AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-25, 13:05   Link #4041
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
How i miss this series maybe i will follow suite and do a re watch one of my favorites as well. It seems we dont get quality romance shows like Kimikiss as often as we use too.

im still reading Kimikiss various heroins.
Yeah, kimikiss was so a gem. It has been a while since any anime has made me agonize for the next episode like kimikiss did.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 13:07   Link #4042
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah Kimikiss is quite the special gem of a series. Still to this day i listen to the soundtrack quite a lot. & it's doing it's job of reminded me of all those magical scenes.

Wouldn't mind rewatching it at some point in the near future, plus i need to start Various Heroines.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:08   Link #4043
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... even though it is a kasai kenichi series I've been meaning to follow for a while, the massive bad publicity that the title received back in the day kind of made me put this title in the back burner. Whatever was that about anyway? I only remember people complaining about an unfaithful version to the original game, a massive backslash in Japan and everything short of posting destroyed Kimikiss merchandise on japanese blogs.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 13:10   Link #4044
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm... even though it is a kasai kenichi series I've been meaning to follow for a while, the massive bad publicity that the title received back in the day kind of made me put this title in the back burner. Whatever was that about anyway? I only remember people complaining about an unfaithful version to the original game, a massive backslash in Japan and everything short of posting destroyed Kimikiss merchandise on japanese blogs.
If i remember correctly, it was mainly to do with how the adaptation was handled compared to the source material. You know how matters like these can get seriously out of hand most of the time.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:19   Link #4045
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was a clever reinterpretation of the source material that gave the series much more life-like feeling with an ensemble cast and multiple relationship threads. I've gotten to the point where I don't understand people who want an anime adaptation of an eroge to just remap the linear-serial "choose the girl" limitations of that medium. It is such a limited simplistic result.

The best adaptations, imo, are the ones that take the source material and adapt them to fit the modalities of animation. Straight romance (Lamune), triangle (Canvas 2) are just much more interesting as was KKPR in its ensemble mode.

Frankly, if the studios just want to give the rigid eroge fans "what they want", they should just produce a group of mini-stories - each covering one path to the end. Maybe they get some perverse pleasure over having fans agonize over whether "their girl" will be chosen and having all the "loser girls" just drift in limbo pining for the guy. That last part is really what gets me... none of the unchosen girls ever get to move on with life. Quite cruel and selfish actually.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:20   Link #4046
golthin

Quote:
IT was from the "CORE" fans that the series was hoping to ride to success that caused the series to do poorly on "DVD sales". The core fans were the people that played the game. the series succeeded in one aspect, it help increase the sales for the game when it was reissued a second time during the series broadcast.

Fans were opposed to what they did to some of the characters, they split the male character in two. They changed one of the heroines personalities a little and other small things. I believe kimikiss did well in the raitings, but people that watch TV in Japan rarely buy DVD. Kimikiss DVDs were selling bellow 2000 unit per volume and they were expecting at least 10000 units per volume.
Old 2009-08-25, 13:48   Link #4047
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
How i miss this series maybe i will follow suite and do a re watch one of my favorites as well. It seems we dont get quality romance shows like Kimikiss as often as we use too.

im still reading Kimikiss various heroins.
Do watch it again. You'll catch on to more stuff too and be annoying by the sister and her friend more too (they annoyed me, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Yeah, kimikiss was so a gem. It has been a while since any anime has made me agonize for the next episode like kimikiss did.
I watched it straight through and couldn't move to the next episode fast enough. It has some really great jaw dropping moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Wouldn't mind rewatching it at some point in the near future, plus i need to start Various Heroines.
Start reading the manga! Each volume covers a different girl, its an ingenious, and the perfect, way of handling an eroge. The scanlations are steady and the first volume is already released in NA.

Quote:
Ignore the publicity and watch it. Its a must for romance fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That last part is really what gets me... none of the unchosen girls ever get to move on with life. Quite cruel and selfish actually.
That is what made this anime great!
Spoiler for Overall Plot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
IT was from the "CORE" fans that the series was hoping to ride to success that caused the series to do poorly on "DVD sales". The core fans were the people that played the game. the series succeeded in one aspect, it help increase the sales for the game when it was reissued a second time during the series broadcast.

Fans were opposed to what they did to some of the characters, they split the male character in two. They changed one of the heroines personalities a little and other small things. I believe kimikiss did well in the raitings, but people that watch TV in Japan rarely buy DVD. Kimikiss DVDs were selling bellow 2000 unit per volume and they were expecting at least 10000 units per volume.
I can understand how they could be angry but splitting the main character is what made the anime great. Its impossible to have one guy deal with significant romances with that many female characters in such a short series. Its a shame the DVDs didn't sell as good, but it still made the game more popular so it wasn't a complete loss.
Old 2009-08-25, 14:00   Link #4048
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Ignore the publicity and watch it. Its a must for romance fans.
I'm not really one, but I do like what this director does with romance so I guess I'll move it to the first priority queue.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 14:25   Link #4049
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Start reading the manga! Each volume covers a different girl, its an ingenious, and the perfect, way of handling an eroge. The scanlations are steady and the first volume is already released in NA.
Yeah i spotted the first volume in shops. Will order tomorrow.

Quote:
I'm not really one, but I do like what this director does with romance so I guess I'll move it to the first priority queue.
It's personally one of my favorite shows, and i'm sure i'm not the only one on this board who will say that. That alone should be the reason why you should watch it.

But yeah, Kasai does yet another outstanding job.
Old 2009-08-25, 14:38   Link #4050
Blaat

Kimikiss Pure Rouge is truly a gem, do check it out when you have the chance.

I must say though this thread brought an extra layer of enjoyment to the series, anyone remember Lego?
Old 2009-08-25, 14:39   Link #4051
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Oh, it's interesting to see Kimikiss thread active again. The game thread is more defitine about staying dead, that is.
So, speaking of the anime I can honestly say that it didn't click for me. I found a few interesting ideas and some references that I posted about here in this thread but when looking at it as a whole there's nothing I can do to start liking it. I watched all the episodes with the single idea which is 'there's something wrong with this anime'. I can't avoid game comparisons so I should say that it's really disappointing that now the general public sees Nana and Narumi as stupid girls when they've always been cute and funny. The fact that they threw away tons of jokes from the game doesn't earn the authors any points either. The jokes were partially replaced with new ones but not as good, to my regret.

You can guess that the game left a huge impact on me. Now that I look at it I can see that I've been playing it for long 3 years. Of course it doesn't mean I've been playing it every day. I put it aside for extended periods and then returned to it to play a little. It's only this year that I finally found time to finish all the scenarios. Lately I pushed a bit with my Japanese studies and that allowed me to read the script without loosing any words from it. Of course I still have to refer to the dictionary every now and then but the playthough went very smoothly. And I managed to discover quite interesting episodes that people normally miss because you need to go a special route for the event to start.

And of course I don't mind the manga. Though unfortunately I generally missed it, only read a few chapters of Futami story.

So, I'm posting a small part of my translation of game script from Asuka route for you to get an idea how it looks like.

Spoiler for Asuka's route:

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 14:40   Link #4052
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I must say though this thread brought an extra layer of enjoyment to the series, anyone remember Lego?
It should be impossible to forget some of Lego's posts from the past.
Old 2009-08-25, 14:59   Link #4053
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It should be impossible to forget some of Lego's posts from the past.
he became famous, the act of stop watching an anime and avoid forums because of angst about who the guy or girls is going to choose was called "pulling a lego"
Old 2009-08-25, 15:02   Link #4054
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The game isn't available outside of Japan, right?
Old 2009-08-25, 15:46   Link #4055
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The game isn't available outside of Japan, right?
Well, it depends on your location. In Moscow you can't find it in local shops but the postal service is ready to ship the box for you. And until lately you could find it in a couple of those nice import game shops in NYC, we discussed it in the game thread. And I hope you know Japanese to feel yourself at home here.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 20:25   Link #4056
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I ended up rooting for the 2nd guy and his relationship more than the 'main character'.
Old 2009-08-26, 03:29   Link #4057
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I ended up rooting for the 2nd guy and his relationship more than the 'main character'.
They were both main characters in my books.
Old 2009-09-02, 15:16   Link #4058
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
If we're at it I actually rooted for both "loser" girls when I watched the series. Well, I knew mostly they both going to lose from quite some time, but well I hoped for a "happier ending" for both. Luckily I've got it, though Asuka came out the worst from the 3 even if she suffered the least or so it seemed.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 17:05   Link #4059
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Spoiler for From other topic...:

Okay, we did not know which was the main girl when the first kiss was stolen. Plus the protagonist kissed the other girl too. It wasn't a traditional triangle, the protagonist had a girlfriend and the girl was sort of seeing another guy.
Old 2010-05-30, 17:20   Link #4060
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Frankly, if the studios just want to give the rigid eroge fans "what they want", they should just produce a group of mini-stories - each covering one path to the end. Maybe they get some perverse pleasure over having fans agonize over whether "their girl" will be chosen and having all the "loser girls" just drift in limbo pining for the guy. That last part is really what gets me... none of the unchosen girls ever get to move on with life. Quite cruel and selfish actually.
Interestingly, this is exactly what the manga adaptation is doing... one volume is the path to one girl. next volume retells the timeline to the next girl, and so on. It is cute... but I still think the anime adaptation is one of the best examples of interweaving I've seen (as an alternative to adaptations like Lamune (one path all the way) or Canvas 2 (triangle to the end).

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen