Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 03:14   Link #161
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
...just watch episode 4. Answer: yes.

They can only attack each other outside of town though, so it's not like everyone's in constant danger. And if you want to have a non-lethal fight you can challenge someone to a duel which under game mechanics lets you win without killing. This is what happened in episode 3, although they didn't show that for some reason.
The most common type of duel is called
Spoiler for duel spoilers from Vol 1/ME1:
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:35   Link #162
FateAnomaly

What if it is a 1HKO?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 03:56   Link #163
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
What if it is a 1HKO?
Damage is not reduced in 'chunks' but instead reduces at a quick pace upon taking damage, so a 1HKO would simply give you the win after the victory condition is met, which I posted in my spoiler. This is hard to describe but I can give you an example that occurs in the SAO anime. Every episode so far has shown this occur although episode 1 has the fewest examples.

For instance, in episode 4, if you go to 2:38 and watch you will see Silica's HP quickly reduce from slightly more than 50% to under 20% after being hit.
Old 2012-07-31, 21:19   Link #164
shinobu-chan
Heart-under-Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
SOA don't have classes. Your chosen skills determine your combat ability

Naming Skills from the top of my head:

1 Handed Straight Sword
Curved Sword
Maces
Lances
Dagger
Bow
Shield
Polearms
Axes
Throwing Weapon
Katana
Rapier
2 Hander Blade
Unarmed Fighting
Battle Continuation (Basically a hp regen. it's slow, but better than nothing. Super high lvl skill. Acquire by taking a LOT of damage throughout your gameplay)
Hiding
Detection
Trap Removal
Blacksmithing
Sewing
Fishing
Cooking
Appraisal

and that's the one I can remember without thinking too hard.

You level up these skill by doing them. Using a sword skill or generally attacking an enemy with a weapon will lvl up that weapon skill level.

Some of the skills have hidden parameters to be unlocked. For example, Katana is an offset from curved sword. But the thing is, it's a bit random(?) as not everyone who leveled their Curved Sword will unlock Katana. That is called an extra skill.
Kirito mentioned only about 10 people unlocked Katana for their skill set.

There's also something called an unique skill... but that's a bit too early to discuss atm.

So by levelling these skills, and putting stats points in the right status, you build your own character. Either as Dps or Tank or in between. Kirito is a full blown DPS by the way. I think his build is mostly str and a generous dex also and enough in const.
But isn't the game a bit unbalanced in that way..? Only a few players can unlock a certain skill putting a lot of other players at a disadvantage.

Also how are you supposed to catch up when the whole floor is cleared, and the monsters are completely wiped up? I'm pretty sure you'll get your butt handed to you at the next few floors since AFAIK the monsters get stronger each floor. Isn't the game a bit snowbally that way?
shinobu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 21:24   Link #165
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobu-chan View Post
But isn't the game a bit unbalanced in that way..? Only a few players can unlock a certain skill putting a lot of other players at a disadvantage.
that is how Kayaba wanted it.

Quote:
Also how are you supposed to catch up when the whole floor is cleared, and the monsters are completely wiped up? I'm pretty sure you'll get your butt handed to you at the next few floors since AFAIK the monsters get stronger each floor. Isn't the game a bit snowbally that way?
the boss does not regen but the regular monster do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
skill list
1. lance and polearm are the same
2. you are missing -
tracking
light metal armor
heavy metal armor
And Shield is divided into Large and Small Shields.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:02   Link #166
styr

Dagger is not a skill at all but is simply filed under 1 handed short sword skills. Strange, but that's how it is. For proof you can look at ME2 and under Silica's equipped skills she has "1h short sword" skill.

Although I'm not sure about polearms, lances/spears are divided into 1h and 2h types called "assault spears." Most weapons are also divided into 1h/2h as well, like axes, hammers, straight swords, curved swords and assault spears.

As for shield skills, it is hard to even get a straight answer from looking at ME2 info that the author provided. Klein has "light shield" skill, but Heathcliff doesn't have any shield skills yet still uses huge shields. Unless Holy Sword automatically grants the user all shield skills? Idk. There's also "hate" skills that draw aggro in battle (I believe) like Klein's Fighting Spirit or Heathcliff's Spiritual Light.

I'm not even going to mention the various blacksmithing skills that Lizbeth has or all the merchant stuff Agil has.

The entire skill system of SAO... it's a mess. Plain and simple.
Old 2012-08-01, 01:51   Link #167
Clarste
Human

Well, didn't they say in the first episode that there were tons of skills? There are tons of skills. One for each weapon type, one for each armor type, one for crafting each weapon and armor type ("craft 1H sword" is different from "craft 2H sword", for example), and some miscellaneous stuff like tracking and hiding and haggling.

Each skill has a level from 1 to 1000, and I believe you can only have so many skills at once, up to 10 or something like that. Once you have 10, you can only learn more by deleting them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 02:21   Link #168
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
As for shield skills, it is hard to even get a straight answer from looking at ME2 info that the author provided. Klein has "light shield" skill, but Heathcliff doesn't have any shield skills yet still uses huge shields. Unless Holy Sword automatically grants the user all shield skills? Idk.
<Holy Sword> IS the shield. It's the sheath for the sword after all.

It is pretty logical to think that he should have a high level shield skill, considering how he wields <Holy Sword>. As for an explanation...

He IS Heathcliff after all.

Quote:
Each skill has a level from 1 to 1000, and I believe you can only have so many skills at once, up to 10 or something like that. Once you have 10, you can only learn more by deleting them.
12 skills at once actually. (Unless "Unique skills" doesn't count, Asuna and Klein has 11 but I don't remember them saying they were at the skill limit)
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 04:05   Link #169
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
<Holy Sword> IS the shield. It's the sheath for the sword after all.

It is pretty logical to think that he should have a high level shield skill, considering how he wields <Holy Sword>. As for an explanation...
Ya, that's what I figured. But it is still confusing to name a shield skill with 'sword' in it's name. "Holy Shield" would have made a lot more sense, but oh well.

@Clarste - according to Lizbeth's forging skills, weapon crafting is classified based on damage type not weapon type. The only weapon forging skills she had were 'Slash Weapon Forging', 'Thrust Weapon Forging' and 'Blunt Weapon Forging' along with Light/Heavy Armor forging, Metal Repairing and Metal Refining.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:29   Link #170
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:

Normally speaking, you can't be killed in town at all so you might think sleeping in the street is safe, but apparently they can drag you outside of town and stuff (there's an anti-harassment feature where you can prevent people from touching you, but you have to turn it on yourself, so it's useless while you're asleep).
you serious? this is so funny.

Can they steal from you? or strip you from your armor?
Old 2012-08-01, 12:32   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They can use your hand to operate your menu, so yes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 01:56   Link #172
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Can players conceive a child? :O or XXX
Old 2012-08-02, 02:32   Link #173
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Can players conceive a child? :O or XXX
Nope. They can have sexual intercourse, however.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 03:54   Link #174
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Nope. They can have sexual intercourse, however.
What volume, was this confirm in?

Can anyone spoil me, when the protagonist finally ends the game at what age and did he get to reunite with his sister?
Old 2012-08-02, 04:05   Link #175
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Can anyone spoil me, when the protagonist finally ends the game at what age and did he get to reunite with his sister?
Spoiler for ending:

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-08-02 at 04:37.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 04:36   Link #176
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
What volume, was this confirm in?
Spoiler for Source:

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 08:24   Link #177
Vocah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Spoiler for Source:
Spoiler for chapter 16.5? why?:

Last edited by Vocah; 2012-08-02 at 22:12. Reason: added spoiler title
Vocah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 17:17   Link #178
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocah View Post
Spoiler:
You'd be surprised at how dense people could be.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 18:16   Link #179
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
You'd be surprised at how dense people could be.
Spoiler for Vol 1 Ch 16:

I agree with Vocah that Ch 16 was very obvious about what went down.
Old 2012-08-02, 22:25   Link #180
shinobu-chan
Heart-under-Blade

Can anyone elaborate living areas [towns] to me? Is there one in each of the floating castle's floor or are there just specific floors with towns on it. I recall them using a teleport stone calling out an area name so I was just wondering..
shinobu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a