AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-22, 21:40   Link #4301
henzaeroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Can Maya's Meteor Line destroy cities and potentially change the tides of war? No. As amazing and deadly her magic is, it simply isn't on the same scale as Deep Abyss. We've discussed this before, being Strategic-class does not mean you'll kick ass in one-on-one combat. Mio is a sick paraplegiac for crying out loud and her magic takes an even greater toll on her body. Anything can happen during a battle and compatibility of abilities are very important. Just because person A can beat person B and Person B can beat Person C does not mean Person A can beat person C. Although that last example does not really apply to this situation.

Speaking of Deep Abyss, this got me thinking. Her magic is useless against aerial attacks and to some degree terrestial attacks. With the advent of flight magic, is it possible we might see something fantastical and science fiction-like like a flying warship in the future?
actually i was strengthens the argument about strategic class magician and i absolutely agree with you
Old 2013-04-22, 21:54   Link #4302
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Speaking of Deep Abyss, this got me thinking. Her magic is useless against aerial attacks and to some degree terrestial attacks. With the advent of flight magic, is it possible we might see something fantastical and science fiction-like like a flying warship in the future?
Remember the part where Tatsuya mused that the age where super robot anime will become true in the future? I have little doubts that flying warship will appear later

Old 2013-04-22, 23:17   Link #4303
Occulus
〜(^∇^〜) (〜^∇^)〜

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
With the advent of flight magic, is it possible we might see something fantastical and science fiction-like like a flying warship in the future?
Well, Magicians would have to be constantly loopcasting magic so it would be kinda inefficient (magicians would run out of psions and be replaced constantly so you made need squads of magicians taking shifts in order to float something). However, if Tatsuya manages to make a device that can store magic systems, then yes, it may be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzaeroz View Post
actually i was strengthens the argument about strategic class magician and i absolutely agree with you
Um, what's your argument again? Since I don't really see how his explanation supported how Maya should be a strategic magician? Mio is a strategic class magician because she can significantly effect the results of wars. Maya is not because she can probably only kill a couple people at a time.

It's kind of like the difference between a country's most skilled soldier and being the only person who can fire a nuclear weapon. Sure, in a 1 vs 1 fight, the spec-ops soldier could probably defeat the nuclear arms operator. However, in a war, the nuclear arms operator is definitely the bigger and scarier threat. Note: This assumes the operator is the only one that can use a nuclear weapon and once the operator is dead, the weapon can't be used.

Last edited by Occulus; 2013-04-22 at 23:30.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:33   Link #4304
bukisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumalkatar View Post
thanks for the answer.
one more thing. i remember reading summary of the web arc. is it true that one of the Registered Strategic-class magician is the big boss of Blanche? since I remember the big boss of Blanche is one of the 13 apostle.
No, it's only mention that the big boss of Blanche is one of the Sage not Apostle.
Old 2013-04-22, 23:55   Link #4305
henzaeroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
Um, what's your argument again? Since I don't really see how his explanation supported how Maya should be a strategic magician? Mio is a strategic class magician because she can significantly effect the results of wars. Maya is not because she can probably only kill a couple people at a time.

It's kind of like the difference between a country's most skilled soldier and being the only person who can fire a nuclear weapon. Sure, in a 1 vs 1 fight, the spec-ops soldier could probably defeat the nuclear arms operator. However, in a war, the nuclear arms operator is definitely the bigger and scarier threat. Note: This assumes the operator is the only one that can use a nuclear weapon and once the operator is dead, the weapon can't be used.
no no, i mean that was reader assumption ( because i think the author never stated any reason why a magic became a strategic class ) . but i absolutely agree Strategic Magician is because their Area of Effect and the damage cause by the magic. ( IMHO )

so to strengthen the argument, i made comparison between Maya and Mio to explain this question.
Quote:
-Is 'Meteor Line' considered as Strategic-Class Magic? since it makes Maya become known as Maou of the East or something.

i say Maya is a really strong magician yet she isn't a strategic class

but in the other hand mio is a strategic class magician but i think she isn't really good in combat

from the comparison we can say Strategic Class magic is about Area of Effect and the damage cause by the magic.

sorry for my bad english
Old 2013-04-23, 05:23   Link #4306
Windknight111
Guardian Of The Wind

Doesnt Strategic Class Magic also have something to do with distance?
Old 2013-04-23, 05:30   Link #4307
NeutralZero

Distance may be an added factor...
but its probably more to raw power and usefulness
Old 2013-04-23, 05:31   Link #4308
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknight111 View Post
Since strategic-class magics are basically different types of magic Nukes, I'd assume one would want to stay as far away from them as possible.
Old 2013-04-23, 05:57   Link #4309
Ultragunner

if a strategic magic can't be used at a reasonable distance then wouldn't the the caster (and properbly their allies) get caught it it? So I reckon distance do have some role in strategic magics. Also, the magician him/herself must have good control over their magic so that it can be called "strategic" at all
Old 2013-04-23, 07:01   Link #4310
henzaeroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknight111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
yes, probably distance and raw power
Old 2013-04-23, 08:05   Link #4311
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
That is something i have to disagree with you.
Tomahawk is a strategic weapon mainly for their range.

Add a possibility, an option to the plans are far more important than raw power. If you play something like DotA, you can relate to it. (i know it from my father- a colone and my mother is a doctor... kinda irony in one sense.)

Oh yeah, not everyone in war-class have Area Of Effect nuke as big as Tatsuya's so it's hardly the case of your impression.
You remember the LN's part aobut the Russian war-class magician mobilization, he ability is not as impressive as Lina but have larger AOE so they have him taken some new experience to re-valuate the strategic value of AOE-type war-mag.

Last edited by bietchie11; 2013-04-23 at 09:08.
Old 2013-04-23, 08:09   Link #4312
synbios

from MKR vol 8 chap 15 As she said, Strategic Class magicians, individuals wielding power comparable to weapons of mass destruction, were of great interest to many major powers and of greater interest to their magicians
Old 2013-04-23, 08:15   Link #4313
henzaeroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
That is something i have to disagree with you.
Tomahawk is a strategic weapon mainly for their range.
who use Tomahawk magic ?
Old 2013-04-23, 08:33   Link #4314
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
who use Tomahawk magic ?
He means the real Tomahawk missile.
Old 2013-04-23, 08:56   Link #4315
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Quote:
who use Tomahawk magic ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
He means the real Tomahawk missile.
The awkward moment when you can't separate the real life with the fantasy.

Last edited by bietchie11; 2013-04-23 at 10:07.
Old 2013-04-23, 10:39   Link #4316
Occulus
〜(^∇^〜) (〜^∇^)〜

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
The awkward moment when you can't separate the real life with the fantasy.
Well henzaeroz already said he isn't a native english speaker so its understandable he doesn't know what a Tomahawk missile is.

Anyways, I think that all you need is the magic to cause massive destruction without killing yourself (or maybe even killing yourself) to be classified as a Strategic Class magician. However, the range at which a magician can cast their magic will determine how useful of a strategic magician s/he is.

Its like a nuclear bomb: If its so heavy that it can't be carried on planes, it would not be very useful. If it could be carried on planes, then its use goes up. Then finally, if it can be put on ballistic missiles, then it has the possibility of being a deciding factor in a war.
Old 2013-04-23, 11:22   Link #4317
mumalkatar

Location: Residential District of 22nd Floor of Tower of God,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukisp View Post
No, it's only mention that the big boss of Blanche is one of the Sage not Apostle.
i am mistaking between 13 sage and 13 apostle.
Old 2013-04-23, 14:29   Link #4318
Occulus
〜(^∇^〜) (〜^∇^)〜

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukisp View Post
I was under the impression that the big brother (?) of the boss of Blanche is one of the 7 Sages, not the Blanche leader himself?

Quote:
Just fyi, there are only 7 sages.
Old 2013-04-23, 14:45   Link #4319
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
I was under the impression that the big brother (?) of the boss of Blanche is one of the 7 Sages, not the Blanche leader himself?

Just fyi, there are only 7 sages.
And 12 apostles currently. Chinese guy got caught up in MB.
Old 2013-04-23, 16:26   Link #4320
waffler

i started thinking and i think that tatsuyas mb has the farthest range because he need a satellite to use mb and other strategic class mage does it by sight maybe few km away
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings