AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-12, 13:32   Link #101
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

all harem and romance manga's authors should watch dragon ball and learn how to actually make good tsundere character like vegeta
Old 2015-07-12, 14:04   Link #102
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
I really liked Vegeta's promise in DBZ was connected to events in Super.

Could you elaborate? Looking back on the major villains Freiza, Cell, and Buu I can't remember a single time they blocked attacks with fingers.
That's just one example. In the case of Frieza it was not showing his true form and constantly reiterating it.
Old 2015-07-12, 14:16   Link #103
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey Pyro View Post
So people don't get confused:
Spoiler for BOG Spoiler?:
Damn it, if that's the case that means the pacing is going to be SLOOOW. Probably will be stuck with the BoG events for the entire first cour.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 17:24   Link #104
bigdeath

You know what this means, there will eventually be a Dragon Ball Super Kai.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-12, 17:41   Link #105
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

dragon ball kai purpose is to lure in new young viewers so they can get familiar with dragon ball and can follow SUPER without problem

and for a 100 episodes anime, SUPER animation is so damn good
Old 2015-07-12, 19:54   Link #106
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
and for a 100 episodes anime, SUPER animation is so damn good
Sadly, compared to Toei's other long-running series like Pretty Cure & the recent Yu-Gi-Oh!-sequels, Super's quality is 'average' to 'barely-good' at best. But thank god it's not as bad as the most recent Digimon TV-series.
Old 2015-07-12, 21:39   Link #107
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm still holding out hope that Gohan will at least not suck too much when Beerus makes his move. The odds aren't great, but I can pray for any little moment of glory .

Hilarious ep with Vegeta. Was nice that he actually kept his promise from DBZ and was willing to endure this family outing. Certainly not anywhere near friendly, but at least he didn't kill anyone. If Vegeta wants to keep his #2 status he'll really need to keep up the training. Luckily his only real competition for that spot is Gohan and he almost always gives up that position due to slacking off the physical training.
Old 2015-07-12, 23:45   Link #108
HandofFate

very touching how much vegeta actually cares for his family.

while goku just leaves once again
Old 2015-07-13, 01:42   Link #109
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

After hearing how badly japanese King Kai sounds, I'll smack the next person who says Subs are Better than Dubs for DBZ.
Old 2015-07-13, 01:59   Link #110
Wandering Soul

Well it was a nice episode that showed that Vegeta really does care for his family. It is impressive he held out as long as he did.
Old 2015-07-13, 02:03   Link #111
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Haha yea, I wonder if he will do the dance when Beerus comes down.
Old 2015-07-13, 02:52   Link #112
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
After hearing how badly japanese King Kai sounds, I'll smack the next person who says Subs are Better than Dubs for DBZ.
Funny, considering how I'd say dub Kaio is one of the worst things about the dub, and it's one of the few things about it that hasn't even slightly improved over time. (Super Hero Goku? All but gone now. Freeza? Was recast and is far better for it. The grossly inaccurate script in general? No longer an issue with Kai and the new movies. The replacement music? No longer an issue.)
...But yeah, he sounds really bad here. Not sure if Yanami was sick or if it's just age (the man's 83, for goodness' sake!) but his performance has been REALLY weak in this show so far. It's honestly to the point where I wonder if it would have been better if they just recast him.
Old 2015-07-13, 03:26   Link #113
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
It's honestly to the point where I wonder if it would have been better if they just recast him.
This might sound blasphemous, but the same thing should be done to Nozawa too. I love her to bits as child-Goku/Gohan/Goten, but hate her with a passion for adult-Goku/Gohan/Goten even back in the 90s.

I'm curious, what do today's Japanese kids and teenagers say about adult-Goku's voice? Do they genuinely like it or they don't really care because that's how adult-Goku always sounds?
Old 2015-07-13, 04:08   Link #114
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
This might sound blasphemous, but the same thing should be done to Nozawa too. I love her to bits as child-Goku/Gohan/Goten, but hate her with a passion for adult-Goku/Gohan/Goten even back in the 90s.
It sounds blasphemous. Really, this is just the product of the expectation that Goku should sound all manly and shit, but once you're used to it, Nozawa IS Goku. And in a sense it fits much better his childish nature. With Kaio, however, it was actually a pretty bad voice work. It wasn't a matter of the voice not fitting, just that it lacked energy and interpretative quality.

Old 2015-07-13, 06:36   Link #115
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
It sounds blasphemous.
Well, a man has his own opinion after all .

Quote:
Really, this is just the product of the expectation that Goku should sound all manly and shit, but once you're used to it, Nozawa IS Goku.
Getting used to something doesn’t mean that something is good. There are people in India who get used to being bitten by Cobras and injected their venom, doesn’t mean being bitten and poisoned by Cobras is a good thing.

Quote:
And in a sense it fits much better his childish nature.
I often see this used as a defense of those who like Nozawa for adult-Goku. But the thing is, adult-Goku doesn’t even sound like a man at all (let alone manly-man, as far as my experience goes). He sounds like my Grandma (which what Nozawa is at this point in her life. A granny). Watching DBZ/GT/Super feels like I’m watching my Nana voicing adult-Goku, which is amusing in itself, but that’s not the kind of entertainment I seek from DB . Heck, even Kenshin’s effeminate voice in Samurai X still sounds more like a man than adult-Goku’s.

Seriously, hearing adult Goku’s voice makes me appreciate the local Indonesian-dub even more. The Indonesion VA at least able to bring the inner child in Goku but can still sound like a man, not a granny. I can’t wait for the Indonesian or English-dub of Super. I bet I’ll enjoy it better. Right now, I'm following Jap-dub of Super just to follow the story.
Old 2015-07-13, 08:54   Link #116
Ryuga

I prefer Schemmel to Nozawa, but I've gotten used to her voice and can't see anyone else voicing Goku in Japanese. Her kid voices are great stuff though.

King Kai's voice sounds like he's on his last legs. I can't remember what his voice was like in earlier years and I'm not sure if that voice is just a part of his character, but I agree it sounds off.
Ryuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 09:01   Link #117
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

The thing is, Nozawa was specifically cast by Toriyama. He has stated that Nozawa is how Goku should sound in his mind. And even if you don't like her voice, it's hard to deny she has maintained the same energetic character now for decades, as well a wide range in age of others in the Son family.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 09:29   Link #118
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
The thing is, Nozawa was specifically cast by Toriyama. He has stated that Nozawa is how Goku should sound in his mind. And even if you don't like her voice, it's hard to deny she has maintained the same energetic character now for decades, as well a wide range in age of others in the Son family.
AFAIK & IIRC, Toriyama himself handpicked Nozawa and said those compliments when she voiced child-Goku (which I agree was a brilliant casting). But when the story reached the point where Goku has become an adult, Toriyama just go with the flow with the studio’s decision to maintain Nozawa coz they were afraid that they might lose the audience if they recast Nozawa. They don’t want to take the risk and even made her voicing more characters like adult-Gohan/Goten and Bardock (I can feel the casting-lazyness there). They were just playing it safe IMO.
Old 2015-07-13, 09:29   Link #119
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I often see this used as a defense of those who like Nozawa for adult-Goku. But the thing is, adult-Goku doesn’t even sound like a man at all (let alone manly-man, as far as my experience goes).
Most cartoon characters don't really sound or look like real human beings in many ways. It's part of the stylized nature of anime. Do you find it as annoying that Goku also has hair that makes no sense according to any laws of either gravity or perspective, or that his eyes occupy a way bigger percentage of his face that they ought to? Why is his voice the one detail that has an obligation to be "realistic"? That's my point, mainly. I'm not denying that the voice can sound WEIRD, especially if you're used to the dubs, which mostly make it sound as manly and deep as you'd imagine. But there's no reason why they would have had to recast it if that's exactly how it was intended to be in the first place. Masako Nozawa's voicework is of the same good quality it always has been, and the stylistic decision has been taken a long time ago. And don't forget, the Japanese public usually favours cute over exceedingly manly:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...irbyIsHardcore

Old 2015-07-13, 09:41   Link #120
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Most cartoon characters don't really sound or look like real human beings in many ways. It's part of the stylized nature of anime. Do you find it as annoying that Goku also has hair that makes no sense according to any laws of either gravity or perspective, or that his eyes occupy a way bigger percentage of his face that they ought to? Why is his voice the one detail that has an obligation to be "realistic"? That's my point, mainly.
Then how come Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta, and Broly (which came from the same race as Goku) have the luxury of “proper man-voices” but not adult-Goku? They have the similar "weird" hair (maybe not Nappa coz he's bald) and body-type and are all Saiyans.

Tags
action, dragon ball z, shounen, super powers, tragedy