Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-11-04, 22:03   Link #1
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Red Dawn Remake

Never thought I do see this film being remade

Russia....I mean China....I mean North Korea invade suburban America. Red army march through Colorado vs plucky teenagers with guns.

Any red blooded Americans going to see this? Free Jingoism for everybody!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/

ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 22:22   Link #2
Sumeragi
Banned

Well, supposedly it is an East Asian coalition, with DPRK in charge of the location of the movie.

I think the scenes would be nice for several purposes. Can't wait.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 22:26   Link #3
GDB

Thor vs the North Koreans!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 22:43   Link #4
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Thor vs the North Koreans!
Is Thor even an American?
Old 2012-11-04, 22:46   Link #5
james0246

No offense, but North Korean troops are in no way scary or potentially intimidating (even in a potentially AU America). The movie didn't have the balls to use the Chinese as the antagonists (and what's worse, the villains were changed in post-production, so the villains were filmed as Chinese, everyone thought they were Chinese, but now they are North Korean), so I really do not care to see this obviously neutered remake even if Chirs Hemsworth will be shirtless (sadly, Adrianne Palicki shirtless is only interesting in theory, in practice the results seem less than stellar).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 22:48   Link #6
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Well, supposedly it is an East Asian coalition, with DPRK in charge of the location of the movie.

I think the scenes would be nice for several purposes. Can't wait.
Actually it was suppose to be China, but then, Chinese government rumbled a little. MGM can read the tea-leafs and know if this film show China as the chief villain, they can bet their chances to distribute any future films in China to go up in smoke for years. Given how bad MGM is in debt, it wouldn't be wise.

Not to mention it would probably annoy the Chinese American community to no end either. After all, movies has a tendency to raise race-fear and violence...just ask the blacks, and Jews.
Old 2012-11-04, 23:13   Link #7
willx
Nyaaan~~

Ah, the movie that inspired: http://www.homefront-game.com/

For those that haven't played it, basically Kim Jong Il dies and Kim Jong Un takes over and works out a deal to re-unite the two Koreas (Coreas). The U.S. goes into significant decline due to a massive financial crisis, and China collapses due to civil unrest. While the rest of the world is at their weakest, the United Korea annexes Japan (and the rest of S.E. Asia) to form the Greater Korean Republic .. And launches ECM weapons against the U.S. and invades..

And everyone above is right, it was supposed to be China, but people chickened out.. The original was the soviet union.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 23:22   Link #8
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Personally, I think it's hard to improve upon the original.

Seems like any remake would tend more towards generic action flick and lose some of the charm of the original.

Last edited by NinjaRealist; 2012-11-05 at 17:53.
NinjaRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 23:23   Link #9
kyp275
Meh

it was a so-so game. Interesting premise, but at its core just another copy-pasta FPS.

Here's hoping the movie will do better
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 07:40   Link #10
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Why didn't they just do an alternative history where the USSR didn't collapse and just have the Soviets invade America? The Soviets are cooler anyway.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 07:49   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
No offense, but North Korean troops are in no way scary or potentially intimidating (even in a potentially AU America). The movie didn't have the balls to use the Chinese as the antagonists (and what's worse, the villains were changed in post-production, so the villains were filmed as Chinese, everyone thought they were Chinese, but now they are North Korean), so I really do not care to see this obviously neutered remake even if Chirs Hemsworth will be shirtless (sadly, Adrianne Palicki shirtless is only interesting in theory, in practice the results seem less than stellar).
B-but....They execute people with mortars!
Old 2012-11-05, 08:09   Link #12
Ridwan

And they also breed this kind of inhumane child guitarists !

Old 2012-11-05, 08:39   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

While the training may be child abuse, it's still not as disturbing as Psy...
Old 2012-11-05, 11:04   Link #14
Sumeragi
Banned

If I was living in the invaded areas, I rather be under PRC occupation than DPRK. What people don't seem to realize is that the KPA is even more brutal and extreme than the SS, Red Army, and Red Guards combined together. While the reason for the change is commercial, from a story point of view it also makes sense to use the KPA than the PLA to show bloody occupation.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 11:14   Link #15
willx
Nyaaan~~

The game "Homefront" is completely over the top and plays on too many "heart strings" and outrage moments, but it does show a picture of a horrifying occupation by the "Republic of Korea".

I think the game literally starts with you being shoved into a make-shift prison bus and riding through an occupied neighbourhood, where people are getting executed and a woman is screaming: "No..! My kids..! Don't watch, baby, don't watc-.. *BANG*" -- but as people above said, it was lackluster in the actual gameplay department. (They also had a game section where you were fighting against crazy survivalist hicks with lots of guns ..)

I remain cautiously optimistic about this movie
Old 2012-11-05, 12:49   Link #16
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
No offense, but North Korean troops are in no way scary or potentially intimidating (even in a potentially AU America). The movie didn't have the balls to use the Chinese as the antagonists (and what's worse, the villains were changed in post-production, so the villains were filmed as Chinese, everyone thought they were Chinese, but now they are North Korean), so I really do not care to see this obviously neutered remake even if Chris Hemsworth will be shirtless (sadly, Adrianne Palicki shirtless is only interesting in theory, in practice the results seem less than stellar).
Agreed. What's the point of reapeating Homefront in a movie format this time?

The first time I heard about this remake being filmed, it was clear in broad daylight that it would be the Chinese leading the occupation (I can still find the photos from the set when it was filmed), and it would have made more sense to me since China DO have the manpower and resources to do that. MGM lost their balls along the way when it came to the PRC and completely forgot that the PRC, in real life, is only one ultranationalist government away of being willing to invade anyone.

If we have seen so many video games with storylines where Russia was taken over by an ultranationalist body in the government and then waited for a perfect opportunity to strike at the West, I don't know why the same can't be applied for the PRC. It's about fiction, but at least make it believable.

P.S. Even if the KPA is a bunch of savages, let's not forget that what happened in Tien An Men is also something marking people's minds about what the PLA can do for a living when it comes to actions against civilians.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 13:07   Link #17
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
it would have made more sense to me since China DO have the manpower and resources to do that.
Actually, the premise that China has the capability to invade the US is only slightly marginally less improbable than an invasion by N.Korea.

Manpower wise both China and N.Korea have sufficient numbers to mount an invasion, but both lacks the ability (a real blue water navy and a capable logistical arm) for any meaningful force projection. China can't even cross the strait to invade Taiwan, much less across the Pacific to invade the US. The only reason that the idea is marginally less crazy for China is that they at least have the economic base (though not the technical expertise) to develop those capabilities in the future, a very far future as things stands right now.

With that in mind, considering that the whole lynchpin of the movie's premise resides on a DEM (an ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US! lolmagicalsuperEMPstrike), N.Korea is just as good as China

or Russia, or Iran, or anyone tbh
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-05, 13:30   Link #18
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Agreed. What's the point of reapeating Homefront in a movie format this time?

The first time I heard about this remake being filmed, it was clear in broad daylight that it would be the Chinese leading the occupation (I can still find the photos from the set when it was filmed), and it would have made more sense to me since China DO have the manpower and resources to do that. MGM lost their balls along the way when it came to the PRC and completely forgot that the PRC, in real life, is only one ultranationalist government away of being willing to invade anyone.

If we have seen so many video games with storylines where Russia was taken over by an ultranationalist body in the government and then waited for a perfect opportunity to strike at the West, I don't know why the same can't be applied for the PRC. It's about fiction, but at least make it believable.

P.S. Even if the KPA is a bunch of savages, let's not forget that what happened in Tien An Men is also something marking people's minds about what the PLA can do for a living when it comes to actions against civilians.

Why is Tiananmen always cited as PLA savagery, but when the Tiawanese do a armed crackdown kill 10,000-30,000, is never mentioned in the history books? :P
Old 2012-11-05, 13:31   Link #19
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Why is Tiananmen always cited as PLA savagery, but when the Tiawanese do a armed crackdown kill 10,000-30,000, is never mentioned in the history books? :P
Because of this picture:

This picture captured the imagination of an entire generation. That picture speaks a thousand, or a million, or .. however many words..
Old 2012-11-05, 13:41   Link #20
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Because of this picture:

This picture captured the imagination of an entire generation. That picture speaks a thousand, or a million, or .. however many words..
However, you forgot the part where the Tanks didn't run him down...

Regardless how I feel about the communist party (read: Not great), but it was 89 where communist governments was fall apart world wide.

While I certainly agree most of the crackdown was meant to keep the party in power, it also saved china from turning into another Balkan or degenerate into the good old days of Warlordism. And since 1989, both the economy and freedom of speech improved, even if it is not up to western standards.

Still, why does no one mention 228 incident? I guess it is not an massacre if it was done by a Western sponsored government?