AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-02-17, 22:07   Link #1
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Music based computers?

Does anyone know any sites where i can look for a Audio/music based computers?

computers that a band would use to do music on etc. not games... just music stuff.
Old 2011-02-17, 23:20   Link #2
Random32
Also a Lolicon

What do you mean by music computer? What software do you need to run? I don't see any specific hardware required to run software, unless you want a computer to place on a 23inch rack along with audio equipment or something.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 03:15   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I remember this from my first internship.
They had a pc where you have a soundcard that was not inside the computer but out. It sounds silly but I remember we had a normal computer at the company with a massive tuner hooked up to it which was the soundcard, you could plug anything you need in it. (from mics to those gaint boards with those slidders buttons). A lot of devices however are external and of course what you plug in or build depends on what kind of music you want to make. My guess is guitars, drum, bass and vocals(?).
It might then be a good idea to just go to a music electronics shop in your area and get some info from people there, or on a more music making oriented website
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 05:22   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Any computer can do that; it's not resource-intensive.

Easiest would be to use a Mac, though--GarageBand is reasonably priced and easy to use, and Macs still commonly have FireWire ports (most pro audio interfaces are FireWire, not USB).

Music mastering and mixing is a totally software thing. Recording is hardware, but not how you're thinking. A pro audio recording interface and mics (with appropriate preamps) are all you need.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:09   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

just wanted to know if theres a company that focus's on computers with greaet audio/recording stuff instead of gaming.
Old 2011-02-18, 10:44   Link #6
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

What are you recording? You don't need any special computer, anything relatively recent will do the job you just need a few parts and software
You will need - if you're planning to record instruments, vocals and the like for demos
1. An Audio Interface and a DI Box (Direct Input). You can use a soundcard but it generally pretty poor in comparison. See M-Audio, TASCAM, ART, Radial can be less than 100 to thousands of dollars. Make sure you get one with phantom power. Behringer makes ok budget DI boxes, I still use my M-Audio Mobile-pre USB on occasion to get ideas recorded. (THis is the thing someone mentioned above as a soundcard outside the PC). For a Basic setup go with just an USB Audio Interface (unless you have firewire). You shouldn't need a DI box if you get an audio interface
2. Mic's. again depends on what you plan to record. 2 main types, condenser and cardioid. Condenser for vocals, acoustic guitars, woodwind and the like (rode NT200 is a common choice for vocalists). Cardioid for high volume/amplified instruments like drums, Electric guitars(Shure SM57 is industry standard). AKG, and NADY make some budget ones. (never used them though) Mics range from >100 to thousands
3. Headphones/Monitors. You want something with what is known as a flat eq resposnse. This helps mixing levels. eg bass may sound awesome on your bass heavy headphones but will distort and sound like crap on everything else. Tannoy <3, Yamaha, Sennheiser makes some great stuff, same with Grado. Anything from 100 to 10k+.
4. Software - depends what you like, I use Pro Tools but before that I used Ableton Live and Cubase. This is not cheap though. But there are some decent freeware stuff out there for basic recording, Kristal and Audacity are very good considering they are free. The hardware requirements for the software you choose determines what the specs of the pc you need are

That's pretty much a basic setup. For starting out I'd get an M-Audio Fastrack (as it usually comes with Ableton Live although this may have changed), A Shure SM57 as it it can do the job for vocals as well as instruments and the best headphones/monitors I could afford.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2011-02-18 at 11:16.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 20:24   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
M-Audio Q40 are great and cheap studio monitors. Only about $50, and they sound good.
Old 2011-02-20, 11:46   Link #8
Sides

Are you talking about a mixer with PC interface? Tascam and Roland definitely have a couple of them on the market. Not too sure about mackie, they used to have some with firewire, not sure if they have models with usb2.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote