.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 02:36   Link #6
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
GOSH**** PLEASE STOP!!!!
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 08:04   Link #7
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Spotted this game in a nearby shop, and since it was the sole copy there, I bought it.
Might be a rare game in the future, I thought.

Too bad the game seems a bit wonky... or maybe it's because I haven't played any semi-real time strategy RPGs before. I heard that this plays like Phantom Brave...

Gotten far enough to get Hijikata and Okita of Shinsengumi Gunrouden and Mika and Grave of Gungrave. I'll be probably playing this game on-and-off, since I'm really just playing this game for the sake of seeing Beyond the Grave in action once more..
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 12:12   Link #8
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
If Shimono-kun is the biggest name in there (I haven't heard of the other two), even the original version has something to improve on.
Toyoguchi Megumi, Chiba Susumu, Takahashi Hiroki, Kawakami Tomoko, Koyasu Takehito.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-30, 15:57   Link #9
Espiecakes
Lurker

The guy giving the monologue sounds like he's about to soil his pants. This is just terriblamazing; thanks for sharing.

I don't know what's going to last longer -- the headache I have now or the palm on my face.

rofl 5:15
Espiecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 06:21   Link #10
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

If you think the epilogue scene is bad acting, check this one out.

When a game is plagued by this bad voice acting, you really learn to appreciate the opinion of dual audio especially when you consider who the japanese voice actors in this game are. Anyway I'm still happy to see this game hit the western market despite some silly translations here and there especially seeing how this game is niché beyond niché..

Example of a silly translation mistake, when some dragon decides to use breath attack. The skill is called like "Dragon Bless" instead of Dragon Breath :P

Last edited by Graus; 2008-07-03 at 06:52.
Graus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 06:58   Link #11
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graus View Post
Example of a silly translation mistake, when some dragon decides to use breath attack. The skill is called like "Dragon Bless" instead of Dragon Breath :P
On a semi-related note, I remember that they mistranslated Reis's skill names in Final Fantasy Tactics (the PSX version), from Breath to Bracelet, or something in the same vein.

Still, I need to find a valid reason to play this (besides featuring my favorite Gungrave Characters) before I find another more worthwhile game to play...

*remembers that he still has that SRW OG Gaiden savefile left over...*
Old 2008-07-03, 07:58   Link #12
Graus

It's a pity that most Idea Factory games brought over have suffered from various annoying things which most could be fixed with custom firmware for the PSP games for example, but you really cant blame them for trying.

Withouth further said, I have to tip my hat to them for taking the iniative.
http://messageboard.tokyopop.com/for...ad.php?t=12650

A small quote from the thread link above
Quote:
My name is Steve Todoroki and I work for a Japanese computer game company called Idea Factory.

We make simulation RPG's, adventure games and manga/anime licensed interactive novels as well as our own original ones.

In Japan our games sell pretty well (20,000+) but most of our games don't make it outside of Japan as most US/European based publishers don't see the demand for them. My question to you Tokyo pop is are they wrong?

We are currently considering translating, publishing and selling these games abroad by ourselves.
Old 2008-07-03, 09:28   Link #13
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
Toyoguchi Megumi, Chiba Susumu, Takahashi Hiroki, Kawakami Tomoko, Koyasu Takehito.
Now, these are the big guns. Let me guess: they are the secondary characters/baddies, right?
Old 2008-07-03, 11:11   Link #14
Graus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Now, these are the big guns. Let me guess: they are the secondary characters/baddies, right?
Koyasu Takehito at least has a both villain and hero role(two different characters from two separate games)
Old 2008-07-05, 02:22   Link #15
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Okay, I just need to ask this to anyone else playing the game.

How do I get around that glitch in the Bookshelf (the one in the base, near the Gate Terminal) again? I just can't read the information in the "Dictionary, Help and Profile" screen since the background color is gone, leaving the text in the mercy of the dark second background. I'm interested in the various games and info contained there...
Old 2008-07-05, 05:13   Link #16
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graus View Post
If you think the epilogue scene is bad acting, check this one out.

When a game is plagued by this bad voice acting, you really learn to appreciate the opinion of dual audio especially when you consider who the japanese voice actors in this game are. Anyway I'm still happy to see this game hit the western market despite some silly translations here and there especially seeing how this game is niché beyond niché..

Good lord, put some effort into it guys. I'm not even sure if the guys were joking around or something. I mean "Jump" as a spoken line. I can't decide what was more mishandled, the script or the acting. I mean back in the day when I caught the mistake in Megaman 8 I thought I had struck on something huge. These guys are flubbing and mumbling their lines out, breaking sentence flow, rapidly changing tone and inflection and are just generally all over the place like they have no idea what the context of their lines are.

This is going to be one for the books. I think I found the new champ. And everyone's welcome by the way.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 12:06   Link #17
Graus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen View Post
Okay, I just need to ask this to anyone else playing the game.

How do I get around that glitch in the Bookshelf (the one in the base, near the Gate Terminal) again? I just can't read the information in the "Dictionary, Help and Profile" screen since the background color is gone, leaving the text in the mercy of the dark second background. I'm interested in the various games and info contained there...
Sorry for the late response, you could try these two suggestions out.
Quote:
I had to back out of it, walk around, then go back to the book shelf to try again. After three or four tries it eventually worked right. It just takes patience and repetition. Think of it as grinding.
and
Quote:
If you back out of the bookcase and go back into it, it should be fine. It's a relatively common glitch.
Old 2008-07-08, 08:02   Link #18
MeganeShounen
Huh?

When you say "back out of the bookshelf", do you mean moving away from it?

I've already tried that a few times (check the bookshelf, seeing it glitched, cancel and move away, and check again), but it still wouldn't work on my part... Maybe my copy is cursed? ^_^;;;
Old 2008-07-08, 10:51   Link #19
Graus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen View Post
When you say "back out of the bookshelf", do you mean moving away from it?

I've already tried that a few times (check the bookshelf, seeing it glitched, cancel and move away, and check again), but it still wouldn't work on my part... Maybe my copy is cursed? ^_^;;;
It's most likely some sort of glitch, I would ask about it on GameFaq's Chaos Wars section because that seems to be the most active place to discuss about the game.

Tags
strategy rpg