Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2014-02-17, 15:44   Link #11001
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I wonder if Obama took lessons from Dully.

- Tak
I always thought that Durandal = George W. Bush, especially with both of them sharing a "you're either with us or against us" mentality, as well as the Destiny Plan being similar to the Patriot Act (in terms of overall concept).
Old 2014-02-17, 16:57   Link #11002
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
the Destiny Plan being similar to the Patriot Act (in terms of overall concept).
No, just no.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 18:23   Link #11003
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
I don't think that Abyss HG picture is working, Obe.
Really ? Oh well, even without picture, I think my point is pretty clear. But if you still want to see it, you can click this link.
Old 2014-02-17, 18:32   Link #11004
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Really ? Oh well, even without picture, I think my point is pretty clear. But if you still want to see it, you can click this link.
The beam cannons almost look like they cross the other side's firing path. Do the wings (due to ignorance of the proper term) open any wider than shown in 2 of those pictures?
Old 2014-02-17, 18:35   Link #11005
Galaxian

The HG Destiny line seems to have really wide hips

My HG Destiny Gundam is like that too, but a bit less pronounced.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 18:40   Link #11006
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
The beam cannons almost look like they cross the other side's firing path. Do the wings (due to ignorance of the proper term) open any wider than shown in 2 of those pictures?
Although not a 100% full forward in direction, it's supposed to be able to go wider than the ones shown on that link.

Old 2014-02-17, 18:53   Link #11007
monster

Ah, yes, that looks better. Thanks for showing it. Although they may not be fully facing forward, at least it doesn't look like the beams will collide right in front of the Abyss.
Old 2014-02-17, 19:13   Link #11008
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
No, just no.
Besides "Brave New World", there's also Hobbes' "Leviathan".

What about the Bush comparison? He and Durandal shared the "with us or against us" mentality.
Old 2014-02-17, 20:14   Link #11009
monster

Quote:
Besides "Brave New World", there's also Hobbes' "Leviathan".
The main issue with the Patriot Act is about privacy vs. security, not a totalitarian control.

The overall concept of the Destiny Plan is that, since people are bad, the only way for peace is to directly control the people.

The overall concept of the Patriot Act is that, since bad people hide amongst good people, the only way to increase security is to lessen the limits of what the government can do in order to gain information about potential bad people.

They may both be bad, but these are two different concepts.
Quote:
What about the Bush comparison? He and Durandal shared the "with us or against us" mentality.
What about it? Many other people, especially those in power, can share that mentality.
Old 2014-02-17, 21:17   Link #11010
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
The main issue with the Patriot Act is about privacy vs. security, not a totalitarian control.

The overall concept of the Destiny Plan is that, since people are bad, the only way for peace is to directly control the people.
It's basically "Leviathan", which we can agree on.
Old 2014-02-17, 21:33   Link #11011
Aquaman OS

Quote:
I always thought that Durandal = George W. Bush, especially with both of them sharing a "you're either with us or against us" mentality, as well as the Destiny Plan being similar to the Patriot Act (in terms of overall concept).
Not quite. The Patriot act had nothing to do with it.

In fact I don't think it was even Durandal that was supposed to be George Bush but EA, who used the Junius Seven attack as an excuse to push for war against Zaft again, even thought they clearly knew it was an independent terrorist group used it as an excuse. Similar to how the US invaded Afganistan and Iraq due to 9/11 even though it was carried out by a splinter group, and used the momentum to oust Hussien and start going for oil.

Though you could also say Durandal had shades of Bush with how he used the excuse that he was going after bad people to push his hidden agenda, as he ousted Logos and EA while claiming the moral high ground because they were bad, similar to how America made up a half hearted WMD excuse to invade Iran and then basically wrote it off by saying Hussein was a monster anyway so it was fine to oust him, and used the info of how evil he was as a smokescreen for the fact that he was basically ousted under false pretenses.

And if you believe Durandal started the war by arranging for the Gundam theft and Junius Seven drop himself, then you could say it was also a reference to the 9/11 conspiricy rumors of how it was done by the US government itself as an excuse to fire up the war machine and start taking the middle east.

None of that has to do with the Patriot Act though. I dont' think the Patriot Act was even a thing yet when Destiny was made.

Either way though, apparantly every country but Orb was some fraction of post 9/11 Bush run America.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 21:38   Link #11012
monster

Quote:
It's basically "Leviathan", which we can agree on.
I'm not sure as I haven't read it, so I don't really know what you're comparing Leviathan to and what the basis of that comparison is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
I dont' think the Patriot Act was even a thing yet when Destiny was made.
The Patriot Act was passed in 2001.
Quote:
Either way though, apparantly every country but Orb was some fraction of post 9/11 Bush run America.
What do you mean? And why is Orb the exception?
Old 2014-02-17, 22:23   Link #11013
Washu-Chan