AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-17, 11:37   Link #81
Clarste
Human

Some interesting Black Star stuff in episode 33. An "oni" rather than a "god"?

I've been thinking this for a while though, isn't Black Star kinda like Asura (the Kisshin)? He seeks power for its own sake, to be better than other people. Asura explicitly did it out of fear of others, but Black Star certainly seems like he's afraid of being merely human, of being weak, of realizing his maximum potential and finding it wanting. So far he seems to trust Tsubaki, but what if it turned out that she was holding him back? What would he do? I can't imagine him giving up "godhood" without a fight.

I suppose that's unlikely to happen (if anything it's the other way around; him being frustrated about not being able to use her full potential), but I really have to wonder. What would he be like if he didn't have a partner like Tsubaki?
Old 2008-11-17, 15:40   Link #82
Girl_who_cried_gnome
lover of the g-pa hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

I've been thinking this for a while though, isn't Black Star kinda like Asura (the Kisshin)? He seeks power for its own sake, to be better than other people. Asura explicitly did it out of fear of others, but Black Star certainly seems like he's afraid of being merely human, of being weak, of realizing his maximum potential and finding it wanting. So far he seems to trust Tsubaki, but what if it turned out that she was holding him back? What would he do? I can't imagine him giving up "godhood" without a fight.

I suppose that's unlikely to happen (if anything it's the other way around; him being frustrated about not being able to use her full potential), but I really have to wonder. What would he be like if he didn't have a partner like Tsubaki?
hmmm well i dont want to spoil anything for you if you just watch the anime... but this does in fact become an issue in some shape and form....

thats exactly why they ARE partners though...

they balance each other out perfectly-- i like to think of all meister/weapon partnerships as, no matter how cliche it may sound, yin and yang.
and tsubaki and black star are the best example of this
Old 2008-11-17, 16:11   Link #83
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

It was fairly interesting overall. Think its more about the fear of not escaping his family's history. The reason he is going so far is to not be looked at as a child of a clan that did horrible things. He's definitely trying to get harder by pushing himself so far. Is possible he could lose it. He pushed himself too far against Asura and is pushing himself hard still with the Fey blade mode. Right now he still has Tsubaki that can keep him steady, but sooner or later he'll have to face those inner demons of his.

33 was good overall for this pair. Both in terms of getting closer to the presence inside Tsubaki, but also with her helping him out. Nice to see Tsubaki's growth with smacking him in the back of the head. Obviously it wouldn't hurt someone like Black Star that much but it sent the message. He even apologized and asked to leave the complicated talk to her.
Old 2008-11-21, 01:15   Link #84
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_who_cried_gnome View Post

they balance each other out perfectly-- i like to think of all meister/weapon partnerships as, no matter how cliche it may sound, yin and yang.
and tsubaki and black star are the best example of this
That is very true considering black is my least like character while Tsubaki is my favourite. Talk about opposites.
Old 2008-11-22, 10:40   Link #85
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
That is very true considering black is my least like character while Tsubaki is my favourite. Talk about opposites.
I kinda agree. Though I by no means hate Black*Star (that is reserved for the child-abandoning whore Medusa), I must say that such a sweet and lovely girl like Tsubaki-chan deserves better than a rotten bloke like him.
Old 2008-11-22, 14:20   Link #86
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
I kinda agree. Though I by no means hate Black*Star (that is reserved for the child-abandoning whore Medusa), I must say that such a sweet and lovely girl like Tsubaki-chan deserves better than a rotten bloke like him.
Yeah would agree that hate would be better kept for Medusa. Though definitely can understand the feelings on Black Star. Guy has a pretty good sized road to walk on to develop his character. Moved from making ridiculous proclamations from statues to getting more serious. But still has plenty of room to grow in terms of how he interacts with others.

Can accept Tsubaki's choice on who to stick with. Think he's let her be more outgoing. Since with the attention he tries to draw to himself no one will notice too much if she tries to leave her comfort zone now and then. Think going with the balance portion that they can both bring each other closer to the centre. Tsubaki speaking her mind more and being assertive. But also Black Star not being so obsessed with the past of his family and making himself stand out.
Old 2008-11-25, 16:37   Link #87
Girl_who_cried_gnome
lover of the g-pa hair

yeah... usually i absolutely loathe this type of character... but with black star i just cant help but love him. He may be an obnoxious brat at times but he definitely has his moments where you can see character development...

Spoiler for durrr... manga:
Old 2008-11-28, 09:43   Link #88
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I always wondered... is Black Star his real name? Or is it a title or nickname? Kinda like a ninja thing where no one is allowed to know their real names other than family and spouse?
Old 2008-11-29, 11:35   Link #89
OutSmart
Comic Relief

that's actually quite interesting... I have no idea.

I would say it was real because there is nothing in nthe anime that says otherwise and because I think "the man who will surpass god" would never be nameless.

But again, I have no idea. If anyone knows something about this (unless it envolves major manga spoiler) plz share.
Old 2008-11-29, 17:41   Link #90
lmd_84

There's no major manga spoilers in the fact that it 'Black Star' seems to be his actual name.

Minor manga spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-29, 17:45   Link #91
OutSmart
Comic Relief

thx for the minor spoiler there ^^

in fact that does make sense. I had found pics of "white star" but never thought it could be his dad. Was thinking more like brother or arch nemesis ^^

Thats cool ^^, thx for the intel
Old 2008-11-29, 19:38   Link #92
lmd_84

Not a problem.

Well, the
Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-30, 12:36   Link #93
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

So... is Black his first name and Star his last name?
Old 2008-11-30, 18:50   Link #94
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
So... is Black his first name and Star his last name?
Well, he's from the Hoshizoku, which literally means "Star clan" so its not unreasonable that his last name would be Star. He doesn't treat it like that though.
Old 2008-11-30, 22:10   Link #95
yawarakada

Yes, I really like tsubaki very much. She always smiles gently and has a tolerant heart to face anythings what black star have done. However, black star, in fact, a good man. When he said to tsubaki"let black star give you a hug", I was moved.

PS. This is my first post.
Old 2008-12-01, 07:32   Link #96
OutSmart
Comic Relief

welcome ^^
Old 2008-12-01, 07:35   Link #97
Katocchi
Your Order ?
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Katocchi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawarakada View Post
Yes, I really like tsubaki very much. She always smiles gently and has a tolerant heart to face anythings what black star have done. However, black star, in fact, a good man. When he said to tsubaki"let black star give you a hug", I was moved.

Yes .. That is Nice Scene for them .. Poor Tsubaki ..
and give comment ^^

Old 2008-12-01, 15:34   Link #98
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:

That episode was one of his better moments overall in the series. Supportive and showed how much he cared about Tsubaki. The hug offer was very nice since she really did need it. Too bad that damn kid cut the moment short .

Very solid first post.
Old 2008-12-02, 22:40   Link #99
yawarakada

um, I think that they really understand each other though sometimes black star will show his crazy side, however, it doesn't matter.

PS. Thanks for you all, so glad to get here.
Old 2008-12-22, 15:27   Link #100
Mattelajn

Quote:

That was really cute
Closed Thread