AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-07, 18:08   Link #21
Domonkazu

yep gonna watch this one

wait what princess is Chiwa Saito

Last edited by Domonkazu; 2014-10-07 at 18:50.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 18:55   Link #22
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well sadly from the opening it was kind of a given that the childhood friend was totally a bad guy. Still, a pretty strong start for this show.

Certainly can't find myself disliking the princess. A pretty reasonable attitude there considering her position. Losing that long hair will be a shame, but oh well. I'm going to guess it's the classic hair cutting for symbolism,.

Guess now the key is making a break for it. Too many traitors to deal with this situation. Retreat, maybe gather up an army, and then kick get some revenge.
Old 2014-10-07, 19:42   Link #23
Darthtabby

The main character in this one is a lot less of a brat than I was expecting given the preview I read. Overall a pretty good start. Of the two fallen princess stories this season, I prefer this one over the uncomfortably exploitative Cross Ange.

The one thing that has me really worried about this series is the ominous visuals in the OP.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 19:43   Link #24
risingfenix

Niche anime.
Pacing is great considering this studios track record.
As "generic" as everything about it appears, I havent seen an anime like this since Saiunkoko Monogatari which is a good thing.
OP is great.
Chiwa Saito nailed the performance hands down.
Seems to be the type of anime many people quit early, but end up coming back to due to word of mouth.
Depending on the development of the MC, people will love it or hate it.
This anime seemed to be made to cater to the manga fanbase I think which is great considered how much butchered and rushed material we get nowadays.
risingfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 19:57   Link #25
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Is this from a manwha or otome games?

I'll probably watch for awhile but I hope those ominous signs in the OP aren't a sign that this is going to end bad.
Old 2014-10-07, 20:05   Link #26
windseer
vocaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Is the original manga based on a korean story/folklore? I ask that because the first "weird" thing I noticed was that every characters have Korean first names, so it threw me a bit off when I learned the source material wasn't a manwha.

Since I didn't read the synopsis, the shoujo-ish tropes were a bit too much until shit hits the fan. The pace was alright, and the ending was a good hooking point. Let's see if the plot thickens next week.

Those clothes don't look Korean though. It looks more like chinese clothing in ancient china
windseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 20:21   Link #27
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Is this from a manwha or otome games?

I'll probably watch for awhile but I hope those ominous signs in the OP aren't a sign that this is going to end bad.
The source material is neither a manwha nor an otome game.

The source manga (which is Japanese) uses a mish-mash of Oriental cultural elements (at least in the chapters of the manga I have read). The names of the characters happens to be Korean. Depending on how far it gets in the story you will likely see other cultures as well.
Old 2014-10-07, 20:27   Link #28
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

The source manga (which is Japanese) uses a mish-mash of Oriental cultural elements (at least in the chapters of the manga I have read). The names of the characters happens to be Korean. Depending on how far it gets in the story you will likely see other cultures as well.
The dragons from the opening are also Korean style dragons, different number of claws than Chinese and Japanese ones.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 20:30   Link #29
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

Oh cool! This I'd probably would be interested in then.
Old 2014-10-07, 20:36   Link #30
risingfenix

Its kinda nice how Hak doesnt actively romance Yona and cares enough for her well being to let her be with the man she loves.

Too bad Su-Won went traitor on them.......
risingfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 21:38   Link #31
BPD Renegade

The instrumental OP was unexpected, but I really liked it. The mix of strings and woodwinds was quite catchy and had this strengthening "get up and go" feel to it.

As for the episode itself, I felt that it didn't flow very well. The transition from certain scenes seemed choppy at times, Hak drinking water then taking down the guards for example (I was expecting that water to be poisoned, btw). It might be because they were trying to squeeze in the betrayal before the episode ended, so I'm hoping things will eventually smooth out.

Regardless, I will keep watching this for the music.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 21:40   Link #32
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
What a entertaining first episode. The visuals for the scenery and characters were amazing and I like the bgm as it captured the essence of the Chinese imperial setting and culture etc. It's really refreshing to see a anime where it doesn't take place in Japan for a change. I still love Japanese settings don't get me wrong, but sometimes it great to break away from the norm every once in awhile.

I really enjoy the interactions between Hak and Yona. It's like a bigger brother making fun and messing with the younger sister, while Yona is a bit bratty and too love struck. I really enjoy Yona's characters and I really like how Chiwa was able to deliver her determined, sheltered, and prideful personally in such consistent ways. I don't know much about royalty but despite Yona's position to rule was female leadership really that delicate compared to male rulers during those times? I mean, she is royalty through and through, but I think people won't take her as seriously compared to males since they seem more hands on and more capable compared to the former.

But I digress...

Ahem:

It really sucks but not surprising that her love Soo-Won betrayed and murdered her dad after all those years of wanting him for so long. I'm really interested in knowing why he did it and what is plans are after it. It's clear that they wish to get rid of her, but I wonder what the bigger picture for doing so is.

Judging by the OP it looks like it'll be a reverse harem. Which I don't mind since I haven't seen to many. I truly enjoyed the first episode and I will be following this to see where this goes.
Old 2014-10-07, 21:42   Link #33
Irenesharda

This was an example of a princess that looses everything and faces betrayal and must rebuild herself--done right!

The story was simple, than animation is standard, the dialogue and script is pretty clunky especially where exposition is concerned. However, I still enjoyed this nevertheless. And guess what, Cross Ange? They could do it without unnecessary violent fanservice.

Honestly, if I had never read the summary or seen the OP, I would have never guessed Soo-Won for a traitor. He had really no indicators and he had really cute scenes with Yona, even little chibi scenes. So, it's interesting how this guy who was always close to her even as a child, was plotting to steal the throne. And no one even suspected him either. Usually in this situation, our male lead, Hak, would have already been suspicious and jealous of Soo-Won, however, he's just as clueless as everyone else, and he actually approved of the match. Color me surprised.

It will be interesting in seeing where this is going. I think this actually the first time I have ever seen a Korean story brought to life before, so it's a interesting new experience. I like how Yona in the future looks much more capable and determined and yet happy (pay attention, Cross Ange). I have a feeling that she cuts her hair to both hide her appearance and to separate herself from the thing Soo-Won said he loved about her.

I'm interested in this, and how Yona will deal with life on the run, learning to rebuild herself, and dealing with the love she's had for a man, who so heartlessly betrayed her.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 21:52   Link #34
BPD Renegade

^I agree with pretty much all your points.

Someone who read the manga mentioned the first chapter was the weakest. This plus what we've seen so far makes me look forward to seeing more of this. Glad it's a two-cour so we know it won't be rushed.

Also, someone uploaded the OP on youtube. I've been running it on repeat for a while now.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 22:25   Link #35
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wadafook? Mr. Traitor pretty much had the princess head over heels in love with him, Hak resigning himself to his place, AND Hak confident that Soo-won can convince the King to give him Yona's hand in marriage, and STILL he decides to go the path of usurping the royalty? Hearing that engagement between Yona and Hak must have REALLY tipped him over the edge and made him go full yandere. lol XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 22:49   Link #36
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Wadafook? Mr. Traitor pretty much had the princess head over heels in love with him, Hak resigning himself to his place, AND Hak confident that Soo-won can convince the King to give him Yona's hand in marriage, and STILL he decides to go the path of usurping the royalty? Hearing that engagement between Yona and Hak must have REALLY tipped him over the edge and made him go full yandere. lol XD
Well, it wasn't like she didn't tell him almost right afterward that she basically was in love with him. Also, he moved all of his guards and accomplices in, both before and after she told him.

He's been planning this for a while. But you are right, it really didn't make any sense for him to do it. He had the girl, and that marshmallow of a king would have caved to her desire eventually. All he had to do was be patient and then marry the girl and the kingdom would have been his by right. But of course patience seems to be the bane of many an evildoer. It's a shame really...he seemed like a really nice guy. Boring, but nice.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 23:39   Link #37
MgMaster

So,I’ll be content if I get something of Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii‘s caliber here. I know that show had it’s problems and I didn’t consider it exactly great but for someone who rarely watches shoujo anime like me(not that I watch many shounen shows either),I still liked it quite a bit.

That being said,I liked Soredemo as much as I did because it barely used it’s shoujo tropes and treated both it’s male & female viewers equally,which is always something nice to see. Akatsuki no Yona seems like it might play up the reserves harem tropes a bit. However, a main heroine surrounded by guys does seem more reasonable when the main character is a princess since it’d be only natural that she’ll have followers/guards.

The visuals & sound are nice too so no complaints there.

I'll definitely be following this.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-07, 23:50   Link #38
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Well, it was pretty obvious that what happened in the end was going to happen.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 01:30   Link #39
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Wow, I have to say that Akatsuki no Yona is better than Cross Ange judging from the first episode! I hope that it gets better next week!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-08, 02:12   Link #40
cupumanager

Its quite a pleasant surprise for me for Japanese Mangaka and Studio to create a series with Korean setting, considering how the Japanese feels regarding Korea.
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, akatsuki no yona, anime, fantasy, reverse harem, romance, shoujo, yona of the dawn