AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 18:47   Link #701
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

I once saw Gantz without shrink wrap in a Barnes and Noble. (An average bookstore, for those of you outside the states.) I worry some 10 year old looking for Naruto is having his innocence destroyed as we speak.
Old 2009-06-09, 05:35   Link #702
Tri-ring

Looks as if Volume 12 is scheduled to be released on August 10th.

Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 14:56   Link #703
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

hmmm, guess I'll wait til mid-August to make my next 'mass-order' from Japan.
Old 2009-06-10, 04:15   Link #704
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

yo guys ! it's been a while since I last posted here, but know that I have been regulary reading everything ^_^
glad to see that most of you are doing ok and still interested in the series ^_^

as most of the students out there, I've been studying and preparing for my exams, projects etc etc etc, and I have only about 1.5 weeks left to go, and then I'll get back to reading the novels..
I also heard that barbs and judge are starting to "read" volume 2.. good luck on that ^_^
this time I shouldn't disappear for long..
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 11:50   Link #705
Rawrs

Good luck Salv! Looking forward to reading more
Rawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 18:50   Link #706
Matt122005

So um, I'm confused. We aren't allowed to even DISCUSS that there ARE fan translations? I realize not mentioning the name of a group or providing a link, but were not allowed to even acknowledge that they exist and that a large group is reading them? Just making sure I understand.

-Matt

Hey guys, yea, I returned. lol
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 22:32   Link #707
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You can talk about the story.... that isn't the same as "talking about the translations" (unless you're discussing a japanese phrase that doesn't seem to match the way you've seen it translated) or talking about who is doing translations.

Basically its handled exactly like licensed anime is (since this is licensed material now).
You can talk about the story, the art, etc.... you just can't say *where* you're getting scanlations from.

Not hard, keeps AS within its 'safe spot' -- and really, it isn't rocket science to find this stuff (though it seems to be rocket science to the lawyers.... o.O).

Besides, if you like the story that much... you'll be buying the manga.
Old 2009-06-13, 07:02   Link #708
barbsicle
B-T Translator

Send a message via MSN to barbsicle
due to my spontaneous habit to do things in bursts, my volume 2 will be read within the next week.

i also realise that reading a part of it will not bring me as much enjoyment as when i read the whole volume 1 (it gave me some satisfaction and understanding as to why this is a novel worthy of a prize).

so yeah, ill see you guys around in a week.

Barbs.
barbsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 10:55   Link #709
Voltron

Hello everyone. I have just started read Spice and Wolf novels since I love anime series. And I have few questions to you

1. When I can get those judge and others fan translated volumes that all of you are talking about?
2. How many volumes will have S&W?
3. How many volumes are translated?
4. PLEASE. Can someone explain me what happened in the end of Volume 3? Because I read your posts about Lawrance misunderstood everything but I can not get what he misunderstood and what Horo was doing all this volume. Was it some her plan? And what happened to Atami? And did Horo and Lawrance have some conversation after that? I beg if someone can explain me ending of Volume 3 with details. I will be really gratefull.

And I am sorry for my english mistakes .

Last edited by Voltron; 2009-06-14 at 13:26.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 21:15   Link #710
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The novels have been licensed by Yen Press, so we can't actually tell you where to find scanlations or translations online now, as per Animesuki Rules.

However, it doesn't take any rocket science, a bit of Google, and a scan of old posts to figure out where fans continue to translate the novels.

And certainly we'll ask that you buy the novels when they are released to support the stories you love.
Old 2009-06-15, 09:45   Link #711
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Okay, I have been away from this forum for like....well, I'm sure you can tell

@Voltron:

As for Fan Translations...I have no idea what you're talking about...

1) Why are you asking this question, when Point #4 makes it seem like you've already read Volume 3?

2) Currently there are...11 Volumes in Japanese I believe. As for English, The first "Official Translation" volume will be published in December this year.

3) See #2 for Volumes translated.

4) Pretty much, After Horo realizes Lawrence kept the fact that her village might have been destroyed a secret, she gets mad. Then Lawrence goes away. In this time, Horo STOPS being mad, and makes a plan to get $$. But, Lawrence still thinks Horo is mad, though she isn't. So to get her to stay with him, he tries frantically to beat Amati at the "Pyrite" trading. In the end, Horo goes back with Lawrence, who feels stupid for having run around so heatedly when there was no need, because Horo WASN'T mad. As for Amati...he just got scammed. lol.

That's pretty much volume 3.

Right now, I realized that while the Spice and Wolf novels will be sold for 10.99 at regular bookstores, Amazon.co.jp has a pre-order price of like, $8.49. This saves you $2.50, and makes the novel, which has tons more text and pages than a manga, (usually), cheaper!????

Anyway, I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but it's sitting in my cart waiting. I'm wondering whether to get it on co.jp, or the real site...honestly, I really hope this series kicks off MUCH better than Haruhi...because...well, I just...

*need more*
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 07:32   Link #712
judgment26
Former B-T Translator

Lol, that summary of Vol. 3 made me laugh...

Edit: Meh, perhaps I should have someone make me a sig. I'm still not used to seeing so much empty space at the bottom of my posts....=.=+
judgment26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 23:51   Link #713
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

I thought it was pretty witty too...but your the first to comment so....O_o

(I thought the funniest part was "As for Amati...he just got scammed." or maybe it was "Horo STOPS being mad, and makes a plan to get $$.")

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the "Reader Friendly" Japanese novel 2. I will be brushing up on my Japanese skills at school as well. ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-22, 05:56   Link #714
Riful
Of The West

be it novel or anime ... in the official translation I hope they somehow manage to render Holo's special way of talking in english.
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-23, 11:35   Link #715
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
This saves you $2.50, and makes the novel, which has tons more text and pages than a manga, (usually), cheaper!????
Thats natural. Books are getting cheaper since less and less people read them, sadly. So they have to cut the price in hopes of getting more readers.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 01:29   Link #716
Rawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Thats natural. Books are getting cheaper since less and less people read them, sadly. So they have to cut the price in hopes of getting more readers.
Hey I love reading novels. Sadly I think you are right though, in the modern world it seems people are begining to get too lazy to read, and prefer movies or anime to be thrust infront of them to be able to get the story..

I'm loving the Spice and Wolf light novels though, and am currently up to volume 7 with the sub-plots ^^

I don't want this series to end!
Old 2009-06-26, 03:40   Link #717
Mr. Anime

volume 7? so u can read japanese u lucky bastard^^
concerning the story i think the anime does a pretty good job, no wonder people prefer it.
for me, something would be missing if i ONLY read the novel. i think novel and anime complement one another.
Mr. Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 20:59   Link #718
Rawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anime View Post
volume 7? so u can read japanese u lucky bastard^^
concerning the story i think the anime does a pretty good job, no wonder people prefer it.
for me, something would be missing if i ONLY read the novel. i think novel and anime complement one another.

No I can't, but I'm learning to. I can read katakana and am memorising hiragana now... It takes a long time compared to our 26-letter alphabet...

I've read the fan-you-know-what's of vol. 1, 3 and 4 (had to watch the Anime for vol. 2 though) and just finished Wolf and Amber Melancholy in vol. 7

And I agree with you on the point made about the anime and novels complimenting each other; for this series it's totally true. The anime seems to make Horo much less proud than the anime though and, of course, you don't get to see Lawrence's thoughts properly - rather, you have to work them out from his facial expressions.

Either way, I love them both and am eagerly looking forward to reading more of the novels ^^
Old 2009-07-04, 08:03   Link #719
barbsicle
B-T Translator

Send a message via MSN to barbsicle
haha no progress reading for me. something screwed up with my graphics card and i only got it replaced today. guess it didn't last too long with the hardcore gaming.

so back i go.

Barbs
barbsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 19:14   Link #720
Kaguya
an idler

The next work of Isuna Hasekura is "Billionaire Girl".
It is a series start on September 7.
It is not as a novel but as the original author of comics.
A cartoonist is Asuka Katsura. (Blood+ comic version)
Although it seems that the story of money is related, it seems to be the type different from Spice & Wolf.

I think that Vol.13 will probably be the last volume of Spice & Wolf.

Last edited by Kaguya; 2009-07-04 at 19:27.
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen