AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-18, 13:57   Link #41
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

RAY MUZYKA & GREG ZESCHUK RETIRE
Best of wishes to them, but doesn't seem like a good sign for Bioware.
Old 2012-09-18, 15:09   Link #42
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Guess I'll be damned then
Never said others would be damned, only me.

He, not that I don't see your reasons.
But after all, I'd liked them still somehow. I even keept Anders alive and pissed off Sebastian in the process. Haa... zee drama.

@retirenment:
Uhh... okay... Now even my optimism in BW's future took a slight beating.
Old 2012-09-18, 15:26   Link #43
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Yep, Mass Effect 3 until the ending was a great game. Tuchanka mission was my favorite part out of all 3 game.
I hope DA3 doesn't have the useless find something and randomly give it to people quests that plagued DA2 and ME3.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 16:34   Link #44
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Guess I'll be damned then, since I disliked a good portion of DA2's companions. Anders, Merrill, Sebastian and Fenris were all detestable or at best, forgettable for me. Anders in particular, because they just passed him off to a certain writer who I won't mention, but completely disregarded his past characterization and flipped him onto his head, even when I take into consideration that he has to play host to a spirit.
I was with you there. About the only character I liked from DA2 was Varric. Now that guy was cool and entertaining. The rest were pretty forgettable. Anders stood out if only because of how they messed with his character and became incredibly annoying. I really hope they step it up for DA3. Don't think I could handle another substandard cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
So they sold their souls to EA and are now getting out of there . Certainly not a good sign.
Old 2012-09-18, 17:05   Link #45
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I hope DA3 doesn't have the useless find something and randomly give it to people quests that plagued DA2 and ME3.
I despised that in both games, it made Shepard or Hawke feel like a creeper. And those fetch quests were not fun in general.
Old 2012-09-18, 21:16   Link #46
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

DA:O's origin stories (all of them) as well as the first part of the game was really well made. Stepping into the camp makes me feel as if I am really a part of the army.

I hate having to run all around town for quests... I am more of a "want to be out there and kill stuff" guy.

What DA3 needs imo would be a lot more minibosses (not your "commander" type mob).

Taking part in the proving was also quite a memorable event.

The weapon building quest in Awakening might just be another fetch quest but the reward can be motivating.

On retirement:
I think now is a good time. It has got to happen some day: might as well as do it while not too many major projects/launch is about to happen. I doubt their departure will have negatively affect DA3 though. If anything it *might* be a good thing as the "state of the project" may remain untouched (ie: no rushed shipping) due to the change in management.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 23:06   Link #47
Key Board
Carbon

my problems with DA2 in a gist is this..

it doesn't feel like I'm playing the game
it feels like the game is playing me
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 02:31   Link #48
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
RAY MUZYKA & GREG ZESCHUK RETIRE
Best of wishes to them, but doesn't seem like a good sign for Bioware.
Meh. Bioware stopped being Bioware after they sold out to EA. I'm convinced that neither of them had any real input after that point anyways. Either that, or they were suffering from serious bi-polar disorder after the buyout.

Why can't more gaming execs be like Gabe from Valve?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 03:38   Link #49
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Meh. Bioware stopped being Bioware after they sold out to EA. I'm convinced that neither of them had any real input after that point anyways. Either that, or they were suffering from serious bi-polar disorder after the buyout.
They were senior VPs in charge of MMO/RPG development at EA, which is why Mythic got merged into BioWare. They didn't not have input, they had almost absolute power apart from having to listen to the board.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 15:46   Link #50
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm another person in the minority as to actually liking DA2 (though the ending was kind of WTF, it's not nearly as WTF and horrible as ME3's ending pre-Extended Cut) so I'm curious as to what'll happen here.

Definitely not preordering though, and if they pull the usual EA "slice the game up and sell chunks as DLC" nonsense I'll probably just pass and play indie games and obscure JRPGs from now on.

To those who didn't like DA2 for gameplay reasons try playing with mods. The mods that let you control party members' equipment, the mods that unnerf blood magic, the mods that give mages more powerful single-target spells so you can actually effectively play a mage on higher difficulties and mods that reduce the reliance mages have on cross-class combos (it's really bad when my rogue!Hawke would do 14,000 damage in one attack, sometimes up to 60,000 damage in one attack, while my mage!Hawke never could do more than a few thousand), all of these mods make the game much more fun to play (especially as a mage).

Doesn't fix the plot being iffy though especially at the end. I still think choosing sides should have had more of a difference in how the end played out, and I wish killing "the terrorist" was handled less as an afterthought and more as an effective dramatic device.
Old 2012-09-19, 16:34   Link #51
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
To be fair, in the DA universe magic is not only ostracized, but it is a full on controlled substance. That's why most mage items were hard to find.
They can still go around this by setting up a black market of sorts, or having mages sell stuff outside the cities and whatnot. In the end, I just hope the developers don't rely on this to avoid making more stuff for mages.

Oh, and please no more helmets. Go for tiaras, hairbands, small hats or anything else that doesn't fully cover the character's head.
Old 2012-09-19, 16:51   Link #52
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
They can still go around this by setting up a black market of sorts, or having mages sell stuff outside the cities and whatnot. In the end, I just hope the developers don't rely on this to avoid making more stuff for mages.
Wasn't their a quest in Origins for moving raw lyrium (?) from the Dwarf mines to the Mages Tower? I think that was the only such black market mage quest (besides fighting opponents of the Circle)...

As a side note, much the same as DA2 had a fixed PC (though you could choose the class) in order to tell a specific story, I wonder if DA3 will be designed so that you have to play as a mage...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 20:33   Link #53
Key Board
Carbon

I think the title suggest that you are forced to play an Inquisitor

so.. something like a Templar, maybe?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-09-19, 20:59   Link #54
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

Or just referring to the overall situation with the Templar/Mage war that was triggered in DA2. Don't think they'd limit you that much by making you a Templar.
Old 2012-09-19, 21:29   Link #55
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i didnt like DA2 at all, i was expecting alot out of it, they ditched the character creation races which i loved about DA1 and the story sucked, the only good thing about it was Flemeth ^^ she was epic

im hoping they correct it with this new one
Old 2012-09-20, 00:37   Link #56
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

Doubt it. It's likely you'll have ties to the Chantry, but a highly defined role like that? That'd anger a lot of the fanbase, or whatever's left of it. It's likely that they'll go human again, though.

Best case scenario for character creation in my opinion, aside from facial/physical customization:

-Elves, Dwarves return. Qunari somehow become playable.
-Backgrounds such as Noble, Commoner; etc, return. New backgrounds such as refugee or war veteran make an appearance.
-Gender (this one is a given, especially since it's a Bioware game; don't want feminists to take up arms)
-Choosing you homeland is an option. You can choose to be a Ferelden, a citizen of the Free Marches, an Antivan, Orlesian, Tevinter; etc. Much like Origins backgrounds, it influences your starting skill and provides a slight boost depending on your race. For instance, Antivans would gain bonuses to rogue skills/talents, whereas Tevinters would obviously be more magically inclined.
-Class (another given)

Last edited by Who; 2012-09-20 at 10:56.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 08:01   Link #57
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

I'm guessing that being an Inquisitor is like being a Spectre or a Grey Warden without shorting your life span. You can flaunt around some privileges and recruit people for your cause without other people shaking thier heads too much.

And yeah, definitly would love more character creation options again.
Old 2012-09-20, 10:30   Link #58
Destined_Fate

Well DA2 took out a lot of character choices compared to DA1, so I wont be surpriesd at all if we're in a defined human role like Hawke was again.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:07   Link #59
Key Board
Carbon

I'm willing to accept a default human character

what upsets me about DA2 is how linear it was compared to the first Dragon Age

that, and most of your party members being annoying idiots
Old 2012-09-22, 12:53   Link #60
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

DA:O has what I refer to as a "fake open world": while you have a lot of freedom as where you should go, you have to eventually do them all, and because of difficulty you are much better off doing the mage towers first.

I also dislike the "zone level lock". That the zone would be scaled to the level that you first visited. I believe the reasoning is so you can return on a later date and easily overcome past challenges.

I believe zones should have constant scaling. Acquiring of new equipment and abilities, as well as an increase of player skill should be sufficient enough. Each zone should probably have a pre-defined difficulty. Ie: the early zones should always "feel easy" regardless of levels, while the zones towards the end of the game should always be challenging. If people find something too difficult they can always turn down the difficulty slider.

Bioware needs to learn from From studio (Dark Souls) on level design. I like the integrated puzzles and secrets, as well as how well mobs fit into certain zones (giants that can knock you off small platforms, and ghosts that can ambush through walls for example).

For true difficulty to happen, bioware needs to spend more time on balance. Once a warrior in DA2 gets the "core skills" they become this unstoppable meatgrinder. As a somewhat hardcore gamer, I want to be able to optimize my choices and still feel that I barely got through a zone.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote