AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-03-21, 16:06   Link #14101
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
My ass they don't. They probably control the Japanese government. I'm pretty sure they have access to high-tech devices.
Except high tech energy weapons like you're describing simply don't exist yet. The most advanced weaponized laser weapon that just got unveiled is decades behind what you're suggesting. The smallest one of it's modules still weigh's like 400 pounds.

If we saw something like that loose in the Haruhi world, it'd be a sign that either Haruhi or those future folk were fucking around.

But really. Would the organization feel like the "terrestrial" faction if they started pulling out ray guns?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 16:17   Link #14102
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Why I used the term serious. If it was serious he couldn't hide it.
He may have already become the mask.

Quote:
Except this would look really silly.
I'm with Kaisos on visual plausibility, though not to extreme degrees. It's not like the series hasn't broken it before, but they extent to which it's been broken isn't utterly ridiculous at least.

Quote:
Mori was not on it. We'd have to compare her to other characters whose height we do know. I've got this handy screenshot though.

Mori's roughly half a head taller than yuki/Mikuru in this image, but we have to account for the fact that she's wearing roughly 1 inch heels, so that would make her somewhat taller.
Seems to be of slightly shorter than average height then. Whatever constitutes as that anyway.

Quote:
...and I totally did not just post that for Mori's stockings.
Of course not.

Quote:
Mori's skirt is poofy enough that she could probably fit something significantly larger than a derringer up there. She'd probably have a regular handgun with a reload....this is an advantage over miniskirts.

Mori(M) would probably just keep his concealed under his coat. Shotguns are just to bulky.
Quick, someone do a cross section of maid and butler attire.

Quote:
If we assume the Mori's have some kind of special forces backgrounds, a wide range of weapons specialization would make sense. Even regular infantry are expected to be at least somewhat familiar with squad weapons that they ussually don't use in case that guy normally using is turned into a casualty. Special forces typically are even more extreme in that regard.

And different guns will be appropriate for different circumstances.
Spoiler for guns:

The agents probably all have handguns, but probably keep larger weapons in their vehicles.
More and more I see them as maid/butler models in CS.

Quote:
The organization does not have access to high tech devices.
Quote:
My ass they don't. They probably control the Japanese government. I'm pretty sure they have access to high-tech devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Realism strikes.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... you think they stopped with Japan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
That would explain why the Japanese have all the cool stuff...
Quote:
Except high tech energy weapons like you're describing simply don't exist yet. The most advanced weaponized laser weapon that just got unveiled is decades behind what you're suggesting. The smallest one of it's modules still weigh's like 400 pounds.

If we saw something like that loose in the Haruhi world, it'd be a sign that either Haruhi or those future folk were fucking around.

But really. Would the organization feel like the "terrestrial" faction if they started pulling out ray guns?
I REALLY want to know the full extent of the Organization's influence.

Anyway, futuristic weaponry belongs to Mikuru/Mitsuru and their group from the future, not to mention the possibility of Fujiwara's faction as well. Let them handle the beam cannons. The Organization can just have top of the line gear from the present day time period, with seemingly endless resources supplied by mysterious backers.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 16:42   Link #14103
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post

A cross section? Like, to see how many guns could possibly be crammed under the skirt of a maid outfit?

I feel compelled to crappily doodle that.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 16:44   Link #14104
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
A cross section? Like, to see how many guns could possibly be crammed under the skirt of a maid outfit?

I feel compelled to crappily doodle that.
You will have instantly earned the title of most productive newbie if you come up with said doodles.

Old 2009-03-21, 16:47   Link #14105
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

I'm already starting on it...but I haven't drawn anything in about a million and a half years, so it is absolutely guaranteed to be crap.
Old 2009-03-21, 16:51   Link #14106
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Consider what we we've seen of the Organization's capabilities:

~10 espers, provided free of cost by Haruhi
4 other direct employees
Student Council President + the funds to rig the election
2 or 3 cars (including 1 taxi and 1 police cruiser, I may be forgetting one)
Private island

None of this leads me to believe that the Organization is anywhere close to controlling the Japanese government. All of this could be done with just the backing of Tsuruya's family. They don't even have to own the island; it may have just been borrowed from an associate of her family.

Really, imagine that you're a member of the Diet, and somebody comes up to you telling you that a schoolgirl has the power to warp reality. They tell you that they can prove it if you come with them. Do you go? Most politicians wouldn't be willing to waste their time on insane ramblings like that.

All the talk about how big their influence is could just be Koizumi trying to make his faction sound more valuable to Kyon.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 17:19   Link #14107
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
He may have already become the mask.
Or maybe the mask became him.

Quote:
I'm with Kaisos on visual plausibility, though not to extreme degrees. It's not like the series hasn't broken it before, but they extent to which it's been broken isn't utterly ridiculous at least.
Maybe.

Quote:
Seems to be of slightly shorter than average height then. Whatever constitutes as that anyway.
The heights can be wonky sometimes. We got Mori(F) in heels standing adjacent to Haruhi at the same height (roughly 158 centimeters) but then being half a head taller than Mikuru. Which doesn't make sense if Mori in heels is only 6 cm taller than Mikuru.

Though I suppose we could just go with her being a little shorter than average.
Quote:
Of course not.
Yeah...absolutely.
Quote:
...that is a totally good idea absolutely unrelated to any hypothetical stockings fetish I do not have.
Quote:
I REALLY want to know the full extent of the Organization's influence.

Anyway, futuristic weaponry belongs to Mikuru/Mitsuru and their group from the future, not to mention the possibility of Fujiwara's faction as well. Let them handle the beam cannons. The Organization can just have top of the line gear from the present day time period, with seemingly endless resources supplied by mysterious backers.
I can't imagine it being minor given that they have pretty well trained operatives on standby 24/7 and can bring out mansions in remote exotic places for Haruhi's personal amusement.
Quote:
Agreed...though both the time travel agencies are probably somewhat averse to randomly vaporizing people from the past in a fire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
*snip*
Well the Tsuruya family may not control the Japanese government, but given their immense wealth (my understanding is that you've got to be Scrooge McDuck rich to own mansions in Japan) it's not entirely unbelievable that they have connections in the government. It's plausible they can influence things behind the door.

The thing with the Haruhi though, is that she isn't really a problem they can solve with a huge amount of resources. So if the agency did have that kind of overwhelming resources, you'd never see it in play with Haruhi because it's a much more low level problem.
Old 2009-03-21, 18:08   Link #14108
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Well the Tsuruya family may not control the Japanese government, but given their immense wealth (my understanding is that you've got to be Scrooge McDuck rich to own mansions in Japan) it's not entirely unbelievable that they have connections in the government. It's plausible they can influence things behind the door.
True. It would be surprising if they didn't have some sort of government influence, but I really think it's much more limited than the impression we're given.

Quote:
The thing with the Haruhi though, is that she isn't really a problem they can solve with a huge amount of resources. So if the agency did have that kind of overwhelming resources, you'd never see it in play with Haruhi because it's a much more low level problem.
However, when Mikuru was kidnapped in Volume 7, how many operatives did we see go to get her back? Four. Only two of whom looked like they were definitely assigned to deal deal with the issue. And unless I'm misremembering, they suspected that something was going to happen with Mikuru. You don't send a mere four agents to retrieve a valuable asset if you control the entire government.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 18:11   Link #14109
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
True. It would be surprising if they didn't have some sort of government influence, but I really think it's much more limited than the impression we're given
Agreed. It's implausible that they control the entire government.
Quote:
However, when Mikuru was kidnapped in Volume 7, how many operatives did we see go to get her back? Four. Only two of whom looked like they were definitely assigned to deal deal with the issue. And unless I'm misremembering, they suspected that something was going to happen with Mikuru. You don't send a mere four agents to retrieve a valuable asset if you control the entire government.
It's not that extreme if you assume the people they sent were Grade S killing machines

Though a smaller team does make sense if you want to keep things low key and you're pretty sure that the opposition isn't going to start a massive fire fight in the city streets.
Old 2009-03-21, 18:38   Link #14110
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

I finished the maid cross section doodle.

Spoiler:

It's rough looking, and pretty crappy, but it's a doodle. Don't expect much from doodles. (Or, at least, from /my/ doodles.) Also, the caption-things are there mostly because without them, you might think she had rubber ducks or something under her skirt.
Old 2009-03-21, 18:51   Link #14111
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
regardless, it is still pretty nice, prolly better than what I would have made seeing as I can't draw. though, it does seem that the guns are not in proportion to the body.

Random question, and I mean random, how many of you have said "irregardless" in place of "regardless"?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 18:57   Link #14112
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes
though, it does seem that the guns are not in proportion to the body.
I completely forgot about making the guns (and well, everything, really) proportionate. Maybe they're magical, shape-and-size-changing guns? It could work...

Last edited by wittyusername; 2009-03-21 at 20:14.
Old 2009-03-21, 20:12   Link #14113
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
We interrupt your regularly scheduled Seitenkan to bring you this important announcement.

This page has a crapload of bluechessium.

Thank you. You may now return to your regularly scheduled Seitenkan.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 20:15   Link #14114
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
We interrupt your regularly scheduled Seitenkan to bring you this important announcement.

Bluechess or BlueCHEESE?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 20:23   Link #14115
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bluechess or BlueCHEESE?
Bluechess. I'd normally make a joke about depressed pawns, but I'm not in a funny mood for some reason.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 20:52   Link #14116
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Long time, but still valid....

So. Many. Uses.
Old 2009-03-21, 21:25   Link #14117
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I just noticed, the first frame of the animation kinda looks like a Yuki in pain or something... with brown hair... lol.

and yay for off-topicness

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 21:37   Link #14118
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

I just realized I have yet to do anything constructive besides support Beanbag-san.

Anyway, these ideas are all coming along nicely.
Old 2009-03-21, 22:14   Link #14119
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I finished the maid cross section doodle.

Spoiler:

It's rough looking, and pretty crappy, but it's a doodle. Don't expect much from doodles. (Or, at least, from /my/ doodles.) Also, the caption-things are there mostly because without them, you might think she had rubber ducks or something under her skirt.
Hail to the most productive newbie. For rough sketches you are now my go-to guy. Er, girl, since that's what you declare in your profile.

Get the newbie some cookies people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post

I still miss the massive amounts of backlog we used to generate.

Old 2009-03-21, 22:40   Link #14120
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
For rough sketches you are now my go-to guy. Er, girl, since that's what you declare in your profile.
*feels special*

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan