AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-04, 20:01   Link #241
BlckKnght

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
Her look shouldn't be used to indicate her intelligence or age. The socialogical context might be too different to make a fair judgemet (her status might come to play as well). Best to take her just as she is.
I find it amusing that Kyon is just as curious as us about Mikuru-chan's real age. Of course, she simply tells him "Classified" (according to the fansub) or "No Comment~" (in the novel).
Old 2006-05-05, 00:45   Link #242
lifestorm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
tell me about it, it's like going up to someone and saying "Boer War" and they think im talking about Aircraft Manufacturing competition designs, well that's what you get if you ask people in my Uni Engineering School I have no idea what a normal person would say.
Ah, the dreaded age of colonization, wave after wave of invading Europeans, poor Africans didn't stand a chance, they were even considered as nations. I feel really bad about it. However, I should be glad, as those events led up to this present, and therefore I exist.

^ that probably would be a normal person's answer. Not. :P

back on the topic of Asahina, I would think she is older biologically than the others, she has a sense of maturity, which is hard to notice considering the fact that she's weak, cute, and cry a lot. But from her speech, i would think she has a serious and mature side. However, no one wants serious, they want moe :P
Old 2006-05-05, 01:49   Link #243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suspect Mikuru comes from a future where people live, shall we guess, a *lot* longer and she may be quite legal in any jurisdiction in any timeplane

but... this thread is about translating the novel.. how the hell did we get to the Boer War and Mikuru's age?
(goes to scan back up the thread)

ah well.. just got through reading the wiki translation... have no idea about the accuracy and some of it seems to need a bit of "creative license" to smooth bits out but its definitely good stuff. Thanks to all who have participated. I'd love to help more but I find myself thoroughly challenged by the likes of Yotsuba& and Mahoraba... much less the techno-jargon that infests these books

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-05-05 at 02:25.
Old 2006-05-05, 02:29   Link #244
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestorm2
Ah, the dreaded age of colonization, wave after wave of invading Europeans, poor Africans didn't stand a chance, they were even considered as nations. I feel really bad about it. However, I should be glad, as those events led up to this present, and therefore I exist.
Without wanting to start a particularly acrimonious debate, I have to say:

1) The Boer War had nothing to do with colonization of Africans by Europeans, nor was it a case of Boers vs. Black Africans -- it was British Empire vs. Boers. As usual, the British were expert innovators. The nation that gave the world the military innovation called "terror bombardment" (Copenhagen 1807) used the Boer war to try out another invention: concentration camps. You can always rely upon the British to be expert innovators in military atrocities. Whichever war crime you can think of, the British did it first, and most efficiently (though I will admit the Germans did sort of show them up during WW2).

2) It is true that the Boers pushed out the Black Africans and treated them badly. However, it is an often-neglected fact that the same local African tribes (Bantu-speakers) who were victimized by the Boers had themselves victimized the previous locally resident tribes (Khoisan-speakers and others), when they migrated to the region during previous centuries (originating in the region of present-day Nigeria). It is, of course, not okay to victimize anyone -- but it shouldn't be forgotten that the Bantu-speakers were guilty of the same misdeeds that they now wish to exclusively blame the Boers for.

3) The Boers really aren't a European nation in Africa. In many ways, they are just another African tribe themselves. Certainly, they've adopted many of the ways of the continent, and can't really be thought of as Europeans -- any more than the people of the U.S.A. or Brazil can.
Old 2006-05-05, 02:35   Link #245
Julius Firefocht

You guys are grossly off-topic here. Let's get back on topic, yes?
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-05-05, 04:10   Link #246
arcticphoenix16

staying on topic, I discovered that no one touched novel #2 for a week. So I decided to start translating the prologue. Disclaimer: MY ENGLISH IS VERY BAD! PLEASE HELP ME CORRECT MY MISTAKES!
Old 2006-05-05, 06:40   Link #247
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticphoenix16
staying on topic, I discovered that no one touched novel #2 for a week. So I decided to start translating the prologue. Disclaimer: MY ENGLISH IS VERY BAD! PLEASE HELP ME CORRECT MY MISTAKES!
You will have to register with thelastguardian if you want to translate. I'll let him decide.

I had wanted to move on to volume 2 myself once I finished volume 1, but not that I mind.

I've now set sights on translating volume 4 instead. Volume 4 is a true page-turner, I only started reading last night and I'm only two chapters short now. Not to mention

Spoiler for vol4:
Old 2006-05-05, 07:47   Link #248
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticphoenix16

Hello ArcticPhoenix16

Thanks for your contribution, i have sent you a message, and have also informed thelastguardian.

Can i please ask you to not add anymore translated text, until thelastguardian has contacted you?

I know this sounds contridictive to the open source nature of the Project. But it is one of the only rules we ask all user to follow.
(don't want thelastguardian to get angry and pull the plug on the whole project )

In the mean time may i ask all users to not edit the chapters until further notice.

However Arctic, feel free to proofread & Edit the other chapters.

Thanks.
Old 2006-05-05, 09:53   Link #249
DenisKoh

Just finished reading book one of the Chinese translated novel. Those terminologies about the orgins of Haruhi by Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki are driving me crazy.

Furthermore the dialogs of Kyon are not quoted, so it's a little confusing whether he is actually speaking it out or just rendering in this mind.
Old 2006-05-05, 10:03   Link #250
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
I've now set sights on translating volume 4 instead. Volume 4 is a true page-turner, I only started reading last night and I'm only two chapters short now.
Volume 4 is even better than 3? I thought 3 is the best so far. (have not started 4 yet).
Old 2006-05-05, 12:55   Link #251
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

whew. the project is generating alot of interest.

First of all, i'll like to thank everyone for your help, without you haruhiist, this project would not of taken off.

now on to the important part.

There has been a number of new users who have taken the liberity add some translated text, without Registration or have any comfirmation from TLG.

While I personally see no objections, but all new Translators must Inform Thelastguardian.
I just wish to make this clear to anyone else who wish to contribute anymore translated text.
This is one of the only rules we have for this project, and only TLG has the final say on this.

However, want to stress to Skythewood & ArcticPhoenix16 and anyone else, that it is only a matter of formality, and that all it will mean is a slight delay, those chapters which you have added the translated text, we not be removed, but please do not edit, or add anymore scripts until you have been replied by TLG and your names have been added to the Translator list, which only thelastguardian has the unspoken authority to edit.

In the meantime, please continue to help us by proof-reading the previous chapters, as those who has access to any of the novels are always valuable contributors.

thanks!

P.S: If anyone have any inquiries please do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 2006-05-05, 16:56   Link #252
velocity7

Major edit done to chapter 4. You may look over the edits done in the discussion page.

Kinny Riddle: "No comment" should be "Classified information" instead, as the novel has the line 「禁則事項です」.
Old 2006-05-05, 23:30   Link #253
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7
Major edit done to chapter 4. You may look over the edits done in the discussion page.

Kinny Riddle: "No comment" should be "Classified information" instead, as the novel has the line 「禁則事項です」.
I noticed that as well after translating, I simply translated literally what the Chinese version gave me, but I decided to let you editors take care of that.
Old 2006-05-06, 10:06   Link #254
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Chapter 07, volume 01. updated. thanks kinny!

Edit: OMG! OMG! OMG!

sorry i meant OMH! OMH! OMH! YUUUUUKKIIIII!! DAAAAMMMMEEEE!

*cries over the incomplete chapter 07*

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2006-05-06 at 10:18.
Old 2006-05-06, 13:17   Link #255
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Chapter 07, volume 01. updated. thanks kinny!

Edit: OMG! OMG! OMG!

sorry i meant OMH! OMH! OMH! YUUUUUKKIIIII!! DAAAAMMMMEEEE!

*cries over the incomplete chapter 07*
What're you crying about? Vol 1 Ch 7 is complete.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume1_Chapter7

It was a pain trying to get Yuki's HTML instant messaging right, I had to learn how to use the <br> command to break the lines so that the readers don't have to scroll the page left and right as a result of the html not knowing how to crop text.

I'll do the epilogue and author's and publisher's notes after I get some sleep.
Old 2006-05-06, 13:35   Link #256
dannyz

Spoiler:

LOL, I nearly choked laughing that was so funny.

Edit: Also, "Yo, how's been been?" sounds pretty strange to me.
Old 2006-05-06, 16:37   Link #257
Shyvnal

Send a message via MSN to Shyvnal
Talking

Just finished reading chapter 7 vol1, and i wana thnk you guys so much, best novel ive read in a long time.
And if anyone knows of any novels like this one, please tell me, very intersted ^^
Old 2006-05-06, 20:00   Link #258
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
What're you crying about? Vol 1 Ch 7 is complete.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume1_Chapter7

It was a pain trying to get Yuki's HTML instant messaging right, I had to learn how to use the <br> command to break the lines so that the readers don't have to scroll the page left and right as a result of the html not knowing how to crop text.

I'll do the epilogue and author's and publisher's notes after I get some sleep.
obviously i had to go to work before you completed it.

*just got back from the Nightclub*

Time to read! yay!
Old 2006-05-07, 03:40   Link #259
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Volume 1 is fully translated now.

The editor's note was harder to translate than the story itself.

I'm gonna take a break before moving on the volume 3 "Lone Island Syndrome".
Old 2006-05-07, 03:47   Link #260
Runningkid

nice work i manage to print it all off, looking at the thick pile now, just shows how much work u guys have put into it! thanks
Closed Thread