AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-04-07, 20:02   Link #361
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I full-throatedly disagree with any list that puts RDG in the "trash tier". Just because it wasn't popular with the masses doesn't mean it wasn't a damn fine show.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 02:54   Link #362
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I don't mean to offend anyone who likes Red Data Girl, but I don't think it's a bad series in the same way your stock standard light novel adaptation trainwreck is bad, but bad because it was for me very boring, forgettable and I don't remember anything about it. In fact, it's the only PA Works series to this day which I haven't finished to this day... I am pretty much apathetic to it. And an apathy an be arguably worse than disgust or rage.

It wasn't just the pacing issues, but I felt nothing for the characters and I felt nothing for the fantasy world that was presented. And no, I'm don't dislike modern fantasy by any means because I could rave on how amazing Uchouten Kazoku, PA Works' other fantasy based series, was.

I mean I could go on for pages on why I think Angel Beats is a piece of garbage, but boring is definitely not how I would describe it. Abomination and trainwreck would be better words and because of that entertaining to an extent...
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 14:44   Link #363
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hmm, that's weird. Red Data Girl came out? I remember seeing a trailer way back though I fell asleep halfway through.

If I were to tier em

Both TT, I assume Uchouten though I didn't finish yet.

Near top
Hana Saku Iroha Movie, True Tours

Mid
Angel Beats, Hana Saku Iroha

Low
Canaan

Lol
Another

My conclusion is to only watch PA Works shows that can have TT as an Acronym. Also fuck MAL ratings.

Interestingly, there is no PA works show, I'd consider merely "good". The top/near top I'd equate to a personal 8 or 8.5/10 (great to excellent), near top are movies and specials so they don't usually get mentioned, and then mid is like 6 or 6.5/10 (not too bad, but with jarring issues). I suppose I've never seen anything awful from them though with the exception of that Angel Beats OVA (wtf was that?) but that's generally irrelevant.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-04-10 at 15:09.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:00   Link #364
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Hanasaku Iroha - 8.5/10
Uchouten Kazoku - 8.1/10

True Tears - 7.6/10
Canaan - 7.5/10
Red Data Girl - 7.4/10
Angel Beats - 7.3/10
Tari Tari - 7.2/10
Another - 7.0/10.
Nagi no Asukara: 7.6/10

Meh...sounds about right...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 15:18   Link #365
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

As a curious note, I think I read somewhere that the Another anime is a lot different from the source material. At the same time, I remember that True Tears has nothing to do with the visual novel. What is with that I wonder? Is there a preference towards original anime?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-04-10, 17:08   Link #366
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Lol
Another
It never occured to me to introduce a lol-tier, but Another is such a perfect fit.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-10, 17:28   Link #367
TJR

Quote:
As a curious note, I think I read somewhere that the Another anime is a lot different from the source material. At the same time, I remember that True Tears has nothing to do with the visual novel. What is with that I wonder? Is there a preference towards original anime?
Another is a faithful adaptation, but there are some creative liberties (mainly to increase sex appeal and violence - once again, Tsutomu Mizushima demonstrated his knack for campy, fetishized gore) that viewers love to hate. As for True Tears, it's more or less a recycled property. The producers killed adaptation plans, but reused the name/license instead of cancelling the project outright.

Nevertheless, it's true that P.A. Works prioritizes original anime.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 10:15   Link #368
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Other than Izumi's role getting beefed up, Another's a very faithful adaptation until the last few episodes when the anime goes into Final Destination mode. Which, not coincidentally, is the point where most people think the show loses it.

And isn't Canaan pretty much an original story despite being linked to something Type Moon did?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 12:25   Link #369
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

I like a lot of PA works.
Old 2014-08-08, 07:12   Link #370
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Here's a partnership I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see again - Mizushima and P.A. Works.
Old 2014-08-08, 07:22   Link #371
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Here's a partnership I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see again - Mizushima and P.A. Works.
Perhaps this time they won't an anime that is focused on a group of friends near a seaside town with romantic angst and drama etc. etc.

But they desperately need a hit in terms of DVD/Bluray sales. The last one was Tari Tari which was Summer 2012. Otherwise I have no idea how they are funding anime original after anime original.
Old 2014-08-08, 07:52   Link #372
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Uchouten and NagiAsu probably did just about well enough to pay for themselves.
Old 2014-08-08, 07:53   Link #373
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think Uchouten and NagiAsu probably did just about well enough to pay for themselves.
I don't think breaking even (or thereabouts) is a hit though ...
Old 2014-08-08, 08:00   Link #374
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, but at least it's not a disaster. PAW tends to partner with big guns like Bandai and Geneon, so maybe they're getting a lot of risk-averse financing for all these original shows.
Old 2014-08-08, 11:23   Link #375
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It looks like PAW does a lot of in-betweening and key animation as a subcontractor as well. We tend to forget about all that stuff and focus on studios' productions, but I'd bet contract work is what keeps smaller studios alive.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-08, 13:23   Link #376
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

They do seem to follow up with safer works when they have unsuccessful works. True Tears and stuff that came after it weren't very successful and came Angel Beats which while generic and derivative had the hype and big names and guarantee for financial success. And then you had bombs like Another followed by the much more conventional and safer Tari Tari. And then a more safer (though sadly not as well sold work) Nagisau came after Uchouten Kazoku's low sales as well as whatever the heck the other anime was. Such tactics are prudent. It's fair to take a bit more risk but then retreat when it's not going that well. I mean, much like in Starcraft, if your proxy gateways fail, you can always play the macro game if you did damage so you may feign pressure instead of wasting it. Though I made a joke during Uchouten's run to certain friends that the crossdressing was obviously the equivalent of an Okada-signal summoning for their next show and then it actually happened. Though it was more coincidence most likely, it's more funny to put it that way since it seems like stuff is more organized when Okada is involved, or at least I find it more enjoyable. Only two non-Okada originals thus far. One was great (tari)but fairly conventional, and there's Glasslip soooo...

Please don't take this post that seriously. I like to make obscure references because it's totally funny to people that get it and useless to other people. Someone should send a memo to them that it's not a good idea to capture a wide audience (I mean if you didn't see True Tears, what do the chickens in Glasslip do anyways? Mawawaru Chickendrum?)

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2014-08-11, 12:39   Link #377
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Perhaps this time they won't an anime that is focused on a group of friends near a seaside town with romantic angst and drama etc. etc.

But they desperately need a hit in terms of DVD/Bluray sales. The last one was Tari Tari which was Summer 2012. Otherwise I have no idea how they are funding anime original after anime original.
I think it's obvious by now -- PA Works is in the pocket of the Japanese tourist industry. Small towns across Japan bid to be the location of their next series.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-02, 01:39   Link #378
Pocari_Sweat

So, Glasslip has finished so it's time for a ranking update! This was my old list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Top Tier

1. True Tears
2. Uchouten Kazoku

Great Tier

3. Tari Tari
4. Hanasaku Iroha

Mid Tier

5. Canaan
6. Another
7. Nagi no Asu Kara

Trash Tier

8. Red Data Girl
9. Angel Beats
And my new List:

Top Tier

1. True Tears
2. Tari Tari

Great Tier

3. Uchouten Kazoku
4. Hanasaku Iroha

Mid Tier

5. Canaan
6. Another
7. Nagi no Asu Kara

Trash Tier

8. Red Data Girl
9. Angel Beats
10. Glasslip

Congratulations Glasslip. You have managed the feat of being the worst PA Works anime ever to be made. Quite a feat considering I already dislike Angel Beats A LOT. Get your s*** together jeez...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2014-10-02 at 01:47. Reason: Made some additional ranking adjustments.
Old 2014-10-02, 02:27   Link #379
Dextro
He Without a Title

What made Tari Tari jump so up in the ranking?
Old 2014-10-02, 07:39   Link #380
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Perhaps its genuine approach towards the drama without the heavy-handed or manipulative storytelling, Tari Tari managed to be better than sum of its parts. For this, I keep watching the director to see where he goes next. True, his work Soul Eater Not was disappointing but that was just an adaptation, so I feel the director deserves the praise for how he handled the anime. Normally, I don't even like musicals but it sure was entertaining.

Tags
p.a. works, studios