AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2010-08-03, 18:33   Link #21
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'm not going to worry too much about PA Works' ability to adapt Kishida Mel's character designs. They have proven to be adept at the "Type-Moon" style before. And they actually improved on Na-Ga's concept art for Angel Beats, for example Noda and Fujimaki look much, much better in the anime than in the concept art.

PA Works are excellent at animation and I have faith in them here. What I'm worried about is their pacing and storyboarding abilities, which haven't been very pretty in the past. (Canaan was too long while Angel Beats was very much too short.)
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-31, 15:32   Link #22
AnymX

New teaser

The characters designs looks great I wonder how it will look in animated form...
Old 2010-08-31, 16:11   Link #23
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I love Mel Kishida's art so much. The last pic in the PV is so adorable <3

Still waiting to see the anime's chara design. Please don't mess it up.
Old 2010-08-31, 16:20   Link #24
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Itou Kanae is the best when she's voicing a cheerful girl. It's Amu all over again.

Mel Kishida. <3
Old 2010-09-01, 03:14   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Itou Kanae is the best when she's voicing a cheerful girl. It's Amu all over again.
I agree. She's got such a delightful voice.
Old 2010-09-01, 09:01   Link #26
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Animations work is always about adapting.
Concept --> Actual works, that its. simple.
Its can be like realistic people if the concept's want the animator draw it like so. you want to say the animator can't draw similar object looks like certain people work ?
As someone who has worked on simple animation for a short while now (mostly in Macromedia Flash Player and Adobe Imageready) there's an understandable reason why concept art traditionally is not translated 100% into animation: the simple fact that it is animated.

Traditional 2D Cell animation in essence is a series of still shots that are superimposed on top of each other in rapid sequence to give the illusion of movement. There are two types of frames necessary to animate a scene: Key Frames, which are the main art stills for that scene, and the in-between transition Frames (aka "Tweens" ) which is the series of stills that portray the animation of the scene from one to state to another. In a 10 second animated sequence for example the keyframes would be say, a person standing, and then the person sitting. The tweens would then be the series of frames that show how the person transitions from standing to sitting position.

Now the important thing to remember is that even in a short animated sequence, you need a large number of frames to animate the scene smoothly and not appear choppy. You'll need at least 25 or so frames per second (minimum industry standard) to portray a scene with at least decent quality, and you'll need a much higher number of tweens if you want to make the animation as smooth as movie animation.

Even at 25 frames per second of animation, that means that for a single second of animation you'll need at least 25 individually drawn frames with small differences between them in order to animate the scene properly - frame 1 could be a hand, then frame two would be the hand moved a millimeter to the right, and frame three another millimeter, and so on... Unless you don't want your animation to look like a poorly made flash animation you'll need to draw each individual frame with the proper perspective, coloring, lighting and other variables that are affected by the slight movement of each frame.

Now imagine trying to draw Game-CG or still art quality drawings across 25 different frames. Considering that one game-CG drawing will set a person back about several hours of work just on the drawing and then coloring, imagine having to make 25 of them... and that's just from a single minute of animation.

Imagine having to maintain that quality over 25 minutes of animation. That's:

- 25 frames per second x 60 seconds in a minute = 1,500 frames per minute. With your average anime episode being 24 minutes long, that's 1,500 frames times 24 minutes.

Which adds up to 36,000 FRAMES!!!

36,000 frames if we're going 25 FPS - 36,000 frames of still images devoted solely to animating an entire episode. And making said 36,000 frames for animation isn't easy, let alone at the level of quality found in concept art or game-CG's.

Of course no TV anime ever reaches that number of frames in an episode, due to the prevalence of various animation shortcuts and optimization methods that exist to help reduce the number of frames - for example the famous "panning", where a still scene is simply moved from one end to the other, or only animating the lead elements while keeping the backgrounds intact which is a classic cost-cutting measure. Still, the immense amount of work that goes into an animation is staggering, and given the weekly or monthly deadlines for animation projects this means that you can't expect them to have decent quality animation without an equally decent number of paid staff and large finances.

You can either have an animation that's good quality but short and slow to produce, or a long animation released fast but with so-so quality. The only way you can get an animation that's fast, long, and with good quality animation is if you have a MASSIVE budget to actually pull it off - which few animation titles have managed to get, and is harder to get now with the world economy being what it is.

Hence there's a reason why the super-detailed concept art shown in the trailers will not be the exact art - because the difficulty of animating a sequence means they need to tone down on the art style to make it easier to animate, hence why the "animation art" shown for anime typically has lesser detail than concept or promotional art. And this doesn't take into account stuff like the fact that the character designer normally isn't responsible for animation and stuff, hence the characters in animation are typically drawn by another artist.

TL;DR - Yes, it's NOT THAT SIMPLE.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 09:27   Link #27
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Oh wow that PV is altho not much to really does indeed get me all giddy about this series.
The music is lovely, got a great feel to it.
The character designs are great here, which is a big indicator for me that this series will do right by me.
I've said else where before that when a series has me choosing or loving something that isn't usually my to preference, it is def doing something right.
That being I'm not usually a fan of the drill hair style but wow the lass that has it is but then that goes for all the characters here.

looking forward to this very much.
Old 2010-09-01, 09:50   Link #28
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

@Lowe
thx for the info
but hell... I'm never said a word about make animation works is simple matter.

More down to this line.

Quote:
And this doesn't take into account stuff like the fact that the character designer normally isn't responsible for animation and stuff, hence the characters in animation are typically drawn by another artist.
N don't raise the dead stuff =p
Old 2010-09-02, 02:14   Link #29
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

The story reminds me of Love Hina when a main character worked on hot springs hotels.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 11:07   Link #30
Eternal_Sin
Useless Human Being

P.A works = Must watch
Eternal_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-25, 03:54   Link #31
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Well Canaan and Angel beats have been mentioned but looking at Character design I'm expecting this to look a bit like True Tears
Old 2010-10-06, 03:08   Link #32
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Ugh. I hear this has the Canaan staff again. Masahiro Ando is directing, Mari Okada is writing, Kanami Sekiguchi is the animation character designer. What a waste of talent on moe garbage. Ando, direct another BONES show instead please?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 14:24   Link #33
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Ugh. I hear this has the Canaan staff again. Masahiro Ando is directing, Mari Okada is writing, Kanami Sekiguchi is the animation character designer. What a waste of talent on moe garbage. Ando, direct another BONES show instead please?
Aww, it sounds decent! Reminds me a bit of Aria~~ A soothing anime about a girl working at a hot spring meeting new things and people, who all are aspiring toward their own goals seems pretty relaxing to me; a bit like turning of age you know. Like many other mentioned, the art is pleasing for the eyes too~! I don't think moe is going to be the selling point (not saying moe won't attract a huge crowd of people, but at least I don't think that's what P.A. is going for).

Anyway, cast is here (only females characters at the moment >__<), last name first.

Hana-Saku Iroha
Original Work: P.A. WORKS
Director: Andou Masahiro
Character Draft: Kishida Mel
Character Design: Sekiguchi Kanami
Series Composition: Okada Mari
Animation Production: P.A. WORKS

Matsumae Ohana: Itou Kanae
Tsuruki Minko: Omigawa Chiaki
Oshimizui Nako: Toyosaki Aki
Wakura Yuina: Tomatsu Haruka
Wajima Tomoe: Noto Mamiko (not formally introduced in the PV)

This is totally an all star team for staff and VA. Hot spring ≠ auto fanservice imo. Totally reserving my judgment until I see it. This should have a lot of substance (/me has complete faith in P.A.). And since I totally adore the image song, I am going to link it here too >__<

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2010-10-06 at 16:27. Reason: Woops, worded something wrong~
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 14:59   Link #34
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to refer to this show as "moe garbage". Like stuopidget, I'm sensing some Aria vibes from this, and with the staff involved this could end up being very very good. Sure, the characters look insanely cute (at least when drawn by Kishida...) but that doesn't mean the show will revolve around moe. Of course, if you also regard Aria as moe garbage, that's another matter...

Aaahaaa~ that's no good, I'm getting my hopes up too much.
Old 2010-10-06, 18:21   Link #35
FireChick

I'm sure everyone knew that Itou Kanae was going to do the voice of the lead girl.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 18:43   Link #36
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Yay for Kanami Sekiguchi, at least that confirm the anime chara design not as bad as sora no oto.
Old 2010-10-06, 18:55   Link #37
FireChick

What? The animated character designs are shown? Where? I don't see them.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 23:11   Link #38
moshika

http://www.hanasakuiroha.jp/

new trailer
moshika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 23:24   Link #39
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

@Dat trailer...
Thanks god... There's still justice in this world.
Old 2010-10-07, 00:45   Link #40
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
@Dat trailer...
Thanks god... There's still justice in this world.
<3 your ... "enthusiasm" haha.

That is indeed a cute trailer with all the VAs speaking (hey there is Tomoe!). You can already tell which character will have which type of personality. I can already tell Nakochi will be one of my favorites no doubt =P.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life