AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-16, 02:34   Link #661
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ.Ozura View Post
Awesome ending to a great show, it was so good that i decided to read the manga to see what happens after the anime.
Let me tell you this DONT DO IT.
I want to remind you (and everyone) yet again that this is not a thread to discuss what happens later in the manga. Among other reasons, there's always a possibility of some form of anime continuation. In either case, people who wish to spoil themselves on the manga should direct themselves to the manga thread.
Old 2011-09-16, 03:58   Link #662
bigman2682003

Send a message via MSN to bigman2682003
Quote:
Awesome ending to a great show, it was so good that i decided to read the manga to see what happens after the anime.
Is it that bad?
bigman2682003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 04:52   Link #663
matapat

A good end to the series, I think they covered just about everything that needed to be covered, definitely one of the most faithful manga adaptations. If they decide to do the second half of the manga in another season I won't mind, but if not this was a nice, concise and heartwarming series with phenomenally well-developed and realistic characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman2682003 View Post
Is it that bad?
The direction it ended up going was rather...divisive amongst the fanbase, and I'll leave it at that.
matapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 06:37   Link #664
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
You realize that, given the excellence that the anime provided in terms of content, saying "Don't read the manga because it's horrible(or whatever)" is counterproductive don't you? Whether what you say is true or not, people who have watched this will want to know if the label the 2nd half has been given is warranted.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 07:03   Link #665
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^That's not counterproductive for me. By now I would have already jumped on the manga if it weren't for manga readers warning me the quality took a massive dive halfway through. It's precisely because I loved this anime so much that I'm ambivalent about reading the manga. If reading it will ruin the good memories I have of the anime, then I'd rather not do so, therefore I'm grateful for those warnings. That said, I'm afraid curiosity will eventually get the better of me.
Old 2011-09-16, 07:22   Link #666
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

To the MODS: What the heck is 'romance' doing in the tags? It should be replaced with 'slice of life'.

I really have nothing but praise for Usagi Drop. This is one of the best slice-of-life anime out there. It's sweet, it's cute, it's down-to-earth, and best of all, it's not boring!

For me, this anime was actually educational with the way it displayed the trails and obstacles that parents face when raising a child. I've been told many times by my parents how much they sacrificed in their life for me but unfortunately, it never really registered in me until I watched Usagi Drop. This anime helped show me how having children completely transforms you life and turns it upside down, arguably for the better. I still don't have any plans for having children, but I appreciate this anime's insights on the topic.

It's also nice how this anime stuck to its strengths and didn't blow up a big drama bomb near the end. While it would have been interesting for Rin to meet her mother, perhaps it was better this way seeing how well she is living with Daikichi.

And I'm so glad Production IG animated this! Their work on Usagi Drop was fantastic, especially with the colors.

8/10. Highly recommended to all slice-of-life fans, and just about anyone here above 30.

By the way, Japan needs more entertainment like this. It might inspire them to have more children and thus improve the economy.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 07:27   Link #667
User68604
Disabled By Request

i want a nitani to wife up
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 07:36   Link #668
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
i want a nitani to wife up
Oh, of course. She's a gorgeous woman, both physically and personality-wise. Daikichi is one lucky man. I could totally see the two of them marrying in the not-so-far future.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 08:06   Link #669
calorie

Normally I would have jumped on the praising boat, even if the ending was simply another slice-of-life episode, with only a small compilation of fun and heartwarming moments in the end to wrap it up.

Spoiler for Usagi Drop Episode 11:
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 09:20   Link #670
wistfulloner

Is this the last we'll see of Rin as a little girl? Not that I dislike it (she's so adorable like that) but I hope future episodes/seasons start featuring her as more of a young woman instead.

Anyway, Ep11 was a nice way to wrap up the first season. Here's hoping for more.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 11:06   Link #671
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay, I went and looked and frankly, the posts warning "don't read the manga" are 'tempests in a teapot'. The story changes tone and the ending may be unexpected to some, that's all. Personally, I had a different ending in mind, but I'm not the author - its his story and the only question is "was it told well?" which is subjective.

Just a balancer post - like the mods say, this thread is about the anime as it stands. And the anime was simply brilliant and happy as a stand-alone effort.
Old 2011-09-16, 11:15   Link #672
Kouvley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It was genuine, understated and subtly powerful right to the end.
Usagi Drop in a nutshell.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 12:43   Link #673
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

A simple, yet heartwarming end to the show. Its good that they flashback-ed some scenes from previous episodes, giving further impact to the viewers on the series.

Would love a second season. Lets hope for the best.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 12:46   Link #674
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
^That's not counterproductive for me. By now I would have already jumped on the manga if it weren't for manga readers warning me the quality took a massive dive halfway through. It's precisely because I loved this anime so much that I'm ambivalent about reading the manga. If reading it will ruin the good memories I have of the anime, then I'd rather not do so, therefore I'm grateful for those warnings. That said, I'm afraid curiosity will eventually get the better of me.
Ditto here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 14:05   Link #675
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay, I went and looked and frankly, the posts warning "don't read the manga" are 'tempests in a teapot'.
Here's a rare case where I strongly disagree with you, Vexx. Me reading the last few chapters of the manga almost ruined much of what the anime had so wonderfully set-up, having a lot of it come off in a significantly less pleasant light to me.

You're really downplaying things to simply say that "the manga ending is unexpected to some, that's all". There's a reason why it keeps popping up over and over and over again in this thread. To say its divisive within the Usagi Drop fandom is arguably an understatement.
Old 2011-09-16, 14:21   Link #676
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's divisive for two reasons:

1. The tone and plot change gears. It's a bit more serious (especially toward the end) and the key element that drew in readers (a cute story about a parent raising a child) is mostly gone.

2. The ending is controversial. I was not surprised it went in that direction, but I know exactly why people would be uncomfortable with it. My personal opinion is that when I took the story as a whole instead of thinking of it in "first half second half" terms, I found I actually enjoyed it more. This is not going to be true for everyone though, and I have much more tolerance for controversial stuff than others do....especially those unfamiliar with or who disagree with some aspects of Japanese culture.

I consider those fair warnings. The anime is great the way it is, and to be honest not much is lost if you never know "the rest of the story".
Old 2011-09-16, 15:25   Link #677
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't really see how it can "ruin the good memories of the anime" since the story is, in essence, divided into two parts. Although a story is/should be judged in its entirety, it, in a way, doesn't make sense to rejudge a previous arc because of events in a future one. If the latter half of the story was bad, then it is simply 'the first part was good, and the second part was bad', especially if it isn't one cohesive narrative.

For me, without being actually told what is wrong with the latter half, it sounds more like people are whining because it didn't turn out the way they expected. Just because others didn't like it doesn't mean I will dislike it as well. If it was something I hadn't invested time in, then yeah, it would definitely affect my interests, but something of this calibur? Nah, it just makes me want to see for myself.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 15:28   Link #678
Jenesay

And thus ends one of the best animes of the 00's. Yeah, it was that good! It was cute, simple, heart warming and above all else, pretty damn normal. There was no screaming, over the top teenagers in sight (as someone else said), no middle/high school, school life crap, no supernatural/superpowers, no contrived overproduced drama, just the daily life of a man in his early 30's, who suddenly got a child dumped upon him. And for once, I actually liked the ending episode too.

I hate it when people pull superlatives out of their asses, and the grade inflation is extremely bad when it comes to anime/mangas. But in this case, this show really deserves all the prise it gets.

Conclusion, 9.5/10. 11 Episodes is just to short though, I want more.
Jenesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-16, 15:35   Link #679
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Finally saw ep 11. I vote 8/10 for ep 11 - I especially liked the jumprope sequence.

I agree with many of the other poster's praise of the series. Overall I would give the series a 9/10 vote, I think. It was so good, and in so many ways, for me. I fully agree with the others who have said that this series can (and should imo!) stand on it's own two legs. Never mind all the discussions of manga and whether or no other people like it - everyone will have their own opinions on that. (I think it is enough to say that people had many strong different opinions about the second half and leave it at that.)

Btw ... for me this series had one of the best ED this season ... OP was okay - I guess for me it was more ... umm ... "appropriate" than anything else.
Old 2011-09-16, 16:45   Link #680
Dop
Mmmm....

Brilliant. Very much a 'life goes on' ending, and I wouldn't have wanted anything else.

I said when I saw the first episode that it was like the manga come to life, and the characters sounded just right, and I stand by that.
It was up against some tough competition, but was one of my top shows of the season.

In the meantime, I shall look forward to reading more of the manga as Yen Press release it, and will make up my own bloody mind about it!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance