AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-07, 13:14   Link #581
TJR

Quote:
So at some level, this honestly doesn't seem fair to the fans of the Key/KyoAni partnership, imo. It really doesn't, as we did our part to financially support the DVDs/Blu-Rays for the Key/KyoAni works, and so they were commercially successful well-beyond what the vast majority of VN-adaptations ever see.
I don't really see it as a matter of fairness. When we paid for the Key/KyoAni DVDs, we were supporting those shows and only those shows (we delivered the cash because we enjoyed the shows, they delivered the product. The obligation ends there). We weren't investing in future development, although fans tend to see things that way.

It's definitely a disappointing turn of events though. Limited production capacity and the realities of opportunity cost (K-ON!! was certainly much bigger than the Key adaptations, so it was going to be prioritized) got in the way.

Quote:
By the same logic, it would mean that Key gave their blessing to Toei for Kanon, expecting it to be what they were expecting. I think Baba's opinion about Kanon 2002 is self sufficient if you ask me.
I get the sense that Baba was referring more to visual quality. He expressed disappointment in Kanon but noted that anime technology had increased to the point that quality can do the original work justice (i.e. in the past, he was disappointed with how game adaptations looked). He also noted that other studios besides KyoAni were capable of delivering the necessary quality.

He never discussed script, although it was implied that Key would work with an anime writing team to devise the adaptation strategy. They already had a solution in mind.
Old 2012-04-07, 13:22   Link #582
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My only experience with VN adapted anime from JC Staff is an anime that doesn't exist. XP

However, if it's directed by Nagai then I can be more optimistic. I haven't read the VN so for me it doesn't have to be completely faithful.
Old 2012-04-07, 13:31   Link #583
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I don't really see it as a matter of fairness. When we paid for the Key/KyoAni DVDs, we were supporting those shows and only those shows (we delivered the cash because we enjoyed the shows, they delivered the product. The obligation ends there). We weren't investing in future development, although fans tend to see things that way.
I disagree.

By continuing to support in very large numbers each and every Key/KyoAni project, Key/KyoAni fans were making it very clear that they'd like for that particular creative partnership to continue (i.e. if this was just a lone project, I'd be inclined to agree with you here, but there is a clear, consistent sales pattern here).

Due to Toei, we also have a point of comparison here, which further illuminates how Key fans likely viewed KyoAni as their production studio of choice for Key works. Since those same Key fans showed up to buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of KyoAni/Key works, I think that the most fair outcome of that would be further Key/KyoAni cooperation in the future.
Old 2012-04-07, 13:59   Link #584
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Due to Toei, we also have a point of comparison here, which further illuminates how Key fans likely viewed KyoAni as their production studio of choice for Key works. Since those same Key fans showed up to buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of KyoAni/Key works, I think that the most fair outcome of that would be further Key/KyoAni cooperation in the future.
While I understand your point, it's a bit exaggerated. Buying a product doesn't entitle fans to future products, but it's in the companies's natural best interests to keep repeating patterns that work. It's certainly not like they've chosen to make this adaptation out of some sort of desire to spite the fans or to make an adaptation that no one will like. That wouldn't be in anyone's best interests: not Key, not Warner Japan, and not J.C. Staff. (Not to mention the director, writer, and all the other staff involved.) Although Key said in the past that they were hoping for Kyoto Animation to do the project, for whatever reason it wasn't in the cards. Other proposals were placed on the table, and it stands to reason the best proposal was chosen. And yes, it was chosen over the (presumed) possibility of waiting even longer. Did they make the right call? Only time will tell...

What Key fans generally seem to want is a high quality adaptation that looks good and is faithful to the original work. We have to judge the product that's made to know if it lives up to those expectations.
Old 2012-04-07, 14:32   Link #585
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My only experience with VN adapted anime from JC Staff is an anime that doesn't exist. XP

However, if it's directed by Nagai then I can be more optimistic. I haven't read the VN so for me it doesn't have to be completely faithful.
The staff has already been mentioned, it's not being directed by Nagai.

Didn't they say this is coming sooner than one would expect? That would imply summer or fall and honestly with JC staff I'm just assuming it's going to be terrible from the outset. I'll only watch it if overall forum response here turns out to be any good.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-04-07, 14:55   Link #586
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Some people over at ANN are speculating that this is a fake (that's why the news haven't been posted there) since the pic used in the leak is a pic that has been in a dengeki magazine before.
It's also pretty odd that no news about the new Angel Beats! project hasn't been leaked despite that it is supposed to be included in the same magazine.

I doubt that it's a fake but it still is rather odd.
Old 2012-04-07, 15:01   Link #587
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usami_Haru View Post
Some people over at ANN are speculating that this is a fake (that's why the news haven't been posted there) since the pic used in the leak is a pic that has been in a dengeki magazine before.
It certainly isn't impossible. But, if it is a fake, I'd have to rate it at least 9/10 on the believability scale, particularly with the interview excerpt from Warner Japan. That level of attention to detail takes some serious skill.

If it does turn out to be fake though, this thread is going to be even more interesting. (What would be funny would be if the magazine comes out, this is a fake, but they don't actually name the staff after all. )
Old 2012-04-07, 15:05   Link #588
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If it does turn out to be fake though, this thread is going to be even more interesting. (What would be funny would be if the magazine comes out, this is a fake, but they don't actually name the staff after all. )
Or it's fake but then it turns out the studio is still JC Staff but with different director and writer
Old 2012-04-07, 15:27   Link #589
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
The staff has already been mentioned, it's not being directed by Nagai.
Goddammit it...
Old 2012-04-07, 15:35   Link #590
Draneor
Aesop's Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
By continuing to support in very large numbers each and every Key/KyoAni project, Key/KyoAni fans were making it very clear that they'd like for that particular creative partnership to continue (i.e. if this was just a lone project, I'd be inclined to agree with you here, but there is a clear, consistent sales pattern here).
Eh, I bought the R2 DVDs and BD boxsets for Kanon/Clannad because I liked those adaptions. Sure, while I would have preferred a KyoAni LB adaptation, I can't say it had any bearing on why I bought what I did. Plus, people bought other KyoAni titles (including me) in greater numbers.
Old 2012-04-07, 16:03   Link #591
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Wow, ha... haaaaaa... wow. I guess what we saw in the PV (Blurry backgrounds and faded characters) is what we're gonna get. You know, I don't hate J.C. staff, I'm actually a fan of theirs, because they make stuff that's watchable and entertaining, but they're not someone who I'd want animating Little Busters!. Kyoani + Key was awesome, because their anime felt like works of art to me. The animation, characters, story all came off as being beautiful. Now, we all know that before every Kyoani + Key adaptation, there was a Toei + Key adaptation, these were watchable and entertaining, but not works of art as I would call them.

J.C. Staff + KEY? We got the director of Kill Me Baby, I actually defended this show. Seems kind of a strange choice, but if it's true, KMB did a good job of slapstick. I also see this guy worked on Key animation for AzuDa, so Masato/Kengo/Rin slapstick scenes, we'll definitely see some funny/entertaining stuff. The comedy will be there. What's really gonna suffer are the emotional scenes, we're also gonna miss out on beautiful backgrounds to stare at that enhance the mood. Of course I hope they do an exceptional job with LB, but who knows how they'll fit/change the plot of each character arc in the main story. Even if they tried to stay true to the story, J.C. Staff has never been good with serious scenes, so I'm already prejudiced that the climax scenes of each character arc will end up feeling contrived. My contrived is a lot more encompassing than other people's though. I just don't think we'll get any scenes that feel as special as some of the Kyoani + Key scenes. I've never shed a tear during one of J.C. Staff's shows. As weird as it sounds for one to wish for themselves to cry, I'm hoping this will be the first.

If it's fake, this would be the greatest troll job ever. (Tinfoil Hat on) When I look at the art done in the scan, it seems kind of funny that they would use art drawn by Key instead of animation from the PV to accompany the announcement for the ANIME.

Also I'm curious to know how long this will be. The shorter it is, the more likely we'll get another adaptation later on.
Old 2012-04-07, 16:33   Link #592
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Wow, ha... haaaaaa... wow. I guess what we saw in the PV (Blurry backgrounds and faded characters) is what we're gonna get.
To be clear (mostly in case anyone else might be confused), they already explained that the animation in the PV was contracted out and assembled by Key (just to show some of the game CGs animated), so we shouldn't assume that the animation shown in that PV has anything in common with the real production. That doesn't mean your assumptions are or aren't true, of course, but the PV wasn't animated by the real team. (This is also why they didn't use art from the PV in the announcement. The anime character designs haven't been revealed yet as far as we know.)
Old 2012-04-07, 16:43   Link #593
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
To be clear (mostly in case anyone else might be confused), they already explained that the animation in the PV was contracted out and assembled by Key (just to show some of the game CGs animated), so we shouldn't assume that the animation shown in that PV has anything in common with the real production. That doesn't mean your assumptions are or aren't true, of course, but the PV wasn't animated by the real team. (This is also why they didn't use art from the PV in the announcement. The anime character designs haven't been revealed yet as far as we know.)
Yea, just seems ironic. We might be lucky to get the quality we saw in the PV now. Those characters designs I complained about (Heroines seemed too short, heads got bigger, bodies got smaller.) I wouldn't mind seeing them returning now. I like the resemblance to the original and I wouldn't want to gamble with getting something worse anymore.
Old 2012-04-07, 18:46   Link #594
Balzac
Assistant Professor

*peers through the cloud of dust*

From what I'm reading (and that's skimming through the walls of discussion), there's fears of having fillers or anime-original scenes?

Well, those actually have precedence in the source material...

*ducks back outside the cloud*
Old 2012-04-07, 19:22   Link #595
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
J.C. Staff + KEY? We got the director of Kill Me Baby, I actually defended this show. Seems kind of a strange choice, but if it's true, KMB did a good job of slapstick.
Yamakawa produced a robust adaptation of Hatsukoi Limited. I'm surprised that Warner/J.C. didn't go with someone more renowned (at this point, his directorial ability remains mostly unknown), but what stands out to me is the extent of his involvement on his shows.

On Hatsukoi Limited, Yamakawa storyboarded half the episodes, and on Kill Me Baby, he did 2/3s (particularly atypical given how busy directors are). He didn't sit back and let his team do all the leg work, which is what we often find with veteran directors.

I think that kind of dedication and passion can convince producers to give someone a chance. After all, those who embrace their assignments are likely to give 110% of themselves. There's no guarantee of quality, but I certainly appreciate tenacity.
Old 2012-04-07, 19:44   Link #596
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Really though,more than JC staff,I'm intrigued by the writer (who again has never worked for JC staff before) having only done daytime tv shows like DBZ,one piece,Kaze no Shoujo Emily,Anne before green apples,shugo chara etc and nothing really close to a VN adaptation.
Well, except for DBZ those are all really well written series...
Old 2012-04-07, 19:58   Link #597
Shiina
ガ━━Σ(゚Д゚|||)━━ン!!

The Rewrite HF twitter addressed the many fan complaints about JC's tendency to butcher things...

Key開発室
@Key_RewriteHf
リトバスアニメは全然違う話になったりとか、オリキャラが出てきたりとか、そういうのは全然ないです。出回 ってるのは構成上の話ですよ。まだ発売されてないですが……電撃VAのインタビューを読んでみ てください。
たとえば小毬の話にはかなり早い段階で分岐してます。ですが、起こることやその後の展開などはすべて原作準 拠です。
リトバスは長い話なので、アニメも長い期間をもらったてはいますが、どうしても短縮しなければならないです 。そこは理解していただきたいです。オリジナルといえば、鈴と小毬、新規リトバスメンバーとの関係性はちょ っと掘り下げてもらうかもです。やっておきたかったことなので……
ともあれ、全力で出来る限り頑張ってます。脚本の島田さんも、「ロミオの青い空」を担当された方です。これ すごい名作です。見たこと無い方は一度ご覧になってください。

Can't translate exactly, but basically
-"Rumors that the LB anime will be a super loose adaptation or that it'll have anime original characters and such are totally false. It's not on sale yet, but please read the interviews in Dengeki Visual Arts when you can."
-"For example, Komari's route will appear quite early on, but all the developments will stay true to the original."
-"LB is long and the anime is going to be long as well, It's not getting cut short. but some parts just have to be cut due to length, so please understand. If I had to mention something anime original, the relationships between Rin and Komari and the other new members of the Little Busters will be explored a bit more in-depth. Because we wanted to do so..."
-"Anyway, we're working as hard as we can. The writer Shimada was in charge of 'Romeo's Blue Skies', which was a masterpiece, y'know? If you haven't seen it before I recommend you give it a watch."

Interesting. I'm not as pessimistic about this adaptation now... but still not getting expectations too high. And Komari first, eh? Her route doesn't seem to be too popular, but I liked it.

Last edited by Shiina; 2012-04-07 at 21:17.
Old 2012-04-07, 20:16   Link #598
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiina View Post
T
-"Anyway, we're working as hard as we can. The writer Shimada was in charge of 'Romeo's Blue Skies', which was a masterpiece, y'know? If you haven't seen it before I recommend you give it a watch."
While I havn't seen it it atleast it sheds light into the choice.

I do think we can expect something like 4 cours,the writer has done plenty of very lenghy shows.
Old 2012-04-07, 20:16   Link #599
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Putting Komari's route first is definitely the way to go, especially when Rin and Yuiko should be kept last. Mio and Haruka potentially can be placed anywhere, save first and last. That leave you with either going with Komari or Kud, but from all intent and purpose with the entire cast, komari is your best bet.
Old 2012-04-07, 20:25   Link #600
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Putting Komari's route first is definitely the way to go, especially when Rin and Yuiko should be kept last. Mio and Haruka potentially can be placed anywhere, save first and last. That leave you with either going with Komari or Kud, but from all intent and purpose with the entire cast, komari is your best bet.
Well, but where should they place the EX routes, assuming the animated saya in the trailer wasn't just a big red hering?

Tags
anime game, little busters