AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-09, 00:48   Link #27401
willx
Nyaaan~~

Buddhists commit plenty of violence. To think otherwise is ridiculous.
Old 2013-04-09, 00:52   Link #27402
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Too young to be in the government. I figure he might have been in his early 20s when he left in a fishing boat in 1979, though he might have been 18 or 19 as he wasn't old enough for military service in the South Vietnamese Army, but his father was (and was in the camps until I think the 1990s.)
Old 2013-04-09, 01:24   Link #27403
Ridwan

Guys, stop ruining my 19th century delusions !
Old 2013-04-09, 01:29   Link #27404
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

If so then there's even more reason to doubt his information. Back in those day, people like him was very easy to be drown in false information ( Some young Vietnamese that I met in US still believe that our country is still a war-torn zone and filled with concentration camps. The sad thing is they all told me that's what they heard from their parents - people with heavy resentment toward the country due to the war and it's consequence. ). If there's actually something atrocious like mass murdering Muslims in Việt Nam, I don't think the world's Muslim commnunity would sit around doing nothing. In fact, things like that are more than enough to make our country a prime target for all those Jihad warriors

Still, if you still have doubt then maybe you should visit Việt Nam or do some more research about religions in Việt Nam. Religion prohibition is really out of the question since our country is filled with 54 ethnic groups ( Each with their own belief and culture ).
Old 2013-04-09, 01:40   Link #27405
Ridwan

I thought it was Cambodia who massacred its muslims ?
Old 2013-04-09, 02:11   Link #27406
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Also happening in Sri Lanka...
Probably a branch of buddhism that has not much to be linked with the group led by the Dalai-Lama for decades. And I guess culture plays a part in there too.

Quote:
Buddhists also have a record of both passive and active nonviolence, often reflected by national culture. In Burma, monks have advocated nonviolence during the 2007 anti-government protests amongst many other occasions; Engaged Buddhism arose in Vietnam as a means of protest prior to the Vietnam War.
However, what's odd about Myanmar (formerly Burma) is that those people were using nonviolence for decades against the military junta until recently and then suddenly change their tone a few years later. Is that even possible? Something must be wrong somewhere.
Old 2013-04-09, 02:28   Link #27407
Ridwan

Dalai-Lama isn't a Universal Buddhist Pope or anything. Also, Buddhism is certainly as capable of forming violent movements and sporting antagonistic tones toward "other" as any other religion. Myanmar in fact, is one case where it's especially visible, dating back from resistance against British colonialism.
Old 2013-04-09, 05:30   Link #27408
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: The backroom battle delaying reform of China's one-child policy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93714S20130408
Old 2013-04-09, 05:48   Link #27409
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Probably a branch of buddhism that has not much to be linked with the group led by the Dalai-Lama for decades. And I guess culture plays a part in there too.

However, what's odd about Myanmar (formerly Burma) is that those people were using nonviolence for decades against the military junta until recently and then suddenly change their tone a few years later. Is that even possible? Something must be wrong somewhere.
After the country's transition to democracy, president allow the freely demonstration by the group and the method to handle riots are very much relax unlike the previous dictator government. And there is a freedom to publish the information, media freedom as well. The last time under the dictatorship, the government control and manipulate the information so even if there were violence, they were not spread easily. Right now there are a lot of misinformation and sometimes extreme views are everywhere once the riot started.

For the violence from the Buddhist side, they are Buddhist extremist. There is a movement called 969 that urge not to make transition at the muslin shops. There are a lot of people in Myanmar Buddhists and against those movement and extremist views. No religion in the word ask the follower to kill and discrimate the others, thats what I believe.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Old 2013-04-09, 07:22   Link #27410
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Vajrayana =/= Theravada and even within those schools there's plenty of sub-divisions
Old 2013-04-09, 09:18   Link #27411
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Gelug-pa is just one sect within the bigger pool of Buddhism. It's actually very small compared to say, the sects in Japan or Korea.
Old 2013-04-09, 09:33   Link #27412
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Also happening in Sri Lanka...
Yeah the BBC been reporting about it.

What's worse is the fact these hardline Buddhists are supported by Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, brother of the president.
Old 2013-04-09, 10:17   Link #27413
JokerD

OK.. here's something I found odd...

On 17 Jan, a US Navy ship, USS Guardian ran aground on Tubattaha Reef, Philipines
US minesweeper stuck on reef off Philippines

This ship was later deemed a total lost, de-commissioned and cut up to get it off
Stuck Minesweeper to Be Cut Into Pieces

Here's the funny part:
The USS Warrior will replace the USS Guardian in the 7th fleet
USS Warrior to replace grounded Guardian
However, the entire crew of the USS Guardian will replace the USS Warrior's

Quote:
“The Guardian’s crew will become the Warrior’s crew,” Harley said.

The news ends speculation on the status of the Guardian’s crew, which has been without a ship since the incident last month. Harley expected they would be relieved to hear they will stay together in Sasebo and will once again find themselves patrolling the seas of the 7th Fleet’s area of operations.
Anyone knows if this is usual practice. From my knowledge, the crew of the ship usually stays with the ship wherever it goes...

Note: The command team of the ex-USS Guardian is replaced only recently with that of the USS Warrior
Senior Leadership from Ex-USS Guardian Fired

Edit: Why the heck did they SHIP the USS Warrior to Japan on a flatbed?? It can sail can't it?

Last edited by JokerD; 2013-04-09 at 10:28.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:17   Link #27414
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not without a crew.
Old 2013-04-09, 12:01   Link #27415
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Probably a branch of buddhism that has not much to be linked with the group led by the Dalai-Lama for decades.
I just floor by how ignorant that statement is.

The Dalai-Lama is the spiritual leader of a Sect of Lama within Tibet. He is not even the supreme leader of all the sects in Tibetans. Each Sect have their own Spiritual leader who reincarnates.

The various other branches of Buddhism in China, Korea, Japan and etc have absolutely no link to each other.

The Dalai-Lama unlike how the western media likes to portray him is NOT the supreme spiritual leader of all Buddhist. He is not even the supreme leader of Tibetans.
Old 2013-04-09, 12:06   Link #27416
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Yeah the BBC been reporting about it.

What's worse is the fact these hardline Buddhists are supported by Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, brother of the president.
Not like the Sri Lanka government is any better than the LTTE....

The whole world knows of your massacres no matter how much you try to deny them
Old 2013-04-09, 12:19   Link #27417
willx
Nyaaan~~

Sigh, extreme beliefs are extreme, yo! I'm getting disillusioned by humanity again..

/statementabout99%ofpeoplebeingstupid
Old 2013-04-09, 13:54   Link #27418
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

At least 14 people injured in stabbing at Houston college
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9380Y420130409
Old 2013-04-09, 14:21   Link #27419
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Buddhist commit plenty of violence but not many in history have committed it in the name of Buddha.
Old 2013-04-09, 17:40   Link #27420
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
pffff, dey not true buddhists...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international