AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-04-20, 00:13   Link #241
cyth
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 32
Ech, Angel Beats! had other problems. I don't see any resemblance beyond the superficial.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 08:08   Link #242
Alf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Zone: Mare Tranquillitatis
The comedy part is necessary for progressing into the more serious later part, but it's been looped for 6 times with nearly same pattern. It is the galgame pattern that you click all the failure options and then progress to the correct answer, but this doesn't work that well on anime. It might be better if the writer keep it 3-4 loops and put more information in the conversations, to make it more anime like and let Tsukasa and Isla have more time for interaction.

But the effect of this pattern still works pretty well when it comes to the later part of the episode, when it all comes down to the core issue with Isla's attitude, returning the tone to match the main theme. Making a small but important crack on Isla's guard feels both warm and a little bitter.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 09:30   Link #243
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Plastic Memories 03

wow this is sooo hard to watch.
because its so boring.
not just episode wise, but everything else.
No matter what anything happens, all they do is stand there talking with no movement anywhere. And the dull color scheme of everything makes me fall asleep.

This series is going to become no memories.

It could be slightly better if it concentrated on case studies to explore more on the culture of these androids, and give a story with some feel at the end, but its instead focusing on this poor excuse 3rd rate tragic heroine.

Plastic Memories should have stayed as a 1 episode OVA was right since that was only decent episode so far, with episode 2 and 3 adding nothing of value.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 11:47   Link #244
jcdietz03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Why do Giftia not turn off when not in use?
Your TV lasts ~10,000 hours which is about 1.5 years. It lasts so long because you turn it off when not using it. I've never worn out a TV from overuse. Back when I had a DLP TV, I needed a new lamp for it, though (DLP lamps last for ~5000 hours).

The fact that Isla never sleeps makes her seem more non-human.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 12:42   Link #245
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This really wasn't an impactful episode. I like the idea of Tsukasa and Isla having some off-work interactions, but they could have been smoother about it. Plus I still don't get whey no one is bothering to tell the guy the truth. Nor Tsukasa not noticing the obvious point that Isla has at least been working at this job for 6 years and thus isn't that far off her life expectancy.

Anyways didn't think the comedy was all that strong this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Why do Giftia not turn off when not in use?
Your TV lasts ~10,000 hours which is about 1.5 years. It lasts so long because you turn it off when not using it. I've never worn out a TV from overuse. Back when I had a DLP TV, I needed a new lamp for it, though (DLP lamps last for ~5000 hours).

The fact that Isla never sleeps makes her seem more non-human.
I tend to agree. Have to wonder why they couldn't come up with some kind of sleep mode. If they sleep for a third of the day like people then their life expectancy could be expanded. Maybe they normally sleep and Isla is neglectful, but if not then they are wasting lifespans on hours when the people they are contracted to live with aren't going to be available.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 15:21   Link #246
Haak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 27
I can understand the comedy not being particularly funny to some people (and that's totally fair game) but calling it "insulting" seems a bit melodramatic for what is pretty much standard conventional anime hijinks.

For what it's worth, I laughed. I do wish that the show would devote more time into actually exploring the questions it raises rather than stick to formulaic comedy but I appreciate the obvious intention that the writers just want use this sort of comedy to make us like the characters more (and thus care about them more) before delving into their issues. Clumsy? Perhaps. Insulting? I don't really see what's insulting about it.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 17:29   Link #247
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Ech, Angel Beats! had other problems. I don't see any resemblance beyond the superficial.
Am I the only one who'll still admit to liking Angel Beats? I remember at the time, there were plenty of people who liked it, but these days, it's only brought up as a bad example...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 17:49   Link #248
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Am I the only one who'll still admit to liking Angel Beats? I remember at the time, there were plenty of people who liked it, but these days, it's only brought up as a bad example...
No you are not. I still like Angel Beats and it is sad that it seems to have such a bad reputation now.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 19:57   Link #249
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
For what it's worth, I laughed. I do wish that the show would devote more time into actually exploring the questions it raises rather than stick to formulaic comedy but I appreciate the obvious intention that the writers just want use this sort of comedy to make us like the characters more (and thus care about them more) before delving into their issues. Clumsy? Perhaps. Insulting? I don't really see what's insulting about it.
It's so dumb it's insulting. If they want the audience to care, why not invest their time on building actually interesting and engaging characters instead of on this lame attempt at comedy? It's like it's written by a 10-years old or something.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 22:30   Link #250
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's so dumb it's insulting. If they want the audience to care, why not invest their time on building actually interesting and engaging characters instead of on this lame attempt at comedy? It's like it's written by a 10-years old or something.
If you feel that way then this probably isn't the show for you.

They're investing their time into creating an entertaining show with some deep questions thrown in. They've alluded to the importance of the themes of the show, but are abstaining from diving into them immediately because they're not supposed to. In a 13-episode series you don't dive right into the drama and the issues, you build them up and then climax with those issues. If they dove right into all the big issues what would be left for the finale? Isla showing off more of her breaking and entering skills?

The audience should care because of the relationship between the MC and his partner. The closest equivalent (degradation notwithstanding) would be a child psychologist trying to get a detached child to open up. MC is trying to get Isla to live a life instead of just being a machine, because she's not just a machine. She's a machine with a soul, albeit a temporary one.

As far as comedy goes, there's nothing to be said about that. Evidently it's an issue of taste. Personally, I find the horrified look from Isla's partners as she slapsticks off the top floor of an apartment complex to be very comedic.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-20, 23:37   Link #251
Psyco Diver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I'm quickly getting bored of this show, one more episode to show me something good, whether drama, humor, action, ect or I'm going to drop this one. I get the feeling this show doesn't know what it wants to be and what its trying is failing at because its being half hearted about it
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 01:09   Link #252
RaymondSageClark
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hexagone Française
Age: 28
This show is more like Chobits but made in a really wrong way.
RaymondSageClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 02:13   Link #253
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Am I the only one who'll still admit to liking Angel Beats? I remember at the time, there were plenty of people who liked it, but these days, it's only brought up as a bad example...
It's a flawed show, but I still enjoyed it a lot. For some reason people like to freak out about anime that have mood swings. Seriously, what's the problem?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 02:15   Link #254
csuree
The Most Hated™
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A random coordinate on the space-time continuum
Age: 30
so many haters.....damm if you don't like it, don't watch it simple as that....

I will tell you once and honestly. For the shows I don't like, I don't go on their threads and write that I hate it because whatever reason....It irritates those people who actually like the show. So please drop the negative comments and create a specific "Haters" thread for it.

I saw this negativity at many other shows and I am fed up with it.

I liked angel beats a lot.
__________________
Go for your dreams, never give up.Because when you give up your dreams, you die!
csuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 02:43   Link #255
cyth
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Am I the only one who'll still admit to liking Angel Beats? I remember at the time, there were plenty of people who liked it, but these days, it's only brought up as a bad example...
Depends on who you ask. I mostly thought it had weird pacing problems and the ending where protagonist admits his love to the wrong person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
I will tell you once and honestly. For the shows I don't like, I don't go on their threads and write that I hate it because whatever reason....It irritates those people who actually like the show. So please drop the negative comments and create a specific "Haters" thread for it.
This is not /r/anime where we'd just circlejerk the popular opinion. Every poster has a voice and a right to express his opinion. Don't let yourself into a filter bubble, it's hard to foster a critical mind in one.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 04:09   Link #256
csuree
The Most Hated™
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: A random coordinate on the space-time continuum
Age: 30
I understand what you are saying....

But for an example I hate any specific shoujo anime. I'm not gonna go to those threads and spew out my hatred and demoralize the posters who like it. I simply ignore it and let them be happy.

This internet society created these flamers, haters. A few years ago you wouldn't see in a forum haters....only fans arguing what is better...

And it is annoying when they come here and spit out their 1 sentence(paragraph) hate for a show.

I specifically like the emotional part of the show, trying to make friends with somebody is not easy; and that is dealing with a part that will enter our society in a few years or decades,(emotion capable robots)
__________________
Go for your dreams, never give up.Because when you give up your dreams, you die!
csuree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 04:26   Link #257
Moroboshi-kun
Pantsu Inspector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondSageClark View Post
This show is more like Chobits but made in a really wrong way.
Chobits was a show which started nice but then turned trainwreck so I truly hope PlaMemo is done in different way. So far it is hitting the combination of lingering sorrow and comedy moments rather well in Mahoromatic-esque way which is much appreciated. Tied with Ore Monogatari!! as the top dog of the season.
Moroboshi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 05:17   Link #258
bastek66
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 30
Seem like haters wanted serious tearjerker like Shigatsu minus comedy.
__________________
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 07:10   Link #259
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
The problem isn't the comedy. The problem is the bad comedy.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-21, 07:15   Link #260
Haak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's so dumb it's insulting. If they want the audience to care, why not invest their time on building actually interesting and engaging characters instead of on this lame attempt at comedy? It's like it's written by a 10-years old or something.
I think if you're actually offended by someone's lousy joke then you need to lighten up a bit...

For the record, what exactly do you think of the people who do find it funny?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
love triangle, sci-fi, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.