AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-03, 19:37   Link #361
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuryu_Hikaru View Post
Yeah, I read about Simoun and watched one episode, but unfortunately, it didn't do it for me. Maybe I should give it a second look.
I watched Simoun for like 11 ep before I gave up. That show just doesn't interest people. This director always has this problem. Putting on some show which seemly (Yami bon with a giant hat thing) or really (Simoun) have good story plot but puff, it is just hard to relate to the show itself.
Blue Drop is the first yuri sci-fi anime, I think. Yami bon whatever is fantasy yuri show. I don't know what to make of it yet. I really enjoy the sci-fi part, just like Crest of the Stars. I like that show. Unfortunately, I was never able to watch the entire series but I made sure that I watched the ending.
Old 2007-11-03, 19:40   Link #362
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
All the people calling Blue Drop "great yuri" really, really need to read the manga

I may be stating the obvious, but it seems to me that Hagino's fixation on Mari is something like an atonement. I guess if she feels that if she can do something good for someone who was deeply hurt by her actions, she'll feel a bit better about herself.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-11-03, 19:47   Link #363
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
All the people calling Blue Drop "great yuri" really, really need to read the manga

Is is obligatory? What is the penality for those who just care about the anime?
Hakuryu_Hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 19:48   Link #364
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Yeah, I read about Simoun and watched one episode, but unfortunately, it didn't do it for me. Maybe I should give it a second look.... I won't give a second look to Strawberry Panic for one. I found it deeply irritating and non-sensical for several reasons I don't feel like mentioning....
It sounds to me as if you should try at least one more episode of Simoun. I think it might end up being the kind of thing you like. Episode one didn't do it for a lot of people, even some who went on to like the series. (Although I love it, especially in the light of the rest of the story.) Strawberry Panic is okay in its way, but it's yuri of a totally different type, aimed more directly at guys, and with a lot more fanservice and less real plot or character than Simoun or this. There's more fanservice in the OP and episode one of Simoun than in the whole rest of the show, as far as I recall. And "homosexuality" is a fairly meaniningless concept in that world, too, where everyone is born female and some become male at 17.

But I do like a lot of shows with yuri relationships in them (e.g., Marimite, and even Oniisama-e) so your mileage may vary.

FPB, as far as "great yuri" is concerned, I'd say that the mangas are more "yuri", but the anime so far is more "great."

And guest, Simoun is not by the same director as Yamibou or Touka Gettan (I haven't seen much of Yamibou, but I liked TG). All three shows have the same animation director and sound director, but Simoun is by a different director from the other two. If you watched ep8 and still weren't captivated, then Simoun definitely wasn't the show for you. However, I agree with what you say in the spoiler about Hagino's feelings in ep5 (if not before).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-11-03 at 20:26.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 20:22   Link #365
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Good lord, I go to run errands for the day and I come back to some interesting commentary.
Quote:
All the people calling Blue Drop "great yuri" really, really
need to read the manga
Well the first manga is what I call "yuri lite". Sure it has Yui and the teacher with a Yui-fixation but overall, I'm missing the deep romantic connection that I personally associate with "yuri". The serialised manga is just too painful to even read. I had to wash out my eyes and brain repeatedly after reading the first few chapters. I agree with Kaoru's explanation...SP was ok but I really wasn't expecting much from it to start with. I found the anime enjoyable but not fantastic. Let's just say it was mindless fun (Thanks to Kazu-kun, btw, for the link that answers my question to some extent.)

Insofar as Simoun was concerned, I'm sure it was an excellent anime. But it didn't really capture my interest in the manner I thought it would. To be honest, I would be hard pressed to find the reasons WHY it never held my attention. *shrug*

The seiyuu cast for Blue Drop is indeed impressive. My personal favourite is Watanabe Akeno (who played Jo in Bakuretsu Tenshi, is Akane in Blue Drop and played other notable parts such as Chachamaru in Mahou Sensei Negima, Robin Sena in Witch Hunter Robin, etc.). She has this tendency to refer to herself as boku which I find completely amazing...very masculine and I wonder if that's a rare thing among female seiyuu (I'd imagine it would be).
Old 2007-11-03, 21:19   Link #366
Hakuryu_Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I[...]owever, I agree with what you say in the spoiler about Hagino's feelings in ep5 (if not before).
Well, what sold BD to me is transformation. Change. People *learn* stuff as the story develops. They may start with flaws but learn to deal with them. It's o up to the bad guys *not* to learn anything. And get doomed because of that.
Some characters have to learn the real meaning of love, for one.
Mari obviously changed. She hated school but as she was walking with Micchi, she goes and says that people like her make school fun. Personally, that's what any story is about. Many anime, independent of genre, start great until the main character plays the same gag for the 100th time. Tons of things happen but the character stays at exactly the same level of cluelessness than he/she was on chapter/episode one. For me, it's boring.
And yes, I find it sad that for many yuri=fanboy service. I haven't seem much if any of this in BD so, another reason for me to enjoy it.
Old 2007-11-03, 23:26   Link #367
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Is is obligatory? What is the penality for those who just care about the anime?
Well, none, really. I'm just saying that the yuri aspect of the story may not turn out the way people are expecting due to a theme the manga has going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post
The serialised manga is just too painful to even read. I had to wash out my eyes and brain repeatedly after reading the first few chapters.
I felt the exact same way, too, until I realized something: the pr0n in Blue Drop is used to the same effect as the ultraviolence in titles like Battle Angel Alita. It's supposed to bother you. The author intended for you to be disturbed by it, because it's there to illustrate just how far humanity has fallen.
[/$0.02]
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 00:16   Link #368
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I felt the exact same way, too, until I realized something: the pr0n in Blue Drop is used to the same effect as the ultraviolence in titles like Battle Angel Alita. It's supposed to bother you. The author intended for you to be disturbed by it, because it's there to illustrate just how far humanity has fallen.
[/$0.02]
I agree it's disturbing, but to be honest I don't feel it's to show how far humanity has fallen as much as how humanity has been changed by the introduction of the Arume. After the first few chapters you realize there is more to the story than just boy turned into girl and does gross things, and you notice the layers of society (in glimpses of course) that go beyond the homosexual element. For instance, men crossdressing is something I could see happening in a society where women are more desired than men. They would do it to fit in better.

To me I see the events of Bokura (and Blue Drop in general), as a big what if story, using shock elements and the introduction of the Arume as a major influence/catalyst in the perceptions of standards we have as humans.

Certainly frowned upon or deemed unacceptable in our societal view, but putting yourself in the shoes of the stories characters helps to illustrate the shift in thinking one would need to undertake in an extreme situation such as the one we're discussing now.
Old 2007-11-04, 00:46   Link #369
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Ah, "fallen" was a bad choice of words. You said it better. Glad I'm not the only one who caught onto all of that

I'll add that the interesting thing is that some people have still held onto the old views of society despite the drastic changes, but that they still try to adapt as best as they can, even if it means going against their own beliefs/morals.

Hmm... I wonder if this is too much manga for this thread...
Old 2007-11-04, 01:01   Link #370
Hakuryu_Hikaru

It's been 5 episodes into the show and I am yet to see any similarity between the storyline of the manga and that of the anime, except for the background story.
For what I read, the Anime events happen around a thousand years before the events described in the manga.
So, why exactly are we still discussing the manga in the Anime forum?
Old 2007-11-04, 12:50   Link #371
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It's been 5 episodes into the show and I am yet to see any similarity between the storyline of the manga and that of the anime, except for the background story.
For what I read, the Anime events happen around a thousand years before the events described in the manga.
So, why exactly are we still discussing the manga in the Anime forum?
Just to be nitpicky... The thousand-years gap is between the anime and the original Blue Drop manga. Here people is talking about the Bokura manga (the new one), and the gap between this one and the anime is just of 10 years.
Old 2007-11-04, 13:08   Link #372
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Just to be nitpicky... The thousand-years gap is between the anime and the original Blue Drop manga. Here people is talking about the Bokura manga (the new one), and the gap between this one and the anime is just of 10 years.
Hmm...
*Heaves this discussion back onto the anime*
Hopefully the anime will run right up to the beginning of the Bokura time period. The anime is great opportunity to show if that war was as bad as I think it was.
Old 2007-11-04, 14:23   Link #373
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
question - i see a few versions of the manga scanalated but just how do they fit together? are they even based on the same timeline or some alternate versions of each other? and exactally how many volumes are out?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 14:46   Link #374
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
question - i see a few versions of the manga scanalated but just how do they fit together? are they even based on the same timeline or some alternate versions of each other? and exactally how many volumes are out?
You should probably ask this question in the Blue Drop manga thread: however, there is only one full volume published. The Blue Drop Tenshi no Bokura is being serialised in the shounen magazine, Champion Red.
Old 2007-11-06, 17:46   Link #375
Lesca

Has anyone seen episode 6?

Spoiler for Ep 6:
Old 2007-11-06, 19:39   Link #376
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Spoiler for ep6:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 12:00   Link #377
darlliu

Spoiler for ep6:

Last edited by darlliu; 2007-11-07 at 12:22.
darlliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 13:59   Link #378
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I am going through serious withdraw no subs for the anime for a while now. So i started reading the manga instead im liking it so far reading the post in here is helping me understand things a lot better.
Old 2007-11-07, 17:10   Link #379
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesca View Post
Has anyone seen episode 6?
Yes. In this show the blushing goes up to 11!

On the upside, we get more of Hagino in uniform. I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 17:36   Link #380
Lesca

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlliu View Post
Spoiler for ep6:
Spoiler for Ep 6:

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri