AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-06, 00:48   Link #241
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
June 2008 Newtype Monthly Ranking - Female Anime Character - The best 10 in popularity (人気ベスト10):
No. 1 = C.C. (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2)
No. 2 = Karen Kouzuki "Kallen Stadtfeld" ( Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2)
No. 3 = Izumi Konata (Lucky Star)
No. 4 = Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
No. 5 = Nagisa Furukawa (Clannad)
No. 6 = Lacus Clyne (MS Gundam Seed)
No. 7 = Sumeragi Lee Noriega (Gundam 00)
No. 8 = Sheryl Nome (Macross Frontier)
No. 9 = Shana (Shakugan no Shana II)
No. 10 = Ranka Lee (Macross Fronter)
C.C and Kallen are hot but they seriously don't deserve first and second. Both characters aren't as developed as Sheryl or even Ranka. So far C.C's only been a pizza girl that does nothing but frowns and occasional smiles. Kallen is the biggest sex symbol in recent Anime history (along side Yoko).

Izumi Konata, I'm not a Lucky Star person, but she deserves her place.

Rei deserves her place. There's a reason why she popularized silent type female characters, because she does it the best.

I have an undying grudge against Clannad, so I'll just skip her.

Lacus Clyne seriously doesn't deserve to be here AT ALL, I don't even think I need to explain myself.

Sumeragi, she's cool but again she's not developed at all, she doesn't even have a lot of exposure in Gundam 00.

Sheryl Nome, CLEARLY deserves more than this. It's too bad Macross Frontier isn't getting enough exposure. If it does she would totally shoot herself to top 3.

The rest I don't care Sorry Ranka.
Old 2008-06-06, 00:57   Link #242
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Spoiler for code geass:

Never watched lucky star dunno why that girl is #3 but yea sheryl deserves #3 or #4 And theirs only 10 episodes out now but still a good audiance and Ranka.....I dont see much in her lol

I agress with you the Lacus Clyne thing I LOVE GUNDAM ALL OF THEM but her she just I dunno what people see in her she just is like there she dosnt really do stuff lol.

The Rei thing x.x i think that Asuka is hotter than her but thats because I like read heads alot xD
Old 2008-06-06, 01:01   Link #243
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Well if someone like Kallen and C.C can be first and second, then Nia and Yoko should be in this list too.

Klan Klan should be here too, she's a 2 in 1 merchandise. You buy her you get melons and lolis.
Old 2008-06-06, 01:06   Link #244
nines
I much prefer the 2d

im sorry this is completly off topic but what the hell does lolis mean x.x ive been seeing it throwin around in a bunch of situations and its confusin the hell out of me xD
Old 2008-06-06, 01:06   Link #245
Westlo
Lets be reality

You gotta realize that time this poll was done, I think this magazine came out like 3 weeks ago, you have to take into account a cut off date, and all these votes are sent in over the course of a few weeks. IIRC in the American version of Newtype it took until January for Gundam 00 to start dominated and replacing Code Geass in the top spots. Though I don't know if the American version was publishing the latest polls or were a month behind. So the next Newtype poll should reflect episodes 5-8 where Sheryl really starts to shine.

And yeah Geass, Eva and SEED are massively popular in Japan and those characters will more than likely stay in the polls for years to come.
Old 2008-06-06, 01:14   Link #246
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
im sorry this is completly off topic but what the hell does lolis mean x.x ive been seeing it throwin around in a bunch of situations and its confusin the hell out of me xD
Loli is a word derived from lolita (the way it comes is pretty complicated so I'm just going to tell you what it means instead of explaining why).

Basically it stands for girls who look like or act like little kids. Girls with flat-chests, girls with a small build, girls with big eyes. Girls like Klan's micro-form, and Ranka are typical loli designs. Lolicon (lolita complex), means you have a fetish for these kind of characters, hence you're a pedophile .

Lolis arent' really my cup of tea so Sherly ftw.
Old 2008-06-06, 01:16   Link #247
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Oh lol thank you for that now my mind isnt as dumb as it was before....but its still pretty dumb ^.^ like u said Sheryl ftw
Old 2008-06-06, 03:10   Link #248
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Going back to the topic.

I can hardly tell what Sheryl is thinking most of the time, can you? I've been trying to figure out what's going through her mind everytime she gives someone "that" look (especially when it concerns Ranka). It's obviously a look of contemplation but what kind? There's a wide range of things it could be but yeah...

All I know is that she's a lot more deeper than she lets on and perhaps thats what I love about her. When it comes to her work she's serious, motivated, and determined... maybe to the point where she's seen as rude. But under all that we see another side of her, a girl, playful and caring, even a little insecure at times.

She's a wonderful character full of depth and potential. Simply put, she rocks.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-06-06, 03:20   Link #249
Wesley84

^ I think she's empty headed, but is a natural at acting and putting on the appropiate airs for a given situation.
Old 2008-06-06, 03:38   Link #250
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
^ I think she's empty headed, but is a natural at acting and putting on the appropiate airs for a given situation.
lol, acting accordingly to a situation requires at least some forethought... so she can't be that empty headed as you imply.

Though, it sure seems that way at times huh? In the end it's odd how her actions just seem to drive everything to work out.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-06-06, 03:47   Link #251
herbert

Don't be surprised or offened by Gundam and Code Geass characters' performance. Remember this is a New Type poll, of course most voters are diehard SUNRISE fans, who would be most likely vote SUNRISE characters over other companies' characters. Be happy Sheryl is already there.
Old 2008-06-06, 03:50   Link #252
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ She should rank up a lot in the next issue which goes on sale in 4 days time. She gained a lot of fans everywhere with episodes 5-8... expect that to be shown in this upcoming poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
lol, acting accordingly to a situation requires at least some forethought... so she can't be that empty headed as you imply.
Yeah I lol'd too.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:00   Link #253
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Give us a break, sir. We know you don't understand Sheryl and you never try to understand her. You don't need to remind us over and over again.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:03   Link #254
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Is there a translated version of the Sheryl blog ?

Or did we learn anything about her in those blogs? Like her sexual preference or favourite food or w/e

Quote:
I can hardly tell what Sheryl is thinking most of the time, can you? I've been trying to figure out what's going through her mind everytime she gives someone "that" look (especially when it concerns Ranka). It's obviously a look of contemplation but what kind? There's a wide range of things it could be but yeah...
Remember that episode when Ranka started to sing in the Zentradi mall? At first I thought Sheryl gave her a look with a slight flavour of hostility, as if she knows Ranka will be in her career's way in the near future. But she seems like she's always helping Ranka out, so I guess she's kind of breeding herself a rival to motivate herself even further? Or maybe she knows Ranka will be a threat, but she's absorbed in Ranka's passion, and can't let it go to waste?
I just hope she won't degenerate into a jealous-type character in the future (I can sort of see Ranka going that way too, one of them is going to bite this bullet).

Quote:
Don't be surprised or offened by Gundam and Code Geass characters' performance. Remember this is a New Type poll, of course most voters are diehard SUNRISE fans, who would be most likely vote SUNRISE characters over other companies' characters. Be happy Sheryl is already there.
That's one of the main reasons why I stopped reading New Type, they piss me off sometimes. Like Kira doing better than Char and Amuro in popularity polls.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:14   Link #255
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Remember that episode when Ranka started to sing in the Zentradi mall? At first I thought Sheryl gave her a look with a slight flavour of hostility, as if she knows Ranka will be in her career's way in the near future. But she seems like she's always helping Ranka out, so I guess she's kind of breeding herself a rival to motivate herself even further? Or maybe she knows Ranka will be a threat, but she's absorbed in Ranka's passion, and can't let it go to waste?
I just hope she won't degenerate into a jealous-type character in the future (I can sort of see Ranka going that way too, one of them is going to bite this bullet).
I thought she was jealous when I watched the raw (I asked asap in the ep 5 thread what did she say!?) but after seeing the subs it felt more like she was thinking back on how she become a star. She's been very helpful to Ranka since than so I think I'm right on that, guess we'll find out for sure if they ever give us the background on how Sheryl became a star.

And if one becomes more jealous... probably Ranka, look how quick she was to accept the Mao Nome role after seeing Sheryl and Alto kiss. Though the chances of both being jealous at times over the course of the series is pretty high.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:20   Link #256
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Westlo are you from Asia (Japan/Hong Kong/Korea)? Since it's pretty late, and you're still active so I'm just wondering.

Quote:
And if one becomes more jealous... probably Ranka, look how quick she was to accept the Mao Nome role after seeing Sheryl and Alto kiss. Though the chances of both being jealous at times over the course of the series is pretty high.
I thought she accepted the Mao role because she finally understands how Mao actually feels (and it relates to her). Not because she wants a kiss with Alto too.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:21   Link #257
herbert

Quote:
Or did we learn anything about her in those blogs? Like her sexual preference or favourite food or w/e
I bet her favourite food is strawberry pie since it's her first line in the show...

Quote:
That's one of the main reasons why I stopped reading New Type, they piss me off sometimes. Like Kira doing better than Char and Amuro in popularity polls.
I guess it's because Char and Amuro are from old shows. Most younger fans never watch them.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:22   Link #258
Westlo
Lets be reality

Australia, 7:21 pm my time right now. and probably a bit of both for your second sentence.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:26   Link #259
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
I bet her favourite food is strawberry pie since it's her first line in the show...
@_@ what show? Btw, how do you do those Originally posted by XXX things in quotes?

Quote:
I guess it's because Char and Amuro are from old shows. Most younger fans never watch them.
Yea I guess that's a factor, but it still burns a passion of hatred in my heart. I mean if a Seed character is going to be first, make it Athrun or someone who's actually developed in a reasonable way.
Old 2008-06-06, 04:33   Link #260
Westlo
Lets be reality

This show, it's the first thing she says when she gets woken up after her shuttle comes out of the fold. The Deculture version of episode 1 though and what will be the real episode 1 (32 minutes) that will be on the dvd/blueray. The tv broadcast episode will not be on the first volume.

Sheryl had me at strawberry pie!
Closed Thread

Tags
characters