AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 16:52   Link #1
Nanoha
You just say my name.

Question Suggestions for Yaoi/Yuri Animes

I'm looking for yaoi/yuri animes, but preferrably yuri. I have nothing against yaoi, I'd watch them if its really good but I prefer yuri over yaoi. I'm a STRAIGHT girl, not lesbian or bi, but I enjoy watching yuri... I wonder why..?

Anyways, any suggestions?
Old 2009-07-01, 16:56   Link #2
Rednanaki

Blue Drop: Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku: Definitely great emotional development between the mains. Note, the drama mostly deals with the fact that one of the girls is an alien.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:46   Link #3
jedinat

What have you seen?

Here's the anime with yuri elements I consider worth watching, from my favorite to least:
Maria-sama ga Miteru (and Haru, 3rd, 4th)
Simoun
Candy Boy
Strawberry Panic
Re:Cutie Honey
Devilman Lady (a bit light on yuri, but oh well; still an interesting anime)
Kashimashi: Girl meets Girl
Kannazuki no Miko (if it wasn't for the verry ending, I would say pass; scroll through the mecha scenes regardless, lol. They're pretty awful)
Old 2009-07-01, 19:18   Link #4
Nanoha
You just say my name.

Thanks, for the suggestions~

Kannazuki no Miko is what actually got me into it. Only because of the serious amount of parodies of its addicting ending song and... when my friends tied me to a freakin' chair and forced me to watch Kannazuki no Miko from episode one to twelve.... 6 hours!!~

Here's the few yuri animes I've watched:
Kannazuki no Miko
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, A's, StrikerS (Though this one is suggestive. NANOFATE~ <33)

Oh and please feel free to suggest yaoi animes!
Old 2009-07-01, 20:22   Link #5
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

If you like slice-of-life and don't mind the shoujo-ai elements instead of yuri (as subtext rather than actual pairing) then can check out Hyakko. The animation is quite bad, but i 've really enjoyed the comedy and character interaction (mostly girls with 3 notably guys) of this series. I like it so much that i gave it top mark 10/10 (only 4 series in my very long list got top mark) xD
Anyway do not have much hope, but other than the yuri elements, if you survive through Ep 2, you should find the rest of the series interesting.

I heard two coming series this season: Blue Flower (Aoi Hana) and Umi no Monogatari (2009) also have some yuri and some subtexts. But i haven't checked them out yet....

But yeah... when it comes to anime, "it'a sad yuri world out there"(as not much series exist). Yaoi is in a worse position because male audience often put it in the same rank with H stuffs.....

PS: a bit out of topic, but nice signature. Loli White Devil... small and dangerous... ^_^
Old 2009-07-01, 22:58   Link #7
Falkor

I strongly suggest Candy☆Boy (thread at AS). my favorite yuri series---each episode is short, fluffy and very sweet. hint: look at my signature :P

Currently airing Aoi Hana is shaping up to be very good (thread at AS). I will also add Sasameki Koto (thread at AS), but we will have to wait until later this year, since the show has not even aired yet.

if you don't mind reading manga, I suggest Sasameki Koto (again), Girlfriends, Strawberry Shake and Little Little---all of them are very good in my opinion, especially when it comes to yuri.

I don't really watch yaoi (or BL for that matter), but I suggest watching Antique Bakery (thread at AS). Some of the situations are quite funny and it's supposed to appeal to a larger audience (it has great OP/ED songs by the way).
Old 2009-07-19, 02:28   Link #8
Nanoha
You just say my name.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys~

I will definitely look up on some of those series! Some of those suggested animes looks promising, I ABSOLUTELY WILL CHECK THOSE OUT! I have to get rid of my addiction to Nanoha and Fate first though.. ahahaha

Anyways, thanks a lot guys!

Aimed at risingstar3110:
Quote:
PS: a bit out of topic, but nice signature. Loli White Devil... small and dangerous... ^_^
Haha, yes yes... White Devil will own you! Its fluffy and dangerous! xD
Old 2009-07-19, 02:51   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Aoi Hana is airing now and seems pretty good.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-07-19, 15:02   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
serious, well-portrayed yuri in anime is a lie, nothing but Bait and Switch Lesbians who get paired up randomly with some stupid guy at the end of the show.

if it's not dealt with in this manner, then it's so shallow it's nothing but pure fanservice.

relating to the OP, I'd like some recommendations for a yuri anime that is honestly deep and treats the relationship with the same respect that hetero pairings get. No Marimite. I hate that show. It's Bait and Switch Lesbians at its worst.
Old 2009-07-19, 15:39   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
serious, well-portrayed yuri in anime is a lie, nothing but Bait and Switch Lesbians who get paired up randomly with some stupid guy at the end of the show.

if it's not dealt with in this manner, then it's so shallow it's nothing but pure fanservice.

relating to the OP, I'd like some recommendations for a yuri anime that is honestly deep and treats the relationship with the same respect that hetero pairings get. No Marimite. I hate that show. It's Bait and Switch Lesbians at its worst.
What are you talking about? I've never even seen an anime matching this "bait and switch" lesbian business.... and I've basically seen all the yuri anime...
Old 2009-07-19, 16:01   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Well, I'm looking for something that isn't pure fanservice, which makes the going hard. Yuri is usually portrayed as fanservice and then sometimes circumvented via canon by pairing one or both of the women involved with a random guy (NANA is a good example of this).

What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

I'm convinced it doesn't exist.
Old 2009-07-19, 18:38   Link #13
Qwey

Quote:
Well, I'm looking for something that isn't pure fanservice, which makes the going hard. Yuri is usually portrayed as fanservice and then sometimes circumvented via canon by pairing one or both of the women involved with a random guy (NANA is a good example of this).

What I'd like to see is something cute and heartwarming, but seriously portray a lesbian relationship (not just fluffy fanservice) without being angsty and emo.

strawberry panic is the only thing that could fit that, I think.
Old 2009-07-19, 19:10   Link #14
Fate21
Kiyu~

For yaoi : Junjou Romantica 2 (although i haven't watch it) and Princess Princess anime (i read the manga, the story is good and light to read, although i'm not really into yaoi) and Gakuen Heaven maybe
And Uta-kata anime has Yaoi and Yuri
Old 2009-07-19, 20:52   Link #15
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
How come no one mentioned Kanamemo yet ? It's one of the newest shows, though I'm not too sure of the nature of the show

Comedy ? Drama ? Yuri ? Or Yuri fanservice ? Not too sure. There's plenty of comedy yes, so even if not for the yuri, it's a good watch.

Then there's Aio Hana ( already mentioned ), and Girl Friends ( manga ). Girl Friends is the best yuri manga I have ever read so far. Highly recommended.
Old 2009-07-19, 20:57   Link #16
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Monochrome Factor
Old 2009-07-22, 12:02   Link #17
Fate21
Kiyu~

Yeah, i've just watch Kanamemo first episode in Youtube
For complete episode(now 3 episode) watch in ZOMG Anime, you can watch Aoi Hana in there with english subs too

Last edited by Fate21; 2009-07-22 at 19:40.
Old 2009-07-24, 13:05   Link #18
catrlgirl
The catgirl

Nana was a great anime. I didn't know it was marked as Shoujou-ai though it does have strong yuri subtext.
Old 2009-07-26, 03:06   Link #19
Kazu-kun

Quote:

It exists, and it's called Aoi Hana. And I already read the manga, so I know it's actual yuri: no fanservice, no "bait and switch", the real thing!
Old 2009-07-26, 09:43   Link #20
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Checking it out.