AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-03, 07:49   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Maria-sama licensed by RightStuf / Nozomi Entertainment

Update: The first three seasons of Maria-sama ga Miteru have now been licensed by RightStuf / Nozomi Entertainment. 6th March 2008.

It appears that Geneon has registered the following domain name

Mariasamadvd.com (Maria-sama ga Miteru)

Since we haven't seen any official announcement, then AnimeSuki will consider the title as unlicensed at this point in time. For now, this thread can be used to discuss aspects of the rumoured license. It is also unclear just how much of the series they might be considering to license, they might see how the sales go with the first series before committing to the second and third series.

Quote:
Registrant:
Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.
2265 East 220th Street
Long Beach,, CA 90810
US
Domain Name: MARIASAMADVD.COM
Record created on 12-Jan-2007

Last edited by xris; 2008-03-06 at 16:21. Reason: License has now been announced
Old 2007-03-03, 08:13   Link #2
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
I though Geneon always had the license the only question was whether it would ever made to the US market.
Old 2007-03-04, 01:19   Link #3
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Hm.. Looks promising. I was thinking about starting to buy the 1st and 2nd season.

I just hope they don't license and then sit on it like forever. I also hope that they include the Naisho, too.
Old 2007-03-04, 06:32   Link #4
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Maybe Tokyopop Germany will license the Anime too if it gets released in the US. :3
Old 2007-03-04, 09:58   Link #5
glainfach
One of the Unlost

Send a message via AIM to glainfach Send a message via MSN to glainfach Send a message via Yahoo to glainfach
Well this is exciting news. I hope this turns out to be true. Geneon is holding a contest right now over on ANN to guess their next license. I can't say the clues they've given out so far fit Marimite well, but you never know.

So, do we start guessing on English casting yet? Debate whether Geneon will keep 'Onee-sama' and 'Gokigenyo' in the script? Will there be a deluxe set and what might be in it? The mind boggles at the endless possibilities!
Old 2007-03-04, 18:21   Link #6
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I feel like I've been waiting years to see something say "Maria-sama ga Miteru licensed". This makes me very happy if they do decide to license it. And like most people feel I just hope they don't sit on the title for too long.
Old 2007-03-13, 12:20   Link #7
Dop
Mmmm....

Dear Geneon,
Please, take more of my money. Here, it's yours, my credit card number is blah.blah.blah.blah. Just subtitle things nicely and include all the extras.
That's all I ask.

Seriously, fingers crossed on this one.
Old 2007-04-06, 12:30   Link #8
Light.

If I could get subtitles, I would buy this in a heartbeat. License away.
Old 2007-04-17, 09:50   Link #9
Amaranthine

Huh...

Apparently it's going to be released as a complete box set, with subs only. Makes sense I guess (not exactly going to be a huge seller), but it's still kinda suprising. And it's coming out real soon.
Old 2007-04-17, 11:45   Link #10
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Huh...

Apparently it's going to be released as a complete box set, with subs only. Makes sense I guess (not exactly going to be a huge seller), but it's still kinda suprising. And it's coming out real soon.
Maybe not...

From AnimeonDVD.com:

Quote:
Geneon Denies License Rumors (12:02 PM EDT): According to information received from Geneon Entertainment, the information that Diamond Distribution has posted is incorrect. These were titles from an old plan that Geneon was working to acquire. They are in the process of contacting Diamond to have that erroneous information removed.
Old 2007-04-17, 13:36   Link #11
mdauben

I hope that while the rumor of an American release for Marimite is not a rumor, that the Diamond webpage is a mistake (and not just a premature leak). While I know there is a very dedicated following for this series, a $100US, sub only release for a niche series like this that was only 13 episodes to begin with, is likely to restrict any sales to just that hardcore Marimite crowd.

I'd rather see a release more likely to appeal to a broader market segment at a slightly better price (subbed and dubbed, with a $80-90US list price. More in line with the Haibane-Renmei box set, for example), so that it would be more likely generate the sort of sales that would encourage them to release the second and third seasons, too.

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-04-17 at 16:35.
Old 2007-04-17, 17:21   Link #12
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Honestly I have issue with Diamond Videovault synopsis for Marimite. It read to me like some very cheese yuri.
Old 2007-10-02, 08:53   Link #13
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Shoot, with Geneon going bust, Marimite being licensed seems more and more a distant future. I shouldn't have waited for Geneon USA and bought R2. My 'first press buy queue' is too long for me to buy any Marimite DVDs at the moment.... (R2 are really expensive).
Old 2007-10-03, 04:43   Link #14
Stephanie
You can reach for my hand

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephanie
Wow! Cool!

I look forward to buying original series and OVA of Maria-sama.. n_n

Now, that it's getting licensed, I believe this Maria-sama forum may be erased..
As what's in AnimeSuki are all but unlicensed anime..

The only thing lonely about it is.. I may not see anymore of Maria-sama discussions.
Old 2007-10-03, 08:51   Link #15
RavenHawk
Tsundere Killer

Send a message via MSN to RavenHawk Send a message via Yahoo to RavenHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Wow! Cool!

I look forward to buying original series and OVA of Maria-sama.. n_n

Now, that it's getting licensed, I believe this Maria-sama forum may be erased..
As what's in AnimeSuki are all but unlicensed anime..

The only thing lonely about it is.. I may not see anymore of Maria-sama discussions.
Rats! And I still have much to accomplish here. Well at least now I can get my DVD's.
Old 2007-10-03, 10:44   Link #16
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Uhh... read the posts above you. The only way you're going to get marimite DVDs is by buying the R2s from Japan.

Right now the odds of it getting licensed here are slim to none, unfortunately. With Geneon the rights-holder being out of the US picture now, well, I wouldn't be holding my breath. Might be more productive to just learn Japanese.
Old 2007-10-03, 10:49   Link #17
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

It's really unfortunate. I was happy when Geneon and got the domain name and all---but now with their downfall it seems like getting an R1 release if going to be tough.
Old 2007-10-09, 02:37   Link #18
Jman502005
Meh...

Send a message via AIM to Jman502005 Send a message via MSN to Jman502005 Send a message via Yahoo to Jman502005
Its so sad that Geneon has to be going under when they have the chance to bring this great anime to R1, be that just subbed or a sub/dub. I mean, this show does have a fairly good following from what I've seen, and I know I'd get the complete set. I can't believe Geneon is just going to give up, if ADV can't do it, I know Funimation or Viz Media would try. We all know that Funimation wants a larger chunk of the pie, though Viz does really like only doing larger series like Inu-Yasha and Bleach so I don't if they put much into it.
Old 2007-10-09, 10:44   Link #19
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman502005 View Post
Its so sad that Geneon has to be going under when they have the chance to bring this great anime to R1, be that just subbed or a sub/dub. I mean, this show does have a fairly good following from what I've seen, and I know I'd get the complete set. I can't believe Geneon is just going to give up, if ADV can't do it, I know Funimation or Viz Media would try. We all know that Funimation wants a larger chunk of the pie, though Viz does really like only doing larger series like Inu-Yasha and Bleach so I don't if they put much into it.
Yeah I feel like our only hope is ADV and well...let's just say I'd be much happier if Geneon would do it. But I wonder if ADV(or any other company for that matter) has any plans of picking it up?
Old 2007-10-10, 02:16   Link #20
Jman502005
Meh...

Send a message via AIM to Jman502005 Send a message via MSN to Jman502005 Send a message via Yahoo to Jman502005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsMane View Post
Yeah I feel like our only hope is ADV and well...let's just say I'd be much happier if Geneon would do it. But I wonder if ADV(or any other company for that matter) has any plans of picking it up?
All I can say is we can only hope.
Closed Thread