AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-11-29, 22:18   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Light, High fantasy light novels

OK, I've read a number of fantasy light novels, and I was wondering if there were any recommendations for light and high fantasy type stuff? By light I mean both "Light Fantasy" meaning somewhat leaning toward the idealistic/hopeful side and "light reading". Basically a light novel version of stuff like Elemental Gelade, or old RPG-based anime like Star Ocean EX, or even Tower of Druaga.

Most of the fantasy LNs I read today are just a little far from this type of story. Some go for some gimmick, like making every last character an over-the-top pain (though I love those guys all the same). Some basically say "rather than make it LIKE an RPG, let's just make it LITERALLY an RPG" (though I love the two series that did this most thoroughly). Some try to stand out by going grimdark, either killing people off or making the hero collapse morally into the sort of guy that makes Sasuke look like Deku (only one I liked among this group had the guy go only a little bad for a little while, whereas some I know of have the hero literally become an inhuman monster). And then some make the hero OP (again, plenty I like here all the same). Almost all of them decide to go harem on us.

But what I haven't seen much of is just a plain, classical high, light fantasy. Something where the hero has his failings but he's still a good guy who works hard to gain sufficient power to do what needs to be done. Something where the initial situation looks moderately hopeful, or at least free of a sense of imminent death at every turn; where deaths that come only come after some time. Something where the nature of powers and skills are less mechanical. Maybe something where we have more than one guy in the central party and just one or two serious love interests.

The best I can think of off the top of my head is Scrapped Princess. As anyone who's read/watched this knows, it's not exactly high on the idealism scale, and technically it isn't really magic. But despite this is does a lot better at a classical high and light fantasy feel than a lot of the novels I've read. Even though it's a crapsack world where almost everyone wants the heroine's head, and their lives are always in danger along with their provisions, they remain happy and bright most of the time. Even though there are all kinds of reasons to despair, they do well and fight this off, determined to fight long enough to find answers to any questions they have and obtain some hope for the future. Plenty of people are exceptionally powerful, but not so much as to detract from the situation. The romance situation is fairly simple, with a couple of separate romances and no large groups going after a single protagonist. And there is little to no RPG craziness. I don't mind there being levels and skills and other such things, but a few series take it way too far, with menus and selectable moves and tech trees. Seriously, just give me a few people in a classic fantastic situation trying to succeed in some manner of quest, facing and dealing with as many highs as lows along their travels.

Manga are also acceptable, though I am mainly looking for some good LNs.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 22:34   Link #2
bakato

Faraway Paladin is your guy.
Old 2017-11-30, 07:17   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
But what I haven't seen much of is just a plain, classical high, light fantasy. Something where the hero has his failings but he's still a good guy who works hard to gain sufficient power to do what needs to be done. Something where the initial situation looks moderately hopeful, or at least free of a sense of imminent death at every turn; where deaths that come only come after some time. Something where the nature of powers and skills are less mechanical. Maybe something where we have more than one guy in the central party and just one or two serious love interests.
Dog Days is this through and through. Especially the happy fantasy situation and the hardworking good guy protagonist. Also the only one or two serious love interests situations. But I only watched the anime and don't know if there's a manga or LN as well.