AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 41 38.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 22.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-08, 14:58   Link #121
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
^She still knows, the idea did not cross anyones else mind. And she actually was very confident about this so she must have known about lot of weird things about him.
She knew he was buying lots of female stuff. I don't think she got the idea of him crossdressing until after there was a "Menma" to explain away.

Quote:
She knows him so well to the point of knowing that when he was shouting at Jinta for being pathetic, that he actuallly was mad at himself.
She knows Yukiatsu's been unable to forget Menma and move on. She established that early. From there, it's not hard to interpret his rant at Jinta as a pot calling the kettle black.
Old 2011-05-08, 16:29   Link #122
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Mario and Luigi Menma. LOL
Old 2011-05-08, 17:04   Link #123
Cream

Lets start out by saying Yukiatsu is pathetic .
I'm sure everyone agrees about that , i dont like his character. Of course , i knew he'd be the main source of drama . But hes a good add-on to the series.

I'm relatively sure that Menma's wish is for them to be happy even without her , that the erm... super peace busters(? , might have that wrong) will once protect peace (and what-not). But the way Yukiatsu is acting , thats kinda out of the question. It'd be hard to forgive that type of scene/act that he put on . Hes an outright(word?) douche bag.

I feel pretty close to the characters(mainly Jintan) already , which is extremely surprising to me.
I have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a good series , especially if they have me this interested in it lol.

I do believe that at some point others will actually see Menma as Jintan does.
I do see Yukiatsu being forgiven because Menma wants Jintan to forgive him.
I do see Yukiatsu still being portrayed as super-pathetic.
I don't see Jintan loving/liking Menma the current state she is in.

But, i do hope he can move on from such a tragic event and proceed to have some romantic connection with Anjou :/
Shes a fantastic character. Her actions and involvement in the series is definitely the boost of 'slice of life' that is needed in most anime .

(Just noticed this is sort of an overview of the 1-4 episodes , sorry.)
10/10 for Episode 4 .
Old 2011-05-08, 17:22   Link #124
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Ano Hi Mita Yukiatsu no Himitsu wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shinjirarenai!!

[/episode]

I'm still in awe of how good this series is.
Old 2011-05-08, 17:41   Link #125
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Lets start out by saying Yukiatsu is pathetic .
I'm sure everyone agrees about that , i dont like his character. Of course , i knew he'd be the main source of drama . But hes a good add-on to the series.

I'm relatively sure that Menma's wish is for them to be happy even without her , that the erm... super peace busters(? , might have that wrong) will once protect peace (and what-not). But the way Yukiatsu is acting , thats kinda out of the question. It'd be hard to forgive that type of scene/act that he put on . Hes an outright(word?) douche bag.
Nothing a punch in the face can't solve.

More seriously, Jinta of all people knows what it's like to be acting douchey because you're hurting. And all the others are pretty forgiving to start with. (Except maybe Poppo. He's rather easy-going, but we've never seen him angry to start with, so we can't say for sure if he's forgiving. Maybe it won't matter because he still won't be angry.)

So, no, forgiveness won't be much of an issue. But before that, getting Yukiatsu to stop acting like an ass, though? That might take some doing.
Old 2011-05-08, 18:12   Link #126
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Damn, so it was Yukiatsu. I didn't expect that be revealed so quickly. As much of an ass as he has been so far, I really want to see what is done with his character. Definitely running neck and neck with Jinta for most damaged by Menma's death.
Old 2011-05-08, 22:01   Link #127
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
LOL OWNED. Yea, I didn't think a grown man could pass for a loli very well either.

Tsurikko got some brownie points this episode for going several consecutive minutes without insulting people, and I have to find her deadpan tone "Your fly is open" to be hillarious. She also delivered some hillarious ownage when she outed the whole thing.

So the guy that ends up talking the most trash is the one that broke down the fastest. Well, everyone is insecure in their own ways, and frequently lies to themselves or others. But Yukkiatsu is the one running the biggest lie. But hey, if the myth of Menma can bring everyone back together is it really so bad?

Now, I really can't tell who's crazy anymore.

And Jintan, if you're not going back to school, you could at least get a haircut. Or do something else. But it's ok, maybe they all can push him out into the open once... slowly.

Rating: -0.5 points for showing Atsumu in all his glory, no matter how much he shaves. 9/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-05-08 at 22:12.
Old 2011-05-08, 22:05   Link #128
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Do you think it'd have been a kindness to let him continue his deception?

Now, she could have tried to confront him discreetly. But I don't think he'd have been very receptive. It'd just have driven him crazier. And now, if Yukiatsu turns violent, it'll be four against one. Including the much bigger Poppo.

And, though I don't think it entered her reasoning, Yukiatsu can't claim the moral high ground, there. He's been an ass to everyone on several levels.
That basically, but I agree that Yukiatsu wouldn't have cared, and probably this was the only course left, assuming that intervening in ones life so blatantly is acceptible... then again Yukiatsu was just asking for it... at least save your legs
Old 2011-05-08, 22:30   Link #129
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

not a bad episode, and double bonus for exposing Yukiatsu's a*#$%@* trick.
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-05-09, 07:52   Link #130
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I wonder how they can actually get Yukiatsu to stop being an ass and still be good friends. I mean even if he does start hanging out with them that is really just gonna haunt him forever. It's going to constantly weigh at the back of his mind so long as he's with them. Who could seriously deal with that on a daily basis? Really I think revealing Yukiatsu's douchebaggery like this has only created a bigger barrier for true friendship. Hopefully sometime in the future he could look back and laugh at the whole thing.
Old 2011-05-09, 12:35   Link #131
ipodi

Getting the whole group to unmask Yukiatsu's obsession is one hell of an intervention. Good job.
Old 2011-05-09, 18:27   Link #132
achirist

I think Yukiatsu is really interesting, and I rather admire his ingenuity in creating his own 'ghost of Menma' to strike out at Jintan for his past resentments. He earns extra points for having no problem dressing up as a girl to carry out his plot--too bad it didn't go further. Clearly Yukiatsu liked Menma and she meant a lot more to him in the past, so it greatly annoyed him that Jintan, the person who he perhaps blames for her death was claiming that Menma came to him. She should have come to Yukiatsu instead.
Old 2011-05-09, 20:11   Link #133
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Getting the whole group to unmask Yukiatsu's obsession is one hell of an intervention. Good job.
Intervention! That's exactly what he needs. Oh man, great word choice.
Old 2011-05-10, 01:44   Link #134
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Time for some mass hyspeculah. Today - why I believe the "fake" Menma is Yukiatsu in disguise.

I am immediately suspicious of Yukiatsu, seemingly the most down-to-earth one of the group, to so readily and calmly claim he too has seen Menma's ghost. When Yukiatsu received a text from Poppo - the one who initally claims to have seen Menma's ghost - he didn't seem surprised at all. Instead, Yukiatsu smiles. We know Yukiatsu had a crush on Menma and hasn't quite gotten over her death. Yukiatsu has Menma's sundress in his closet - while not the right size, it leaves open the possibility of Yukiatsu crossdressing.
Still, the problem I noted in my original crack speculation post outlining why Yukiatsu is Menma still holds... wouldn't Menma's old sundress be too small for Yukiatsu to wear? Seeing as he has a perfect wig of Menma's hair, I guess it wouldn't be going too far to assume he's also tailored the sundress to fit his size. Still very, very creepy to think about Yukiatsu; Freud would have a field day with him. Crafty Tsuruko knew Yukiatsu was Menma all along. I wonder if her feelings for Yukiatsu still remain as well, or if she's gotten over him... probably better for her not to be interested in a cross-dressing clown. Expand Jinta's harem further!

Meh. I'm not sure what to say about episode 4. Overall, I think it's better than the first half of episode 1, but lacks the emotional impact I was hoping for. The story compensates for this by re-developing the bonds between Tsuruko, Jinta, and Anaru. I certainly didn't expect Tsuruko to visit Jinta, but I'm enjoying how each of the Super Peace Busters (ignoring Poppo) has a unique relationship with one another.

Episode 4 Rating: 8.5/10
Old 2011-05-10, 05:25   Link #135
cyth
Banned

Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to be the first not to give Yukiatsu a hard time for his thing. Why exactly is he pathetic and Jinta isn't? Or Anaru, or Tsuruko, or Poppo for that matter?

Yukiatsu can't let go of Menma, so he develops crossdressing tendencies to affirm his self-image of being a pathetic loser. Jintan shuts himself in, becomes this chuunibyou character who thinks his school and society at large are no better than the zoo. Anaru distances herself from the life she had by drowning herself in mindless subculture, Tsuruko constantly embarrasses Yukiatsu for having feelings for Menma before her, so she's forced to hate her, thus can't forget her either. And Poppo... Poppo has been running away all this time, to different countries, for fuck's sake.

If Yukiatsu is such a pathetic guy, then I say the whole lot of them are the same. This show is about moving on, so I believe all of them will phase out of their pathetic states eventually. I'm pretty sure Yukiatsu's condition isn't so serious to call it a mental condition, and I see this revelation as an opportunity for reconciliation.
Old 2011-05-10, 06:23   Link #136
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Fuck it, you know what? I'm going to be the first not to give Yukiatsu a hard time for his thing. Why exactly is he pathetic and Jinta isn't? Or Anaru, or Tsuruko, or Poppo for that matter?

Yukiatsu can't let go of Menma, so he develops crossdressing tendencies to affirm his self-image of being a pathetic loser. Jintan shuts himself in, becomes this chuunibyou character who thinks his school and society at large are no better than the zoo. Anaru distances herself from the life she had by drowning herself in mindless subculture, Tsuruko constantly embarrasses Yukiatsu for having feelings for Menma before her, so she's forced to hate her, thus can't forget her either. And Poppo... Poppo has been running away all this time, to different countries, for fuck's sake.

If Yukiatsu is such a pathetic guy, then I say the whole lot of them are the same. This show is about moving on, so I believe all of them will phase out of their pathetic states eventually. I'm pretty sure Yukiatsu's condition isn't so serious to call it a mental condition, and I see this revelation as an opportunity for reconciliation.
The thing is, while a lot of the others are only steps away at reaching the same point in their own psychological collapse, Yukiatsu is being a self righteous hypocrite, which suggests he is fully aware of what he is doing and not necessarily having an unconscious fallback to his problems. It would be a different thing if he wasn't so self-assured on his high horse towards Jinta in particular, but it's hard not to be pissed off at a character who claims to be a different creature than the rest when he himself seems to be the one who has fallen the lowest and damn near proud of it.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:11   Link #137
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's not just the hypocrisy, it's the fact that he's clearly messing with the others aswell. If your friend died and you were still upset about it you'd be pissed too if your so-called friend decided to dress up like her and make you think there's a ghost of her.
Old 2011-05-10, 07:27   Link #138
cyth
Banned

I agree from that point of view, but the perversion itself shouldn't be frowned upon considering.
Old 2011-05-10, 08:56   Link #139
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I agree from that point of view, but the perversion itself shouldn't be frowned upon considering.
I can't speak for everybody of course, it seems to me most of us find him pathetic because of his douchey attitude, not his cross-dressing tendencies. The reason I found the final scene so hilarious was due to the "just as planned" face he displayed right before being discovered.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure whether to think of him as being pahtetic or pitiful just yet. That will largely depend on his initial reason for crossdressing. Although I don't think that's the case, one could think he only started crossdressing recently to screw with Jinta, in which case that just makes him a pathetic asshole.
Old 2011-05-10, 09:24   Link #140
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I can't speak for everybody of course, it seems to me most of us find him pathetic because of his douchey attitude, not his cross-dressing tendencies. The reason I found the final scene so hilarious was due to the "just as planned" face he displayed right before being discovered.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure whether to think of him as being pahtetic or pitiful just yet. That will largely depend on his initial reason for crossdressing. Although I don't think that's the case, one could think he only started crossdressing recently to screw with Jinta, in which case that just makes him a pathetic asshole.
Well, he was buying the blue ribbon before he even knew Jinta was seeing Menma, so it may well be something else.
Closed Thread