AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-06-12, 08:23   Link #1
stpehen
kisses for all

"Another Monster" progress thread

This is just an announcement, for those of you who were interested, that I've finished the 15+ pages of the Introduction for Another Monster.

I would be appreciative of any criticism regarding the punctuation as I am used to translating scripts and not literature and thus am not completely sure of my writing, especially in regards to quotations and parentheses; Japanese standards differ somewhat.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 15:22   Link #2
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
All I can say is... Thank you very much, stephen-sama

Indeed, it's surprising some information contained in the introduction. Urasawa is truly a genious, and he never seize to amaze me.

Spoiler:

I can't wait for more... Thanks again, stephen-sama, and please keep up your wonderful job
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 18:18   Link #3
Ialdaboth

Yes, thank you very much, Stephen-sama.

The introduction is very interesting, and if the rest of the novel is like it, I feel that one will have to re-read the whole manga to see clearly how it fit in the story.

Btw who is Werner Weber ?
Is he a really an austrian journalist or a fictional character invented by Urasawa ?
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 18:38   Link #4
stpehen
kisses for all

The book is credited as being written by Werner Weber (an Austrian journalist who may or may not be a real person, but takes the role of narrator) and Naoki Urasawa, and translated from the German by Takashi Nagasaki (Urasawa's editor). Most likely, it was written by Urasawa and Nagasaki. It's done in a way that would fool more gullible readers into thinking that the events being discussed actually happened, but don't let yourself fall into that trap! It's not real :P

One thing to keep in mind: Aside from the very beginning, the Monster story takes place in the years 1995-1998.
Old 2004-06-12, 20:48   Link #5
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
The book is credited as being written by Werner Weber (an Austrian journalist who may or may not be a real person, but takes the role of narrator) and Naoki Urasawa, and translated from the German by Takashi Nagasaki (Urasawa's editor). Most likely, it was written by Urasawa and Nagasaki. It's done in a way that would fool more gullible readers into thinking that the events being discussed actually happened, but don't let yourself fall into that trap! It's not real :P

One thing to keep in mind: Aside from the very beginning, the Monster story takes place in the years 1995-1998.
Ah yes, how could I have missed that?

Spoiler:
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 02:07   Link #6
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
nice work thanx a lot

just one question i noticed in the 15th paragraph
Quote:
Originally Posted by another monster inrtoduction
[Picture] (German news article about St. Ursula murders)
A newspaper article summarizing the shocking events at St. Ursula Clinic. It made first page news not just in
Austria, but all over Germany as well.
i know it will be asking too much but if there are pistures wouldn't it be better if they were included?
Old 2004-06-13, 02:57   Link #7
stpehen
kisses for all

I'm the only person I know who owns the book (I've actually been sent copies twice by two different online acquaintances), and I'm not going to mess up the binding on my copy by cracking it to scan. Anyways, none of the pictures are necessary to understand the text and none of them contain extra information beyond what is included in my descriptions of them.
Old 2004-06-13, 03:06   Link #8
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I'm the only person I know who owns the book (I've actually been sent copies twice by two different online acquaintances), and I'm not going to mess up the binding on my copy by cracking it to scan. Anyways, none of the pictures are necessary to understand the text and none of them contain extra information beyond what is included in my descriptions of them.
if thats the case... oh well

thanx for translating it anyways, it looks very thrilling i hope you keep up the good work
Old 2004-06-19, 07:32   Link #9
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Wow... so its fiction, but they try to pass it on as real? Reminds me of the first Blair Witch Project.

Intro was pretty cool, really curious about what they have to say about the characters though, Tenma especially. We get to see him first hand as a nice guy in the anime, but this book is probably going to look at him at a neutral standpoint..
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 02:37   Link #10
Rhys
Interweb crawler

Thumbs up Omg.

Thank you thank you thank you so much Stephen, you're really a gift for Monster fans. The way you write is very enjoyable to read. I copied your translations, pasted them into a word document and made it look like a real book to give myself an illusion of reading the real thing. Dang, I hope my local publishers will some day release the real stuff here.

Urasawa really make things sound like it's a true story. How I love that man.

One question for Stephen:
Spoiler:
Rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 12:01   Link #11
stpehen
kisses for all

Aaargh, thank you for pointing that out. The katakana for his name look more like "Schubert" to me and it's been so long since he appeared in the story that I had completely forgotten. I'll correct that the next time I update.
Old 2004-07-10, 05:57   Link #12
stpehen
kisses for all

I've finished and uploaded Chapter 1. It's rather short and contains nothing but a quick rundown of the most basic events leading up to Tenma and Nina's disappearance. The next chapter, which is much longer, starts to go into more interesting subjects.
Old 2004-08-01, 01:17   Link #13
stpehen
kisses for all

Chapter 2 is now online.
Old 2004-08-01, 04:47   Link #14
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Hehehe Tenma the weenie.
He peed his pants too .
Old 2004-08-28, 02:54   Link #15
stpehen
kisses for all

Chapter 3 is up.
Old 2004-09-05, 21:24   Link #16
annaliebert

well, u've done a good job.
i've got this book (ANOTHER MONSTER)as well, but i dont know japanese, it's hard to read (what i can do is to see illustrations only)

i know there are several people translated yr article from English to Chinese ...
i'd like to ask that if i want to translate it (in order to build up the website of Monster), can i use yr articles in the website?

Thanks a lot!

(i m not in English, i m sorry about that if there is any mistake with my English)
annaliebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 23:30   Link #17
daedalus6

What is this another monster? Is it somekind of sequal to the manga? Will it be made manga sometime?

Can I read it before I have finished monster anime/manga or will it spoil me?
daedalus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 01:27   Link #18
stpehen
kisses for all

Another Monster is designed to be read by fans of Monster. At present, reading what I've translated will not totally spoil the story, but eventually, it will. You will probably enjoy it most after you have watched or read the entire Monster story.
Old 2004-10-03, 20:34   Link #19
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Haha wow, so many character's in Monster, almost forgot about Becker existing until I read that Eva chapter.
Old 2004-10-03, 23:20   Link #20
F Stop

Send a message via AIM to F Stop
I gotta say, this is really cool. I was reading this earlier today (prior to joining this forum), and at first I totally thought this was a true story.

I appreciate you telling people that it is indeed a work of fiction. Had you not, I'd have made an ass out of myself on some other forums talking about how this anime was based on a true story. Thanks for saving me that embarresment.
F Stop is offline   Reply With Quote