AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-05, 18:57   Link #1441
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Awesome, and its pure american drawn. And it isnt too bad. The Japanese didn't like her that much compared to Lynette.
Old 2008-11-05, 21:26   Link #1442
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I tried to siff through the pages, but is it ever clearly defined why the women don't wear any pants? I stopped watching at ep 3 and i don't recall an explanation other than guesses/hypothesis other people made.
Essentially, itīs just fanservice. Searching for any other reason is like searching for the Buddha's true nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Posted for great justice:

HQ, colored, and its Beurling.
Might as well post the artists page, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Awesome, and its pure american drawn. And it isnt too bad. The Japanese didn't like her that much compared to Lynette.
Actually, pure Israeli drawn~ (yes, Israel has anime fans. You should see that video from an Israeli convention with all the Touhou cosplayers...and, er, crossplayers...Flan ;_
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 09:18   Link #1443
suki-gin
AnimeSuki Lurker

Send a message via AIM to suki-gin Send a message via MSN to suki-gin
Strike Witches fandom is all over probably due to the chracters' different nationality.
Nice pic of the troublemaker, by the way.
suki-gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 07:41   Link #1444
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Might as well post the artists page, right?
Right, for those interested: source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I tried to siff through the pages, but is it ever clearly defined why the women don't wear any pants? I stopped watching at ep 3 and i don't recall an explanation other than guesses/hypothesis other people made.
Why the Witches don't wear pants has never been properly explained as far as I know, but why other girls don't wear pants has. Long story short: Idolization.

People idolize the Witches, and like all idols, people try to be like them.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 10:48   Link #1445
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Right, for those interested: source.

Why the Witches don't wear pants has never been properly explained as far as I know, but why other girls don't wear pants has. Long story short: Idolization.

People idolize the Witches, and like all idols, people try to be like them.

Anyway, it's explained in the novels as being for convenience's sake. Since they're almost always on standby, it just helps to make sure nothing gets in the way. However, in the novel they say that just about all Witches go about in miniskirts or similar, not completely pantsless, and you can see that just about all witches (except for the anime witches) have uniforms with skirts, or uniforms which are long enough to preserve some modesty.

Also, there's none of the nonsense with other girls not wearing pants. People may idolize them, but afair it's never been mentioned that they go to that extent in the novels (and the witches go around in miniskirts anyway). Not too many non-witch females are described in the novels, so it's hard to tell, but girls wear dresses and skirts just fine in the manga. Tomoko also gets and wears a full-length dress.

Nor do they ever insist that their panties are really pants in the main novels. They mention putting on underwear (or taking it off ) a few times, but no denial with regards to what their panties are. On an interesting note, the Otome no Maki side novel with the anime characters have them calling their panties panties (pantsu), not pants (zubon), when Yoshika has to haul Lucchini around by the panties after the latter gets her Striker damaged during battle.

Anyway, [/ramble]
Old 2008-11-07, 14:34   Link #1446
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Anime only fanservice I presume, Gonzo needed a selling point and et viola. Panties as Zubon seems to work well for the anime.
Old 2008-11-08, 15:14   Link #1447
Sigurd
Abyss Walker

Yeah, and it makes a good joke, ep7 anyone? Anyway, I don't try to make much sense out of pantless nature in the anime. Those panties are called pants in that world, and they leave it at that.

selkirk, thanks a lot for your awesome translation works. The novel is superb. (Can't wait to read more!)

Speaking of which, do you plan to translate more of the himegoe CDs? I think the character interviews are very interesting and give more insights of the witches, their abilities and the tidbits.
Sigurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 15:53   Link #1448
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Yeah, and it makes a good joke, ep7 anyone? Anyway, I don't try to make much sense out of pantless nature in the anime. Those panties are called pants in that world, and they leave it at that.

selkirk, thanks a lot for your awesome translation works. The novel is superb. (Can't wait to read more!)

Speaking of which, do you plan to translate more of the himegoe CDs? I think the character interviews are very interesting and give more insights of the witches, their abilities and the tidbits.
Although mind you there are smack dabs of fanservice in the novel, more blantant Les Yay than the Anime SW. Although mind you, There was almost no art where pantsu can be seen.
Old 2008-11-09, 18:13   Link #1449
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
Anime only fanservice I presume, Gonzo needed a selling point and et viola. Panties as Zubon seems to work well for the anime.
Gonzo did plenty of tries before but majority are ended up bad.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 22:57   Link #1450
Guppy

Quote:
Although mind you there are smack dabs of fanservice in the novel, more blantant Les Yay than the Anime SW.
Fanservice, huh? I guess you could call it that...

Spoiler for novel vol. 3:
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 01:40   Link #1451
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

We will need picture evidence of that scene in Vol.3 of course :P
Old 2008-11-11, 02:18   Link #1452
einhorn303

This recent news may be bad news for Strike Witches season two:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ut-from-8-to-4

Shitty mmorpg adaptions have higher priority than the best otaku show of the year...so unfair.
Old 2008-11-11, 02:51   Link #1453
mg1942

*facepalm*
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 03:03   Link #1454
Solafighter
Hige

2nd season? About what? Vietnam, golf or first irak conflict?

lol just kidding.

Well lets see, what the future will bring.
Old 2008-11-11, 03:41   Link #1455
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I have sincere doubts that a company would drop their to this point best selling series since years for unknowns and lesser selling ones.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 03:53   Link #1456
Guppy

Quote:
We will need picture evidence of that scene in Vol.3 of course :P
Ask selkirk. I've only got the e-book version of volume 3 - no illustrations except the front cover, the cheapskates.

Old 2008-11-11, 05:56   Link #1457
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Ask selkirk. I've only got the e-book version of volume 3 - no illustrations except the front cover, the cheapskates.

Spoiler for List of Book 3 pictures:
Pics that could be considered H, or are in some way related to fanservice, are conveniently indented .

Bullets really don't like spoiler tags, so I've put real spoilers in background color text... then I remembered that the default AS colors are different <_<. Switch to the vBulletin style if you want a general list of what the pics show... spoilers are further spoilerized.

There's significantly more pics in Book 3 than Book 2, but the Book 2 ones are generally a lot more detailed. The pics in Book 3 are all rather bland single character shots.

As for second season... Humikane's and Suzuki's blogs, and the official site (particularly the end of Sakamoto's 6th history lecture, which was put up after the last episode aired), have all dropped a number of hints at/desire to do a second season, but of course nothing solid yet. Another hint is the hiring of a somewhat popular and rising VA to voice, what, 4 lines? for Suwa Amaki. There are also more freebie campaigns being offered on the main site.

Book 4 of the novels is coming out in early Spring 2009.
Taglines:
「わたしは女の子が好きなんだろうか?」 <-- ......
「わたしたちは何と戦っているんだろう?」 <-- !!!
物語はクライマックスへ---!

The DS and PS2 games are also scheduled to come out in early Spring 2009.

I'm hoping for maybe a Summer 2009 season 2, but maybe they'll make it coincide with the novel and games? I'd say it's more a matter of when, not if, there'll be an S2, considering how well it sold, and how popular it's gotten. (An SW-only event not even 2 months after a 12 episode series ended, with another planned for 6 months later? I don't think I've ever heard of anything remotely like that)

[/ramble again]

Last edited by selkirk; 2008-11-11 at 09:46. Reason: Whoops, left out an へ
selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 09:42   Link #1458
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
「わたしは女の子が好きなんだろうか?」
What, they're trying to pretend that's still an issue?
Old 2008-11-11, 14:25   Link #1459
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Shame Selkirk can't bring the images over to baka tsuki just yet.
Old 2008-11-11, 15:09   Link #1460
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Another hint is the hiring of a somewhat popular and rising VA to voice, what, 4 lines? for Suwa Amaki.
I hope that Suwa Amaki does appear in S2...I've been rewatching that last minute or so of episode 12 again and again just to hear her lines. She's the same VA as Sora from Sketchbook ~Full Colors~, which imho is basically the most moe character ever. And Potemayo, and Mikan from To Love Ru...looking over her roles, it's impressive how many of them are key moe roles compared to how very few she's done.

Makes me realize another way in which SW is unrealistic...in real life, you wouldn't be allowed to join the Navy if you had impaired vision...Perrine too, would not be able to enlist.

If S2 is announced, should we start a new thread for it? This thread has already gotten rather bloated and cluttered, it may be good to start afresh for the new season. Especially if it has a new cast.

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume