AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-06-27, 11:21   Link #2121
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
More fun stuff from recent:
Spoilers
Spoiler for look-back on story-so-far ep 2
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Web radio 14 ('live' short version):
Spoilers
Spoiler for web radio ep 14
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
larethian is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 11:24   Link #2122
Draco Spirit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Seems a case to me that he can't deal with none crises situations very well anymore. Everything turn into a do or die fight, and threat to Emilia safety.
Draco Spirit is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 11:47   Link #2123
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Spoiler for Image:
Brother Coa is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 11:51   Link #2124
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
I was just thinking of things from Emilia's perspective.

- I wanted to treat me like you treat everyone else -
In the last arc Subaru at first didn't know and then didn't care that Emilia was a candidate to the throne. He just treated her "normally". Now he's going on about he's her attendant or knight or how he wants to make her into the ruler. She doesn't want anything like that from him, she just wants him to be her friend.

When she said "he's not my attendant" before, she wasn't rejecting him. Subaru has gotten attached to his role (or rather clings) as Roswaal's servant but I don't think either Emila and Roswaal really considered him as such and knew it was just a temporary situation.

- Why are you doing so much for me? -
I think from Emilia's perspective, what Subaru is trying to do in the last 2 episodes is a lot more than what he's done for her in all of the previous episodes.

In the first arc, he helped her find that lost insignia and got caught into a dangerous fight with the slasher woman. There's no reason for her to think that he went into that situation knowing that he would run into a dangerous situation like that.

In the second arc, he was running around being a servant, suddenly got involved in protecting the villages and then Rem/Ram. Fundamentally, she wasn't involved. He didn't protect her from anything.

Of course, from Subaru's perspective what he's done is the last 2 episodes is nothing compared to what he's gone through in the last 2 arcs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Rem would never have had that conversation with Subaru, because neither her nor the other members of the cast have such blatant mistrust and disrespect for Subaru. That's the difference between Emilia and the rest of them, and it's the flaw of her character. She doesn't listen to other people, and she doesn't trust other people. She's even been shown to disregard Puck, despite her claiming that she has such a strong bond with him. It would be easy to justify some of her attitude toward Subaru, but the problem is in how alone she is in this. Subaru wears his flaws and his nature on his sleeve, and yet he fosters bonds and relationships with just about everybody he meets. She knows precisely what kind of person he is, and he has so few secrets beyond the ones he literally is incapable of telling, but yet she's so surprised by everything he does. She commented about the image Subaru must have of her in his mind, but I really wonder what kind of image she had of him. It must be a very strange image.

What I liked most about this episode is what it showed about her character as she tried to berate him. We already knew Subaru was selfish and that he was blinded to reality by the events that had transpired, and that he seems to struggle to fully differentiate premortem events from what is happening in his present path. Emilia's faults haven't been nearly as blatant, and so we're getting a real look at what kind of person she really is. In some ways she's very much like Subaru in the way she treated him, and in some ways she's like an antithesis of him in the way she treats people in general and in her naivete.
Emilia has trust issues with Subaru? That's an interesting way of looking at in. I don't think it's true though.

In the last arc Emilia seemed to trust him completely, always willing to help and defend him And when she asked him about the duel this arc, she started off thinking that he got a good reason for getting into the duel.

Subaru in the last 2 episodes wasn't really acting in a trustworthy manner. He even got involved with another candidate to throne, somehow. She doesn't know anything about his past and he doesn't explain important things (admittedly he can't). The fact that she can't bring herself to blindly trust him is completely reasonable. Despite his claims, all his actions have made things more difficult for her, not less. There's was no reason for him to barge into the meeting. It's just a meeting, what would she need help for?

Why has he never explained he came from another world anyway? That's nothing to do with his curse.

As for the other cast members. Rem distrusted him before but now I'm just she just blindly believes him. I don't know what Ram's opinion is but Roswaal certainly doesn't trust him. The other cast members aren't really in a situation yet where they need to trust him.

Also, it's odd you claim that Emilia has trust issues and then describe her as naive. It seems like both of those can't be truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Slayer_X
The only problem is the Subaru 2 episodes ago could have at least used his head and avoided the situation. Did he even learn anything from those 11 episodes? Even if he did that development was rather non-existent in this particular episode.

Deconstruction of MCs has been done in FSN and Index NT as well. It's just that the character degradation felt rather inconsistent even taking PSTD into account.
How would the Subaru of 2 episodes ago avoided this situation? It seems to me that he resolved the last arc by charging recklessly ahead and trying to solve everything himself.
moridin84 is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 12:00   Link #2125
Dragon_Slayer_X
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
How would the Subaru of 2 episodes ago avoided this situation? It seems to me that he resolved the last arc by charging recklessly ahead and trying to solve everything himself.
By actually using his head, trying to adapt with circumstances and finding out more about his situation (even with the breakdowns) and by not being a total idiot. Also Subaru enlisted help from Puck or Betty in a roundabout way rather than doing everything himself. Subaru at least looked like more capable and smart than the obsessive stalker character he turned into this episode.
Dragon_Slayer_X is online now  
Old 2016-06-27, 12:54   Link #2126
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
She's even been shown to disregard Puck, despite her claiming that she has such a strong bond with him.
Eh, I can't say I recall a point this where this happened. The closest they thing have have had towards a disagreement iwas invoking the use of Satella's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Slayer_X View Post
By actually using his head, trying to adapt with circumstances and finding out more about his situation (even with the breakdowns) and by not being a total idiot. Also Subaru enlisted help from Puck or Betty in a roundabout way rather than doing everything himself. Subaru at least looked like more capable and smart than the obsessive stalker character he turned into this episode.
All that happened over series episodes where in some cases he could seek help or had certain resource available depending on circumstances. None of that applies here since for anyone to help him they would have to first understand his situation. Something he mainly avoided having to do in the manison arc.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-06-27 at 13:20.
Applehell is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 13:27   Link #2127
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Also, this episode answered another question that was previously asked/wondered which I think was not brought up in the discussion so far; ie. what constitutes the revealing of "Return By Death". Subaru didn't attempt to reveal his ability directly, but attempted to mention what happened in the first loop in the first arc to Emilia, and that was also out of bounds.
larethian is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 13:39   Link #2128
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Subaru at Day 0 hadn't been through the traumatic experiences he has been through in the past month. He was naive and ignorant of death, which allowed him to start out at a relatively clean emotional slate. If we were to draw a plot of time versus emotional state, I imagine it would be oscillatory and decreasing. You could say that he started at an emotional state of zero; however, this state became more negative the more he died and realized that all of the relationships and experiences he had with people, and all of the intimacy he developed with them, were things that only he could remember. Sure, he snaps himself out of his depression so that he can carry on, but never has it been implied that he truly ever recovered from the trauma. Rather, the impression has always been given that his cheeriness and optimism has been a facade to try to convince himself that he is okay. That he needs to do this is evidence in itself that he is not truly okay. Even last episode, we had someone comment about Subaru's eyes. In other words, the net gain in emotional state he achieved never matched the net loss, so he still is very much in the negative and "lesser" than he was when he first entered this world.
When it comes to death I place most of the emphasis on the "lose everything" aspect. In Subaru's case it's more of a fear of "maybe death" which is hard to feel anything for. Especially when technically.... he's already lost everything by just getting dragged to this world.

There's the "only I remember" part, but honestly the story fails to emphasize that properly, and when it does it's a bit awkwardly timed to actually feel positively for Subaru (does anyone feel positive of the last scene?). Last episode it was timed with his conversation with Emillia at the end. Ironically Subaru fails to convey his inner struggles to the people watching just as much he does to Emillia.

Keeping that point in mind we have the following problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
As for your opinion about protagonists, I have to wholly disagree. Where does it say that just because a character is a protagonist, he has to always be right and in control? In my opinion, a story about a flawed character is often superior to one where the character always wins without having to try, simply for being the lead.

Things don't always go up. Just because people learn as they progress doesn't mean they're never going to make the same mistakes again, or that their future mistakes will have less impact than their previous mistakes. In this respect, many shounen and shallower series spoil us, because the lead always becomes stronger as a result of experiences, and seldom do we see characters take more than one Fall and have to struggle against themselves more than once.
I've seen plenty of series where for one mistake the main character got their entire family murdered (relatives and neighbors included), or got their entire body mutilated to the point where their friends wouldn't recognize them. In some of them they face the big bad and horribly lose too—yes I mean they die. Their characterization doesn't feel weakened for it. If anything it just adds a facet to their character. Also I've seen plenty of series where the character suffers traumatic experience, but even though the experience has negative effects on their personality there's always some personality aspect that gets enhanced from it (not necessarily positive). This sort of "torture" experience where the character only gets negative aspects is a bit... strange. Whats the point? Are we suppose to enjoy the character getting bullied by the story into human trash for a bit before everything just moves on?

Current Subaru could probably achieve more by just being a more relaxed character, especially given his death power. It's like the author is hellbent on depicting Subaru as some savescuming n00b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
If you are looking for something where the protagonist only makes mistakes in the beginning and only hits a single low before becoming some badass god, it's probably best to look at other anime.
Most "badass" stories involve a lot of down down and more down parts. It's extremely common. This series's isn't unique in that regard, the difference is just in the constant identity crisis and Subaru's panic attack episodes. I have no issue with accepting that as an integral part of his characterization, the problem is that feels like the ONLY characterization he gets. What happened to his gentle side? Calculating side? Knowledge from Earth and what not? RPG knowhow? I don't really see that getting developed, if anything its overshadowed by his new edgelord personality. In this episode for example, his dust attack and dark magic attack both seemed like an act of disperation then him using his knowhow.

It's not fun to watch a character bleed potential.
__________________
felix is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 13:40   Link #2129
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
I was just thinking of things from Emilia's perspective.

- I wanted to treat me like you treat everyone else -
In the last arc Subaru at first didn't know and then didn't care that Emilia was a candidate to the throne. He just treated her "normally". Now he's going on about he's her attendant or knight or how he wants to make her into the ruler. She doesn't want anything like that from him, she just wants him to be her friend.

When she said "he's not my attendant" before, she wasn't rejecting him. Subaru has gotten attached to his role (or rather clings) as Roswaal's servant but I don't think either Emila and Roswaal really considered him as such and knew it was just a temporary situation.
Good points. I think almost everyone she meets reacts to her either positively because she's a princess, or negatively because she's a silver haired half-elf. Either way, they don't react to her.

She hoped Subaru would be different... but he isn't. He doesn't care about the princess or half-elf thing, but everything he does is for the sake of an Emilia that doesn't really exist anymore, and that the present Emilia knows nothing about.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 16:24   Link #2130
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Slayer_X View Post
By actually using his head, trying to adapt with circumstances and finding out more about his situation (even with the breakdowns) and by not being a total idiot. Also Subaru enlisted help from Puck or Betty in a roundabout way rather than doing everything himself. Subaru at least looked like more capable and smart than the obsessive stalker character he turned into this episode.
All he knew that Emilia was going to this candidate meeting. Nobody told him anything else and Emilia insisted he stayed in the house. There was no one he could ask to get more information on the situation.

He had two options. The first being to stay at home, the second being trying to sneak into the meeting. It would have been better to do the first but instead he did the second so he could learn more about his situation. It was pretty stupid to do but it's pretty much the only action that Subaru, and in fact every main character even, would do.

He didn't really have a plan for how to sneak in, so Pricilla bringing him was really helpful. It's a bit front and center and it would be stupid to try and find another way.

The part where everything falls apart is when he gets mad at everyone insulting Emilia. He makes a scene trying to act like a hero but then that knight guy verbally cuts him to shreds. He panics, he realizing that he doesn't have a leg to stand on (see http://i.imgur.com/BmK81D5.jpg) but he can't simply back down so he just doubles down on his stupidity.

You probably don't have any objections to what I said in first three paragraphs. The problem is fourth one. Do you believe that Subaru thinking himself a hero and acting all grandiose is out of character? The only smart action he could have taken here would be to not say anything at all. However, that's not really something Subaru would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Good points. I think almost everyone she meets reacts to her either positively because she's a princess, or negatively because she's a silver haired half-elf. Either way, they don't react to her.

She hoped Subaru would be different... but he isn't. He doesn't care about the princess or half-elf thing, but everything he does is for the sake of an Emilia that doesn't really exist anymore, and that the present Emilia knows nothing about.
Or more like, an Emilia that never existed.

He probably didn't idolize to that extent after the first arc. It's just that in the second arc, when everything was going bad she was always his oasis. He could relax and be happy when she was around. He was kind of serious when he started thinking of her as an angel.

I think that the biggest thing was that lap pillow. Before she gave him a lap pillow he was completely panicked and had no idea what to do. That lap pillow had a huge effect on him.
moridin84 is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 16:55   Link #2131
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The part where everything falls apart is when he gets mad at everyone insulting Emilia. He makes a scene trying to act like a hero but then that knight guy verbally cuts him to shreds. He panics, he realizing that he doesn't have a leg to stand on (see http://i.imgur.com/BmK81D5.jpg) but he can't simply back down so he just doubles down on his stupidity.
I wouldn't say that part was problem. In fact as one of Sage concilers said his defense of her character against the verbal racism and discrimation that was being levelled at her among other things helped her. So none of that was an issue. The real problem happens when he named himself her Knight in front of the other Knights and things sprial down from there.
Applehell is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 18:08   Link #2132
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I wouldn't say that part was problem. In fact as one of Sage concilers said his defense of her character against the verbal racism and discrimation that was being levelled at her among other things helped her. So none of that was an issue. The real problem happens when he named himself her Knight in front of the other Knights and things sprial down from there.
The reason he got mad was because people were insulting her. So he defended her and then claimed to be her knight. He came forward with the intend on doing both of those things.

Besides that guy was just being nice. Emila didn't need defending. She can defend herself and for those that won't listen... they won't listen to Subaru either.
moridin84 is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 19:23   Link #2133
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
The reason he got mad was because people were insulting her. So he defended her and then claimed to be her knight. He came forward with the intend on doing both of those things.

Besides that guy was just being nice. Emila didn't need defending. She can defend herself and for those that won't listen... they won't listen to Subaru either.
Those two things did not immeditately happened one after another even if their where aimed at that same goal. Furthermore before Subaru spoke up for she was clearly taken aback and nervous by the insluts thrown at her. He didn't do anything wrong for sticking up for her there nor did anyone seem to have any problems (Emilia herself) with that. It was after her second speech where she was questioned about her Knight's whereabouts leading to Subaru trying to cover for her is where the problems begin. Even in the episode titles what conflict is about. Had he never claimed to be her Knight in order to help her, things would have proceeded without issue (Rom's party crash aside).

And the Head Sage clearly disagrees with your 2nd point. Yes it won't get rid of her stigma overnight or anything, but fact there is someone, a normal human at that, who supports her give some creditance to idea she might not be that bad. Especially because few would believe Emilia by her words alone.
Applehell is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 19:46   Link #2134
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Eh, I can't say I recall a point this where this happened. The closest they thing have have had towards a disagreement iwas invoking the use of Satella's name.
She admits to disregarding Puck in the same scene she agrees to go on his "date." I would call her general demeanor toward him in the most recent episodes as being in contrast to Puck's assurances about Subaru as well. What was it that he can do? Read a person's feelings and motives? Emilia questioned his reasons for helping her like he does, but she's fully aware of why he does it. It was never a secret. He's been very transparent about things throughout the series, yelling his thoughts and feelings out loud for all to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Emilia has trust issues with Subaru? That's an interesting way of looking at in. I don't think it's true though.

In the last arc Emilia seemed to trust him completely, always willing to help and defend him And when she asked him about the duel this arc, she started off thinking that he got a good reason for getting into the duel.

Subaru in the last 2 episodes wasn't really acting in a trustworthy manner. He even got involved with another candidate to throne, somehow. She doesn't know anything about his past and he doesn't explain important things (admittedly he can't). The fact that she can't bring herself to blindly trust him is completely reasonable. Despite his claims, all his actions have made things more difficult for her, not less. There's was no reason for him to barge into the meeting. It's just a meeting, what would she need help for?
First of all, it needs to be established that Emilia's a half-breed and a princess, and that a lot of people hate her. It's easy to forget that, apparently, so I'm not sure how you can say she doesn't have trust issues. She should have trust issues.

You would perhaps have a good point here if not for the fact that there's not a single person in this series beyond Emilia that has these problems with Subaru. Everyone else seems fine with Subaru and the explanations he's given, and especially the actions he's taken which show his allegiance. Not to mention her best friend in the whole world is a magical spirit that can say with complete certainty whether or not Subaru is a bad person, and he totally vouches for him. Puck even wanted her to help him save Roswaal's village in the previous arc. We're shown a very clear contrast between the way she treats Subaru and the way other people treat him. Additionally, in the previous arc Emilia still had a nasty tendency to baby Subaru the way she did in these last couple of episodes. She has good intentions, but she doesn't seem to realize how dismissive she is of him and his character. Most people would snap at her if she talked to them the way she talked to Subaru in the capital, telling him to stay and be good and trying to confine him to his lodging.

On that last bit, your claim that Subaru has made things more difficult for her, that's actually untrue. It was specifically established that his outburst forced Emilia to actually respond to the racist remarks that were made. Whether the outburst with the duel made a difference or not, given the dismissive tone of everyone in the room, I doubt they really cared all that much if Subaru got the shit kicked out of him.

Quote:
Why has he never explained he came from another world anyway? That's nothing to do with his curse.
That's a bit of a stretch to explain to anyone. Explaining that he's a foreigner is more than sufficient for now, and it's not as if Emilia will ever call that into question. I doubt that there would ever be a need to explain that he's actually from another world entirety.

Quote:
As for the other cast members. Rem distrusted him before but now I'm just she just blindly believes him. I don't know what Ram's opinion is but Roswaal certainly doesn't trust him. The other cast members aren't really in a situation yet where they need to trust him.
Roswaal doesn't trust him? Roswaal, Rem, and Ram all trust him plenty. You're misreading their reservations about him. They trust Subaru, they just don't fully understand the curse he's under. After he saved Roswaal's village they've pretty much run out of any reason not to trust him as someone that is allied with their interests. If Roswaal doesn't trust him, he has a strange way of showing it. Ram definitely trusts him now.

Quote:
Also, it's odd you claim that Emilia has trust issues and then describe her as naive. It seems like both of those can't be truth.
There's nothing odd about that. Let me assure you that you can be both.


Quote:
How would the Subaru of 2 episodes ago avoided this situation? It seems to me that he resolved the last arc by charging recklessly ahead and trying to solve everything himself.
I doubt this situation could've been avoided at all. The very nature of Subaru's power requires him to ignore her, and half the reason he was there because Roswaal shut her down when she tried to get him to leave. She was the only one who didn't want him there. The one legitimate complaint Emilia had in all this was that he broke her promise, and she should have known better than to make such a flimsy promise like that in the first place. Her questions in that conversation were about things that she already should have known the answer to, because they weren't secrets to begin with. How many times has Subaru proclaimed his admiration of Emilia? How many times has he said why he wants to help her? I'm not a brave enough man to try and tally all those times. The more I look at this conversation, the more bizarre Emilia's reasoning and motivation for having it becomes. If it had stopped at her mistrusting him because he broke her promise it would be fine and dandy, but she didn't, and that's where it all breaks down. It's like your typical argument from a bad married couple. Lots of questions, and lots of answers, but not any that anybody was willing to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Also, this episode answered another question that was previously asked/wondered which I think was not brought up in the discussion so far; ie. what constitutes the revealing of "Return By Death". Subaru didn't attempt to reveal his ability directly, but attempted to mention what happened in the first loop in the first arc to Emilia, and that was also out of bounds.
Unless I'm mistaken, Emilia didn't save Subaru in this continuity.
__________________

Last edited by Traece; 2016-06-27 at 19:56. Reason: Changed a significant error.
Traece is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 20:50   Link #2135
Applehell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
While I can agree that Emilia hasn't fully opened up to him yet, she didn't make that promise with Subaru because she distrusted him. She did because from her point of view he's been going to extreme lengths when comes to her defense to the point where he ends up nearly dying consisently or suffers emotionally. He's still recovering from those injuries he got from some of those conflicts and it's become a burden on her conscious because she has no idea what's driving him to that go far. Emilia is clearly not used to people doing things like this for her (remember she strongly insisted that Subaru should accept a better reward for his help against Elsa), but she knows will enough that he run off to her defense heedless of his own health. Hence why she decides to directly address this for once in hopes that he would back down this time if there were conditions. Emilia is only looking out for him by setting those terms which he accepted.

Subaru himself is more or less doing the samething, but from a different angle.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-06-27 at 22:12.
Applehell is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 22:27   Link #2136
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Subaru is a bit too genre savy and considers himself to be the protagonist of this story, and Emilia the heroine

that's really the root of most his troubles until now

he assumes he has more agency and influence that he actually has
he assumes the story follows Light Novel tropes
he assumes Emilia must follow a specific expectations and path since she's "obviously" the heroine

in hasn't set in yet, that he might be wrong on all of these
Key Board is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 23:00   Link #2137
Cicili
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
While I can agree that Emilia hasn't fully opened up to him yet, she didn't make that promise with Subaru because she distrusted him. She did because from her point of view he's been going to extreme lengths when comes to her defense to the point where he ends up nearly dying consisently or suffers emotionally. He's still recovering from those injuries he got from those conflicts and it's become a burden on her conscious because she has no idea what's driving him to that go far. Emilia is clearly not used to people doing things like this for her (remember she strongly insisted that Subaru should accept a better reward for his help against Elsa) , but she knows will enough that he run off to her defense heedless of his own health. Hence why she decides to directly address this for once in hopes that he would back down this time if there were conditions. Emilia is only looking out for him by setting those terms which he accepted.

Subaru himself is more or less doing the samething, but from a different angle.
This to me is Emilia's character flaw. It would probably be too strong a word to say she has trust issues with people. But it is quite obvious she has trouble understanding why anyone (eg Subaru) would give her unconditional love.

It's quite evident in their argument after Subaru got his ass whooped. The points flings against Subaru are stuff like.
1. You're doing it for yourself aren't you?
2. You broke my promise so i can't trust you anymore
3. You are doing it because i'm special right?

She's having trouble understanding unconditional love, she thinks "love" or maybe say help from others always carries with it a condition.
Emilia's thinking:
1. You're helping me to benifit yourself?
2. You need to keep a promise or i can't trust you anymore
3. You're helping me because i'm princess/king candidate.

While it may not seem too obvious. I feel that Emilia's character is built around her not understanding the concept of unconditional love. It's likely she has gotten a lot of shit from people for her being half elf, looks like Satella etc. Deep down inside she is not really a believer in the intrinsic good of people. For good reasons but still.
What Emilia may be thinking about the people around her atm:

Puck: helping her because contract
Roswall: cos i'm princess
Rem and Ram: cos they work for Roswall
Beatrice: is she even a helper?
Subaru: not even sure what to think about him.

It's quite ironic that her final goal if she is to become king is to have equality for the people. The whole thing is super ironic if you think about it. The one who is talking about equality doesn't truly believe in equality. Or at least she doesn't believe its a natural thing. In her eyes, equality and respect needs to be gained with the power of kingship, it needs to be enforced, it needs to be gained with power because there is no true equality in this world. And when you use force to enforce equality. You are imposing your ideals on other people from a superior position. Doesn't it already imply that you and the other party are not true equals?

Or lets say, would she really be happy if she became king. And forced everyone to follow her ideals of equality? No, i don't think so. Because she knows that they are forced to do it and its not real.

She doesn't show it, but you can tell that in her situation, she is actually quite lonely and vulnerable and really needs people to just reassure her. Which honestly is something that Subaru really sucks at. The guy just couldn't read a clue. Out of the whole Roswall household Subaru was most likely the one she trusted the most after Puck. I think she was honest when she said that she "had high hopes of him". Who else could she rely on in that household? It's not even a matter of who has the strength to help her. Roswaal is super strong but are you going to trust him? No.

Her whole ideal of equality through kingship is flawed and she herself doesn't realize it. She doesn't need to be king. She doesn't need you to have superpowers to help protect her. Poor girl just needs a real friend man. And Subaru doesn't get it despite her being his crush. Basically a death sentence in terms of eh love. I just know that he really isn't going to get the girl like that.

Still even after all i typed i think the one who needs to take most of the blame here is still Subaru. I would probably fault Subaru more for not actually understanding Emilia AT ALL more than all his silly antics. And also arc 1&2 has really made him slightly too over-confident, which leads to him acting retarded this episode.

The SubaruXEmilia ship is just going to sink so stupid fast. Both of them just don't seem that good at understanding other people.

Rem is just better btw. So no harm done.

Last edited by Cicili; 2016-06-27 at 23:27.
Cicili is offline  
Old 2016-06-27, 23:29   Link #2138
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
13 episode in and I still think that Subaru might be legally retarded, while Emilia gets the award for most generic and basic character I have ever seen. It seems that about the only interesting thing about this series is the reset mechanic and even that got boring in the last arc. As it stands at the moment i'm only watching to see what Felt does since she is about the only one I seem to be able to care about at this point.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline  
Old 2016-06-28, 00:10   Link #2139
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Washington
Age: 29
Haruyasha is offline  
Old 2016-06-28, 00:49   Link #2140
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity
 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: My House
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
13 episode in and I still think that Subaru might be legally retarded, while Emilia gets the award for most generic and basic character I have ever seen. It seems that about the only interesting thing about this series is the reset mechanic and even that got boring in the last arc. As it stands at the moment i'm only watching to see what Felt does since she is about the only one I seem to be able to care about at this point.
Subaru is a flawed MC. I swear to god people hate gary stu's but when there's a reversal of roles people they will still complain. He's only human, he provides realistic responses to the outright dangerous and treacherous environment he was pulled into. Mostly we would see people become timid or selfless once they overcome but there are those who would become extremely cautious, overprotective, unstable and selfish.
EDIT: As the entire thing was deleted (even though a minor part was spoilers) I shall revise my reasoning to be completely spoiler free
Emilia hasn't been developed in depth yet, Emilia says so herself that the image Subaru had of her was far too idealistic. How Subaru sees her is how we also see Emilia, and at this point it is not a spoiler but an inevitability that we will explore her character further.
__________________
Rage is like a blade.
Constant use will make it dull and weaken; it's user lacking purpose and aim. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with a mighty fire; a fierce blade, to cleave the one who beckoned their vengeance

Last edited by BladeMancer; 2016-07-01 at 03:04.
BladeMancer is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, fantasy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.